• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The trouble with internet recipes

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So after 43 years, I'm a little tired of the same old recipes so once in awhiile I will go to the internet and look up recipes for ingredients I have and see what comes up.

The problem is I have had more fails than successes. I don't know if people miss type the ingredients or if our tastes are so different. I try to use recipes that have some kind of a rating and other folks have tried but I just end up frustrated with the result.

It is not that I can't cook, I am a pretty good cook usually.

Today I made a green tomato enchilada sauce. It tasted ok...my DH will like it but the recipe said that it makes 7 pints....I got 2 out of it.

Guess I will go back to regular cookbooks.....at least then I know the recipes have been tested

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the recipes that have a picture or video to go along with it. Having said that, 50% of the time, the final product does not always look like the picture/video.

Reactions: Arb

Cruisin14fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Surfside Inn , The Quarterhouse, Marriotts Willow Ridge
I've had really good luck with the Pioneer Woman recipes. I've tried 4 of them and all have been keepers in this house. I found the meatloaf my Mom used to make on Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) website. Maybe try to stick to Food Network chefs and cookbook brands. Creativity keeps cooking fun, so keep trying.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stick with the pros. I like the recipes from Chef John. The videos that go with the recipe make the outcome foolproof.

My favorite recipe for short ribs is from Gordon Ramsey.

I also like America's Test Kitchen recipes. The internet access with videos requires a subscription, but the cookbook is reasonably priced.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been told that I am an excellent cook... I look for several recipes for a dish which I want to make and then create my own recipe. I make my own judgment as to whether an ingredient sounds good or off and make adjustments including amount. I have not really had failures using modified internet recipes.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never rely on one online recipe. I view at least two or three, and sometimes more to see if anything stands out. Standing out can be that all the recipes call for the same ingredient, or maybe that only one calls for a specific ingredient. Or the amount of salt might be way off in one recipe.
Then I pick and choose what I want from several recipes and I don't remember ever having a fail. But not every try has bees spectacular either...

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I have been told that I am an excellent cook... I look for several recipes for a dish which I want to make and then create my own recipe. I make my own judgment as to whether an ingredient sounds good or off and make adjustments including amount. I have not really had failures using modified internet recipes.

I know that your husband states you are equal to a five star chef. He's a lucky man! You, and others, helped me with the Costco rib eye caps for which I am appreciative. And even though we can no longer get them there, I have, and will, use the process over and over again. :thumbup:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have been able to save the recent ones ( using up my garden tomatoes). The problem with this last one was not the flavor but the fact it only made 2 pints instead of 7....thats a big difference.

I think you all are correct, I need to just stick to the pros

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Another vote for America's Test Kitchen recipes and Chef John, who is soo approachable. I find several recipes for the same items and judge liquid/volume and flavor factor in spices/herbs. Then, I create my own version. Sometimes, I don't make notes and cannot remember what I ended up in the final product. The key is to find a good base recipe and then, make your changes to suit your tastes and preferences. Cook's Illustrated, the magazine version of the ATK, used to have variations at the end of the recipes. Then, you just build your own repertoire. Good luck.

cybernaut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seattle, Washington and Princeville, Kauai
I have had really good luck with Allrecipies.com. You can see the different recipes for the same item with the approval ratings from those who tried it. I will often then tweak the recipe with variations from the multiple submissions.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I also use Allrecipes.com and make adjustments based on the comments of people who've made it. I have stopped trying recipes from an individual's blog unless it's someone I know or who has some professional experience. I tried one blogger's recipe that was a complete failure. The method she used for making one of the steps just didn't work and ended up turning what was supposed to be a caramel mixture into a hard chunk of sugar. I'm a good cook and know how to read and follow recipes, so I didn't believe it was my error. I left a comment describing the issue...and she didn't ever let the comment appear! When I looked at the comments about the recipe they were from people raving about how good it looked, not actually having tried it! I'm guessing she didn’t want to loose any blog followers/revenue by having a “real” comment that criticized her recipe on the blog.