• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it just me (things that make you go hhmmm...)

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see owners who don’t want to do rentals themselves using EH by booking high demand resorts at peak time season. I mean a 1 bedroom deluxe at Clearwater is 250,000 points. If you rent that yourself at $7/1000 that’s $1750. That same week through EH would sell for $4625 (looking at July). Even if Wyndham takes a 40% cut you are still making $2775. So I can see owners booking these weeks for EH rentals and taking the gamble to whether it sells or not.
You are wrong on the 7/1000 Most I deal with are happy with 6/1000 and also pass along a free upgrade and the 50% discount when booking in the 60 day window.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
You are wrong on the 7/1000 Most I deal with are happy with 6/1000 and also pass along a free upgrade and the 50% discount when booking in the 60 day window.

Yes, for you. Usually for family and friends I rent at cost or free for family but for acquaintances or coworkers, it’s never less than $8/1000 points. Since you’re renting from your uncle who’s VIP makes sense he will give you a better rate and pass on his discounts but not everyone has that VIP uncle to rent from lol

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, for you. Usually for family and friends I rent at cost or free for family but for acquaintances or coworkers, it’s never less than $8/1000 points. Since you’re renting from your uncle who’s VIP makes sense he will give you a better rate and pass on his discounts but not everyone has that VIP uncle to rent from lol
No Uncle is only silver and the 25% he gets is not going to work when I can get 50% from most I deal with.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So are you saying that you think Wyndham is taking inventory for EH rentals above and beyond what they're already entitled to take - inventory Wyndham owns, is given up for rental by owners to EH, or the 90% remaining they can take inside 60 days? Because that's really the difference between a conspiracy theory versus just the way the program is structured.

I don’t know. But the sheer amount of rooms rented through EH warrants a raised eyebrow. Not that anyone can do anything about it. And it coincides with scant inventory at the most popular resorts. I don’t consider myself the tin foil hat conspiracy fear monger, but the anecdotal evidence suggests something is afoot.

If it walks like a duck ...

Wes.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Discovery owners and owners paying that $199 are not staying in owner owned inventory. Discovery owners are staying in rooms designated as discovery. That's why not all resorts participate in Discovery. Not all resorts have the ability to set aside rooms for a small pool of owners. The owners paying $199 are staying in rooms that Wyndham owns.

That is not correct. Discovery owners see the same inventory availability as regular owners, with one exception - they can only stay at resorts that have an active sales center since the company’s goal is to upgrade them. Wyndham always has enough company-owned inventory to cover their Discovery obligation, but there is not a separate inventory pool.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
I have for sure seen this at Panama City and I think Bonnet during on peak times googling and applying discount codes for Extra Holidays within a short time frame. You'd have to be flexible in your travels to pull this off with Extra Holidays.

I agree. But often times, due to availability, you don’t always get your first choice (choices) as an owner either, especially if you’re booking on shorter notice. There are also quite a lot of other rental outlets besides the company-owned Extra Holidays. But of course the rental definitely takes some flexibility.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
I think that’s one factor people miss about extra holidays. You can, in some instances, get accommodations cheaper then maintenance fees when they are on sale. Otherwise they cost more. Even if you have CWA points, Extra Holidays is usually more. People like to say that non-owners can stay there for cheaper, but they don’t realize, that you don’t always get what you want at a cheap price. As you said, they have to be flexible if they want to stay at a resort cheaper then maintenance fees. I wouldn’t doubt that many of the people who say that on the Facebook pages are just regurgitating what they read somewhere else. They never actually looked to see if the places they want to go are cheaper then their maintenance fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best value from EH is of course going with what’s available, versus what you want. The ADR for EH was around $185 a few years ago. So 7 nights at that rate would cost around $1300. That’s a little more than the average annual maintenance fee, but the EH guest didn’t have to spend $25K to purchase from the developer.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
That is not correct. Discovery owners see the same inventory availability as regular owners, with one exception - they can only stay at resorts that have an active sales center since the company’s goal is to upgrade them. Wyndham always has enough company-owned inventory to cover their Discovery obligation, but there is not a separate inventory pool.

