• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another "I've been Bonvoyed" post

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a Cat 4 hotel in February for October that was to be changed to Cat 5. In March, an agent changed an old 5-night Cat 1-5 certificate to the new Cat 1-4 certificate and attached to this reservation.

I have periodically gone in to "view/modify" which showed that it had an e-certificate which would be sent to the hotel. Last night I logged in and checked it it said that I had enough points for this stay and if I wanted to redeem the points now as otherwise it will be deducted 14 days out, meaning that the certificate was deleted from the reservation and it now showed that it needed 140K points as a Cat 5 hotel.

The deleted e-certificate was not returned as an unused certificate.

I called today and spent 2 hours on the phone with a useless rep who put me on hold countless times and repeatedly said she would be emailing to the hotel to "fix" it and that she would deduct 140K from my account. Finally I got her to pass me on to a supervisor who simply created a new Cat 5 certificate and deposited into my account. I also requested that he attach this and another 2 certificates that I have for another 2 stays in 2020 as that first agent said she was unable to see unused certificates. He said he got all 3 attached.

I log in and my 3 unused certificates have not been attached. I will call on Monday as from my experience, I get the worst reps on Fridays and Saturdays.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh, yes, supervisors at least have some chance of fixing it. First line reps, probably not. That's awful! It might show up by Monday. I had a supervisor do something for me once and it took a bit to show on the website. Definitely wasn't real-time. Hoping this will happen for you!

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Something similar happed to us last month. A hotel deducted 200,000 points from my account at checkout for a reservation I booked with a cat 8 (old) certificate. It took several calls and emails but eventually got straightened out, mostly. I still think I'm short some points, but...??? Anyway, they kept telling me I only have cat 1-4 certs in my account. No matter how many times I explained that the cert is no longer in my account because it was removed when I used it to make the reservation. It took me forwarding the confirmation email from July 2018, to 2 different people, including confirmation number and certificate number showing it was booked with cat 8 cert before they acknowledged that they made a mistake.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today is Monday and the unused rewards, 2 Cat 1-4 and 1 Cat 5 (created by "supervisor" last Fri to replace the deleted Cat 1-4 certificate) are still not attached to my 3 reservations. I called this morning and after several holds, the agent said they were unable to attach certificates currently and to call back again over the next few days. He said it is a known problem. WTH! I am thinking the system is now deliberately not allowing certificates to be attached until after 9/14.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today is Monday and the unused rewards, 2 Cat 1-4 and 1 Cat 5 (created by "supervisor" last Fri to replace the deleted Cat 1-4 certificate) are still not attached to my 3 reservations. I called this morning and after several holds, the agent said they were unable to attach certificates currently and to call back again over the next few days. He said it is a known problem. WTH! I am thinking the system is now deliberately not allowing certificates to be attached until after 9/14.
We had a problem with a missing category 6 certificate and got no help until I posted a comment on Marriott's FB page about the lack of customer service. It took a couple of weeks, but it was resolved to our satisfaction. Good luck to you!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone again. Initially the agent said she encountered system error and put me on hold for about 20 minutes to have a supervisor attach the 3 certificates to the 3 stays. The unused certificates disappeared and the 3 reservations continued to show as needing points for the stay. She could not forward anything to me to show that they were done and said it might take 24 hours to populate throughout all systems.

I don't have a good feeling about this. I will give it 24 hours and most likely will need to explain all over again, and unfortunately there won't be 3 unused certificates to show for.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep on it, I am sure you will get there eventually.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
It took me months earlier this year to fix all of my Bonvoyed issues. You need to keep fighting, make sure they document the issues and get case number, so they will investigate. I finally got all of my problems solved with few additional bonuses I don’t know why they gave me, but I just keep them.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Well, I’ve been Bonvoyed right out of a relationship with Bonvoy- nothing in particular, just everything seems difficult, the website is unappealing and clunky. Cancelled my former-SPG/current Bonvoy AMEX cards yesterday- two personal and one business. It was a nice 15 year run, we loved the cards. But really dislike so much about Bonvoy that I couldn’t justify $300 in annual credit card fees to earn points for a hotel loyalty program that I just don’t like.

So we’ll switch to our Hyatt Visa for awhile and probably go with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Hard to imagine not having an Amex after all this time. But life evolves...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the past 6 weeks or so since my first post here on this thread, every couple of days activity log in my account would show many entries of redeemed points and refunded points, 45k and 10k were the numbers. The first line Titanium line reps messed up my account even more with each call and a manager would help undo the bad things done by the rep. In the end, 2 days ago, we simply cancelled our 5 nights stay with today as check in and got the reward cert go back to my unused account. I have 2 5 nights next in Jan and Mar with supposedly attached certs which I cannot see.

We shortened our S. Carolina trip from 5 nights in Charleston, hence the cancelled cert, and to 1 night. I first booked with Marriott using points for a night and changed my mind right after as we really want a break from Marriott. I used Hilton points to book and cancelled the Marriott reservation.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I too am getting out of Marriott and will cancel our cards after our final trip in December. We had a confusing Bonvoy experience with our certificate and I am still a little worried that it hasn't been correctly attached because the reps didn't seem all that confident, but so far it looks like the reservation is still there.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
For the past 6 weeks or so since my first post here on this thread, every couple of days activity log in my account would show many entries of redeemed points and refunded points, 45k and 10k were the numbers. The first line Titanium line reps messed up my account even more with each call and a manager would help undo the bad things done by the rep. In the end, 2 days ago, we simply cancelled our 5 nights stay with today as check in and got the reward cert go back to my unused account. I have 2 5 nights next in Jan and Mar with supposedly attached certs which I cannot see.

We shortened our S. Carolina trip from 5 nights in Charleston, hence the cancelled cert, and to 1 night. I first booked with Marriott using points for a night and changed my mind right after as we really want a break from Marriott. I used Hilton points to book and cancelled the Marriott reservation.

AMEX offered us 20,000 Bonvoy points to stay. I was tempted but in the end told the rep, “I find myself irritated every time I interact with Bonvoy. I would definitely use those points. But life’s too short to be irritated for a few points. Love AMEX, hate Bonvoy, it’s time for us to go.”

That’s saying a lot- me, turning down travel-related free anything, lol. Maybe AMEX can exert some pressure that I cannot as an individual consumer.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I’ve been Bonvoyed right out of a relationship with Bonvoy- nothing in particular, just everything seems difficult, the website is unappealing and clunky. Cancelled my former-SPG/current Bonvoy AMEX cards yesterday- two personal and one business...

A man after my own heart. I have always voted with my feet whenever companies start making my life difficult. I find it easier and more satisfying than hassling with them...

George

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Deleted and moved.

Last edited:

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 category 1-4 5 night certificate. I used one to book a 5 night trip to Zurich next summer but I still see 2 certificate available under my name. Is one of the certificate suppose to go away when book trip? Or will it be removed from account when I check in at the hotel?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have 2 category 1-4 5 night certificate. I used one to book a 5 night trip to Zurich next summer but I still see 2 certificate available under my name. Is one of the certificate suppose to go away when book trip? Or will it be removed from account when I check in at the hotel?
In my experience, it always goes away when you book he trip.