• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it just me (things that make you go hhmmm...)

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
All four (4) south Florida resorts show absolutely no availability from November 15th all through December and into early January...

Nothing, nada, zip, zilch...

Not even a night here or there...

To me, this means (A) no owners (not a single one...!) during this time period converted their deeded TS to points OR (B) Wyndham is fudging the availability for some reason...

I think it is (B), but I have no proof...

What are your thoughts...

Cheers!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Resorts have availability holds all the time. I've seen about 6-7 this year so far.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check Wyndham Extra Holidays for their rentals...

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
They’re showing availability now. They were having website issues but seems to be fixed now.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Periodically you will see no availability at a resort for several months. If it is a resort you've been watching then you may know that there was at least some availability the last time you checked. But all of a sudden everything is just gone. If you keep watching in a week or two the inventory comes back just as suddenly as it disappeared. From what we know this is done to get the inventory straightened out. This can be a problem for anyone who is trying to get travel plans arranged or needs a night or a few nights in the next week or two.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
All four (4) south Florida resorts show absolutely no availability from November 15th all through December and into early January...

Nothing, nada, zip, zilch...

Not even a night here or there...
Resorts have availability holds all the time. I've seen about 6-7 this year so far.

Check Wyndham Extra Holidays for their rentals...

They’re showing availability now. They were having website issues but seems to be fixed now.
Another Extra Holidays conspiracy theory shot to hell.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Another Extra Holidays conspiracy theory shot to hell.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a conspiracy theory. It makes people really mad, and I do understand their frustration, when there is absolutely nothing available for the next several months but you can book a stay through Extra Holidays at those resorts. A good portion of what is available through Extra Holidays is the inventory Wyndham takes. And Wyndham absolutely can take that inventory which many people don't know or understand.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham owning and taking inventory for Extra Holidays is a conflict of interest along with Wyndham stacking HOAs with two out of 3 board members being Wyndham employees. It's called, "the fix is in."

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I wouldn't necessarily call it a conspiracy theory. It makes people really mad, and I do understand their frustration, when there is absolutely nothing available for the next several months but you can book a stay through Extra Holidays at those resorts. A good portion of what is available through Extra Holidays is the inventory Wyndham takes. And Wyndham absolutely can take that inventory which many people don't know or understand.

They cannot take owner owned inventory until 30 days from checkin. Even then, they have to leave 10% available. In the prime period, there isn’t much of anything that will be available to take. During low and high periods there will be some availability, but if there is, it’s going to be hard to rent them out. Wyndham has inventory they own that they can rent out. They are not going to take ours during low season when they have their own to rent. Also, they can rent inventory designated for RCI by booking them with the RCI deposits owners give Wyndham in exchange for points. While I don’t doubt some of the inventory available on extra holidays is Wyndham rentals, I am not sure it’s a “good portion”. Since neither of us have access to those numbers, it’s difficult to say either way. I just know what I read in the trust documents about being able to take all but the last 10% of availability 30 days out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Wyndham owning and taking inventory for Extra Holidays is a conflict of interest along with Wyndham stacking HOAs with two out of 3 board members being Wyndham employees. It's called, "the fix is in."

Wyndham has the same right as any other owner does to use the points they pay the maintenance fees on for reservations. I thought the fine print says that they can take a scary percentage of the available inventory at 90 or maybe 60 days, I don't remember which it is, and again at 30 days.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Wyndham has the same right as any other owner does to use the points they pay the maintenance fees on for reservations.

Agreed. I was specifying owner owned inventory, but maybe I should have been a bit more specific. By owner, I mean people, families, private trust, etc. Wyndham is technically an owner, but I was referring to people like you and I. They cannot take inventory that is not owned by them.

I thought the fine print says that they can take a scary percentage of the available inventory at 90 or maybe 60 days, I don't remember which it is, and again at 30 days.

