• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Ultimate Rewards booking issue - update

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have been searching for somewhat convenient flights from the west coast to St. Thomas for next year and found some pretty good (one layover) flights on American. I can easily book these flights through the American website - and in fact have many one stop choices - but when I search on Chase, there is exactly one flight on American and it's not the one that I want. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone know if I call in if the call center has access to other flights? Is there a better strategy to using Chase points?

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use the Chase portal a few times a year and have always found all of the same options and pricing. I do remember reading that they were changing platform providers to Expedia so it is possible things have changed. I would definitely call in if you don’t see the flights you want. It is possible they don’t have access to them but my bet is that it is related to the way you are searching and the parameters set. For example, maybe the connection time is too tight or something. THe other thing I noticed recently was that my search was defaulting to basic economy tickets on one of the airlines, but clicking through, I was later given the option to purchase regular economy seats.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'd call in.
If it's on the airline's website, they'll likely be able to book it
... even if they have to call the airline to make it happen.
That's what they did for me, although I did have to push a bit.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the input. I can get on the web quickly while I am at work, calls - not so much - so I was hoping to book online. I'll try calling in later today.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are headed to STT next year and I have noticed the same thing. I called Chase Travel last week and was told that they only have access to the flights listed on the Chase site. I thought I had heard otherwise here on TUG, but I didn't push the rep with whom I spoke. We are still hoping to get some discounted flights using miles, but if that doesn't work out I will call Chase Travel again and see if I can get some help with other flight options.

Best regards.

Mike

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are headed to STT next year and I have noticed the same thing. I called Chase Travel last week and was told that they only have access to the flights listed on the Chase site. I thought I had heard otherwise here on TUG, but I didn't push the rep with whom I spoke. We are still hoping to get some discounted flights using miles, but if that doesn't work out I will call Chase Travel again and see if I can get some help with other flight options.

Best regards.

Mike
The flights/prices are so much better that I'm going to pay cash if I can't get it through Chase.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I was just able to book our tickets on Chase this morning. They weren't the exact same flights that I was looking at the other day, but close to the same price, and just one stop. We have a tight connection in Philadelphia (1 hr 17 min) but since we leave at night from San Diego, I am going to hope for the best as we most likely won't have any weather delays. These flights were not available through Chase last week at this price, so the lesson learned is to keep checking every day.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Well, I was just able to book our tickets on Chase this morning. They weren't the exact same flights that I was looking at the other day, but close to the same price, and just one stop. We have a tight connection in Philadelphia (1 hr 17 min) but since we leave at night from San Diego, I am going to hope for the best as we most likely won't have any weather delays. These flights were not available through Chase last week at this price, so the lesson learned is to keep checking every day.

Congratulations. I am still watching and hoping they offer a lower miles price, but will keep an eye on the Chase site too. We are considering a similar flight into Philadelphia with the same layover.

Best regards.

Mike

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations. I am still watching and hoping they offer a lower miles price, but will keep an eye on the Chase site too. We are considering a similar flight into Philadelphia with the same layover.

Best regards.

Mike
Our flights were $675 RT. We could have bought Jet Blue flights for $575 but they had 2 stops (JFK, FLL) and the total travel time was 16.5 hours, which included a red eye. I just couldn't bring myself to book those flights. I was tired just thinking about them.

Our tickets included choosing seats but no bags. Fine for us as we are doing a Tradewinds trip, so we will be packing very light.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@klpca Glad you were able to book your trip. I found the Chase portal and call center much better before the move to Expedia. I had a similar issue with an activity I could find on the Expedia site but not on the Chase Expedia site. They told me that if it was not on the Chase Expedia site you cannot book it. Before Expedia you could always call flights in and they could book even if it weren't on the website.

The Expedia Chase site is wonky. I marked that I didn't want Basic Economy on a flight and it still gave me it in the checkout cart even though it priced out a regular econ ticket upgrade. Had to call in to fix.

The Chase rep provided another option if you are stuck and want to pay with points. You can book the flight using a credit card (not even Chase Card) and then go into Chase rewards and request a cash rebate for the amount against points. Only 1:1 not 1:5 like Chase Travel portal but if you have another credit card that pays you points or other reward for cash, perhaps it helps. I ended up doing this for a tour that I couldn't get via the Chase Portal.

The tradewinds trip sounds fantastic. That's on our bucket list.

Last edited:

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was booking an international flight while calling in to Chase Travel Services. I could see the flight on the Delta app for $757 but Chase tells me their price is $4200. Their cheapest price using alternate flights was still over $1000 so I booked directly with Delta. I I insisted they call Delta and then wouldn’t budge. I was very disappointed.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was booking an international flight while calling in to Chase Travel Services. I could see the flight on the Delta app for $757 but Chase tells me their price is $4200. Their cheapest price using alternate flights was still over $1000 so I booked directly with Delta. I I insisted they call Delta and then wouldn’t budge. I was very disappointed.
That's so ridiculous! That's why I started using my Chase points for excursions (i.e. "things to do") instead of counting on it for airfare. It's very frustrating.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My best deal with CSR UR was buying one-way first class tickets which cost roughly $1260 in total for the 2 of us. We used 84,000 UR points to purchase the flight. We had to cancel our trip and CSR paid us $1260 for our trip cancellation claim. In fact, that trip insurance paid us more than $8K. The claim process was somewhat painful and I suspect was really meant to discourage claims but with perseverance, it paid.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also now finding problems with booking hotels. All options I see on the Chase website are nonrefundable with the same pricing fro refundable rooms on the hotel websites.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am also now finding problems with booking hotels. All options I see on the Chase website are nonrefundable with the same pricing fro refundable rooms on the hotel websites.
Well, I guess that the bloom is off of this rose!

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I guess this is their way of devaluing their points. The 1.5 cents when using for travel isn't really worth 1.5 cents anymore. I need to switch my usage to earn Citi Thank You points now!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is disappointing. :( Since we are close to eliminating international travel altogether, we may also move on from CSR. Its built-in travel insurance has been very valuable for our non-US travel.