• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
seen multiple mentions of DRI increasing the amount for this yet again, up to $1000 from its current $750.

while not yet confirmed, it would not surprise us at all to see it happen sooner rather than later.

DRIs new added business. Hmmm wonder how they will market it.

Options

1. Don’t call 1_800-JUNK to take out your trash. CALL 1_800-DRI OUTS.
2. Why pay 5k to Exit when we do it for 1?
3. Boy that trinket given at Sales Presentation was expensive wasn’t it?
4. DRI Dump Resort Immediately. CALL NOW!
5. One last Credit Card Hit and you are done! CALL NOW!

My, my my.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mike1moss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone requested a waiver of the $1,000 per contract fee due to hardship based on health?

TUGJones

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LikiTiki (aka Isle of Bali)
APRIL 2019
Thanks to this TUG Forum, we are in process of releasing our timeshare via the Diamond Transitions unit. All paperwork notarized & submitted this week.
UPDATED DATA:
- Transitions now charges $750 “processing fee” (no longer $250 or $500)
- You are given 14 days from date of their acceptance letter to return documentation. (Our letter w docs came 7 days after the letter date...we called/emailed and got a one week extension. I requested & received extension approval via email which I included in final documentation submitted.)
All other information within this thread seems to be accurate & ongoing.
- Diamond Sales/marketing group professes no knowledge of this program or any group called ‘Transitions’, so don’t give up! Follow data presented in this thread and you’re in your way.
- Avoid falling into the 3rd Party “We can get you out of your timeshare for $6000 Trap”!

JUNE 2019 UPDATE....
We have finally received our Formal Release paperwork from DRI. CAUTION: You will NOT receive said final paperwork unless you specifically call DRI Transitions and “verbally request” it!

THANK YOU TUG Forum for starting this thread re: DRI Transitions department. We were happy to pay the $750 processing fee & endure the frustration of the process timeline in order to save an Annual Maintenance Fee in perpetuity of $1,000 (& growing).

The timeshare was indeed a “Resale” & had been through two previous owners prior to DRI. (Isle of Bali, Orlando FL / Fixed Week #51).

My hat is off to you, TUGBrian! Cheers mate

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so very happy to hear you got the help you needed without having to run the gauntlet of scammers!

trekdc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update. I posted last Oct 16 that I had been approved for deedback by DRI. As of today I have a pending charge of $750 to my credit card so I looks like this transaction should be complete before Christmas. The only issue I experienced was a two week delay in getting the credit card authorization charge form. I called and requested to pay by VISA and was told a form had to be requested and would be mailed to me. After waiting two weeks and not receiving the form I called back and after being on hold for 45 minutes the person who answered emailed the form to me while we were talking to each other. Point being, be proactive. All I have talked to at DRI have been courteous and professional.
Reading some earlier posts leads me to post the following. DRI spells out clearly their criteria for deedback approval. Let me post it here:
Conditions to Apply:
  • You must have no existing loan balance or other lien encumbering the vacation ownership.
  • You must be current on the payment of all maintenance fees up to the year for which you are relinquishing.
  • You must have a clear and free title to the vacation ownership.
  • All future reservations must be cancelled or traveled on prior to submitting a request. Does not apply to certain Fixed Week/Fixed Unit deeded week owners who have their reservation automatically booked in advance. Please call the Transitions team on 1.855.342.3689 for more information.
  • Your vacation ownership must be in a Diamond Resorts Collection or managed property. Currently, members who own in Embarc or the EU Collection do not qualify.
  • You must have purchased your vacation ownership directly from Diamond Resorts or from a predecessor whose developer rights were acquired by Diamond Resorts. Members and owners who have inherited or been gifted a vacation ownership from family will qualify if their family members would have qualified.
  • Participation with a timeshare exit or resale company or firm may negatively impact your ability to apply for Transitions.
Where applicable, if you meet the Conditions to Apply for Transitions, Diamond Resorts will consider your application on a case-by-case basis, reviewing it both on its own merits and in the context of all other qualifying Transition applications submitted to date. This program is subject to change or termination without notice and in the sole discretion of Diamond Resorts.

