• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone flown Southwest to Hawaii yet?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Just booked a flight for older dd from San Jose to Maui in March. I know there has been a lot of discussion on SW to Hawaii, but has anyone flown SW to Hawaii yet? If so, how was the experience? Are they offering any extras, like meals for sale, or is it just their basic snacks?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked a flight for older dd from San Jose to Maui in March. I know there has been a lot of discussion on SW to Hawaii, but has anyone flown SW to Hawaii yet? If so, how was the experience? Are they offering any extras, like meals for sale, or is it just their basic snacks?

Haven't flown them yet but am wondering what was the price of the fare that you obtained ?

Hawaiin Air is known for a great flying experience (which includes food) and Southwest is known for saving money.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Haven't flown them yet but am wondering what was the price of the fare that you obtained ?

Hawaiin Air is known for a great flying experience (which includes food) and Southwest is known for saving money.

I did it with points.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I know someone here took an inaugural flight. It should be searchable.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying experience, I could write a book. But below is an email I sent my brother. They now have comfort class which is the same cheap seats with 5” of more leg room. If you don’t buy that, most of the airlines are the same.
————

My last flight home from LA to Honolulu was excellent. The seat was wider and had more leg room. It also had more cushion to the seat and I never got tired of sitting down. On most flights, my butt hurts so bad and my legs ache because I can’t move them and it is a pain to fly these days. About half way across the Pacific I realized that I was in an older airplane and that they don’t build them that way any longer. There was also and article in the news yesterday how all the airlines are taking the seats out of 777s and putting in smaller seats that are lighter and putting them close together with less leg room so that they can sell more seats on the same plane.

It is just amazing that for the last 10 years I have been saying that flight was painful and I don’t like flying as much as I used too. I thought that I was just getting older. But the problem is the plane seats are just getting cheaper and smaller. What a bummer and there is not much anyone can do but pay more to fly first class.

The real kicker was that I told one of the flight attendants that was the best plane I had been on in a long time and every time I fly, I plan to jump on Delta’s 777. Her response was that the plane was on the way to Australia to have all the seats removed so that they could install smaller seats and more seats. Sometimes, you just can’t win. But at least I now know the pain wasn’t from getting older, it was from cheaper, smaller seats with no leg room.

Tom

Sent from my iPad

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of apps like SeatGuru that will provide the real information. Also, check reviews for flights on different websites. For me, if you can get on a wide body with twin isles down the middle and more isle seats, you are better off from the start. Look to fly on 767, 777 and the bigger Airbus that Hawaiian and other airlines have. I am at a point that I am willing to pay more for a little more comfort. By the way, when I bought my tickets a month ago, first class was sold out and there were plenty of seats in the back. The airlines have reached a limit on how small they can go and lots of people are sick of it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. We were on the inaugural flight from SJC to OGG. It was great fun, they gave us tote bags and cookies, but from then on it's just a bigger box of snacks. Bring a sandwich for the 5.5 hour flight.

If you like SW, you'll love it. If not, well, not so much.

Jim

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There are a lot of apps like SeatGuru that will provide the real information. Also, check reviews for flights on different websites. For me, if you can get on a wide body with twin isles down the middle and more isle seats, you are better off from the start. Look to fly on 767, 777 and the bigger Airbus that Hawaiian and other airlines have. I am at a point that I am willing to pay more for a little more comfort. By the way, when I bought my tickets a month ago, first class was sold out and there were plenty of seats in the back. The airlines have reached a limit on how small they can go and lots of people are sick of it.
Thanks for all of that I guess. But I was asking specifically about Southwest Airlines and if anyone had any experience flying them to Hawaii.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of that I guess. But I was asking specifically about Southwest Airlines and if anyone had any experience flying them to Hawaii.
See my post above yours.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I usually fly SW to west coast and then Alaska or Hawaii comfort class across the pacific. I need the extra legroom

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I bought two one way tickets for my niece's from Southwest , PDX to HNL about a week ago. The fares were about $200 a ticket. It was the wana getaway rate.

Bill

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I flew Southwest to Maui just after they started.
I recommend using their advanced boarding for $25 to be sure you don't get a middle seat. I had never used it previous to the Hawaii flight, but I was glad I did.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I usually fly SW to west coast and then Alaska or Hawaii comfort class across the pacific. I need the extra legroom
That is what we do as well. SW from Albuquerque to Oakland, spend a couple of nights in San Francisco, then Alaska, or more recently United, to Maui. In fact that is what dh, younger dd and I are going to do. But older dd won't be with us the entire trip and she lives close to San Jose. I told her I'd "pay" for her ticket so that left me with the choices of Alaska or SW (if I wanted to use points for part of, or all of, the trip). Alaska didn't have any nonstops the days she wanted to fly.

And yes, I did get Early Bird for her. Since I didn't pay anything for the ticket, except the taxes, or whatever that $5.20 per leg fee is, I was fine paying for Early Bird. She'll try for an exit row seat, and if she can't get that I'm sure she'll be able to get an aisle seat.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend using their advanced boarding for $25 to be sure you don't get a middle seat. I had never used it previous to the Hawaii flight, but I was glad I did.

