• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I own at Sunset Bay, and the increase was exactly the same. 9.4%. I got the letter a couple of days ago.
I got my VGV and SVV, Orlando. Did not get Coral Vista or Sunset Bay.

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
Bay vista went up same percentage

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So... what did the VGV Hurricane insurance plan to cover the deductible do for VGV Owners?

The VGV HOA paid for this over the years as part of our budget.
Inquiring minds would like to know.

Phil? Nicolas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Did you read the letter included from the Association? Insurance costs are risen 150%, increase of utility rates plus planned increase market wage movement.

The cost of paradise!

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
So... what did the VGV Hurricane insurance plan to cover the deductible do for VGV Owners?

The VGV HOA paid for this over the years as part of our budget.
Inquiring minds would like to know.

Phil? Nicolas?

I agree with DavidnRobin - VGV paid into the insurance for years before the hurricane hit... building it up. All phases were damaged (some worse than others), some "newer" phases must not have had a reserve built up like VGV had, but yet it's the same % increase across all phases? That just doesn't seem right.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what doesn't seem right about this? The insurance company is going to raise rates on ALL owners. The deductibles were covered by all phases; the insurance is going up for all as it doesn't matter if reserved or not it is the present risk. I am shocked things are only up 10% when you take into account the 150% rise in premiums and an increased deductible for all phases, as insurance companies aren't going to offer the same low deductible design.

I guess I am not following the logic that VGV failed in reserving, just like Bay Vista did and the others. They were all reserving for the deductible. What changed was an increase in risk following a 100 year storm. I guess I am missing the "gotcha" part of the story here.

This is nothing like the crazy deal on the $25/night fee and unfairness of number or rooms, etc.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Beware the StarFish market...it ain't what it used to be. It's now significantly more expensive than the Gourmet Market or related Dolphin Market in Cruz Bay. I stopped a Starfish today. Found they had absorbed (sort of) the liquor store from across the way. While checking the beer offerings, I found discrepancies of $.50 to $1 on the 3 brands I checked (shelf prices vs. posted list prices)...with no one around to provide clarification. So I put the beer back and turned to looking for a decently priced sipping rum. When checking the Appleton Estate Signature Blend, I found a price of $22.95...and seemed to recall seeing it at a lower price at the unrelated Gourmet Market. So I bypassed the rum, moved the way overpriced cheese from my cart back to the display case, returned the cart, and headed for Gourmet Market. Once there, I purchased beers (3 bottles) that were $.50 to $1 cheaper than at Starfish. The Appleton Estate Rum was $7 less expensive. Cheeses also were about $2 each less than at Starfish. Oh...there as also about a $2 lower price for a can of mixed nuts.

On another note, before going out to a restaurant, be sure to check with them to see if they are open. We failed to do that. Showed up at De' Coal Pot, only to find it closed...with no indication as to when or if it would re-open. We had checked Trip Advisor and seen a review from 4 days ago, so we were not expecting a problem. Neither TripAdvisor nor De' Coal Pot's web page said anything about being closed...both said the restaurant would be open.

Oh...one more gripe: I was pleased to note that a bank now occupies the office formerly used by Scotia (a few years ago). They had two ATMs outside, so I decided to withdraw a bit of cash...only to lfind that there would be a $6 fee for that privilege. I decided I did not need cash that badly.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am not sure what doesn't seem right about this? The insurance company is going to raise rates on ALL owners. The deductibles were covered by all phases; the insurance is going up for all as it doesn't matter if reserved or not it is the present risk. I am shocked things are only up 10% when you take into account the 150% rise in premiums and an increased deductible for all phases, as insurance companies aren't going to offer the same low deductible design.

I guess I am not following the logic that VGV failed in reserving, just like Bay Vista did and the others. They were all reserving for the deductible. What changed was an increase in risk following a 100 year storm. I guess I am missing the "gotcha" part of the story here.

This is nothing like the crazy deal on the $25/night fee and unfairness of number or rooms, etc.

So the supposition is that only VGV didn’t have insurance for the hurricane deductible while the other phases already had that coverage.

Therefore, VGV added to the MF reserves for this coverage while already included in the MF of the other phases?

Is that why the 9.4% increase across the board?

Services have been cut back significantly is also how they kept costs down.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I don’t think this is about the reserves anymore. Reserves are in the past. Reserves are about if we would’ve had to pay for the rebuild, we did that.
This increase is about the NEW costs to running the buildings as they exist today. Insurance costs have risen 150% because the insurance companies everywhere have taken in the shorts because of these two hurricanes. It’s just not USVI that has seen the increase but also Florida and other hurricane affected places. Then add in the higher utility costs etc.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I don’t think this is about the reserves anymore. Reserves are in the past. Reserves are about if we would’ve had to pay for the rebuild, we did that.
This increase is about the NEW costs to running the buildings as they exist today. Insurance costs have risen 150% because the insurance companies everywhere have taken in the shorts because of these two hurricanes. It’s just not USVI that has seen the increase but also Florida and other hurricane affected places. Then add in the higher utility costs etc.

The reserves are part of the MFs.

I am not discussing that VGV MFs shouldn’t go up post-Irma - that is expected.

The discussion is why (if) all phases would go up at the same percentage when VGV deductible was covered.
Or... if VGV HOA didn’t get coverage for the deductible, then VGV would have gone up more than 9.4%?

This means (to me) that the other phases had insurance to cover the deductible while VGV did not.

I hope Bob/Nicolas explain this in their upcoming letter to VGV Iwners.