I have a Q. for Rich B. &/or any other member RE: You must be current on the payment of all maintenance fees up to the year for which you are relinquishing. Its now Aug.18, 2019. I'm paid up for 2019 fees. If I request a deedback from DRI now, do I have to pay the 2020 maintenance fees before I'm considered fully PAID UP?

trekdc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Q. for Rich B. &/or any other member RE: You must be current on the payment of all maintenance fees up to the year for which you are relinquishing. Its now Aug.18, 2019. I'm paid up for 2019 fees. If I request a deedback from DRI now, do I have to pay the 2020 maintenance fees before I'm considered fully PAID UP?

*21/2019-- I spoke with the Transitions rep yesterday & was told that I qualified for the feedback, & that I would get an email confirmation & then the necessary documents which would have to be sent back within 2 weeks. I was also told that I would not have to pay 2020 MF. Also, I could call them for extension of that time. So far so good. It went as others on Tug have explained. I get an email confirmation today & see that the "PROCESSING FEES" (my italics) would be $1000. Yes that's right, $1000. No more a more reasonably ridiculous $750. To add confusion to outrageousness, Step 1 of the guide instructions states that the document (MRA or Mutual Release Agreement) will take anywhere from 30-90 days to receive this document, which incidentally has to be returned within 14 days! I'll pay & complete all this paperwork, & then after a reasonable wait, burn all these documents & try to forget this nightmare from DRI. My wife & I had this timeshare in Kissimmee, Fl, week 9, that we used only a few times. We haven't been back since 2005, while the MF kept going up & up each year. We were naive, obviously, & didn't know about Tug until recently. We should have rented a unit as some friends of ours have done. Oh well! Tug has been very helpful. Thanks to all!!

judithv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, $1000.

We received a DRI letter dated 18 September 2019, advising that we can deed back our 2 bedroom lock off unit at Polo Towers for a $1000 fee. I am waiting to speak with someone from "Inventory Recovery".

We have owned this deeded property since 1997. Bought it from the developer for $18K and have paid Special Assessments and HOA dues ($1200) faithfully ever since. Wisely, we resisted the pressure to upgrade to their "point" system.

I am unsettled by this "offer". It seems absurd to pay what is equivalent to next years HOA fee just to relinquish this "asset".

Any thoughts?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Three years ago when we gave back our US contracts they sent us all the paperwork and told us to return it after our last vacation was complete. Now they want vacations completed before they will process paperwork. We have three HI contracts 3-10-11.5, and want to Transition the 10K. I guess we are lucky we haven't booked anything for 2020 yet, or they'd want us to cancel those. We will try applying again the day we check into our last five day trip at the end of this month.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Yep, $1000.

We received a DRI letter dated 18 September 2019, advising that we can deed back our 2 bedroom lock off unit at Polo Towers for a $1000 fee. I am waiting to speak with someone from "Inventory Recovery".

We have owned this deeded property since 1997. Bought it from the developer for $18K and have paid Special Assessments and HOA dues ($1200) faithfully ever since. Wisely, we resisted the pressure to upgrade to their "point" system.

I am unsettled by this "offer". It seems absurd to pay what is equivalent to next years HOA fee just to relinquish this "asset".

Any thoughts?

Up until about a year ago, the Transitions fee was $250 (IMO a fair price). Then overnight it increased to $750 and just a couple of months later it went to $1,000. A 400% increase IMO because Diamond figured another way to gouge it's members. I believe this will just lead more people to employee the Nuclear Option (walking away without looking back) which will ultimately hurt both the owner (credit score hit) and Diamond (wasted time in foreclosing) in the long run.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I believe it is $1,000.00 per Contract. While a person may have 1 account there can be multiple Contracts if more than one purchase was made.

Pcpete

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana
Diamond Hawaii Collection
Diamond western collection
We have been trying to unload our 2 DRI contracts all year. We signed up with Sell My Timeshare Now and wasted $3600. In August I tried the Transitions route and was told that because there was a third party involved, I was declined. I sent emails from SMTN stating the ad had been taken down and the listing canceled. Still declined. In late September I tried again. I included and highlighted the end of my listing with SMTN, and was declined due to the third party involvement. I phoned SMTN and requested a hard copy letter and email on the SMTN letterhead, I had to send a second request and still nothing.
Our frustration is high to say the least. I can’t talk to anyone beyond a paper shuffler to get any kind of answer. Our 20,000 points for 2019 are not going to be used and I’m looking at the 2020 MF with a very bad taste in my mouth.
We paid for the contracts within 30 days, everything is up to date. Interestingly, every time I go to my Facebook page, about the third post down is an ad from Diamond about exit scams. At this point, in my experience thus far, Transitions should be included.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We had to bug Diamond several times to send the paperwork because they kept declining because we had vacations scheduled. Finally got the approval and paperwork came about a week later. We were going to wait until after we'd paid the December property taxes on our home, and then I was going to call with a credit card for the $1000 Transition fee since cc is an option. But I got spooked yesterday when I saw someone on Facebook also commenting about the 14 day turn around time and went ahead and got a check in the mail on the 15th day. Last thing I needed was for them to play hardball on the 14 days (in the past we held on to paperwork for three months at their suggestion while completing our reservations).

MargaretN

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Liki Tiki Village
Hi. I am wondering if someone can advise me how long it may take to hear from DRI after I sent an email requesting a deed back. My email was acknowledged but that was a couple of weeks ago and nothing since. I was hoping to hear something definitive before our 2020 fees are due. Thanks for any help/advice about this.

Pcpete

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana
Diamond Hawaii Collection
Diamond western collection
MargaretN, you have to call them at this point. Be prepared to listen to the same never ending advertising about how wonderful they are for a very long wait. I have waited as long as 90 minutes.

gerena

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was approved for the Transitions on October 28, 2019. I have waited and waited. I called them January as we were going to be leaving in February for a month. They said they were waiting for the title search to come back to them. Copied all the trust docs in case it came while we were gone. Made arrangements with my daughter to get the documents to send in. My original email from them said I had 14 days to get my signed letter, trust docs and money back to them. (But when I made the call in January, the rep said she hadn't heard of any 14 days or it would be invalid and I would have to start over-------It clearly said in my email ) Returned 2 weeks ago and nothing. Called on March 18--still waiting for the title search which they requested February 28. Hmmmm. In the meantime I keep getting automated calls and emails to pay my 2020 maintenance fees. Diamond said in the beginning I didn't owe them since I had been accepted for Transitions.

TGonzalez

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacations
03/31/30 Paid our maintenance fees for 2020 and submitted our Transition request in today. Wish us luck!
I will update the group on our progress.

Zaentz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DR U.S. Collections - points
I just sent an email requesting they take the timeshare back.

If they refuse or the fee too high or drag out the process and I just stop paying the annual maintenance, what steps could the company take? Note: I own my apartment and pay my credit cards in full each month so low credit score would not bother me at all.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score

If they refuse or the fee too high or drag out the process and I just stop paying the annual maintenance, what steps could the company take? Note: I own my apartment and pay my credit cards in full each month so low credit score would not bother me at all.

No need to send an email. Just click on the Transition button on the Diamond website.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

Where is your TS located?

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to give back my Diamond timeshare for years. There was some light at the end of the tunnel when in January of this year it was "approved".

A couple days ago, I got the email that not application was not processed due to that my "ownership is ineligible".

Just want to give the heads up on anyone that is trying to deed back their timeshare to Diamond at this time.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
I have been trying to give back my Diamond timeshare for years. There was some light at the end of the tunnel when in January of this year it was "approved".

A couple days ago, I got the email that not application was not processed due to that my "ownership is ineligible".

Just want to give the heads up on anyone that is trying to deed back their timeshare to Diamond at this time.

Is it a resale point contract? If so, those are ineligible for Transitions.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
It was a resale weeks contract.

Same thing. Only purchases from the developer are eligible for Transitions.

I would suggest you try and give it to someone if you don't want it anymore.

TGonzalez

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacations
No need to send an email. Just click on the Transition button on the Diamond website.
They updated the website and it is no longer on there. Did they move somewhere and I just cant find it?