• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Hawaiian Island to visit with preteens besides Oahu?

Scrapper49

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Oahu and my oh my what a vacation! My grandsons haven't stopped asking where we are going next. (ages 12 and 9) This vacation is going to be hard to beat. Any suggestions where we should go to experience fun, education and adventure? They are asking about Maui, but we are also open to all suggestions. The older one is not a water fan.
Thanks in advance.

Chris

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What other activities do you enjoy? Each island has its own appeal. I think Maui would be a great second visit, even if you don't hang out on the beach. Lots of activities for kids. If Maui won't do, you only have two main islands left. The Big Island has some great things to see (volcano, observatories, lava flows), but it can take a lot of driving to get around. Kauai is the most quiet island, and has great hiking, cool scenery, and great coastlines, but not a lot to do for a 12 year old who doesn't like the water.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We took our dds to Hawaii starting when the older one was 18 months old. We own a timeshare on Maui so that is where we spent more years. When they got a bit older we started going to other islands. The Big Island was a favorite. We also visited Kauai and Molokai. I don't think there was an island they really didn't like. Not being a water fan could be an issue. Our visits always start with the morning at the beach, afternoon doing "something" and then maybe back to the pool later on.

Scrapper49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you - we were leaning towards Maui. Short hikes and fun learning opportunities would be our choices away from the resort. Pools at the resort together with resort acivities work great. I will research Maui! We also do no more than 1/2 day activities away from the resort. As a side note, the older one will go in the pools and boogie boarded in the lagoon. It's the under/deep water stuff that he won't do, so snorkeling is out.

Last edited:

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
We are water people and snorkel; so, Maui is great because of the snorkel spots. Not being a "water fan", does that mean no beach at all? If so, Maui is not the place. You can certainly drive up to Haleakala and go to a luau, but Hana is valleys and waterfalls. Iao Valley is a rain forest and hike. Kapalua is all about the beach and snorkeling unless you golf. The Big Island, per Dave and Luanne have a better variety of activities but there is a lot of driving around. Kauai has Waimea Canyon but the hike near Ke'e Beach might still be closed. Lots of waterfalls and scenery if that does not count as water. Oahu has the most museums with the USS Arizona and The Bishop Museum. The Polynesian Cultural Center is on the east side. It is the most "big city" atmosphere of all the islands. Good luck.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
What other activities do you enjoy? Each island has its own appeal. I think Maui would be a great second visit, even if you don't hang out on the beach. Lots of activities for kids. If Maui won't do, you only have two main islands left. The Big Island has some great things to see (volcano, observatories, lava flows), but it can take a lot of driving to get around. Kauai is the most quiet island, and has great hiking, cool scenery, and great coastlines, but not a lot to do for a 12 year old who doesn't like the water.

Dave

I agree with DaveNW. If the older grandchild does not love the ocean, you may wish to consider Branson, Mo. There are so many activities available for adults and children of all ages that you cannot possibly do them all in one visit. There are numerous lakes for the younger grandchild who likes the water. It costs a lot less than the theme parks in Orlando. Marriott’s Willowridge Lodge would be an excellent exchange.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
My kids are around the same age. They love Ko Olina and also love Maui Ocean Club. It is really hard to beat both of them. Downside is a long trip to Hawaii from the East Coast (you show Michigan).

If you are set on Hawaii, I would vote Maui. It is a great resort, fantastic location and good mix of activities. The resort is actually on the ocean vs the lagoons at Ko Olina....which would work better for boogie boarding, surfing waves, etc. Plenty of restaurants/shops within walking distance. Many adventures for 1/2 day excursions.

If you want picturesque Hawaii, choose Kauai. Very scenic. Fantastic hiking. Quieter than the other islands. Depending on the kids, it could be too quiet.