Last edited:

suzanna945

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
We bought an Explorer Package (now called "Encore" Package, apparently?) a few months before the hurricanes in 2017 and had to book it to use next May before it expires. Now we are trying to add 2 or 3 nights onto the end of it using banked Staroptions, but on the booking calendar nothing is available except the night of the checkout day of our package. We'd be happy just adding that one extra night to the package, but the system won't allow it: the message reads that there is a minimum number of nights that have to be booked. We called Vistana and didn't really get any solid help or explanation, just advice to "keep checking the online booking calendar in case someone cancels." Does this sound right?

Thanks for any advice.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We bought an Explorer Package (now called "Encore" Package, apparently?) a few months before the hurricanes in 2017 and had to book it to use next May before it expires. Now we are trying to add 2 or 3 nights onto the end of it using banked Staroptions, but on the booking calendar nothing is available except the night of the checkout day of our package. We'd be happy just adding that one extra night to the package, but the system won't allow it: the message reads that there is a minimum number of nights that have to be booked. We called Vistana and didn't really get any solid help or explanation, just advice to "keep checking the online booking calendar in case someone cancels." Does this sound right?

Thanks for any advice.
I know there is a three night minimum to book even with HomeOptions. Annoying.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I know there is a three night minimum to book even with HomeOptions. Annoying.

I do know you can’t add one night.
I tried last June - stayed on StT (Anna’s Retreat).

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do know you can’t add one night.
I tried last June - stayed on StT (Anna’s Retreat).

I had to do the same. That is how I found out about the minimum number of nights. I had enough HomeOptions to book 15 nights studio instead of 7 nights 2BR but you can only book 14 nights at a time. When I tried to book the extra night, I ran into the problem

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I got my VGV and SVV, Orlando. Did not get Coral Vista or Sunset Bay.

I also own at Sunset Bay and have not yet received the MF assessment. What is the source of the large increase since assessments have not gone out yet??

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I also own at Sunset Bay and have not yet received the MF assessment. What is the source of the large increase since assessments have not gone out yet??
There is no source. Only interpretive projections, which may turn out to be fanciful.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Not conjecture...

There was a letter from VSE/WSJ...
Stated 3 main reasons for WSJ increases overall - Insurance, Energy and Wages (essentially).

22fe0a666fc8f05e126d704a37b08a53.jpg

Last edited:

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)

Thanks for any advice.

We also have that 5 night Encore package, going in May. I would give those Encore people a call, and ask them if they could extend it for you. We got 7 nights thru them (however, we asked for it from the beginning at the sales pitch last March). You have to pay the extra costs for the night(s) however, and it has to be available.

We actually wanted 8 nights, so we just purchased an extra night through Marriott. It's more expensive than the Encore rate, however. We will probably have to change rooms, but that's okay.

Good luck.

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Not conjecture...

There was a letter from VSE/WSJ...
Stated 3 main reasons for WSJ increases overall - Insurance, Energy and Wages (essentially).

22fe0a666fc8f05e126d704a37b08a53.jpg

WSJ already has some of the highest MFs in the system and probably some of the highest in the TS industry. That’s a huge increase!!! At what point does the MF start causing owners to walk and it becomes more economical to just rent?

I have yet to receive any correspondence from Sunset Bay....

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ already has some of the highest MFs in the system and probably some of the highest in the TS industry. That’s a huge increase!!! At what point does the MF start causing owners to walk and it becomes more economical to just rent?

I have yet to receive any correspondence from Sunset Bay....

Actually... on a MF/SO basis - VGV Plat+ season has one of the best values (or did...).

Also, WSJ-VGV MFs have stayed steady since 2012. I don’t think there is another VSE Resort that can match that trend in steadiness.

Low season VGV villas are a big problem (especially studios) with potential foreclosures with this increase and with the $25/nite Environmental Fee and Property Tax (with potential increase). VSE/WSJ has been supporting these villas in buying them from the VGV HOA.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for any advice.

Call your Encore/Explorer Team. We too bought in 2017 and called and asked if we could extend. If they have nights they can help you out and we found the rates to be very reasonable.
The 3 nights is a requirement at St John for StarOptions. They only way around that is if you are owners of Flex Options, then you can more easily add nights. But the StarOptions for Bay Vista and Virgin Grand require 3 nights; and when you try and use those options for Coral or Sunset you fall under same terms of 3 nights.
So add through your package and you will get great value. Call sooner than later, as it is subject to their inventory availability.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Call your Encore/Explorer Team. We too bought in 2017 and called and asked if we could extend. If they have nights they can help you out and we found the rates to be very reasonable.
The 3 nights is a requirement at St John for StarOptions. They only way around that is if you are owners of Flex Options, then you can more easily add nights. But the StarOptions for Bay Vista and Virgin Grand require 3 nights; and when you try and use those options for Coral or Sunset you fall under same terms of 3 nights.
So add through your package and you will get great value. Call sooner than later, as it is subject to their inventory availability.

Why would Flex options be an advantage? The Westin St. John is not part of the Westin Flex program.

islandguy

Reaction score
Anyone know what two weeks the beach at the resort is closed. Got this from the resort:

Beach Closure — through October/November 2019
The resort’s beach will undergo refurbishment at the end of the summer. Our beach will be partially usable and available during the two-week project but will be occupied by equipment and workers. Owners and Guests will enjoy complimentary transportation to Trunk Bay during the project. All beaches on St. John are fully recovered and welcoming guests daily.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have decided to rent a car, so we can explore both St John and St Thomas. Which rental car company that allows cars to be taken to St John would you recommend?

Best regards.

Mike

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Amalie car rental. Awesome people they pick you up at the airport and meet you at the airport upon return.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: