• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Knee Replacement tomorrow (Oct 2, 2019)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So glad your surgery went well. No one who takes pain medication when they are actually in pain gets addicted. As the days proceed you should need less pain medication. If you wait to long or don’t take any pain medication you actually heal slower because then you don’t want to move.

Take the meds when you need to don’t take them when your not in pain.

A month seems like a very short recovery time. Hope all goes well for you!

Thanks. I agree about using pain meds correctly. I’m good at that.

I’m only taking four and a half weeks off because I have that much sick time accrued. I work a desk job, so sitting at my desk after a month of recovery should be good. I’ll still be healing up when I go back, but it shouldn’t be bad. Wish me luck!

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Aaannd, I'm home. I was discharged late this morning. So now the recovery and healing really begins. Pain is under control, swelling is pretty intense, but I was warned it would be. Rest, ice, meds, physical therapy, and attending a slug of different followup appointments this month are my focus now.

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. It's been a long time coming, and now I'm glad this surgery is done. The rest will be a piece of cake. :)

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Glad to hear your surgery went well and you are home recovering.
Soon you will be up and dancing!
Silentg

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey man. Glad it went well.

Just wanted to know if you got the Kirkland model knee surgery? :eek:

Speedy recovery!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so please your surgery was a success. Please follow the doctors orders and walk gently on that knee asap. You must walk and use your new knee. Now you can enjoy your retirement with very little pain or know pain at all with your new knee. Oh. Now you can have that cake and eat it with that new knee. IMHO.:thumbup:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just wanted to know if you got the Kirkland model knee surgery? :eek:

Speedy recovery!

Why, yes. Yes, I did. It came in a two-pack. ;)

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Aaannd, I'm home. I was discharged late this morning. So now the recovery and healing really begins. Pain is under control, swelling is pretty intense, but I was warned it would be. Rest, ice, meds, physical therapy, and attending a slug of different followup appointments this month are my focus now.

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. It's been a long time coming, and now I'm glad this surgery is done. The rest will be a piece of cake. :)

Dave

Hey Dave! Glad it all went well and you're home in recovery mode. I hope you have a full & speedy return to 100% pain free mobility.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I’ve been in the room almost 24 hours and have already seen PT twice. Walking, steps, tricks on being safe getting around. I’m being discharged shortly. Then taking the rest of the month off to recover.

I’m a wimp for pain, so follow doctors orders and medication plans to the letter.

@LisaH: Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Dave

Great! Glad everything turned out good! Speedy recovery wished for you!

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you are still managing the pain now that you are home. My husband also went home about 24hours after his replacement. The pain kicked in really hard the next day and he wished that he stayed in the hospital longer. I know you are in good hands. Please take good care of yourself!

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear all went well. Keep up the PT

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear you are doing well. Prayers for a quick and healthy recovery. PT always pays off.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Here's to a quick recovery!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just curious whether you could have stayed in hospital longer?

They didn’t really give me the option. I was alert and mobile, all systems functioning, so I was ready to come home. If I’d had any complications, I’m sure they’d have let me stay. I didn’t sleep well that night, because they kept waking me up to see how well I was sleeping. ;) (You know how hospitals are.) I slept great in my own bed last night.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They didn’t really give me the option. I was alert and mobile, all systems functioning, so I was ready to come home. If I’d had any complications, I’m sure they’d have let me stay. I didn’t sleep well that night, because they kept waking me up to see how well I was sleeping. ;) (You know how hospitals are.) I slept great in my own bed last night.
That's an odd American hospital custom- especially since they, better than most, should know the healing power of sleep. During my stay in the German hospital last year, they only took vitals 3 times a day- on wakeup, sometime around mid-day and at bedtime. Back home, I swear it was nearly hourly.

Glad you're doing as well as you seem to be. You have a good team pulling for you.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, so glad that everything is happening at this pace. It is up to you to keep this momentum going & I know you will do what is necessary

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, guys. I’m doing my part. As the swelling goes down, the better things will be. After that, it’s all about time to heal. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad to hear your surgery went well and you are home recovering.
Soon you will be up and dancing!
Silentg

Reminds me of the guy who asked his doctor, “After this operation, will I be able to play the piano?”

The doctor says, “Yes, no question about it. You will.”

“Great!” says the guy. “I’ve always wanted to play the piano.”

:)

Dave

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Dave, I’m glad to hear your surgery went well. My uncle had both knees replaced several years ago and he has been very happy with them. Here’s to a speedy recovery for you.

Best regards.

Mike

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Glad you are home and the surgery went well. My good friend just had the same surgery in August. Take it easy. Do not push yourself. She tried to do the stairs when her "Get Well" flowers arrived and the florist called. It sent her in a bout of pain. Good luck with the PT.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, I’m glad to hear your surgery went well. My uncle had both knees replaced several years ago and he has been very happy with them. Here’s to a speedy recovery for you.

Best regards.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. They did my left knee six years ago, and wanted to do them both at the same time. I said No way. I didn’t know what to expect, and wanted to take it slow. Glad I did. An artificial joint helps in some ways, but not in others. The arthritis pain is gone, but the joint is never as strong as a real joint.

This time around, it’s the right knee, which brings its own list of issues, (e.g. Driving - that’s the gas pedal foot.) So I want to be sure I’m ready for each phase of my recovery.

I can’t imagine having both knees done at the same time. Kudos to those who can do that.

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Thanks, Mike. They did my left knee six years ago, and wanted to do them both at the same time. I said No way. I didn’t know what to expect, and wanted to take it slow. Glad I did. An artificial joint helps in some ways, but not in others. The arthritis pain is gone, but the joint is never as strong as a real joint.

This time around, it’s the right knee, which brings its own list of issues, (e.g. Driving - that’s the gas pedal foot.) So I want to be sure I’m ready for each phase of my recovery.

I can’t imagine having both knees done at the same time. Kudos to those who can do that.

Dave
I've had both of my knees done, and I'd recommend spending as much time as you can on a stationary bike. I also rode my bike outside once the weather improved (both knees were replaced one year apart in October). I still get some tightness when I'm standing too long, but my knees feel stronger than before the surgery.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone reminded me that at one time after knee replacement it was routine to take shots in the abdominal area daily to prevent blood clots

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your recovery. I am a home health PT and rehab a lot of knees. One of the keys is to keep the swelling down. If your PT hasn't told you already along with the ice and hourly walking it is the HEIGHT of the elevation that is key when you are at rest during the day. Foot= or above heart level (and in extension) and not just up on an ottoman or straight out on your recliner.