• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Puppy

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Peas in a Pod.jpg

Well, we got a new puppy. We've had two dachshunds concurrently for around a decade now but a little over a year ago, our 12 year old dachshund died unexpectedly.

So that left us with just Phoenix, the dog on the left in this pic. She soaked up the attention of being the only dog and we weren't 100% sure that any of us needed a second dog.

But then... we got an email from Phoenix's breeder. She had a pup she was planning on keeping as a show dog but the pup wasn't turning out out quite as exactly perfect conformationally as she had hoped. So she was looking to place her in a pet home. Did we want to take a look? Sure.

There really is no "just looking" at a dachshund puppy in my experience. You see one and you want it. That's what happened here. Little Ash came home with us that day.

So now we have new puppy Ash. She is 6 months old, the daughter of Phoenix's littermate brother Flash. So far, Ash is cute and merry but not quite as gamey as Phoenix who is keen into hunting sports and participates in dachshund field trials (rabbit) and Earthdog (rats in underground tunnels). Ash is however extremely food-motivated so I think you could train her to do most anything. Phoenix has recently started a dog sport called Nosework (similar training to that a drug sniffer dog would get) and I'll probably try that with Ash. She'd really dig the "do this and get a piece of chicken" aspect of nosework.

Anyway. They are two Peas in a Pod.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Adorable, congratulations on Ash joining your family.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very very adorable! Thank you for sharing the doggos with us.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congrats! Very cute! And you know this means you’re now living in a pair-a-dox.;)
Dave

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Awww, what cuties. When we lost our 2nd (of litter mates) cats, I wanted to adopt another 'set' immediately as I missed the companionship so and thought it would be a wonderful tribute to the companions I've had in my life. DH wanted to wait when I suggested we head down to the cat rescue group. He said 'let's go and just look'......ha ha ha. I told him there was no 'looking' and we would be coming home with a couple of kitties if we went looking. If he wasn't ready to adopt, we needed to wait. Later that day he suggested we go 'look' and we came home with our current 2. Not litter mates, but amazingly, each one has characteristics or our previous pair. I can't imagine life without them!

Ingrid

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! New babies are the best...whatever their age.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
OMG! Those dogs are so adorable! Congrats on your new family member!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, my! They really are a cute pair! And such a sweet story, too. Our hearts broke when our last beloved Lab died a few years ago. Oh, man, it hurt. It might finally be time to start looking for a new family member.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
View attachment 14744

Well, we got a new puppy. We've had two dachshunds concurrently for around a decade now but a little over a year ago, our 12 year old dachshund died unexpectedly.

So that left us with just Phoenix, the dog on the left in this pic. She soaked up the attention of being the only dog and we weren't 100% sure that any of us needed a second dog.

But then... we got an email from Phoenix's breeder. She had a pup she was planning on keeping as a show dog but the pup wasn't turning out out quite as exactly perfect conformationally as she had hoped. So she was looking to place her in a pet home. Did we want to take a look? Sure.

There really is no "just looking" at a dachshund puppy in my experience. You see one and you want it. That's what happened here. Little Ash came home with us that day.

So now we have new puppy Ash. She is 6 months old, the daughter of Phoenix's littermate brother Flash. So far, Ash is cute and merry but not quite as gamey as Phoenix who is keen into hunting sports and participates in dachshund field trials (rabbit) and Earthdog (rats in underground tunnels). Ash is however extremely food-motivated so I think you could train her to do most anything. Phoenix has recently started a dog sport called Nosework (similar training to that a drug sniffer dog would get) and I'll probably try that with Ash. She'd really dig the "do this and get a piece of chicken" aspect of nosework.

Anyway. They are two Peas in a Pod.

Just adorable! Those faces! So does "two Peas in a Pod" mean that Phoenix is happy to have another too?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Just adorable! Those faces! So does "two Peas in a Pod" mean that Phoenix is happy to have another too?

At first she was not and we thought the puppy might have to go back to the breeder. But each day, Phoenix has been happier and happier to have Ash around.

Yesterday was day 6 with the pup in the house and as of yesterday they had an enthusiastic romp session together and are officially best friends. It was pretty cute because Phoenix generally isn’t that into other dogs.

Just don’t steal my toys!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At first she was not and we thought the puppy might have to go back to the breeder. But each day, Phoenix has been happier and happier to have Ash around.

Yesterday was day 6 with the pup in the house and as of yesterday they had an enthusiastic romp session together and are officially best friends. It was pretty cute because Phoenix generally isn’t that into other dogs.

Just don’t steal my toys!

Only 6 days! That sounds great to me. I had a five year old, only Shih Tzu, a tiny girl that from the beginning had a different personality than the previous pair I had. She loved to play and she was smart enough to figure out, without my training her, to bring a toy, drop it at my feet and bark to get my attention so that I would throw it for a game of fetch. I thought she would love a companion to play with so bought another female Shih Tzu puppy. The older, Lizzie, never wanted to have anything to do with the new pup other than to occasionally sleep up against her when cold. I could crate them together with no problem but she never played again as she had previously. They had one or two short romps over the years. The new puppy, Olive pictured to the left, wanted her to play so badly and was often at her trying so hard. it is obvious even now that Olive was, and will always feel like "second dog." I don't know if it was just Lizzie's personality, her age when getting another, or if she might have taken to a male puppy better than to another female. Lizzie died a year and half ago and Olive is 10 now so no plan to get another though I am so drawn to photos of pups and can't imagine our lives without one.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Cute pups.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
A house without dogs seem so empty and lonesome. Glad you found a close relative to adopt. Ash is a cutie! Our current 'best friend', Mr. Polar Bear, (Lille Isbjorne in his native Danish) is slowing down at 11.5 years, so I suppose there will be another rescue in our future. They force me to get out and be more active, so they improve both the quantity and the quality of my life.

