• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just purchased Westin Nanea, should we recind and purchase retail at Westin Kaanapali?

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Went on a tour last week and ended up purchasing an even year, 2 bedroom resort view at Westin Nanea Maui. We plan to return yearly with and without or kids. However doing some research I'm seeing buying resale will save us $20k+. However I'm torn what a better fit will be for us in the long term.

We were told with nanea we can book at the kaanapali at the 8month booking window. Any unused "points" can be converted to Marriott points and that we have the option to book our week any day of the week instead of kaanapali which check in is only Fri, sat and sun.

Now I'm curious if we do the opposite and own kaanapali can we book into nanea any day of the week? I was told if we bought nanea resale we could not book at kaanapali or convert to Marriott points.

And lastly how hard is it to get into these resorts at the 12 and 8 month window?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Those three properties are next to each other, they are essentially one resort. Nanea, Westin Kaanapali North, Westin Kaanapali.

Of those three, Nanea is "voluntary" in regards to participation in VSN, which means you only get StarOptions if you purchase from the developer. If you resell your property, StarOptions at Nanea do not transfer. This results in Nanea, especially resort view, depreciating close to zero the moment your rescission period expires.

The other two properties, Westin Kaanapali and Westin Kaanapali North, are "mandatory" in regards to participation in VSN, meaning StarOptions DO transfer on resale. For this reason, resale values are still high at those properties. If you buy resale there, you will be able to sell it for about the same price you paid.

Another consideration, I would never buy resort view at Nanea. It is not desirable. There have been reports of people complaining about shuttle constantly beeping and occasional sewage smell at Nanea resort view. A universal recommendation on TUG is buy an ocean view or oceanfront at Westin Kaanapali or Westin Kaanapali North if you want to stay there during high season. If you are OK with island view and/or lower season, then buy at another non-Hawaii "mandatory" Vistana property, where maintenance fees are much lower (Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella or Key West sections prime season non-lockoff 2br for 81,000 StarOptions, or Westin Kierland Villas PlatinumPlus season 2br for 148,100 StarOptions) and use your StarOptions to book Maui at 8 months.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@LAbad Welcome to TUG. First of all, rescind immediately. You can do much better with resale. That unit will always be there after you research this, however you only have a few days to rescind.

Do this now. If this was last week today may be your last day. Have all buyers sign and get it postmarked ASAP with tracking. Follow directions on contract exactly. It goes based on postmark.

Best to buy Kaanapali mandatory resale and then use staroptions to stay at Nanea if desired. Nanea doesn't have the same rights as Kaanapali north and south.

Westin Nanea resort view is not great. Kaanapali north and south much better. You can get a resale OV or possibly OF for what you paid for resort view Nanea.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Went on a tour last week and ended up purchasing an even year, 2 bedroom resort view at Westin Nanea Maui. We plan to return yearly with and without or kids. However doing some research I'm seeing buying resale will save us $20k+. However I'm torn what a better fit will be for us in the long term.

We were told with nanea we can book at the kaanapali at the 8month booking window. Any unused "points" can be converted to Marriott points and that we have the option to book our week any day of the week instead of kaanapali which check in is only Fri, sat and sun.

Now I'm curious if we do the opposite and own kaanapali can we book into nanea any day of the week? I was told if we bought nanea resale we could not book at kaanapali or convert to Marriott points.

And lastly how hard is it to get into these resorts at the 12 and 8 month window?

As echino alluded to, I would recommend rescinding your purchase. Follow the instructions that were provided in your paper work and don’t talk to the sales people again.

We bought at Kierland Villas and have used StarOptions to trade into the North property. In fact, we check into an ocean front studio later today for a three day stay as we had some SO’s remaining. Unless you are trying to trade in during peak season (whale season and parts of summer) it has been easy to make the trade using SO’s.

I would also recommend you talk with Syed Sarmad, who is a highly thought of resale agent and he lives on Maui. His number is 808-268-3826. If you are still on the island you can meet him in his office, which is located inside the mall where Safeway is in Lahaina.

Best regards.

Mike

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
We have until the 26th to recind and plan to drop it in the post today.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Check out TUG and Redweek for resales. You can buy an EOY Ocean FRONT at WKORVN for about $12,000 - $15,000.

Since you are new to this, call Syed Sarmad www.advantagevacations.com and he can help you find the right unit without getting scammed.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
We have until the 26th to recind and plan to drop it in the post today.
Send the letter USPS certified. Be sure both your and your wife both sign the rescission letter and have both your printed names. What was the purchase price of your TS?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
+1 on rescinding. You can do much better buying a resale at WKORV (stay away from IV here) or WKORV-N (any view that fits your budget will be fine, but MF's are the same regardless of view).

I'm curious because I didn't think they were selling Nanea Options as a stand-alone option - I thought it was all Westin Flex now?

I don't think others have answered your questions on the booking windows fully. There is plenty of information on the system elsewhere on TUG - but I'll try to summarize answers to what you have asked.

Between 12-8 months from the date of check-in:

If you buy WKORV or WKORV-N resale you can book for the full week only with a check-in date of Friday/Saturday or Sunday at the resort you own.

Between 8 months to 60 days your booking would technically be a StarOption reservation:

You can reserve at any of the resorts in the system starting any day of the week and a reservation does not need to be exactly one week. On Maui this means you could book into Nanea, WKORV and WKORV-N. Note with a SO reservation it is most likely that you will get either a resort or island view. Booking for high demand periods (Jan-early april, summer) is competitive and you would need to be on at exactly the 8 month mark.

Westin Flex is a different product which allows you to book at one of the home resorts (which includes the Maui resorts, mainland US Westin and Princeville) starting at 12 months. You can book a reservation to start on any day and it can be up to 14 days in duration. Resale Flex would be able to book at all the home resorts; however, resale contracts don't have SO that transfer on resale, so you could not book into WSJ, Atlantis or the Sheraton properties. Westin Flex does not have oceanfront view in inventory - only Island/Resort/Oceanview. There have been very few sightings of resale Westin Flex on the resale market, so it is likely you would have to purchase from the developer.

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Send the letter USPS certified. Be sure both your and your wife both sign the rescission letter and have both your printed names. What was the purchase price of your TS?
It was $31k for 2 bedroom resort view eoy.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It was $31k for 2 bedroom resort view eoy.

Ouch; you dodged a bullet by rescinding.

For the $31K you paid, you can now buy an annual ocean front unit at WKORV for that price; the annual MF's are much cheaper, too. But take your time -- at least a few months -- before buying anything. Prices are not going up.

Another endorsement here for Syed Sarmad; he has been a broker in three of our transactions, all of which went smoothly.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for taking your time after you rescind before you buy. Do your research. Resales, and their prices, aren't going anywhere soon.

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Funny enough I just happened to call Sayed on a property. Looks like he can save us a bunch more than the other resale property we were looking at.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Funny enough I just happened to call Sayed on a property. Looks like he can save us a bunch more than the other resale property we were looking at.

Outstanding! Glad to hear you connected with him. We stopped by his office yesterday just to say hello, but he was with a couple. I wondered if it was you.

If you are still on the island and would like to meet in person please PM (private message) me.

Best regards.

Mike

Vickilee59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville
Hi LAbad. I just found this group tonight. We have two deeds at the Westin Princeville. If you are considering pulling out of Nanea and looking at a resale, Princeville is great.You can also use the week at any of the other Vistana properties, including Nanea by booking 8 months out. We went to Maui last year on our timeshare.
Vicki

Last edited by a moderator:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi LAbad. I just found this group tonight. We have two deeds at the Westin Princeville. If you are considering pulling out of Nanea and looking at a resale, Princeville is great. We are looking to sell one of the deeds for a floating week. You can also use the week at any of the other Vistana properties, including Nanea by booking 8 months out. We went to Maui last year on our timeshare. Would be happy to talk,
Vicki

I believe that unfortunately the Westin Princeville property is a voluntary resort, which means that the StarOptions DO NOT transfer to a new owner unless you will it to your child. They can use the ownership at that resort or trade it through II.

Best regards.