Can you pay for advance boarding if you have already purchased your ticket.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes, you can go online and add EarlyBird seating if you did not purchase it initially. FYI, the boarding number you get will be determined on when you buy the EarlyBird add-on, not when you originally bought your seats, so it is always best to buy it right away if you are going to anyway.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You sometimes also have the option to "upgrade" to SW's business class which gets you into the first 15 boarding positions, when you check in, or even after you check in.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. Even waiting at the gate, you can pay ($30-$40-or $50) to board in the first 15 spots. Don't know how they decide the cost.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yep. Even waiting at the gate, you can pay ($30-$40-or $50) to board in the first 15 spots. Don't know how they decide the cost.
I just got a new upgraded SW Chase card. One of the perks is the business class boarding, if available, up to 3 (or maybe 4) times a year. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Sounds like if it's available I can get it, pay for it, then I'm reimbursed.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bunny Trail Alert!

That triggered a memory of flying in the 1980s, when airlines didn't handle money at the gate. Those were the days of printed tickets, and a printed ticket was the equivalent of money. So all of the airlines except Southwest would accept a ticket issued by one of other companies.

I was doing a lot of travel between the SF Bay Area and Los Angeles, mostly flying PSA and AirCal, who were head-to-head competitors on those routes. I learned that if I arrived at the gate with a reservation for the flight, with ticket in hand for travel to/from any Bay Area airport (SFO, OAK, San Jose) to/from any LA airport (LAX, Ontario, Burbank, Long Beach, Santa Ana) I could get on the flight, regardless of whether there was any difference in fare.

I soon learned that I should simply book the cheapest fare available. Then I would call reservations to change to the flight I really wanted. They would make the change, and inform me that when I got to the airport I would be charged the fare difference. The trick was to not check bags, because if I checked a bag, they would charge the fare difference when I checked in and they printed a new ticket. But if I showed up at the gate with my old ticket in hand, they would take the ticket and let me on the flight.

I did that for about six years. Then one day I showed up at an AirCal gate at SFX, and the gate agent looked at my ticket and said there was a fare difference. Since they didn't handle money at the gate, I had to return to checkin and have them print me a new ticket.

It was good while it lasted.

I occasionally flew Southwest. I got upset with them one time when I was flying from LAX to OAK after a meeting. I had one of their cheapest airfares, no changes allowed. My meeting finished early and I got to the gate while they were boarding the plane before mine. I asked to get a boarding pass for that flight, and they refused to give it to me, even though seats were available. I was stunned!! I said you are boarding a plane right now to Oakland that has seats available. "That's right." And I have a valid Southwest ticket for travel from LAX to OAK. "Yes, you do." But even though you have space on the plane and you are still boarding the plane, you won't give me one of those seats? "Correct." Well then, why don't you put me on standby for that flight? "Can't do that."

That experience soured me on Southwest for a long time. It seemed to me that if they were as customer driven as they claimed to be, they would have put me on that plane. Yes, it was a no changes ticket, but at that point, when they have a plane that is leaving that has empty seats, and a passenger with a valid ticket for the next flight between those destinations, there's no harm in letting me on the plane.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We flew SWA last summer. Get early bird. Very smooth. Would do again. I like how SWA regular seats have more legroom than United econ which requires econ upgrade. Costs more on United.

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bunny Trail Alert!

That triggered a memory of flying in the 1980s, when airlines didn't handle money at the gate. Those were the days of printed tickets, and a printed ticket was the equivalent of money. So all of the airlines except Southwest would accept a ticket issued by one of other companies.

I was doing a lot of travel between the SF Bay Area and Los Angeles, mostly flying PSA and AirCal, who were head-to-head competitors on those routes. I learned that if I arrived at the gate with a reservation for the flight, with ticket in hand for travel for any Bay Area airport SFO, OAK, San Jose) to/from any LA airport (LAX, Ontario, Burbank, Long Beach, Santa Ana) I could get on the flight, regardless of whether there was any difference in fare.

I soon learned that I should simply book the cheapest fare available. Then, when I was in LA, I would call reservations to change to the flight I really wanted. They would make the change, and inform me that when I got to the airport I would be charged the fare difference. The trick was to not check bags, because if I checked a bag, they would charge the fare difference when I checked in and print a new ticket. But if I showed up at the gate with my old ticket in hand, they would take the ticket and let me.

I did that for about six years. Then one day I showed up at AirCal, and the gate agent looked at my ticket and said there was a fare difference. Since they didn't handle money at the gate, I had to return to checkin and have them print me a new ticket.

It was good while it lasted.

I occasionally flew Southwest. I got upset with them one time when I was flying from LAX to OAK after a meeting. I had one of their cheapest airfares, no changes allowed. My meeting finished early and I got to the gate while they were boarding the plane before mine. I asked to get a boarding pass for that flight, and they refused to give it to me, even though seats were available. I was stunned!! I said you are boarding a plane right now to Oakland that has seats available. "That's right." And I have a valid Southwest ticket for travel from LAX to OAK. "Yes, you do." But even though you have space on the plane and you are still boarding the plane, you won't give me one of those seats? "Correct." Well then, why don't you put me on standby for that flight? "Can't do that."

That experience soured me on Southwest for a long time. It seemed to me that if they were as customer driven as they claimed to be, they would have put me on that plane. Yes, it was a no changes ticket, but at that point, when they have a plane that is leaving that has empty seats, and a passenger with a valid ticket for the next flight between those destinations, there's no harm in letting me on the plane.
Same thing happened to me years ago when I was at the gate and wanted to get home. As I remember it, they would have let me do it for $$.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just paid for early Bird $25 each. But the ticket was sooooo cheap I don’t mind

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
Thanks. Just paid for early Bird $25 each. But the ticket was sooooo cheap I don’t mind
Just to vent a pet peave! We always fly SW and purchase 2 early bird. There always seems to be One of two individuals who purchase one and get on early and SAVE a seat of two for thier party. Had never impacted our seating preference but still irks me.