• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Puppy

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
You guys are making me want to get a dog!

Me too, another, as we've usually had a pair. However, one day we want to travel for three months at a time in Europe and that would be difficult with a dog/dogs. If we end up having to stay put, and are physically capable of caring for one or two, we would certainly want a dog in our lives. I do feel it would be irresponsible of us to adopt a puppy at our ages without someone, perhaps our daughter, who would agree to take them if something happened to us. She and her husband like big dogs, and we small, and they a big lab, plus a cat. We do have a pet trust with money set aside and a person named to care for our them, should we still have them at death. However, she is no longer well enough to actually take our pup/pups should something happen to us. She is, however, still the best person to find the the perfect home for our Olive or future pup/pups.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Congrats and thanks for taking Ash home with you!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Me too, another, as we've usually had a pair. However, one day we want to travel for three months at a time in Europe and that would be difficult with a dog/dogs. If we end up having to stay put, and are physically capable of caring for one or two, we would certainly want a dog in our lives. I do feel it would be irresponsible of us to adopt a puppy at our ages without someone, perhaps our daughter, who would agree to take them if something happened to us. She and her husband like big dogs, and we small, and they a big lab, plus a cat. We do have a pet trust with money set aside and a person named to care for our them, should we still have them at death. However, she is no longer well enough to actually take our pup/pups should something happen to us. She is, however, still the best person to find the the perfect home for our Olive or future pup/pups.

Well if you find the right breeder, they will take the dogs back if something happens to you. This is a common feature of the relationship with breeders, a lot of owner contracts stipulate that if you’re unable to keep the dog, it goes back to the breeder by default or you at least involve them in choosing who the dog goes to. Usually the breeder does not ultimately keep the dogs but they’d go to a Shih Tzu loving home.

I connected originally with some SoCal dachshund breeders because we were originally (when we got Phoenix) looking for an adult (4-6yr) dachshund. We knew breeders frequently have adult dogs to place- retired show dogs, retired breeding female, and occasional dogs that have come back to the breeder through a change in life circumstance.

Some breeders breed to make a profit selling pups, that’s not the kind of breeder you’d be looking for. Some breeders breed because they’re aficionados of the breed- that’s the kind you’re looking for and usually you can figure this out during the inquiry process. The aficionado type usually has less puppies per year available, they want to interview you and they have a owner contract that specifically states they get the dog back if you can’t keep him or her.

Food for thought.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I love those "polka dots" over Kona's eyes. Your avatar doesn't show them as light and as noticeable . Which photo is closer? They're both darling.

Kona’s spots really stand out from his solid black coat. My avatar is Cody, his dappled older brother. Cody also has the spots, but they kind of get lost in the dappled speckling. This weekend we’re bathing and grooming them. I’ll try to get clear images so you can compare the difference. ;)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well if you find the right breeder, they will take the dogs back if something happens to you. This is a common feature of the relationship with breeders, a lot of owner contracts stipulate that if you’re unable to keep the dog, it goes back to the breeder by default or you at least involve them in choosing who the dog goes to. Usually the breeder does not ultimately keep the dogs but they’d go to a Shih Tzu loving home.

I connected originally with some SoCal dachshund breeders because we were originally (when we got Phoenix) looking for an adult (4-6yr) dachshund. We knew breeders frequently have adult dogs to place- retired show dogs, retired breeding female, and occasional dogs that have come back to the breeder through a change in life circumstance.

Some breeders breed to make a profit selling pups, that’s not the kind of breeder you’d be looking for. Some breeders breed because they’re aficionados of the breed- that’s the kind you’re looking for and usually you can figure this out during the inquiry process. The aficionado type usually has less puppies per year available, they want to interview you and they have a owner contract that specifically states they get the dog back if you can’t keep him or her.

Food for thought.

So totally agree with this. If your intent is to own the best example of the breed, find and build a relationship with a great breeder. You may find them at dog shows, where the intent is to improve the breed through selective breeding. Be aware you may have to wait for a puppy to be available, and when they do come up, there may be a substantial price tag attached. It will be worth the wait.

Irresponsible breeders are in it for the money, and they often combine adults who carry conflicting genes, in the attempt to make a more expensive designer breed or color puppy. Bad actors, and this kind of breeding should be avoided.

Dapple in Doxies is a simple dominant gene, so if a puppy inherits it from either parent, it will visually be dappled. In the race to make money, some breeders will mix a dapple to another dapple. 25% of puppies will be “double dapple,” with two inherited dapple genes, which can result in blind or deaf puppies. Completely irresponsible. Avoid those people.

Phoenix and Ash are beautiful dogs, who have a perfect home. I’m very happy for you, and for them! :)

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Be aware you may have to wait for a puppy to be available, and when they do come up, there may be a substantial price tag attached.

