• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fixed Check-in Day of the Week (Fri,Sat,Sun)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I own a fixed week, and it is automatically reserved for me for a certain check-in day of the week (let's say Friday for example). But, this day of the week (e.g. Friday) is not listed in any documents or on the website. It's not in the "What I Own" section on the Vistana website, it's not in the deed, and it's not mentioned in any of the association documents, unless I missed something.

If I am buying another fixed week, how to find out which fixed check in day of the week is in this ownership, before I sign anything?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
On two of our three resales with fixed weeks, it was written by hand on the Estoppel after the Year of Use Rights: Annual section. However, the third does not have this notation.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
On two of our three resales with fixed weeks, it was written by hand on the Estoppel after the Year of Use Rights: Annual section. However, the third does not have this notation.

Mine is not on the estoppel. But when Vistana prepared your estoppel that had fixed check-in day of the week notation, they must have taken this info from somewhere. Where? How does Vistana determine which fixed check-in day of the week you own?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
For some reason I thought all fixed weeks carried a Friday check-in day. Do either of you have a fixed week check-in day other than Friday?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some reason I thought all fixed weeks carried a Friday check-in day. Do either of you have a fixed week check-in day other than Friday?

Two Fri's and one Sun i think

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Mine is not on the estoppel. But when Vistana prepared your estoppel that had fixed check-in day of the week notation, they must have taken this info from somewhere. Where? How does Vistana determine which fixed check-in day of the week you own?
I think specific units have specific check in days. The original offering might list which units are associated with which check in day.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I think specific units have specific check in days. The original offering might list which units are associated with which check in day.

That was my thought as well, but for example for WKORV I read the entire governing documents file and could not find that. They keep referring to "Reservation Rules" throughout the document, and by the wording of it those Reservation Rules may contain those check-in days of the week provisions, but I could not find those Reservation Rules anywhere. They say those rules are in the VSN rules documents, but they are not there:

Res.png

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
A reservation for a Fixed Week is automatic and the specific dates will show on the "My Vacations" box on the owner's Vistana Dashboard. If you are buying, you could require the owner to provide a screen shot showing the current reservation (there will always be a current reservation because the usages are always one year apart -- unless the owner opted out of the Fixed Week).

i realize that's a cumbersome approach, but it will get you the info you need if the seller co-operates (and if the seller doesn't co-operate, that's all you need to know vis a vis that particular transaction).

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
A reservation for a Fixed Week is automatic and the specific dates will show on the "My Vacations" box on the owner's Vistana Dashboard. If you are buying, you could require the owner to provide a screen shot showing the current reservation (there will always be a current reservation because the usages are always one year apart -- unless the owner opted out of the Fixed Week).

i realize that's a cumbersome approach, but it will get you the info you need if the seller co-operates (and if the seller doesn't co-operate, that's all you need to know vis a vis that particular transaction).

The important question is: "Is the check in day of the week fixed?" And if yes, then "Which document shows the fixed check in date?"

So far I failed to find any document that would show it. I suspect that it is not fixed "legally" anywhere.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
The SVR Spas docs contains the following verbiage (bolding mine) -- there's probably something similar in the others:

“Unit Week” shall mean that period of time consisting of seven (7) days during which the Owner(s) thereof
shall be entitled to the possession and use of a Unit committed to the Time Sharing Plan of the Condominium. Each
Unit committed to the Time Sharing Plan contains fifty-two (52) Unit Weeks which can be occupied each year and
an additional seven (7) day period of time which will occur only during certain years (the “53rd Week”). The 53rd
Week is further defined below and shall not be considered a Unit Week as provided for herein and in the Declaration
unless specifically indicated. Each Unit Week shall commence at noon on the Turnover Day and shall terminate at
noon on the Turnover Day seven days later. The Turnover Day for the separate phases of this Condominium may be
different. The Turnover Day for the Unit Weeks in Phases V and VI shall be Friday. In other words, Unit Week
No. 1 is the seven (7) day period commencing at noon on the first applicable Turnover Day in each calendar year;
Unit Week No. 2 is the seven (7) day period commencing at noon on the Turnover Day next following the first
Turnover Day in each year. Additional Unit Weeks up to and including Unit Week No. 52 are computed in a like
manner.
The 53rd Week shall be the seven (7) day period following the end of Unit Week No. 52 and terminating at
noon on the first applicable Turnover Day of the next calendar year, but shall only exist and follow Unit Week No.
52 if Unit Week No. 52 ends in the same calendar year in which the preceding Unit Week No. 1 began. Although a
Unit Week shall run from noon on the first applicable Turnover Day of the designated period to noon on the next
applicable Turnover Day, an Owner of a Unit Week will have a right to occupy such Unit Week only in accordance
with the use restrictions set forth in, or promulgated pursuant to the provisions of, Article 21 of the Declaration and
summarized in Section 11 of the Public Offering Statement.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
my text was from SVR.

