• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 hour visit to St John

dyi27308

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Annual WKORV OFD
Greetings,

I have never been to this resort but plan to in the future. I booked a Caribbean Cruise for April 2020 and at the St Thomas port, they offer a St John’s, “on you own” excursion. You get ferried over to St John and have 3 hours to explore.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to see the island and determine if I want to come back for a week. I am pretty sure I will enjoy the island but want to hear from the pros. Hawaii is my go to from the west coast but I hear great things about this place

Thank you

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greetings,

I have never been to this resort but plan to in the future. I booked a Caribbean Cruise for April 2020 and at the St Thomas port, they offer a St John’s, “on you own” excursion. You get ferried over to St John and have 3 hours to explore.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to see the island and determine if I want to come back for a week. I am pretty sure I will enjoy the island but want to hear from the pros. Hawaii is my go to from the west coast but I hear great things about this place

Thank you

Three hours isn’t a lot of time, but you could get a cab (usually a truck) and get a tour of the island. There are car rentals available too, but a cab may be more convenient. There are a number of beaches that are beautiful just to look at. You may even have time to take a quick dip. The town is very small too.

We have been to Westin St John once and will be returning in April. Other Tuggers have more experience and will add their insights. Like you, we are on the west coast and go to Hawaii more often, but do enjoy St Thomas and St John. Have a fun trip.

Best regards.

Mike

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I did this many years ago... Took a cab to Caneel Bay hotel (however, I did arrange a visit through the hotel beforehand) and spent several hours on their beach. However, Caneel Bay is closed now; but I'm sure you could find another great beach to spend an hour or two on. You can take a cab (they drive on the left side of the road, like in the UK, so renting a car would be an adventure).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Greetings,

Thank you

You don’t say what you are interested in doing. Are you going to have snorkel gear?
I’d suggest going out to Maho Bay - the turtles there are insane. Plus they have Maho Crossroads for drinks/food and entertainment (depending...).

If seas are calm - also consider going to Honeymoon Beach thru Caneel (they have shuttles from the north’s ore road. They also have drinks/food and rent beach stuff.

Trunk Bay is also worth it - depending... we go there when no Cruise ships are in.

Sadly, H.Irma devastated the near shore reefs. Plenty of sea life, but the hard corals took a beating.
Regardless, St John is beautiful- all the north shore beaches are worth seeing.

dyi27308

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Annual WKORV OFD
Thank you all for your responses and insight. My goal is to get a snapshot of the island so I can convince my wife that the trip will be worthwhile, from the west coast. We will have snorkel gear so I like the Maho Bay suggestions David. I guess getting a cab is the way to go. Is there an app of does someone have a contact.

I want to make sure that I have a ride back from the beach so that I don’t miss getting back on the cruise ship.

Thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you all for your responses and insight. My goal is to get a snapshot of the island so I can convince my wife that the trip will be worthwhile, from the west coast. We will have snorkel gear so I like the Maho Bay suggestions David. I guess getting a cab is the way to go. Is there an app of does someone have a contact.

I want to make sure that I have a ride back from the beach so that I don’t miss getting back on the cruise ship.

Thanks

They are no taxis per se - more like open air buses - you won’t have any issues getting back/forth with the the taxi-buses. Tons of them going up/down north shore road. Bring cash. The prices are listed on vinow.com. No need to call anyone.
Go to Maho, and work your way back to Cruz Bay. It is almost impossible not to see turtles at Maho - like whack a mole out on the bay.

We live in SF Bay Area - and go annually (June) to WSJ, but for 2 weeks, and have for 13 years now.
1 week is too short. Need time to adjust. 10 days minimum.
If you like beaches and crystal clear warm water - you will love STJ.

But, STJ is not for everyone.
Keep the word ‘Adapt’ in mind.

Be friendly - talk about the weather/etc before requesting service.
Do not be in a hurry.
Go so slow that you may feel like standing still.

“Still is still moving to me” - as the Willie Nelson song goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
My first week long visit to St. Croix gave me a lesson in "slow island time". Lunch took an average of 3 hours .... and lots of rum punch!

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Going again in May and can't wait!!! A short visit from a cruise ship will get you hooked.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
IMHO, the Caribbean blows away Hawaii. We've been to Maui and Kaua'i, totaling 17 nights over two separate vacations,
but will not be going back.
From the East coast it's too difficult a trip----a full, hard day going and same coming back. Caribbean is a 3.5 hr trip.
But that's not the full story.

Regarding beauty, I also rate the Caribbean far ahead of Hawaii, and comparing the user-friendly nature of the beaches,
I reach the same conclusion. Caribbean islands are drop-dead gorgeous,
nothing like it, and the water is far and away more colorful,
clear, and beautiful. The flatter beaches are whiter, softer, and just feel like they should, "like paradise should be".
Some Hawaii beaches can be rough and almost non-usable except to admire, and certainly not easy to walk and enjoy.

Snorkeling and other water activities (especially Wave Runners, aka Jet Ski boats) are more numerous
and "better" in the Caribbean, too. Caribbean sea life is teeming with exotic fishes, colors and varieties too amazing to describe,
and the coral, ship wrecks for diving, and boating options win out again.
Even the culture of "THE islands" of the Caribbean (a la Jimmy Buffett) is far more fun. Coming back from Hawaii last time,
I said to my wife, "If I hear anyone say 'Aloha' one more time I'll going to get sick".
(Nobody in the Virgin Isles says any kind of trite, redundant, touristy greeting, thank goodness.)

I've been to the Caribbean 3 times (once for a month) and have visited every US and British VI more than once.
We had a private full-day Sea Ray excursion out of St. Thomas, with Captain & mate, seeing and enjoying all of the islands,
and that day could never come close to being repeated in Hawaii. Our family still says that's the most fun day we've ever spent.
We did do a nice NaPali Coast boating excursion on Kaua'i and it was beautiful, but it was confined to the boat and the sea was not so smooth.
We actually visited many sites in Hawaii and saw as much as we could. The Caribbean still exceeds expectations, however.

Not to mention, we can go 3 times to the Caribbean for each Hawaii excursion,
everything considered, not only flights.
I do greatly appreciate the resorts we've visited in Hawaii...Maui Ocean Club and Kaua'i Beach Club---
both were top notch, beautiful, and loads of fun, but........

I do believe it's mostly an East coast-West coast thing, so I will understand the "other side" of the argument,
and I definitely get that people have different preferences, but I'll stick with the Caribbean islands all day long. Wife & children agree.
Not having remorse for visiting Hawaii, mind you---it was great to experience it.
But we like the Caribbean experience much more.

To those who haven't been, check it out, it's truly paradise. The islands below the US and British VI are also fantastic---
St. Lucia, St Maarten, etc......so the number of options are exhaustive.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Boy... that is a lot of words. Especially when the OP is asking what to do on STJ for 3 days and no mention of HI.

It is possible to like them both...
Perception does not need to be just good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
With only 3 hours, I’d personally head to Megan’s Bay on St Thomas. St John is much quieter and more densely forested version of St Thomas, but they have similar geography and scenery.

If you really want a taste of St John, ask a taxi driver to take you on a brief tour of the town and then drop you off at one of the nearby beaches. If you try to do more than that (eg see Coral Bay) you’ll waste too much time in a car.