The interesting thing with our dogs is that we paid only a fraction of what we expected we might pay for a puppy, like 25%. I don’t really understand why these pups were sold so inexpensively, the breeder could definitely ask way more. I haven’t asked but I think the priority is getting them into the right homes and the breeder we’re working with doesn’t want money to be a barrier to that. Just recoup her expenses and a little bit for her time. She is the Puppy Whisperer and spends a lot of time with the pups, they all have a good training start. She also has a puppy enrichment playground (including Earthdog tunnels) that they spend time in every day. She only participates in conformation showing because the puppies take so much of her time. Mostly she is really into trying to produce a different miniature dachshund- back to the dachshund roots of being a little smaller (to work in dens, modern show dachshunds are getting bigger and flashier). She also wants them to be more “dachshundy”- ie with hunting and sniffing instincts. But also to be enjoyable pets.

Part of the deal is the dogs are welcome to stay with her whenever we want and she’s mostly available. No charge for that. She even included our now-deceased dog in that offer (who was no relation to any of her dogs). It’s not convenient (she lives 2.5 hr away from us) but we avail ourselves of that offer regularly. Probably 2-3 weeks per year. It’s nice to leave the dogs at the Dachshund Play Zone vs leaving them at the clinic.

The “value” of free boarding has already far exceeded the $ we paid to get Phoenix. Plus she knows everybody in the SoCal dachshund world so got me hooked up with the right people when Phoenix showed some hunting chops. Breeders get a bad rap these days, people want to peg them all as “puppy mills”. But some of em are great conscientious people who a doing good things by dogs everyday.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The interesting thing with our dogs is that we paid only a fraction of what we expected we might pay for a puppy, like 25%. I don’t really understand why these pups were sold so inexpensively, the breeder could definitely ask way more. I haven’t asked but I think the priority is getting them into the right homes and the breeder we’re working with doesn’t want money to be a barrier to that. Just recoup her expenses and a little bit for her time. She is the Puppy Whisperer and spends a lot of time with the pups, they all have a good training start. She also has a puppy enrichment playground (including Earthdog tunnels) that they spend time in every day. She only participates in conformation showing because the puppies take so much of her time. Mostly she is really into trying to produce a different miniature dachshund- back to the dachshund roots of being a little smaller (to work in dens, modern show dachshunds are getting bigger and flashier). She also wants them to be more “dachshundy”- ie with hunting and sniffing instincts. But also to be enjoyable pets.

Part of the deal is the dogs are welcome to stay with her whenever we want and she’s mostly available. No charge for that. She even included our now-deceased dog in that offer (who was no relation to any of her dogs). It’s not convenient (she lives 2.5 hr away from us) but we avail ourselves of that offer regularly. Probably 2-3 weeks per year. It’s nice to leave the dogs at the Dachshund Play Zone vs leaving them at the clinic.

The “value” of free boarding has already far exceeded the $ we paid to get Phoenix. Plus she knows everybody in the SoCal dachshund world so got me hooked up with the right people when Phoenix showed some hunting chops. Breeders get a bad rap these days, people want to peg them all as “puppy mills”. But some of em are great conscientious people who a doing good things by dogs everyday.

That is excellent to hear! You definitely have a great situation. As you mention, a lot of breeders are just in it for the money, and I think that's where the relationship with the breeder becomes paramount. It doesn't always have to be about the money, as your experience shows. On the other hand, I know without asking that your breeder is delighted to know her dogs are in your excellent care. So her generosity is likely to be somewhat reciprocal. My guess is she may not be as generous with some other folks she's placed puppies with.

My sister in law breeds extremely high-end Jack Russell and Parson Russell Terriers, (we're talking about Westminster participants every year.) I've seen her bend over backwards to work with some folks she really has connected with. With some others she is very direct and specific in what she will and won't do. I'm sure it has to be that way, or she'd be overwhelmed with people wanting something for nothing. It's great you have such a fine relationship with your breeder, and I'm sure the money you paid was secondary to getting those excellent dogs into the right home. Win-win for all of you, including the pups. :)

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
But I've been dogless for a couple of years now - but it's nice not worrying about pets when traveling

Yes. I agree. Our dogs passed in 2011 just at the time we started updating the house ( and refinishing the floors ). Though I miss having dogs I do not miss the work, the scratched and stained carpets, floors and furniture, hair and fur all over the place, the worry and being tied down.

That said maybe when we are older - we are homebodies to an extent- we might get a small dog. Since I had the karmic dream about the black mutt named Faith I feel compelled to find her somewhere in a shelter someday.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

Food for thought.

We had a show breeder like that in Notth Carolina for our second Shih Tzu. He was a beautiful boy. She would keep our two when we traveled and would groom them. She had a wonderful set up for them.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was 5 when my sister was born. Apparently our red Doxie was not as happy as my parents and was “rehomed”. That was 65 years ago and I still would rather have had that dog instead.