Jim

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I didn't know dachshund had a wire hair variety. Learn something new everyday. Very cute.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
A house without dogs seem so empty and lonesome. Glad you found a close relative to adopt. Ash is a cutie! Our current 'best friend', Mr. Polar Bear, is slowing down at 11.5 years, so I suppose there will be another rescue in our future. They force me to get out and be more active, so they improve both the quantity and the quality of my life.

Jim

FYI neither of the dogs are adopted.

The breeder incurs significant expense breeding and raising these dogs and IMO she definitely deserves reimbursement for that. Honestly more than I've paid her for the dogs, but that part is her business, not mine.

What do I get for my cash outlay? A couple of nice dogs with predictable traits. Dogs who come to me basically housebroken, leash-trained, and well-mannered. A place for the dogs to stay when we are away (subject to availability of course). And the knowledge that between the two households (mine and the breeder's) that the dogs always have a home.

I only bring this up because there's a new cultural trend suggesting the only acceptable manner of acquiring a dog is through adoption. I disagree with that- I think there's pros and cons both to adopting and to purchasing dogs. A lot of newby owners are better off connecting with a good breeder, for example. And people who enjoy specific dog sports are often times better off buying a dog who by virtue of breeding is likely to enjoy those sports too. Whereas obviously adopting a dog does a dog without a home a serious solid- definitely a laudable thing to do too.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I didn't know dachshund had a wire hair variety. Learn something new everyday. Very cute.

Dachshunds come in three coat types, two sizes, virtually every color or combination from white to black, and a variety of coat pattern effects (like dapple, known as Merle in other breeds.)

Cody, the little guy pictured in my avatar, is a black and cream dapple longhaired mini. He looks nothing like Phoenix or Ash, but the only real difference is color and coat type. And personality. Wirehairs are a very different personality from the longhaired varieties. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI neither of the dogs are adopted.
<snipped>
I only bring this up because there's a new cultural trend suggesting the only acceptable manner of acquiring a dog is through adoption. I disagree with that- I think there's pros and cons both to adopting and to purchasing dogs. A lot of newby owners are better off connecting with a good breeder, for example. And people who enjoy specific dog sports are often times better off buying a dog who by virtue of breeding is likely to enjoy those sports too. Whereas obviously adopting a dog does a dog without a home a serious solid- definitely a laudable thing to do too.
I was using the term 'adopted' generically. whether or not some renumeration is exchanged. I understand the difference, but it's unlikely the dog cares as long as they are loved. Too often breeders get all tied up with breed 'purity' so the puppies from a breeder get to be closely related. Traits, both favorable (hunting ability, 'nose', herding skills, etc.) and unfavorable (hip displacia and in Bear's case, blindness [retinas lacking rods and cones] can be inherited. Conscientious breeders are always aware and watchful of their bloodlines. An 'adopted' dog is not necessarily a 'mutt', nor is one purchased from a reputable breeder always perfect.

In the end, it's the love that binds and bonds us to our pets.

Jim

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Dachshunds come in three coat types, two sizes, virtually every color or combination from white to black, and a variety of coat pattern effects (like dapple, known as Merle another breeds.)

Cody, the little guy pictured in my avatar, is a black and cream dapple longhaired mini. He looks nothing like Phoenix or Ash, but the only real difference is color and coat type. And personality. Wirehairs are a very different personality from the longhaired varieties. :)

Dave
He's cute!! Interesting. I always thought of doxies as the "red" short smooth hair version. Kind of like I had a tri-color pembroke corgi and most people picture the sable and white version when they think corgi. (Then you can add on the Cardigan corgi!)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Dachshunds come in three coat types, two sizes, virtually every color or combination from white to black, and a variety of coat pattern effects (like dapple, known as Merle another breeds.)

Dave

The coat color that Phoenix and Ash display is called "wild boar". Lol but I sometimes call it "forest floor." Very good camo out in the woods.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
He's cute!! Interesting. I always thought of doxies as the "red" short smooth hair version. Kind of like I had a tri-color pembroke corgi and most people picture the sable and white version when they think corgi. (Then you can add on the Cardigan corgi!)

The classic wiener dog is the red smooth coat variety. But Doxies are quite often black and tan (or cream), too. My boy Kona is that color. Cody would be a basic black and cream, except he also has the (simple-dominant in Dachshunds) dapple gene, so his black and cream coat is broken into lighter and darker areas, where pigment is not fully expressed in random locations. His silver patches are where black would be in a non-dappled dog.

Dave

Terrible picture to demonstrate the difference in colors:

PairaDoxie.JPG

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
What cuties DaveNW!

If DH weren't so severely allergic to dogs, we would also have a couple. It makes flying a real challenge for him now with everyone and their brother bringing emotional support dogs on board. I make sure we always carry his meds with us. We have 2 cats and while we're both allergic to them, the allergy is very mild and for us worth it!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The classic wiener dog is the red smooth coat variety. But Doxies are quite often black and tan (or cream), too. My boy Kona is that color. Cody would be a basic black and cream, except he also has the (simple-dominant in Dachshunds) dapple gene, so his black and cream coat is broken into lighter and darker areas, where pigment is not fully expressed in random locations. His silver patches are where black would be in a non-dappled dog.

Dave

Terrible picture to demonstrate the difference in colors:

View attachment 14763

I love those "polka dots" over Kona's eyes. Your avatar doesn't show them as light and as noticeable . Which photo is closer? They're both darling.