• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How good should your English be to sit on a jury?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
From time to time I've mentioned our Italian friends. I do a fair amount of smiling and nodding and not understanding completely when she tells a story, and vice versa. He is better at pronunciation because he was in the working world here for 30 years. But neither of them "hear" us if they are distracted or if we change the subject abruptly (like apropos of nothing I blurt out "oh, we are now at the top of the waitlist at Carlsbad" -- no comment, no indication either of them heard me at the card table). So he got selected to be on a jury yesterday, in spite of protesting that he wouldn't be able to understand well enough to render a verdict. He was told "if you don't understand, ask us to repeat or explain it". Huh? In the middle of the trial he's supposed to say excuse me, I don't understand?! Sounds like basis for a retrial to me.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Often times people make excuses to get off jury duty so they don't take them very seriously. I was on a trial with a man who didn't hear well and after a short bit of trial they excused him. My guess is your friend will go the same. If the judge decides he really doesn't understand they will release him.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Your friend may not even make it past jury selection.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

That's what I told Antonella, and that he'd probably just report one day and be released. Nope. They picked him as one of 14 for a jury, and she didn't mention he was an alternate, although that concept may not register with her. He's 73 today and would just as soon be getting paid for doing customs paperwork for the Italian fruit & veggie imports for a company owned by a family friend, rather than missing work sitting on a jury.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That's what I told Antonella, and that he'd probably just report one day and be released. Nope. They picked him as one of 14 for a jury, and she didn't mention he was an alternate, although that concept may not register with her. He's 73 today and would just as soon be getting paid for doing customs paperwork for the Italian fruit & veggie imports for a company owned by a family friend, rather than missing work sitting on a jury.
Didn't realize he was already on a jury. Where we live if you are 70 (or older) you can be permanently excused from jury duty.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
In CA, if you're over 70, you can be excused from jury duty. DH just did this, but for mobility issues rather than for shirking the duty.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
In CA, if you're over 70, you can be excused from jury duty. DH just did this, but for mobility issues rather than for shirking the duty.
My dh is over 70 and is permanently excused. I think all he had to do was when he received the summons send it back indicating his age. He did it more because he was afraid he'd fall asleep in the afternoons. He has served (not here, but in other places he lived) and even served on a grand jury in New York City.

Interesting, I just went in and checked and supposedly it's 75 in New Mexico. But I know dh was permanently excused before he reached 75.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this up. I just checked and in Idaho, 70 is the magic number to be excused. I have served the few times I've been called but didn't know there was an age limit. WooHoo!

Jim

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Attorneys from both sides, as well as the Judge, in a process known as voir dire, pick the members of the jury. Any questions and/or concerns about anyone in the pool should be raised at that time. If your friend is determined to be not competent or suitable he would have been excused at that time.

I suppose the fun will take place when the other jurors are trying to reach a decision. :doh:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

Thanks so much! I know Cliff, Mom & Dad have all served on a jury past the age of 70, and we had no idea this would excuse you. I just left a message for Antonella to be aware in the future that Liborio does not need to serve.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks so much! I know Cliff, Mom & Dad have all served on a jury past the age of 70, and we had no idea this would excuse you. I just left a message for Antonella to be aware in the future that Liborio does not need to serve.
If he has been selected for a jury he will not have to serve again for a number of years anyway.

Sometimes everyone who shows up gets excused. This will happen when the trials are all settled. Usually happens in municipal courts. And this counts as your jury duty and excuses you for the next few years.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
If he has been selected for a jury he will not have to serve again for a number of years anyway.

Sometimes everyone who shows up gets excused. This will happen when the trials are all settled. Usually happens in municipal courts. And this counts as your jury duty and excuses you for the next few years.

I was selected several years ago, then they sent us to a room to chill before the trial started. Got called back in 40 minutes later and the judge said "she took one look at you and decided to take a plea deal instead". He then talked to us for 10 minutes about the importance of our having shown up to take part in the process, and thanking us for our time. I was quite impressed with him.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dh is over 70 and is permanently excused. I think all he had to do was when he received the summons send it back indicating his age. He did it more because he was afraid he'd fall asleep in the afternoons. He has served (not here, but in other places he lived) and even served on a grand jury in New York City.

Interesting, I just went in and checked and supposedly it's 75 in New Mexico. But I know dh was permanently excused before he reached 75.

This is the same for VA. 70 is the age you are permanently excused.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I was selected several years ago, then they sent us to a room to chill before the trial started. Got called back in 40 minutes later and the judge said "she took one look at you and decided to take a plea deal instead". He then talked to us for 10 minutes about the importance of our having shown up to take part in the process, and thanking us for our time. I was quite impressed with him.
It's nice when they do that. Each time this has happened when I've been called the judge has come out and given up the same spiel.

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
In FL you can be excused from jury duty if you are aged 70 or more. You can also be excused if you are pregnant.

I have been called for jury duty 4 times so far. Three criminal trials and 1 civil trial. I was actually picked as a juror for 2 of them. The excuses people try to make to the judge to get dismissed from serving on the jury are something else. In the trials I observed, the judges were not very tolerant of people's excuses not to serve.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I never get selected to a jury. I explained that I did some AUSA prosecution assistance work, and that I might have some pro-prosecution biases. Defense attorneys always excuse me.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I had an exact experience one time. Was selected for a jury in the morning. We broke for lunch. Came back ready to start the trial, and after a half hour, they said the plaintiff took a plea deal. Judge thanked us for being there and sent us home.

It was a few years before I was called again for jury duty, but I was selected again. I served as Foreman on that case.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel a perspective jury member needs to be able to hear clearly what everyone is saying and understanding the testimonials of both parties in a court of law. A jury member ability to speak proper English is secondary in making the correct jury decision. IMHO.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that if one cannot serve on a jury for lack of understanding of the English language then they should have to pay a tax and I am against most taxes. It is a needed sacrifice that if someone cannot do it others are called more often. My guess there is a reason why the prosecution/government does not push for that.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would suggest that if one cannot serve on a jury for lack of understanding of the English language then they should have to pay a tax and I am against most taxes. It is a needed sacrifice that if someone cannot do it others are called more often. My guess there is a reason why the prosecution/government does not push for that.

We had this situation in the county we used to live in. There are a lot of huge religious groups whose members do not serve (amazing how they buy up the land to settle on, Non profits (and tax exempt- smh....) and therefore, being it is a rural country- everyone else gets called to serve numerous times. I know people in other counties who have never been called ever, yet my husband and I were constantly called as soon as our term limit was up!

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember what one lawyer said in the jury selection pool portion.

"Feel free to ask questions. We have a name for potential jurors who don't ask questions. we call them jurors. . ."

Funny, I have never been selected for a sitting juror. . . :D

geekette

Reaction score
exactly what I was thinking. I have been called for jury duty A LOT, had to show up several times, only once made it to the courtroom but never to the jury. Lawyers would figure it out through their simple questioning.

geekette

Reaction score
No, no tax on this! That's gross. The reason it isn't pushed for is that it's plain Wrong.

Brett

Reaction score

yeah, there's probably a reason why governments don't tax people who have trouble with the English language