• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just switched to GMail and don't understand how it saves emails.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just switched a few months ago because my previous email got hacked and initially liked GMail but now i'm confused as to how/if it saves emails because I don't see emails i know received and sent. I don't like the way it groups the emails from the same person instead of just by date like every other email system I've used.

Do i have the settings wrong or something? Very strange now that I realize what is happening.

Any one else have Gmail know what I'm talking about?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How are you accessing it?

- Web Browser?
- IOS or Android App?
- Mail Client?

I use the mail client on my iPad, so mail is organized and saved within the app.

I also use the Chrome web browser when I use a PC, works fine and I like the way it separates mail into tabs for Promotions, etc. Its all adjusted in the Settings.

I also access it on my Android phone with the app.

Mine are all sorted by date/ time, not sure what setting you check to organize by sender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking @ Gmail in a web browser, you'll see all sorts of folders on the left hand side -- one of which is "Sent" . You can see all of your sent email there.

Go into Gmail's setting to turn Conversation View OFF. That way it won't group emails from the same person that you are describing.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The thing that took a while for me regarding gmail is using labels instead of folders. I like folders better because that is what I am use to. You can use a label to include any groups of emails by opening the email then clicking on the label tab at the right side of the email and then create a label.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just switched a few months ago because my previous email got hacked and initially liked GMail but now i'm confused as to how/if it saves emails because I don't see emails i know received and sent. I don't like the way it groups the emails from the same person instead of just by date like every other email system I've used.

Do i have the settings wrong or something? Very strange now that I realize what is happening.

Any one else have Gmail know what I'm talking about?

I hate grouped emails also. I have a gmail account and another account. The gmail account takes the emails I get from the other account, which is my main account.(I set this up initially that way because I thought I might lose my main email account, but that wasn't the case). Both email accounts group them together and i wish they did not.

But gmail does save them. So I am not sure why you don't see them.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The thing that took a while for me regarding gmail is using labels instead of folders. I like folders better because that is what I am use to. You can use a label to include any groups of emails by opening the email then clicking on the label tab at the right side of the email and then create a label.

Bill

What is a label?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
In GMail, can I set up folders to move specific emails to that I want to save rather than delete?

If so, how do I do this.

I know how to do it in Yahoo but not GMail.

Thanks

Richard

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is a label?

It is about the same thing as a folder. Gmail doesn't have folders but it does have labels. I have a label called timeshare where I put all my timeshare stuff in gmail. I have a folder called timeshare where I put all my timeshare stuff in outlook.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In GMail, can I set up folders to move specific emails to that I want to save rather than delete?

If so, how do I do this.

I know how to do it in Yahoo but not GMail.

Thanks

Richard

You would open the email and create a label. With gmail, labels are folders.

Bill

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
You would open the email and create a label. With gmail, labels are folders.

Bill
I have an Android phone. When I open the Gmail app on the phone and open an email - I don't see anything that would allow me to create a label. So I'm still in the dark.

Richard

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can use outlook now on your android phone if your more familiar with using outlook. I prefer using it.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have an Android phone. When I open the Gmail app on the phone and open an email - I don't see anything that would allow me to create a label. So I'm still in the dark.

Richard

I don't think gmail has a create label function on android phones. Mine doesn't. I use outlook but I create all my folders from my laptop.

Bill

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just a pro tip, gmail is not backed up at all (despite being "in the cloud")...and while rare...losing your gmail account/data does happen with no ability to recover the data from gmail should it happen.

i recently started using a free tool called spinbackup that seems to work great and rated very highly...super simple to use sofar, although admittedly ive not attempted to recover lost mail from it yet.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't love Gmail either. Honestly, I usually just use the search function to find what I'm looking for there.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I use Gmail as my main email account, so I can get to my mail from whatever device I’m using at the time. Between two Mac laptops, an Android tablet, an iPhone, and a Windows 10 PC, I never know how I’ll need to get to things.

My main home computer is a Mac laptop, and I use Outlook (Office 365) on it to organize things similarly to how my work email is handled on the Win10 PC there. It’s not the same, but at least it’s familiar. Too many accounts to manage.

Gone are the days of delight in hearing “You’ve got mail!” These days it’s more like “What now??” :)

Dave

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is my dirty little secret. I still use AOL and typically get fun of for doing so. I go off the not broke, why fix idea. I did establish a gmail account a while back, but the task of changing my email address on everything in my life just seems daunting and boring.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Ok, here is my dirty little secret. I still use AOL and typically get fun of for doing so. I go off the not broke, why fix idea. I did establish a gmail account a while back, but the task of changing my email address on everything in my life just seems daunting and boring.

Your not alone. My DH still uses AOL for email!

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm a believer in " if it isn't broke don't fix it " , with the modification of if it is still efficient for you, keep on using.
No criticism from me, on keeping what works for you. The latest and greatest is not necessary for everybody.

I have used the forwarding function for all emails, from one email account to another in the past to transition however when necessary.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I use both Yahoo Mail and Gmail and customize folders for my activities.
When I set up folders/labels for travel, I give them a self-sorting name:
"TRV yr.# Destination" Example: TRV 20.2 Europe

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I just post all my Gmails on reddit. That way I can find them whenever i need them. Just using Google search.
Very convenient, i don't even need to log into my email to read them after the first time.