• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Make MVC our beneficiary for the Timeshares?

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
Strange question but we are in the middle of preparing a Living Trust. Our kids don't want our timeshares. We still use them so don't want to sell them now but don't want to burden anyone with fees - including non-profits. So I am thinking the best way for our estate to "dump" them would be to name Marriott Vacation Club the beneficiary of the Timeshares. All bought resale, thanks to TUG, titles free and clear.

What do you think? Thanks for any advice or options.
Andar

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
It won't work. MVCI is free to disclaim or renounce the bequest. Then they will be part of the residuary of the trust. No one can nnn be forced to accept a bequest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
Yes, but if the 'kids' don't accept it, does the trust have to pay maintenance fees and taxes and for how long? Won't it be better to just mail back the title to MCVI? The kids don't want to mess with them at all. Seems it would be better to give MCVI back the title current on taxes and fees.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
As 2disneydads correctly notes, any beneficiary could reject the bequest. Until title is transferred, the trust would continue to be the legal owner and responsible for the maintenance fees. Whoever is the executor of your estate would have the responsibility for disposing of the trust assets, including the timeshares. The executor would likely list them for sale and any cash proceeds would go to the trust to be disposed per its terms.

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
As 2disneydads correctly notes, any beneficiary could reject the bequest. Until title is transferred, the trust would continue to be the legal owner and responsible for the maintenance fees. Whoever is the executor of your estate would have the responsibility for disposing of the trust assets, including the timeshares. The executor would likely list them for sale and any cash proceeds would go to the trust to be disposed per its terms.
Thanks, I understand that would be the process if they were just included in the trust. However, I am looking for a solution where the only obligation of the Trustee would be to mail off the titles to MCVI or ?

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
Depending on your age and weeks, I’d volunteer to be your beneficiary. :banana:

It’s kinda like the lottery.
Well so far that's the best option. ( 67 and 71 yrs old and platinum and gold NCV).

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well so far that's the best option. ( 67 and 71 yrs old and platinum and gold NCV).

With those weeks and our age difference, I will be your beneficiary if you can’t find anyone else. Though I think you’ve still got at least 25 years left of vacations.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think that MVC has some residual value- unlike some other TSs, so the executor should be able to list these with a broker and make (at least) enough to cover the trouble. Now, if they were worthless like most TSs, simply default on them, and offer them back to their respective resorts or systems. if (when) the estate is foreclosed on, who cares? It has no need of credit. This too will pass.

Jim

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I understand that would be the process if they were just included in the trust. However, I am looking for a solution where the only obligation of the Trustee would be to mail off the titles to MCVI or ?
MVCI can reject the titles mailed to them. You can't force property onto someone. The idea is a non starter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
These weeks would at least bring $10,000 after all fees (8K for plat and 4K for Gold) and most probably MVCI will take these in ROFR as they are doing now. Check ROFR.NET for more info.

If Steven has any issues taking the weeks, I would love to volunteer as the beneficiary on the trust. LOL

As others have stated, if these were undesirable weeks like silver desert weeks, yes I would try to get rid of but these are really valuable weeks.

chris5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I think people are confusing things a bit if these timeshares were dropped into a Living Trust, which would have ownership of the timeshares and be responsibile for maintenance fees. The Living Trust, which would likely become an Irrevocable Trust after the grantors were no longer around, would have a Trustee responsible for the mainenance fees and actually the timeshares would be owned by the Trustees as fiduciaries of the Trust. My wife and I have a Revocable Living Trust, which will morph into an Irrevocable Trust, when one or both of us are no longer around. Real estate in the trust, like other property or assets funding the Trust, is handled by the Trustees, my wife and I initially for our RLT, and then if were not around, successor Trustees.

If you want timeshares to be handled by your "estate," you should set this forth in your Will and leave them out of any Trust. And your Wills could name an appropriate beneficiary for the timeshares, but as others have said the beneficiary could disclaim or renounce the transfer and then the Executor of your estate would be stuck with handling the timeshare.

My wife and I are grappling with this situation ourselves, with our children not firmly committed to wanting our timeshares. One solution is to place the timeshares in the Living Trust, and the Trust would have to pay maintenance fees -- with a decent level of liquid assets in the Trust -- the payment of maintenance fees shouldn't be a real burden for the Trust and the Trustee could be given instructions to administer the timeshare for benefits of the children. This arrangement can go on indefinitely, but you'd have to have a willing Trustee to do this work, which would be the same work you're currently doing for yourself! The Trustee could also, if no one is using the timeshares, sell or gift it
away.

If your children don't want anything to do with these timeshares, another solution is to have a Transfer on Death Deed for the timeshares. This Deed would transfer the timeshares upon your death to specific people, like Steven or me (LOL), and bypass probate or estate issues -- many states permit this type of transfer for real estate, stocks or bonds, including, perhaps California, where these timeshares are located. Of course, the beneficary/grantee of this Deed might also be able to renounce or disclaim ownership.

I think the best solution would be to handle these timeshares while one is still living and try to have Marriott re-purchase them or sell them on the open market. In our case, we have transferred or funded alot of stuff in our RLT, but our timeshares are not one of the items we have placed in the Trust.

Last edited:

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
You have people lining up for NCV weeks (both Plat & Gold have some great weeks - I wouldn't mind being -- it's already now 4th -- in line lol). More seriously, I know you don't want to leave the hassle of selling for your estate/kids, but they can make enough money for a relatively small headache. You could leave selling instructions to your executor perhaps? Maybe info about TUG would be helpful for your executor; if someone posted about selling those weeks for an estate, I'm sure they'd get a lot of good advice here in no time at all.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If the ability to just mail the title to MVCI existed for the trust, it would also exist for individuals that own timeshare weeks. Unfortunately, once in the trust, the trust has to manage them until they can be disposed of, without just signing the title over to Marriott. That said, Marriott might be willing to be the beneficiary of these weeks. If not, the trustee could easily find a buyer and give the beneficiaries some cash instead of just giving Marriott free weeks that they can sell for a lot more cash.

Don't let Marriott just get these valuable weeks for free!