• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After 3 Vaping Deaths, CDC Recommends Not Using E-Cigarettes

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Let me preface this by saying I once did smoke, but no longer do and have no concerns about being around those that do. Other factors may be involved with those that develop cancer and have in some way been exposed to second hand smoke.

Is Secondhand Smoke as Bad as We Think It Is?
https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/10/20/is-secondhand-smoke-as-bad-as-we-think-it-is/

"The American Lung Association states that over 41,000 people die due to secondhand smoke per year—approximately 7,330 from lung cancer and 33,950 from heart disease. I question these facts though because, how can you determine that secondhand smoke was the cause of someone’s death? There are so many factors that go into a person’s death; how can their lung cancer or heart disease definitively be linked to secondhand smoke? It just seems like a stretch to me, especially because they provided no scientific proof."

"This study looked at over 76,000 women and found that there is a strong link between smoking cigarettes and lung cancer, which at this point is a well-known fact, but they did not find a link between lung cancer and secondhand smoke."

"The study, however, only covers the link between secondhand smoke and lung cancer, and doesn’t take into account its effects on asthma, heart disease, and other negative consequences that are generally believed to be associated with secondhand smoke. This study seemingly doesn’t actually have that surprising of a conclusion, as it is already largely believed and known that at low exposure levels to secondhand smoke, the risk will not be that great."

"Out of the 40,000 women who reported never having smoked, approximately 10% of them—about 4,000—reported no exposure to secondhand smoke and only 152 of them developed lung cancer during the follow-up. These numbers are incredibly small, especially compared to the 76,304 participants, and you cannot draw any hard conclusions, especially one that is so strong and contrary to normal thought, from this small of a sample size."

Is Second-Hand Smoke Really that Dangerous?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/look-it-way/200907/is-second-hand-smoke-really-dangerous

"The largest and longest study (Enstrom & Kabat) followed more than 35,000 subjects for almost 40 years and found no significant risk associated with second-hand smoke. Similarly, the World Health Organization spent seven years at a dozen research centers in seven countries and came to the same conclusion"

"So, I have to wonder - bottom line - about genetic pre-dispositions to cancer. Are some people hair-trigger loaded to come down with lung cancer if they're exposed to lots of smoke, a little smoke or no smoke at all? It would explain why some people smoke all their lives and suffer not at all while others don't smoke and suffer respiratory disorders. It would also explain why Asians (Chinese and Japanese smoke all the time) don't have the same rate of lung cancer deaths that Americans do."

This ties into the current Draconian anti-vaping movement underway. I don't know of one published autopsy or medical study that definitely shows that vaping, in and of itself, was the cause of death. What the individual inserts into the device, of their own free will or purchases on the street corner is a concern and should be.

Proven unbiased correlation and unsubstantiated opinions are quite different.
These are some quotes from your posts in this thread:

“And yes, it is an addiction just like many other addictions and yes, they can be quite complicated. I've seen what addiction can do to anyone, even those who believe they are somehow above such behavior.”

“I can tell you don't fully understand the heartbreak this causes both the individual and the families of those that suffer from any form of addiction.”

“Many vaping products have been found to contain potentially harmful substances, including flavoring chemicals, Vitamin E acetate and other oils used for vaping marijuana.”

“The inhalation of burning tobacco is well established to be carcinogenic. That means smoking can cause cancer. It is established science. Smoking contributes in a major way to almost all cancers, especially lung cancer and heart disease.”

“It kills more than 480,000 Americans each year. For every person who dies this year from smoking, there are over 30 Americans who continue to live with a smoking-related disease.”

“I won’t endorse or condemn vaping, however, we need to ask ourselves if we ban vaping, do we also ban tobacco and alcohol. These are just two products we know to cause death and serious health issues.”

Now you’ve found what appears to be a blog post apparently written by someone who was a student at Penn State in 2016 when the post was written. Who is she? What are her credentials? I don’t know the answer to those questions but her current LinkedIn page shows that she is the founder of a production company that she runs in Philadelphia. She also organizes and supports women’s causes and charitable events. She sounds like a great person and very caring. However, she does not appear to be an expert in health and science. The blog is her opinion based on her non-expert reading of a couple of studies. She even says “I question these facts...”

