• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

These Are the Foods You Should Never, Ever Eat With 6 Medications

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I knew about the greens with blood thinners and grapefruit (but can never remember with any specific medication).

Thank you

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Yes, grapefruit raises hob with many medications. My DW LOVES grapefruit and would peel and eat one like an orange. She had to stop eating it when she started taking thyroid medication.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have taken thyroid med for most of my life. Was never made aware of grapefruit restriction.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Thank you for the post. I have a friend who is undergoing chemo for cancer. She wanted Oatmeal Raisin cookies as she cannot tolerate or taste some foods. I asked about oatmeal cranberry as I have a recipe for that and she could not eat cranberries or have orange juice. It was a cookie recipe with orange zest, too. I never knew.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
The pharmacist in my family eschews grapefruit completely. I think there are even more potential interactions with it than what is listed in that very interesting article.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I drink grapefruit juice every morning. Thankfully so far I am not on any medications.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The risk of Vitamin K with blood thinners is only applicable to Warfarin. Today many people, maybe most, are on Prdaxa, Eliquis or Xarelto. Vitamin K is not an issue with any of these...

George

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Interesting. I have taken thyroid med for most of my life. Was never made aware of grapefruit restriction.
I have also been taking thyroid for most of my life and have never heard that. I do know that soy can be a major problem with thyroid. Soy protein needs to be eaten hours before or after taking thyroid.

You should always take thyroid at least an hour before a meal. I take mine in the middle of the night, strange as it sounds. I get up once to use the restroom and take my pill with some water while I am up. It keeps my thyroid more regulated with my current weight loss journey.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Richard, for sharing this article. I will shared it with others.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I would have sworn head lettuce (like in the photo in the blood thinner paragraph) was the only lettuce our friend COULD eat after his heart blockage. After his health scare, there was always a big discussion with the waiter as to which type of greens were available, and head lettuce was what he needed.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also been taking thyroid for most of my life and have never heard that. I do know that soy can be a major problem with thyroid. Soy protein needs to be eaten hours before or after taking thyroid.

You should always take thyroid at least an hour before a meal. I take mine in the middle of the night, strange as it sounds. I get up once to use the restroom and take my pill with some water while I am up. It keeps my thyroid more regulated with my current weight loss journey.
Cindy, when I did some exploring online about grapefruit and thyroid med, I stumbled upon some info that said caffeine should be avoided for 1+ hours. Well, that's impossible for me. So I started thinking night-time might be better for me.