I didn’t read that anywhere but maybe I missed it. I’ll have to go through the trust documents again. I am fairly certain that if I remembered the 30 days, I would have remembered 60 or 90 days, but anything is possible. I don’t believe they would do 60 or 90 days, because that would be less inventory for VIPs to upgrade too. If they took all the desirable inventory (mainly the bigger rooms), few VIPs would get upgraded. If they don’t get upgraded, not many would see the value of buying into VIP after their trial VIP period ended. Even fewer people would see value in upgrading to a higher level. The trial period is to get them hooked. Upgrades and discounts are their biggest hook. If one of those “hooks” don’t happen, they won’t upgrade to VIP. I see it all the time on The Facebook groups. Owners who had temp Silver after they bought, don’t upgrade to VIP because they don’t see enough value to warrant the cost. I’ll look again. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Wyndham has the same right as any other owner does to use the points they pay the maintenance fees on for reservations. I thought the fine print says that they can take a scary percentage of the available inventory at 90 or maybe 60 days, I don't remember which it is, and again at 30 days.

Wyndham does have the legal right to rent inventory that it still controls, however it’s obviously something that isn’t exactly disclosed on the sales table. In fact, many reps pitch the exclusivity of ownership, neglecting to mention that non-owners can often rent a vacation for less than an owner’s annual maintenance fee.

Several years ago Wyndham also determined that placing prospects (3/2 mini-vacs) into resort inventory created a better sales opportunity versus sticking them into hotels. So, not only are renters staying at the property that you can’t get into, odds are people who only paid $199 or less for a mini-vac are too.

Almost forgot. People who bought the trial package are staying at resorts too. They paid a $3,000, with no maintenance to try the program but basically have the same core rights to booking as owners who paid $20,000 or more.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Wyndham does have the legal right to rent inventory that it still controls, however it’s obviously something that isn’t exactly disclosed on the sales table. In fact, many reps pitch the exclusivity of ownership, neglecting to mention that non-owners can often rent a vacation for less than an owner’s annual maintenance fee.

Several years ago Wyndham also determined that placing prospects (3/2 mini-vacs) into resort inventory created a better sales opportunity versus sticking them into hotels. So, not only are renters staying at the property that you can’t get into, odds are people who only paid $199 or less for a mini-vac are too.

Almost forgot. People who bought the trial package are staying at resorts too. They paid a $3,000, with no maintenance to try the program but basically have the same core rights to booking as owners who paid $20,000 or more.

Discovery owners and owners paying that $199 are not staying in owner owned inventory. Discovery owners are staying in rooms designated as discovery. That's why not all resorts participate in Discovery. Not all resorts have the ability to set aside rooms for a small pool of owners. The owners paying $199 are staying in rooms that Wyndham owns.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
neglecting to mention that non-owners can often rent a vacation for less than an owner’s annual maintenance fee.

Sounds very familiar and I have heard this makes cents. No pun intended.

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I am fairly certain that if I remembered the 30 days, I would have remembered 60 or 90 days, but anything is possible.

At 60 days they can take inventory but have to leave 10%. At 30 days they can take the 10%, too.

11.08 Wyndham Use. In addition to the right of Wyndham, as a Member and owner of Points, to make reservations using those Points at any time, Wyndham, in its capacity as the developer of resort communities and Vacation Plans, may reserve available Accommodations up to 60 days in advance of the first day of anticipated occupancy, for its own purposes, including renting to the public, provided it pays or otherwise causes a third party to pay the occupancy related expenses of such Accommodations for each night to be used. All such occupancy related expenses shall be determined by the Trustee. As a result of Wyndham’s use there will be less space available for Member use; however, Wyndham may not reserve the last 10% of available occupancy for a type of Accommodation until 30 days prior to the first day of intended use.

Found here.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure.

But this has nothing to do with 55plus's (repetitive and false) conspiracy theories about Extra Holiday's inventory.

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)
neglecting to mention that non-owners can often rent a vacation for less than an owner’s annual maintenance fee.

