• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shopping Online and being watched

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Last night I was on Wayfair looking at headboards and ordered one. Today West Elm sends me an email with “picks for you” of headboards.

I am subscribed to West Elm but never looked at headboards on their site.

As far as I know Wayfair and West Elm are competitors so my information had to be snatched and sold from Apple/Safari.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I believe this because of cookies that Wayfair or your browser put on your machine. I've moved to Brave browser, added nordVPN and have ad blockers installed to reduce this.

Run a Norton security scan to resolve and remove the cookies.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something like this happens to me all the time. I search for something on the Interner but don't buy. For weeks thereafter I get banner ads featuring the item from other companies. I don't really see it as a big problem. I just ignore them...

George

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've noticed many more targeted ads, just fairly recently, from the search and social media sites I frequent...and they are fairly immediate. Even more creepy is having a chat over morning coffee about a specific purchase or place of interest, with our devices nearby, only to get bombarded with ads specifically targeted. Obviously Hey Siri and Hey Google are listening....without saying 'hey'!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
In my experience, at least, I am not seeing any more ads than previously. It’s just that they are targeted now because of the cookies. You can turn them off but you’re just going to see ads that you may have no interest in whatsoever. I’ve chosen to allow them for now so at least I feel I have a little control over the ads I see. I guess I hate ads I have no interest in more than I hate cookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my experience, at least, I am not seeing any more ads than previously. It’s just that they are targeted now because of the cookies. You can turn them off but you’re just going to see ads that you may have no interest in whatsoever. I’ve chosen to allow them for now so at least I feel I have a little control over the ads I see. I guess I hate ads I have no interest in more than I hate cookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes...I allow cookies as I'd rather have targeted ads than a smorgasborg of ads. I recently updated a small kitchen appliance influenced by a targeted ad I received. So they can be useful. I clear my cache and cookies regularly and start fresh.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes...I allow cookies as I'd rather have targeted ads than a smorgasborg of ads. I recently updated a small kitchen appliance influenced by a targeted ad I received. So they can be useful. I clear my cache and cookies regularly and start fresh.

I do that as well, and on some sites I do not allow cookies at all.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we all hate them however, HTTP Cookies are, for better or worse, an integral part of the modern web.

They enable website features and basic website functionality. Things like, e-commerce shopping carts depend on them. Unfortunately, cookies are a necessary part of the way the web works however, as many have said, they are also a source of privacy concerns and security risks.

Try as we might, when all is said an done, cookies aren’t going anywhere and the majority of websites out there use cookies in some form or fashion. :shrug:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we all hate them however, HTTP Cookies are, for better or worse, an integral part of the modern web.

They enable website features and basic website functionality. Things like, e-commerce shopping carts depend on them. Unfortunately, cookies are a necessary part of the way the web works however, as many have said, they are also a source of privacy concerns and security risks.

Try as we might, when all is said an done, cookies aren’t going anywhere and the majority of websites out there use cookies in some form or fashion. :shrug:
AGREED. Digital marketing isn't going to stop. So, it's futile to fight it.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
The scary part (and have to believe a coincidence) was when my wife and I were discussing an actress that we had not heard about in years and 10 minutes later a facebook article pops up about her. That was creepy. I actually verified my microphone was off on my computer.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And digital marketing is paying for a lot of content on the web. Just like before the web, when print marketing paid for most of the content in newspapers and magazines. Even now broadcast marketing pays for radio and television content (unless your station is listener-supported and then they conduct interminable fund drives).

Ads is the price you pay to get free content.

Brett

Reaction score
I also mange cookies but even that doesn't always work, there are "super cookies" on the ISP server (Verizon, Cox, etc) where you can't erase them .... big brother is always watching !

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The part I find most annoying about cookies is after shopping everywhere to find that certain item I want, (let's say it is a pair of shoes), and I pull the trigger to buy them, for days (even weeks?) afterwards I get targeted ads for the exact same product, often from the same seller, inviting me to "buy it again." How many identical pairs of shoes do they think I need? It's even more annoying if it's a weird electronic part or a cable, or something. Something I only might ever need only one of.

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"The next 20 years will be about privacy..." Sometimes, Aaron Sorkin was more prescient than a lot of us thought.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This always happens to me - especially on Facebook. But in my email inbox ads as well.

Reactions: Tia

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe this because of cookies that Wayfair or your browser put on your machine. I've moved to Brave browser, added nordVPN and have ad blockers installed to reduce this.

Run a Norton security scan to resolve and remove the cookies.

Clearing cache and cookies after each visit to a site does have it's drawbacks.

Your settings on some sites will get deleted. This of course means having to sign in every time you visit. The sites you visit can seem slower because content, such as images, needs to load again. If you don't mind that than of course, delete it.

We need to keep in mind that anyone's online accounts such as social media, browsing history and personal data, can be mined by advertisers.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Cortana on my laptop, on occasion, will start talking. Sometimes it is about something we are talking about. Other times it isn't. I have the speaker on mute these days.

Some times those cookie adds come in handy, imo. They don't bother us.

Bill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The part I find most annoying about cookies is after shopping everywhere to find that certain item I want, (let's say it is a pair of shoes), and I pull the trigger to buy them, for days (even weeks?) afterwards I get targeted ads for the exact same product, often from the same seller, inviting me to "buy it again." How many identical pairs of shoes do they think I need?
Dave
LOL This is happening to me now after I bought shoes online (from a specialty company my sister recommended. There is no store near me). Why would I want another pair??? This was a luxury decision and I sure don't need more. Especially the exact same color and style.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
...Even more creepy is having a chat over morning coffee about a specific purchase or place of interest, with our devices nearby, only to get bombarded with ads specifically targeted. Obviously Hey Siri and Hey Google are listening....without saying 'hey'!

:eek::eek::eek:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Something like this happens to me all the time. I search for something on the Interner but don't buy. For weeks thereafter I get banner ads featuring the item from other companies. I don't really see it as a big problem. I just ignore them...

George
This was not a targeted ad in a banner. This was an email sent to me.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The idea that personal pricy still exists is a pigment of imagination.
We may as well assume that our lives are an open book to anyone who wants to look.