• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help and advice on choosing a mobility scooter for FIL

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
My FIL has mobility problems. On carpeting he can push his wheelchair only about 50 feet and using his walker, he seems to have a range of about 100 feet. Right now he uses a walker to move around his apartment. So, we're wondering if he would get more enjoyment out of having a mobility scooter?

He is 92 y.o., overweight, and has somewhat of a poor balance. Also his hands shake. So we are ruling out powered wheelchairs with a joy-stick and opting for a scooter with a handlebar. Also, we are thinking that for best stability, that a 4 wheel scooter will be more stable. We don't need one that has a large range and don't need one that can go faster than, say, 3 or 4 mph. In fact, one that can go faster might represent a risk. We sold my FIL's car after he had two minor accidents with it and was no longer able to get in and out of the vehicle. So, we really don't need one that can be disassembled for travel.

When I look on-line, I see dozens and dozens of different models of mobility scooters. It is overwhelming. They seem to range in price from about $800 to $5000 or so. But they all seem to do the same basic things. The $800 ones seem to have plenty of speed, and have a range large enough for him, and would probably do what he needs to do. What could a $1600 scooter do that the $800 one would not? The ratings for the cheaper scooters seem very similar to ones costing double or triple. Someone recommended the Pride and Drive manufacturers (lower end scooters).

I'm wondering if there are Tuggers out there than can share their own experience in selecting a mobility scooter for themselves or a loved one. Words of advice? What to avoid? What to look for?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We had to get mobility scooters and wheel chairs a while back. The first one was a Jazzy electric wheel chair. It worked fine on everything but gravel. To get this chair we had to get a prescription from the doctor saying it was needed and then Medicare paid for it. The thing with Medicare is they only pay for one wheel chair so make sure its a good one.

The second mobility scooter was a scooter with a basket. The cost was about $600. It had little wheels and couldn't go across the lawn very good but worked well on flat hard surfaces. The batteries only lasted about a year.

The third mobility scooter was a trike that had larger wheels and could do gravel and uneven surfaces. It would get stuck occasionally and need a push. The cost was about $1800.

For outside use the trike worked best and for inside use the electric wheel chair was best.

Bill

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My FIL will be using the scooter indoors exclusively.

You mentioned that the batteries on the $600 scooter only lasted a year. Was the short life isolated to the cheaper scooter or did all of the scooters and powered devices have a short battery life?

I've read that the batteries should be charged daily and never allowed to deeply discharge if long battery life is hoped for.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For indoor use the Jazzy electric wheel chair was best because it can get into a tighter space like the dinner table and is easier to get out of to use the toilet. Since this was a Medicare paid for chair I'm sure it wasn't the top of the line regarding bells and whistles but it was very comfortable and maneuverable. This chair has a low battery indicator so you know when it needs to charge. The battery pack lasts about 10 months. A new battery pack was about $50 at an auto electric shop.

The scooter was used mostly for going out as it could break down and fit in the trunk. The seat , base, battery pack and basket can be taken apart or assembled in about three minutes. You could use it indoors but they do take up a larger space and are a fall hazard for toilet use, imo.

We didn't do anything special regarding the batteries. We usually had these plugged in when not in use.

Bill

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
When we were on a cruise out of England, we sat in the dining room with a somewhat large British woman who used a mobility scooter. We were so impressed with how easily it folded up with the push of a button and stored away against a column in the dining room. The British woman loved it and told us that the company was in the US. My husband looked into it for my mother and found a distributor in Miami, FL who was the least expensive and who told him that Medicare would pay for 80% of it. It's pricey but the features, the ease of push button folding, weight, and being able to easily remove the battery and take it in the house to charge without bringing in the whole scooter, seemed well worth it especially with Medicare's help. My mother, then 95, said she didn't think she was ready for one (We chuckled and wondered then, just when did she think she would be if not at 95? :)) Here is the link to the one we think it was: https://www.gosolaxscooters.com

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If his doctor prescribes it, Medicare will pay 80% of the rent, then after a time, he will own it. Contact a local medical supply dealer. They will have details, as well as accessories and service plans to keep it working.

And, yes mobility scooters are available to rent on cruise ships.

Jim

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If his doctor prescribes it, Medicare will pay 80% of the rent, then after a time, he will own it. Contact a local medical supply dealer. They will have details, as well as accessories and service plans to keep it working.

And, yes mobility scooters are available to rent on cruise ships.

Jim
Thanks for the advice to contact a local dealer.

I have read of others buying a scooter and getting Medicare to pay 80% and thought that it was a good deal. But hadn't thought of the rental angle/option. My own experience with Medicare and rentals is disappointing. Let me explain - - Medicare provided a wheel chair for my wife after hip surgery. It was a rental, Medicare chose the vendor and Medicare paid about $68 a month for a year. Now, after a year we own the chair. But Medicare paid around $800 for a chair that should have cost around $200. (we appreciated the use of the chair but were disappointed that the government was getting ripped off - - or that Medicare was very poor at making routine buy/rent financial decisions) Why do I say a $200 chair? Because we bought the exact same model chair for my FIL recently for $200 from Costco. So, if my FIL pays 20% of a grossly inflated rental fee, it might not be that good of a deal.

So, we'll look to a local dealer to give us advice on rental versus purchase and whether or not my FIL has a choice or if the decision is in the hands of Medicare. Thanks again for the suggestion and for making us aware of the rental aspect.