The Big Island is not my favorite. You may spend a lot of time in the car driving, given the island is much larger. However, Volcano National Park is awesome!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Oahu and my oh my what a vacation! My grandsons haven't stopped asking where we are going next. (ages 12 and 9) This vacation is going to be hard to beat. Any suggestions where we should go to experience fun, education and adventure? They are asking about Maui, but we are also open to all suggestions. The older one is not a water fan.
Thanks in advance.

Chris
I am not a water fan. For us it'd be Maui at the point you are, there are a lot of options of things to do. But I'd put Kauai a close second.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Thanks in advance.

Chris

Maui!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to the Big Island. Particularly because of the relatively few water based activities. But kids love volcanos, coffee plantations. Quaint villages.

Another consideration: Mexico. Totally different. Culturally, linguistically, food-wise. Yes, there is the passport issue, but that just gives you incentive for other travel with them, and the lower flight cost pretty much pays for the passports.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our kids and grandkids liked KoOlina on Oahu but they still talk about Disney World. I actually had a blast at Disney World too and might do another trip with just the grand kids.

Bill

Scrapper49

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have been to Disney and just did the Harry Potter thing at Universal too. They also did the special event - Not So Scary Halloween Party - twice! Great times!

PeteBob

Reaction score
If the kids like snorkeling, on Maui, my favorite snorkeling place is Slaughterhouse beach. It's the bay just before (south of) Honolua Bay. Don't get me wrong, Honolua Bay is awesome for snorkeling but the beach is all rocks and no fun for kids. I was pretty worried about breaking my ankle while entering the water.

Slaughterhouse Beach has a really nice beach and very good snorkeling. We saw a sea turtle in 1.5 feet of water, at the edge of the beach.

Snorkel tip! Prep a spray bottle with a little bit of Johnson's no more tears and some water. Spray it in the masks and make sure the sea water doesn't wash it away.

On the Big Island, the best beach is kinda a secret. It's Kua Bay. Head south from Ko Olina. Turn right onto the road opposite the cemetery. There are showers and restroom and sometimes a food truck.
Bring A Boogie Board For Each Kid. The waves are AWESOME! The hotel may have some boogie boards or buy at Costco (the fun the kids will have is worth every penny). You can see sea turtles here too.

In fact, I put our boogie boards in a large trash bag, taped it all up and checked them in as luggage. Have used them 3 times since we got them.

Scrapper49

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to the Big Island. Particularly because of the relatively few water based activities. But kids love volcanos, coffee plantations. Quaint villages.

Another consideration: Mexico. Totally different. Culturally, linguistically, food-wise. Yes, there is the passport issue, but that just gives you incentive for other travel with them, and the lower flight cost pretty much pays for the passports.

Jim
What did the 12 year old enjoy on Oahu that wasn't water centric? Hiking is great on the other four islands and widely varying topography. Maui zip lines and upcountry ranch activities also come to mind.
The 12 year old loved boogie boarding in the lagoon because the water was shallow. He actually wanted to go to Oahu because he wanted to go the Pearl Harbor. He has a real interest in history and war world II. He is in an advanced writing class and is writing a non-fiction story about Pearl Harbor. He talked to so many people and used his go pro to document things. He bought a hat, which prompted a lot of people to approach him and tell their story of what they remember from that time, even through they were quite young at the time. What an experience for him! He also enjoyed the dolphin encounter and the diamond head hike was his idea. He learned throw net fishing and worked on it until he perfected it. The whole trip was so educational, yet fun! Always something to learn.

Last edited:

Scrapper49

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the kids like snorkeling, on Maui, my favorite snorkeling place is Slaughterhouse beach. It's the bay just before (south of) Honolua Bay. Don't get me wrong, Honolua Bay is awesome for snorkeling but the beach is all rocks and no fun for kids. I was pretty worried about breaking my ankle while entering the water.

Slaughterhouse Beach has a really nice beach and very good snorkeling. We saw a sea turtle in 1.5 feet of water, at the edge of the beach.

