• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Back to college at age 71.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Glynda, you are AWESOME! I love that "you're going for it" in your college Italian class and are acing it! You're an inspiration to me, and I thank you for sharing.

Thank you so much! I'm sure you have your own inspiration that keeps you learning, whatever and however it is.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it’s fantastic! You go girl! I think the more you immersed yourself in the culture and are in Italy it will make it easier to learn to field fluently.

I always thought about learning another language like Spanish or Italian but never set my mind to it.

When we move to NH we will be close to a community college and about 25 miles from a state university and so am going to take some classes in whatever interests me from time to time as I enjoy learning and the college atmosphere.

Best of luck!

I agree on the need for immersion. That's coming up. There are a number of courses I would like to take at the college. One this semester was in the Music Department. It was something like the Beatles and their Influence on Music and Society. Hey, I lived that! Still have my scrapbook! There's a class in the Italian Department on Italian fashion. I'd love to take that!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I admire your ambition!

And my 20 year-old self from my undergrad days cringes at the “non-trad” student breaking the curve.

My today self says “good for you, show them how it’s done!”

:D That's funny. I hadn't thought of that till this post. I think she's already re-established "the curve." I went to her office after about three weeks into the semester. I was astonished when she told me that 30% of the students were not doing their homework, most of which is assigned and completed online. She told me that most of the young people who do their homework do not take the opportunity offered them online to correct their errors and re-submit the homework ! The program gives the student up to 5 tries! I was, and still am, astonished. I'm going to have a talk with my granddaughter who is going to college next year about this! Anyway, last week in class, almost halfway into the semester, our instructor announced that up until that day, she was giving everyone 100% on their homework. She cited the week we missed for the storm, that some had technical problems getting set up online and others didn't buy the textbook & key till late. Hmmm... OK. I'm glad for them. I especially feel for anyone who may not have been able to afford the $330 textbook though it covers four semesters of Italian. Two years which is the language requirement for most majors. She's giving a lot of opportunities for extra credit as well but the two I've been to only resulted in three other students participating.

I'm glad for your "today self"! Thanks!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Made me remember, I was an 18 year old sophomore enrolled in Russian history which met in the evening. The class had maybe ten undergrads and forty teachers enrolled in a masters program. So intimidating!

I can see how that would be.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No doubt! I specifically remember a conversation during a group study session in the dorms where we were all complaining about the adult students “actually wanting to learn” (the class content covered material needed for a professional certification exam).
So misguided!

That's just sad. But I remember my first two years in college. Having been raised as an only child in a very strict home, I was somewhat "free" for the first time in my life. I had so many new friends and dorm mates to get to know. There was peer pressure and a big adjustment. Lack of sleep, not so much for studying as staying up late getting to know these girls, dancing in halls, playing cards, etc. And this was a very strict girl's two year Baptist college. When I married after those two years, I went to work and helped put hubby through school and had our daughter just before he graduated. I stayed home with her for a year and then went back to college, began teaching, and on to get my master's at night and over two summer's. I made honor roll those last years. The first two, I just squeaked by in a lot of courses. When this instructor told me about the kids not doing homework or even correcting it, I asked her she thought it was "generational"? She didn't. She thought some smaller colleges are taking "what they can get". By that I assumed she meant it was resulting in a "dumbing down" of excellence.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wasn’t that I didn’t want to learn, and it was interesting,but just about everything was new and it was geared to the graduate level. And I was taking five other classes too,

I understand that. I know how much time I have to spend on this class and these freshmen have five to six classes total. Some more important and harder than Italian. Stress, lack of sleep and the adjustment to being away from home along with peer pressure, social media and extra curricular activities. I don't how they do it. A friend said that at that age, "they are little sponges just soaking it up." I hope so.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love it @Glynda . Retirement is on the horizon for us - we're not quite there but it's close enough that we are beginning to make decisions that will affect our lives going forward. We have decided to stay in our house for as long as possible (lol - just because we don't want to deal with moving) so we are doing as many projects as possible to reduce long term maintenance for us. That part as been relatively easy but thinking about what our lives will look like without the structure of work has been one of the more challenging things for me. As much as we love traveling, we feel like we probably don't want to spend more than 4 - 6 weeks a year away from home, so that leaves over 40 weeks to fill and I have been wondering what to do. You are an inspiration to me. I hadn't considered classes, but we live within 30 minutes of 4 universities and 4 community colleges, so I think that I will start looking in that direction.