Mike

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
@LAbad

Ready? Here are Tater's 10 rules for (prospective) new timeshare owners (1st edition)
  1. If you can still rescind (postmark date...varies by location of purchase) RESCIND NOW!!! (if you have already rescinded or haven't signed/bought yet...see step 2)
  2. If you are thinking about signing/buying, and you still have ANY questions, doubts, thoughts etc.... DON'T SIGN or BUY!!!
    • a) Take 3 deep breaths. Move away from the computer/table/salesperson. Now RUN AWAY!!!!
    • b) Any Developer purchase that can be bought/signed for today, can be had tomorrow for the same price or less. (99% true....a truly educated buyer might know the diff)
  3. You escaped the perils of purchase and refused/rescinded...CONGRATULATIONS. Thinking about buying resale while your mind is still fresh (polluted)? STOP. See 2 and 2a above.
  4. Before you buy a timeshare (developer OR resale), you must SLOW DOWN grasshopper. You must THINK slowly and thoroughly. You must CONSULT the wisdom of TUG master(s).
  5. Timeshares are a luxury. The enlightened DO NOT BUY TIMESHARES ON CREDIT/FINANCE!!!
  6. Easy-come-easy-go; applies to money and romance. Not timeshares. They are easy-peasy to buy, but TIMESHARES MAY BE VERY DIFFICULT TO GET RID OF!!!
  7. Once you reach 'ENLIGHTENMENT' you will realize that YOU STILL KNOW NOTHING (John Snow). Don't make a hasty resale purchase. AVOID the RESALE REBOUND MISTAKE.
  8. GET EXPERT ADVICE FROM TUG!!! Once you think you know what you would like, use, enjoy and can afford, get advice from fellow tuggers on the 'minute details' that matter.
  9. SHOP AROUND: Many sellers, many markets, crazy high/low prices. Know the value--get multiple offers! USE TRUSTED SELLERS with good reviews/recommendations . (TUG)
  10. BUY ONCE, BUY RIGHT, LEARN HOW TO USE WHAT YOU'VE BOUGHT!!! Consider becoming a TUG member to learn how to really maximize your vacation goals!!

Yes, it's silly. Yes, it really pushes TUG as a resource. Trust me, TUG is a gold-mine. It has saved me many times (Developer, Developer, Resale etc...)

WKORV, WKORVN, WKORNN are great. But, "Ya gotta have a program to know the players!" Especially with MF's 1BR's, OFD's, OFC's and OV/IV/PLV at these resorts! Have no idea what I mean?

TUG is the answer.

(And no, I don't work here or own stock). :rolleyes:

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
I believe that unfortunately the Westin Princeville property is a voluntary resort, which means that the StarOptions DO NOT transfer to a new owner unless you will it to your child. They can use the ownership at that resort or trade it through II.

Best regards.

Mike
What is II?

Vickilee59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville
II is interval international. Thank you for the information. I did not know that about the Star Options. Yes, I just checked and Westin Princeville is voluntary resort.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
II is interval international. Thank you for the information. I did not know that about the Star Options. Yes, I just checked and Westin Princeville is voluntary resort.
Let me add:

There are very good reasons to buy Vistana timeshares--both mandatory and voluntary. But, you really need to understand the nuances (and the blunt differences) before even considering one of these resorts. Lots to read, lots to decide.

my advice: Don't try to make a timeshare FIT 'your vacation needs and goals...' try to find the perfect timeshare to fulfill your vacation needs etc... without a shoehorn.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
BTW: Westin Princeville and Westin Ka'anapali ORV North/South/Nanea are very very different animals. They are both in the state of hawaii and both Westin, but.....

LAbad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Let me add:

There are very good reasons to buy Vistana timeshares--both mandatory and voluntary. But, you really need to understand the nuances (and the blunt differences) before even considering one of these resorts. Lots to read, lots to decide.

my advice: Don't try to make a timeshare FIT 'your vacation needs and goals...' try to find the perfect timeshare to fulfill your vacation needs etc... without a shoehorn.

Such great information and advice. I think we were trying to get a timeshare to fit our vacation plans for 2020. That's not gonna happen. We will purchase based on our needs for the next 20years.
My biggest fear is we purchased and then can't get the room during the times we need. It will litterally be money down the drain.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Such great information and advice. I think we were trying to get a timeshare to fit our vacation plans for 2020. That's not gonna happen. We will purchase based on our needs for the next 20years.
My biggest fear is we purchased and then can't get the room during the times we need. It will litterally be money down the drain.

Now that's the smartest thing I've heard in a long time!!!

Rent for a season and see if you like. It's not that much compared to MF's and you'll get the "real feel" for the resort.