• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Kohala Suites 8,400 points

jr821

Reaction score
Hi, My husband and I are hoping to purchase our first TS. We went to a Hilton Boulevard Presentation a couple of weeks and have become interested in buying a resale unit. We found a HGVC Kohala Suites unit with 8,400 points and the mf is around $1570, the purchase price is $4000. We would get the points from this year as long as we pay the mf for 2019 $1571. The closing fees are around $1170. Please help us out, is this a good deal, are we paying too much?
Thanks

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Hi, My husband and I are hoping to purchase our first TS. We went to a Hilton Boulevard Presentation a couple of weeks and have become interested in buying a resale unit. We found a HGVC Kohala Suites unit with 8,400 points and the mf is around $1570, the purchase price is $4000. We would get the points from this year as long as we pay the mf for 2019 $1571. The closing fees are around $1170. Please help us out, is this a good deal, are we paying too much?
Thanks

The numbers sound pretty good. You can get a lower MF elsewhere for that point total but not for Hawaii properties and that’s more than outweighed by the low purchase price - at least for several years.

One caution I’d have is about paying for the 2019 points. I might be be nervous about closing the deal in order to use or bank those points while it is 2019? Others more experienced might have better awareness on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
The numbers sound pretty good. You can get a lower MF elsewhere for that point total but not for Hawaii properties and that’s more than outweighed by the low purchase price - at least for several years.

One caution I’d have is about paying for the 2019 points. I might be be nervous about closing the deal in order to use or bank those points while it is 2019? Others more experienced might have better awareness on this.

Yeah, I agree with this. Closing companies can be pretty slow. If they would pay to bank those points, then it might be ok.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I would only recommend that you purchase if you are planning to travel most years to Hawaii and use the unit. This is because MF are higher than average. Honestly, Kohala Suites is pretty easy to book during club season.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would only recommend that you purchase if you are planning to travel most years to Hawaii and use the unit. This is because MF are higher than average. Honestly, Kohala Suites is pretty easy to book during club season.

I second this. We stay at Kohala and Bay Club a fair bit on Vegas points. Never an issue with availability. I'd also only do this if you want Home Week at Kohala.A favorite location for us, but it can be had for less in MF.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

I would also be wary about having the unit close in time and be able to bank points. Maybe work it into the purchase contract that seller will bank the points and you are to reimburse them for the banking fee. That would insure that the points that you pay the 2019 mf on are available when the contract is transferred to you. This is almost Nov and it could easily take until Jan to close the purchase.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

jr821

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help, great ideas. I think my husband and I will have to talk about it some more. We won’t be going to the Big island that often, we were kind of looking at that one because the purchase price was lower. I think it’s probably neat to find a place with a lower mf, since we are looking at keeping it for the long term.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help, great ideas. I think my husband and I will have to talk about it some more. We won’t be going to the Big island that often, we were kind of looking at that one because the purchase price was lower. I think it’s probably neat to find a place with a lower mf, since we are looking at keeping it for the long term.

As someone who made the mistake of going for low purchase price without thought to MF ratio and is now in the process of selling that purchase (after buying a better ratio), I'd definitely suggest doing your research first and getting something better-suited for the long term. Do the maths.

Cheers.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Definitely continue to research. We actually own at The Bay Club, which is an affiliate, because our intention is to visit every other year.

klowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings' Land
The price is good, and may not pass Hilton's ROFR process. But you should take your time and monitor sales prices on the TUG Marketplace. Kings' Land has good high point properties, but maintenance fees are high (but comparable to Kohala). You also need to decide how many points you will realistically need, since going over the 7,000 point threshold gets significantly more expensive. If you go to Hawaii a lot you will need a lot of points, but if not, perhaps 7,000 or less would suffice.

Regarding 2019 points, don't count on those. The 2019 maintenance fee (for 2019 points has already been paid), so I'm don't know why they say you have to pay the maintenance fee to get those points. Also, you won't really know if those points really exist until you get the Estoppel report from HGV. Frankly, it's too much to deal with before 2019 ends to count on those points. If it happens, great, but a lot would have to happen quickly for you to be able to move on these 2019 points. The owner may try to convince you to let them book a trip for you in your name with these remaining points, but again, what a complication this will add to your buying situation.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding 2019 points, don't count on those. The 2019 maintenance fee (for 2019 points has already been paid), so I'm don't know why they say you have to pay the maintenance fee to get those points.

What I'm quite sure they're saying here is that part of the purchase is to reimburse for the 2019 points since they are all available. Not a good idea, to be sure, but that can certainly add that to the sale terms that a buyer can either agree to or not.

Cheers.