Good luck with the class. It sounds like you will do well!

Thanks! Glad I could implant that information. Also look into Senior Centers that offer many activities and classes as well as volunteer work. I wish there were more hours in the day to do all that I'd like around here. I think you'll fill your time easily!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes, you are an inspiration
I'll be looking at the senior tuition waiver program in Virginia

Great! From, https://www.moneycrashers.com/college-classes-seniors/, I found this:

"In Virginia, the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974 requires all colleges in the state to allow senior citizens to audit up to six classes per semester – including up to three for-credit classes and three not-for-credit classes – free of charge.

In addition, seniors with a taxable income of $23,850 or less can take classes for credit without paying tuition or fees, except for lab fees and other materials required for a course. The law applies to people at least 60 years old who have lived in Virginia for at least one year."

While for South Carolina:
"South Carolina state law Title 59, Chapter 111, Article 5 grants free tuition for both credit and non-credit classes to residents age 60 and older. The law applies to all “state-supported colleges and universities.” Seniors must meet the admission requirements for the school, and classes are offered on a space-available basis. Students are responsible for the cost of textbooks, lab fees, and any other fees for a particular course."

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's just so fun to go to school. I love it. I have always told Rick that I would be a lifetime student, if it wasn't so expensive. How fun for you! Enjoy every minute!

I am also learning Italian but only for a one-week trip to Italy followed by a Mediterranean cruise next April. I am working hard at it, but I would love to go to college to learn it better. I just don't have the time. Imagine that. I have no time to learn a language in school, but here I am, trying to learn it on my own. This could be a disaster. My daughter-in-law is also learning Italian. We will see who gets further. I would bet she will.

I love going to school too! I felt like I used to feel when my mother took me shopping every year for school supplies when getting myself "organized" for school this year. Choosing just the right notebook, news pens and pencils...still a kid!

I don't know which areas and cities you will be visiting in Italy, but in any tourist area you probably won't need any Italian, though it is nice to address Italians in their language with a hello and good-bye, please and thank you. You'l probably find that they want to practice their English on you and won't want to speak Italian with you. Many tourist area restaurants have English menus available or use both languages on the menu. And there's always Google translate to quickly look something up. But if you really want to learn, immersion, a class or even podcasts help a lot. Since you don't have a lot of time, I've found the podcast "5 Minute Italian" to be super helpful. I also like the podcast, "Coffee Break Italian."

Good luck with it!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The company that manages my CCRC here in Fort Worth, Pacific Retirement Services, is in the process of building a new CCRC on the campus of Arizona State University. If I were a few years younger (I'm 84), I would try to transfer there so I could attend classes...

George

Maybe there is something similar near you.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love going to school too! I felt like I used to feel when my mother took me shopping every year for school supplies when getting myself "organized" for school this year. Choosing just the right notebook, news pens and pencils...still a kid!
She isn't 71, but our Daughter-in-Law went back to college (for credit) at 44- she already had an RN. She graduated Summa cum Laude last May and started her Masters program at 47 last month. It's challenging, but she's loving it. She's aiming to get her doctorate and be a hospital or non-profit administrator. She's the first in her family to even go to college. Her Mexican family did stoop farm labor. We are VERY proud of her.

Jim

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She isn't 71, but our Daughter-in-Law went back to college (for credit) at 44- she already had an RN. She graduated Summa cum Laude last May and started her Masters program at 47 last month. It's challenging, but she's loving it. She's aiming to get her doctorate and be a hospital or non-profit administrator. She's the first in her family to even go to college. Her Mexican family did stoop farm labor. We are VERY proud of her.

Jim

With good reason! Good for her!