• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott TS ownership question and Interval

uaremymuse

Reaction score
If I own a Marriott TS and register it with Interval, does Interval offer more Marriott resorts to trade into or for purchasing vacation weeks (Getaways) to me as a client versus what I currently see on Interval as a non Marriott TS owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I own a Marriott TS and register it with Interval, does Interval offer more Marriott resorts to trade into or for purchasing vacation weeks (Getaways) to me as a client versus what I currently see on Interval as a non Marriott TS owner.

I don’t believe so, but you will benefit from a period of priority access to other MVC resorts compared to non MVC owners.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I had a salesperson tell me once that different accounts (based on what you own) see different getaways. I believe that is total BS but I also believe that he believes it to be true.

As mentioned there is a priority period if you are exchanging a Marriott for a Marriott. This means that when a Marriott is deposited it first checks to see if any Marriott owners have an ongoing search for that unit and would go to the one with the strongest request. If no Marriott owner has a request, it will appear in active inventory for up to 24(?) days where only Marriott owners with a strong enough unit can see to make the exchange. If no Marriott owner exchanges during this priority period then it goes to a non Marriott owner with an ongoing search and a strong enough deposit and then becomes available to anyone with a strong enough deposit.

Not all Marriott inventory is deposited with priority. All owner deposits should have priority. Developer deposits may or may not have priority with studios being less likely to be deposited with priority. Also cancellation sometimes appear in open availability without priority.

I have found that easy exchanges like Orlando don't need priority. Really hard exchanges like holiday or whale season 2 BR Hawaii or July SC will be difficult even with priority because there is more demand than supply even among Marriott owners. If you are flexible but want something a little more challenging like SC in mid August or a 2 BR Maui confirmed more than 6 months in advance but are pretty wide open as to the dates having priority can help.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Does buying a Marriott TS on the resell market preclude me from trading within the MVC itself?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does buying a Marriott TS on the resell market preclude me from trading within the MVC itself?

You would be precluded from trading within MVC itself unless you can enrol your resales MVC TS, which would typically require you buying a fair chunk of points from MVC at significant cost.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
So buying a MTS resale through Marriott’s Resale Dept precludes the buyer from using their trading system?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So buying a MTS resale through Marriott’s Resale Dept precludes the buyer from using their trading system?

Buying resale through the resale dept allows you to convert to hotel reward points (not a particularly good value but you can't do it with regular resale.) They also might offer a hybrid points plus a resale week package but don't think you can walk out without paying more than $20,000-$40,000 or more depending on how many points you end up with. Buying a resale through the resale dept does not automatically give you access to the destination club without buying points and it may not be fewer points than would be required to enroll just any old resale.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
No. You can trade for other Marriott weeks through Interval International, but you need to purchase a membership to II first.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
For trading purposes in II for MVC properties is it sufficient to own a studio or should I buy something larger?

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Does anyone have the MVC resale Dept telephone number?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For trading purposes in II for MVC properties is it sufficient to own a studio or should I buy something larger?
First of all a single studio usually has fairly high MF comparatively at the few resorts that offer Marriott studio VOI's. Next I found that in general studios don't have very good trading power in II. I found that while a 1 BR didn't have that much less pull than a full bedroom in terms of visible availability with II, a studio even with priority often couldn't see a fair amount of Marriott availability. Unless you are specifically looking at staying in smaller units only a good low price 2 BR non Marriott would probably get you more than a Marriott studio. I usually locked off my 2 BR Marriott because the 1 BR would usually get the same as the 2 BR but the studio (including the $80 lock off fee) trades were never spectacular.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Thanks so what would you recommend my buying on the resale MVC market for obtaining good trades?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I've gotten good trades with my MGV studio (including Maui and Kauai) but that was trading for a studio. If you're hoping to trade into a larger unit, I wouldn't use a studio.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you like Marriott.....buy a Marriott to trade with. The 'hot' trades are almost always (almost) in Marriott preference. With the Marriott....you're not going to see them.

If 'Marriott' is not important to you....there are other traders that trade very well.....but without Marriott preference.

The drawback? You pay (MF's) for having that preference. It's all about what you're trying to trade into. And when.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the unhappy time share owners are people who bought someplace they didn’t want to be in hopes of getting a trade. If you have lots of flexibility on dates and times then it can work. If you are hoping to get in during the same school/winter/summer break that everyone else then prepare for disappointment. Add on that no one knows what new changes will be made in the next few years as the acquired programs are slowly brought together. May be good and may be bad. Not a knock on resale, I would not buy developer week as a trade for same reason.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Uhm.....

Timeshares take 'time' You need to understand the ability to book, the difficulty in booking, the likelihood of trading etc....

I've had FANTASTIC luck with trading, exchanging and booking.
But, I spend GOBS of time doing it.

Not for the faint of heart or busy or disinterested.
Study first, buy once, buy right.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Getting good II trades is very do-able, but also very strategic in setting yourself up for success, and it takes a LOT of time, but is very well worth it.