They do not see inventory designated as Wyndham Select or Access. The reason being is because they don’t pay maintenance fees. Wyndham has to pay the maintenance fees on inventory designated as Discovery. Would you like to see a trial owner take away inventory from people who pay dues every year? No. That’s why they do not have access to all the inventory. Just what’s designated as Discovery. That’s why some discovery see no availability when regular owners do. I’ve seen it happen myself. A discovery owner saw no availability at a resort they are supposed to be able to book, but I did. And this was less then six months from checkin. If they had access to everything, they should have seen availability.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best value from EH is of course going with what’s available, versus what you want. The ADR for EH was around $185 a few years ago. So 7 nights at that rate would cost around $1300. That’s a little more than the average annual maintenance fee, but the EH guest didn’t have to spend $25K to purchase from the developer.
Renting from EH is always on the high side IMHO but you are correct its cheaper then buying developer points for a week at $25,000
Add in the annual maintenance fees that seem to go up more then the rate of inflation and $185 maybe a bargain.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

That’s generally why we tell people to buy resale unless they want VIP. VIP is worth it to some and not others. If they don’t want VIP, resale is always the way to go. I got a free Margaritaville 120,000 point contract, a $1 308,000 Branson contract (Gave this one away later), and a few lower maintenance fee contracts that cost more. Total costs for all the contracts that I paid for is about $5,500 when you factor in closing costs. I also have $35k spent time be VIP Gold. 292,000 are retail points and the rest are PIC points. My maintenance fees are low. Lower then what EH would cost me. Someone who buys all resale can find still come out ahead of someone who rents from extra holidays.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Renting from EH is always on the high side IMHO but you are correct its cheaper then buying developer points for a week at $25,000
Add in the annual maintenance fees that seem to go up more then the rate of inflation and $185 maybe a bargain.

Like you said though, it’s hit or miss on finding exactly what you want. Takes a lot of flexibility.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
They do not see inventory designated as Wyndham Select or Access. The reason being is because they don’t pay maintenance fees. Wyndham has to pay the maintenance fees on inventory designated as Discovery. Would you like to see a trial owner take away inventory from people who pay dues every year? No. That’s why they do not have access to all the inventory. Just what’s designated as Discovery. That’s why some discovery see no availability when regular owners do. I’ve seen it happen myself. A discovery owner saw no availability at a resort they are supposed to be able to book, but I did. And this was less then six months from checkin. If they had access to everything, they should have seen availability.

If a trial owner is at a resort then they are by default taking away inventory form an owner - however they got there. And as someone who worked with their inventory department, I can assure you that there is no separate designation. The only time a Discovery owner wouldn’t see the same inventory, within the Discovery booking window, is if it was at a resort that did not have a sales center. The Club Wyndham Discovery directory only includes resorts that have a sales center as they want to upgrade them and use their Discovery equity as a discount against the upgrade price to provide an upgrade incentive.

And of course Wyndham, as the developer, is responsible for the maintenance fees/carrying costs on the points used not just for Discovery, but also for any other unsold points still owned by the developer. In fact, that’s one of the reasons the Discovery product was created - to help monetize unsold inventory and reduce the carrying costs.

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)

It all depends on where you want to go. The reason I own Clearwater is below. Even with a 20% code I spent all of 15 seconds Googling for, a 5 night (Sunday-Thursday) 2 Bedroom Deluxe during July would cost me $3295.08 renting from Wyndham. My cost as a UDI owner would be $6/1000 rounding up x 195,000 points = $1170.00...difference of $2125.08.

Hell maybe I should start renting Clearwater if people are willing to pay that to Extra Holidays. I can get what I want when I want it at Clearwater except the 4 BR Presidential.