Snorkel tip! Prep a spray bottle with a little bit of Johnson's no more tears and some water. Spray it in the masks and make sure the sea water doesn't wash it away.

On the Big Island, the best beach is kinda a secret. It's Kua Bay. Head south from Ko Olina. Turn right onto the road opposite the cemetery. There are showers and restroom and sometimes a food truck.
Bring A Boogie Board For Each Kid. The waves are AWESOME! The hotel may have some boogie boards or buy at Costco (the fun the kids will have is worth every penny). You can see sea turtles here too.

In fact, I put our boogie boards in a large trash bag, taped it all up and checked them in as luggage. Have used them 3 times since we got them.
We ended up buying an inexpensive boogie board at Target with the intention of leaving it at the resort. But he fell in love with it because it said Aloha and Gotta Be Hawaii on it. He ended up gate checking it and it arrived safely. Greatest souvenir ever!

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We ended up buying an inexpensive boogie board at Target with the intention of leaving it at the resort. But he fell in love with it because it said Aloha an Gotta Be Hawaii on it. He ended up gate checking it and it arrived safely. Greatest souvenir ever!

Can you adopt me? You sound like awesome Grandparents! LOL! :D

Dave

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
If the 12 year old is a history buff, like me, you may wish to consider Williamsburg, Virginia. I thought it was thrilling to go to a church that was attended by both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Jamestown is only a short drive from there as well as Richmond. The Marriott Manor Club is also an excellent exchange. There is plenty to see regarding the revolutionary war and the civil war.

Scrapper49

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the 12 year old is a history buff, like me, you may wish to consider Williamsburg, Virginia. I thought it was thrilling to go to a church that was attended by both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Jamestown is only a short drive from there as well as Richmond. The Marriott Manor Club is also an excellent exchange. There is plenty to see regarding the revolutionary war and the civil war.
We have been to Williamsburg 3 times. It's our favorite place to go! Always stay at Manor Club.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
We travel a good bit to Hawaii, and our girls are 16 and 14 now. We would suggest either Maui or Kona/Waikoloa (Big Island). We've done amazing zip lines in Maui, toured coffee and vanilla farms in Kona (we even roasted our own coffee and brought it back for friends, teachers, etc.). The drive over to Hilo and Volcanos National Park was great, even though we couldn't stop in VNP because of the eruptions. Maui has some great interior hikes, too. It's hard to think of Hawaii without the water experiences, but in both places there are sailing excursions that might be OK for the grandchild that doesn't like the water. FYI, my kids had a blast at Aulani, which is adjacent to MKO. Almost an experience unto itself. I found it too much, but the kids want to go back, even now as teenagers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui is a great choice, but do a little homework. The Marriott resorts are on the western/windy side. There are a few cool things including Lahaina, and some great quiet beaches that you can paddle board and snorkel. IMO, the best stuff is east, about 45 minutes away. Road to Hana and Kaleakala (sp?), the inactive volcano. Great hikes and waterfalls. Costco is right near the airport so stock up on the way from the airport.

Big Island has much more in terms of different things and has many micro climates ranging from tropical to arid. Active volcanoes are one obvious attraction, but lots of hiking also. Big Island is way bigger than Oahu or Maui.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Maui has a great aquarium, and they might also like the Surfing Goat Dairy. There's also a submarine ride out of Lahaina that's a fun trip, looking out the windows at the fish. (It doesn't go deep, you just sit under the water level)

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Depending on the time of year you are planning on going, if you go to Maui during whale season (November through March) taking a whale watching tour is a great experience. If you book with Pacific Whale Foundation out of Maalea you can get a discount on the aquarium, which is in the same center.

Scrapper49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great ideas. With the current Covid thing, we decided to book Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort for next August. I purchased ePlus to see how things pan out over the next year. No plane tickes needed and it's only an 8 hour drive from Michigan. Making the best of the current situation. We might hit Washington DC. in the spring for a long weekend too. Stay safe!!