When anybody starts questioning “facts”, I’m done with them. The definition of fact according to Merriam-Webster:

a: something that has actual existence - space exploration is now a fact
b: an actual occurrence - prove the fact of damage
2: a piece of information presented as having objective reality - These are the hard facts of the case.
3: the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY a question of fact hinges on evidence
4: a thing done: such as
a: CRIME accessory after the fact
barchaic : ACTION
obsolete : FEAT
5archaic : PERFORMANCE, DOING
in fact
: in truth - He looks younger, but in fact, he is 60 years old.

In one of your posts above, you chastised me for being uncaring about people addicted to smoking. Yet, in many of your other posts, as copied above, you state how bad tobacco smoking is and how many deaths are attributable to it each year. Now, you link up o a blog post arguing that second-hand smoke isn’t really that bad.

Explain to us, please, WITH FACTS, how inhaling tobacco smoke is very harmful to the person holding the cigarette, but not to those in close proximity who are also inhaling the toxic smoke.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are some quotes from your posts in this thread:

“And yes, it is an addiction just like many other addictions and yes, they can be quite complicated. I've seen what addiction can do to anyone, even those who believe they are somehow above such behavior.”

“I can tell you don't fully understand the heartbreak this causes both the individual and the families of those that suffer from any form of addiction.”

“Many vaping products have been found to contain potentially harmful substances, including flavoring chemicals, Vitamin E acetate and other oils used for vaping marijuana.”

“The inhalation of burning tobacco is well established to be carcinogenic. That means smoking can cause cancer. It is established science. Smoking contributes in a major way to almost all cancers, especially lung cancer and heart disease.”

“It kills more than 480,000 Americans each year. For every person who dies this year from smoking, there are over 30 Americans who continue to live with a smoking-related disease.”

“I won’t endorse or condemn vaping, however, we need to ask ourselves if we ban vaping, do we also ban tobacco and alcohol. These are just two products we know to cause death and serious health issues.”

Now you’ve found what appears to be a blog post apparently written by someone who was a student at Penn State in 2016 when the post was written. Who is she? What are her credentials? I don’t know the answer to those questions but her current LinkedIn page shows that she is the founder of a production company that she runs in Philadelphia. She also organizes and supports women’s causes and charitable events. She sounds like a great person and very caring. However, she does not appear to be an expert in health and science. The blog is her opinion based on her non-expert reading of a couple of studies. She even says “I question these facts...”

When anybody starts questioning “facts”, I’m done with them. The definition of fact according to Merriam-Webster:

a: something that has actual existence - space exploration is now a fact
b: an actual occurrence - prove the fact of damage
2: a piece of information presented as having objective reality - These are the hard facts of the case.
3: the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY a question of fact hinges on evidence
4: a thing done: such as
a: CRIME accessory after the fact
barchaic : ACTION
obsolete : FEAT
5archaic : PERFORMANCE, DOING
in fact
: in truth - He looks younger, but in fact, he is 60 years old.

In one of your posts above, you chastised me for being uncaring about people addicted to smoking. Yet, in many of your other posts, as copied above, you state how bad tobacco smoking is and how many deaths are attributable to it each year. Now, you link up o a blog post arguing that second-hand smoke isn’t really that bad.

Explain to us, please, WITH FACTS, how inhaling tobacco smoke is very harmful to the person holding the cigarette, but not to those in close proximity who are also inhaling the toxic smoke.

I can certainly understand your point of view, unfortunately I'm not going to debate the right or wrong of either viewpoints.

I've noted my opinion and you've noted yours so, we can simply agree to disagree. I'm afraid obstinacy is not going to met with more obstinacy. ;)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wal Mart just announced they are going to stop selling e cigarettes.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can certainly understand your point of view, unfortunately I'm not going to debate the right or wrong of either viewpoints.

I've noted my opinion and you've noted yours so, we can simply agree to disagree. I'm afraid obstinacy is not going to met with more obstinacy. ;)
Or facts, apparently. Good day.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can you determine that secondhand smoke was the cause of someone’s death? There are so many factors that go into a person’s death; how can their lung cancer or heart disease definitively be linked to secondhand smoke?"

I've always wondered about this...

George

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
How much does genetics play into this? Why do some people smoke tobacco for 50 hears and no lung cancer or COPD? The % of people smoking tobacco today is drastically less that the 1960's. But the number of cases of lung cancer and COPD have not been reduced the same amount.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because medical knowledge has increased and medical care has tremendously improved so we can cure some and keep many more alive for much longer. But, they are still living with cancer and heart disease. The one thing that hasn’t changed; smoking itself is no safer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Vaping should be a no no for teenagers.