I think renting prime weekends with discount codes on Extra Holidays makes sense for High Availability resorts like Panama City and Bonnet Creek as often times I do not see the Weekend prices being much higher if any at all higher than the weekday prices.

Best option of course is to network with Top Tier VIP's who pass along some of their savings when renting resorts.

Clearwater_5Nights_Sun-Fri.png

Last edited:

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
That’s generally why we tell people to buy resale unless they want VIP. VIP is worth it to some and not others. If they don’t want VIP, resale is always the way to go. I got a free Margaritaville 120,000 point contract, a $1 308,000 Branson contract (Gave this one away later), and a few lower maintenance fee contracts that cost more. Total costs for all the contracts that I paid for is about $5,500 when you factor in closing costs. I also have $35k spent time be VIP Gold. 292,000 are retail points and the rest are PIC points. My maintenance fees are low. Lower then what EH would cost me. Someone who buys all resale can find still come out ahead of someone who rents from extra holidays.

Sounds like you made some wise decisions. It’s definitely hard to beat the value proposition of resale.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.

This! I am all resale owner and I can definitely see the value. We usually take a family vacation to Destin FL almost every year. Last year we booked the Hilton Sandestin for Memorial Day weekend we paid $1,700 for 3 nights in a hotel room and we had to book 2 rooms. This year we stayed at the Emerald Grande 3 bedroom and it cost me about $1,150.00 (234,000 points) so this alone gave us savings of $2,250 on one vacation alone and not to mention better accommodations. You can't even book Destin on EH for that weekend.

I always book my vacations about 6-10 months ahead so VIP is not worth it to me. In my experience EH is priced really high. Next year we are going to Hawaii and we are staying at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort and EH has the dates I have booked for $3,604.66 when it only cost me 231,000 points and my cost per point on that is less than $1,150.00.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A

Sounds like you made some wise decisions. It’s definitely hard to beat the value proposition of resale.
It all depends on where you want to go. The reason I own Clearwater is below. Even with a 20% code I spent all of 15 seconds Googling for, a 5 night (Sunday-Thursday) 2 Bedroom Deluxe during July would cost me $3295.08 renting from Wyndham. My cost as a UDI owner would be $6/1000 rounding up x 195,000 points = $1170.00...difference of $2125.08.

Hell maybe I should start renting Clearwater if people are willing to pay that to Extra Holidays. I can get what I want when I want it at Clearwater except the 4 BR Presidential.

I think renting prime weekends with discount codes on Extra Holidays makes sense for High Availability resorts like Panama City and Bonnet Creek as often times I do not see the Weekend prices being much higher if any at all higher than the weekday prices.

Best option of course is to network with Top Tier VIP's who pass along some of their savings when renting resorts.

View attachment 14739

Definitely. I think Clearwater rentals will always be exorbitant. It’s a great resort and it’s accessible to so many people as a drive-to location. You can get rentals for most Hawaii resorts for significantly less. And if you ever decided to rent Out your Clearwater time you probably would do quite well. It’s one of the few places where the old sales pitch about renting to cover your fees and more is probably true. I’m sure you know that you wouldn’t want to rent it through EH as they take a large cut.

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)
Definitely. I think Clearwater rentals will always be exorbitant. It’s a great resort and it’s accessible to so many people as a drive-to location. You can get rentals for most Hawaii resorts for significantly less. And if you ever decided to rent Out your Clearwater time you probably would do quite well. It’s one of the few places where the old sales pitch about renting to cover your fees and more is probably true. I’m sure you know that you wouldn’t want to rent it through EH as they take a large cut.

My kids love it there and the location is perfect. We just stop at Publix on the way in and never have to drive once parked. We can walk to the local eateries and shops and I just love the sunsets. My kids entire Spring Break Careers will be there I'm sure but we'll be in 2 BR Presidential Suites would I can't even imagine what would cost from Extra Holidays. I can see me getting into the rental game when my 11 and 9 year old boys are off in College and beyond or I'm older. I definitely plan to pick up some Clearwater Resale down the road when those contracts become available.