I have for sure seen this at Panama City and I think Bonnet during on peak times googling and applying discount codes for Extra Holidays within a short time frame. You'd have to be flexible in your travels to pull this off with Extra Holidays.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I have for sure seen this at Panama City and I think Bonnet during on peak times googling and applying discount codes for Extra Holidays within a short time frame. You'd have to be flexible in your travels to pull this off with Extra Holidays.

I think that’s one factor people miss about extra holidays. You can, in some instances, get accommodations cheaper then maintenance fees when they are on sale. Otherwise they cost more. Even if you have CWA points, Extra Holidays is usually more. People like to say that non-owners can stay there for cheaper, but they don’t realize, that you don’t always get what you want at a cheap price. As you said, they have to be flexible if they want to stay at a resort cheaper then maintenance fees. I wouldn’t doubt that many of the people who say that on the Facebook pages are just regurgitating what they read somewhere else. They never actually looked to see if the places they want to go are cheaper then their maintenance fees.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent frequently, so I typical at least check Extra Holidays to see what they are selling things for, and I have never found them to be cheaper than what I can get renting from an owner. EH is often significantly more! Now I am sure they may be certain times and things you might get a good deal, but that has never been my experience thus far.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent frequently, so I typical at least check Extra Holidays to see what they are selling things for, and I have never found them to be cheaper than what I can get renting from an owner. EH is often significantly more! Now I am sure they may be certain times and things you might get a good deal, but that has never been my experience thus far.
My experience also when renting in the 60 day discount window and VIP passes on the 50% discount.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
My experience also when renting in the 60 day discount window and VIP passes on the 50% discount.

Not all of us can travel on short notice. People who travel during prime season (summer break, spring break winter break, major holidays, major events, etc) will be hard pressed to find something less then 60 day’s out, so they won’t be able to take advantage of that. Maybe a studio or a one bedroom they can snag, but usually people traveling during summer break have kids. Not all families can squeeze into a one bedroom without violating a fire code. I only mention this, because even though last minute inventory booked through VIP can be a great deal, it doesn’t work for everyone. Plus, like extra holidays, you have to be flexible. You cannot always get your first choice when booking 60 days or less unless it’s low season.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure.

But this has nothing to do with 55plus's (repetitive and false) conspiracy theories about Extra Holiday's inventory.

Sorry CO.

But the facts don’t support your contention. But don’t take my word for it. Just ask at Bonnet Creek or Clearwater or Glacier Canyon or any other popular resort. Ask the desk staff how many EH customers are using the place. It will be eye opening for you.

Last time I was at Clearwater the desk man said over half of the rooms were EH.

Open your eyes.

Wes.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Sorry CO.

But the facts don’t support your contention. But don’t take my word for it. Just ask at Bonnet Creek or Clearwater or Glacier Canyon or any other popular resort. Ask the desk staff how many EH customers are using the place. It will be eye opening for you.

Open your eyes.

Wes.

So are you saying that you think Wyndham is taking inventory for EH rentals above and beyond what they're already entitled to take - inventory Wyndham owns, is given up for rental by owners to EH, or the 90% remaining they can take inside 60 days? Because that's really the difference between a conspiracy theory versus just the way the program is structured.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
I can see owners who don’t want to do rentals themselves using EH by booking high demand resorts at peak time season. I mean a 1 bedroom deluxe at Clearwater is 250,000 points. If you rent that yourself at $7/1000 that’s $1750. That same week through EH would sell for $4625 (looking at July). Even if Wyndham takes a 40% cut you are still making $2775. So I can see owners booking these weeks for EH rentals and taking the gamble to whether it sells or not.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry CO.

Open your eyes.

Wes.
Yes Wyndham squeezed out mega renters to protect themselves from Mega renters cannibalizing their profits. What is the current rate EH charges? Average VIP is happy to charge 6/1000 and in most cases they pass along the 50% discount also.