I suspect when you pay the extra 20% at WKORV your deeded unit/week is locked against a particular checkin date, so its not just for inventory/recording purposes only anymore.

we would have to find someone with the fixed week/unit and see what us different in their specific deed.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
My WKORV deed is fixed week and floating unit, and it contains nothing about check in day of the week. However in real life check in day is fixed. I am trying to find out why it is fixed. I think it should not be fixed, and I believe I should have a choice of a check in day of the the week.

Just like Marriott, I have a fixed week, and I have a choice to reserve Fri,Sat,Sun. With WKORV, I do not have a choice.

I emailed Vistana about it, will see what they reply.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Our WSJ-VGV VOIs are fixed (Friday) - I do not recall if it was stated anywhere. If I want a Saturday/Sunday checkin - then I would have to attempt at 8-10 months out (Owner Float), but would not be our villa, or even our weeks. And I would have to give up my reservation... (nope).

WSJ-VGV are all fixed - and there are Fri/Sat/Sun checkins.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is a difference between fixed weeks and event weeks. Did Vistana sell true fixed weeks in Hawaii?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
There is a difference between fixed weeks and event weeks. Did Vistana sell true fixed weeks in Hawaii?

Every so often I will see a non-51/52 fixed week pop up on Redweek, but I think they were fairly rare.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Mine says "Annual Event, Week 51, Villa: Floating"

But it does not mention the check in day of the week anywhere.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
An event week might be different than a true fixed week. Perhaps someone with a non-event fixed week can confirm whether the check-in day is also fixed. Vistana did sell fixed weeks at least at WKORV. When I purchased, I could have paid extra to fix the week, and then even more to fix the unit.

echino, have you called Vistana Portfolio Services (1-800-743-7654) to see if they can help determine the check-in day, and to see where that information might be documented?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If the question is whether fixed weeks also have a fixed checkin day?
Yes.
(fix week owner gets choice of check in day? No.)

As to where the fixed day is stated?
Don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If the question is whether fixed weeks also have a fixed checkin day?
Yes.

Yes, when a fixed week is pre-booked automatically it is booked for a certain check in day of the week. But what if I would like a different day? For example, if my fixed week is automatically pre-booked for a Friday, can I change it to Saturday instead?

Vistana won't do it, but do they have a right to restrict me only to one certain check in day? The way I read the document, there is no such restriction anywhere and I should have the right to choose which check in day I want, subject to availability. Look at the reservation calendar from the docs. It says check in days are Fri,Sat,Sun.

Marriott has fixed weeks, but I can choose which check in day I want. It should be the same with Vistana, unless I missed the restriction somewhere in the docs.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott has fixed weeks, but I can choose which check in day I want.
These aren't really fixed weeks, they are event weeks. In some cases it was weeks 51 or 52. So you could reserve either. Other weeks like Presidents Week were event weeks with a floating checkin day and unit. Fixed week is rather uncommon these days and when you have a floating checkin day for the same week every year, that is not truly a fixed week but rather what is considered an event week.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
The important question is: "Is the check in day of the week fixed?" And if yes, then "Which document shows the fixed check in date?"

So far I failed to find any document that would show it. I suspect that it is not fixed "legally" anywhere.
I would think it has to be fixed...else you would have days that overlap with another owner, and that would not keep you happy. (Posted by one who owns a specific week in a specified unit (#4115) at WestinSt John.)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would think it has to be fixed...else you would have days that overlap with another owner, and that would not keep you happy. (Posted by one who owns a specific week in a specified unit (#4115) at WestinSt John.)
With multiuple available units, they can pretty easily float the checkin day and make it fit. No one would overlap. Even if a single week and unit was fixed, there is enough slack in inventory and multiple units to make it work. I suspect when they did fix a week and unit, they forced a certain checkin day for that unit?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Look how Marriott works. Fixed week, floating unit, choice of check in day. My WKORV is also fixed week, floating unit, should I also have a choice of check in day?

Hyatts are fixed weeks, fixed unit, and fixed check in day is written in the deed. Nothing about check in day is written in the deed, or any other documents, for WKORV.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Portfolio Services should have the information.