I tried to hit Silver VIP on 74k more Clearwater points but the resort wouldn't creat anything less than 105 I think which is too bad...as 360,000 points get's me 6 nights 2 bedroom presidential on peak and I'm at 326 which get's me 5 nights. We usually head over to Universal Studios or Bonnet Creek on the way home to finish off the week.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
My kids love it there and the location is perfect. We just stop at Publix on the way in and never have to drive once parked. We can walk to the local eateries and shops and I just love the sunsets. My kids entire Spring Break Careers will be there I'm sure but we'll be in 2 BR Presidential Suites would I can't even imagine what would cost from Extra Holidays. I can see me getting into the rental game when my 11 and 9 year old boys are off in College and beyond or I'm older. I definitely plan to pick up some Clearwater Resale down the road when those contracts become available.

I tried to hit Silver VIP on 74k more Clearwater points but the resort wouldn't creat anything less than 105 I think which is too bad...as 360,000 points get's me 6 nights 2 bedroom presidential on peak and I'm at 326 which get's me 5 nights. We usually head over to Universal Studios or Bonnet Creek on the way home to finish off the week.

Most local sales leaders won’t let their sales teams go below 105K point packages. They’re afraid that reps will take the path of least resistance instead of digging in for the higher-prices sake. If they wanted to they could sell as little as 28,000 points.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
If a trial owner is at a resort then they are by default taking away inventory form an owner - however they got there. And as someone who worked with their inventory department, I can assure you that there is no separate designation. The only time a Discovery owner wouldn’t see the same inventory, within the Discovery booking window, is if it was at a resort that did not have a sales center. The Club Wyndham Discovery directory only includes resorts that have a sales center as they want to upgrade them and use their Discovery equity as a discount against the upgrade price to provide an upgrade incentive.

And of course Wyndham, as the developer, is responsible for the maintenance fees/carrying costs on the points used not just for Discovery, but also for any other unsold points still owned by the developer. In fact, that’s one of the reasons the Discovery product was created - to help monetize unsold inventory and reduce the carrying costs.
It was Wyndham Anaheim. I remember thinking that one was hard to get into to begin with during prime season, but I was mistaking that one with Dolphin Cove. Wyndham Anaheim is in the Discovery directory. As I said, they should have been able to book it, but they didn’t see any availability when I did.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I can see owners who don’t want to do rentals themselves using EH by booking high demand resorts at peak time season. I mean a 1 bedroom deluxe at Clearwater is 250,000 points. If you rent that yourself at $7/1000 that’s $1750. That same week through EH would sell for $4625 (looking at July). Even if Wyndham takes a 40% cut you are still making $2775. So I can see owners booking these weeks for EH rentals and taking the gamble to whether it sells or not.

It might not sell at all or you may give EH a week and EH might only rent a weekend.

I'd rather try to rent it myself and cancel at 15 days before check-in if necessary. Load up some place else and try again. It hasn't been a problem this year. I've been out of 2019 points since the first week in July.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
It was Wyndham Anaheim. I remember thinking that one was hard to get into to begin with during prime season, but I was mistaking that one with Dolphin Cove. Wyndham Anaheim is in the Discovery directory. As I said, they should have been able to book it, but they didn’t see any availability when I did.

Interesting. They don’t block pools of points for Disco owners so not seeing Anaheim is surprising. To give you another example - one of the benefits of working for Wyndham is employee reservations. Employees can book at rates less than an average hotel. The only restriction is that they have a much smaller window to make the reservation. Typically 45 days unless a special request is approved. When employees book a unit they see the exact same inventory that is available to owners.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 14739
Yes networking with the Top tier VIP's will give you the best results.