• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Familiar Orange Lake story

ETIII

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I'm brand new to this and am trying to learn after what I think was a mistake 2 days ago.

The Wife and I just purchased an Orange lake land trust of 50k points for 11.5k. The Resort Access says Villages Resort in TX! After reading on this site for the last couple hours I'm more than likely going to rescind this purchase.

Also the paperwork says the minimum number of points for a reservation is 45k. So if I find an off week for 20k and all I have is 30k I can't make the res? I need to rescind if only to learn more about this whole process. Bottom line is we are going to be traveling alot to vegas and orlando for family so I'd like to come up with some plan.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Welcome to Tug. You're in the right place.

Rescind immediately. Save yourself a LOT of aggravation. You can always do your research and buy again, if you feel the deal is worth it. But make sure what you're getting is what you think it is, and will work for your needs. Resale is usually always going to give you the same perks for a lot less money. Do your research, and then buy smart.

Definitely rescind. Do it today, while you still have time.

Dave

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Duplicate post

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
It is very easy to find Orange Lake resale for small fraction of what you would have paid. When you are looking at buying resale here on TUG, eBay, Sumday Vacations, etc. make sure it is a week in RCI points and you get the highest point week Orange Lake has. I don't know about Orange Lake but at the resorts we own at all of the same size units pay the same maintenance fees regardless of whether they are a high, medium or low point week. So you want to have a high point week or at least a medium point week to get the most value for your maintenance fee dollars. We have 4 weeks at two different resorts all in RCI points and I highly recommend having a points account with RCI and not a weeks account. There is so much more inventory available with a points account than there is with a weeks account.

ETIII

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
It is very easy to find Orange Lake resale for small fraction of what you would have paid. When you are looking at buying resale here on TUG, eBay, Sumday Vacations, etc. make sure it is a week in RCI points and you get the highest point week Orange Lake has. I don't know about Orange Lake but at the resorts we own at all of the same size units pay the same maintenance fees regardless of whether they are a high, medium or low point week. So you want to have a high point week or at least a medium point week to get the most value for your maintenance fee dollars. We have 4 weeks at two different resorts all in RCI points and I highly recommend having a points account with RCI and not a weeks account. There is so much more inventory available with a points account than there is with a weeks account.

Thankyou so much, I'm so glad I found this site. I just printed out the rescind letter. Orlando works well for us having kids there but we also need to have flexibility to go to the west coast too. I feel like a dunce because I travel for work all the time but this approach is new to me. I'm a lifetime platinum elete with marriott and Holiday Inn., but I guess that dosent do much for you. I'm just not clear on what membership does for you as well as the points. If I buy a resale that shows floating and the season is red at 6900.00 with MF 1170.00 how do I know if thats a good deal or exactly what I'm getting?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Thankyou so much, I'm so glad I found this site. I just printed out the rescind letter. Orlando works well for us having kids there but we also need to have flexibility to go to the west coast too. I feel like a dunce because I travel for work all the time but this approach is new to me. I'm a lifetime platinum elete with marriott and Holiday Inn., but I guess that dosent do much for you. I'm just not clear on what membership does for you as well as the points. If I buy a resale that shows floating and the season is red at 6900.00 with MF 1170.00 how do I know if thats a good deal or exactly what I'm getting?

Just to give you something to compare, take a look at Grandview Las Vegas listings. There are 122,000 and 98,000 annual point weeks in two bedroom units with 2019 maintenance fees of $835. There are 61,000 and 49,000 annual point one bedroom weeks with 2019 maintenance fees of $417.50. If you are set on being able to stay at Orange Lake you might want to own there because they have a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 rule. Meaning if you don't own there you can only stay there once every 3 or 4 years. However there are so many great resorts in Orlando you can stay at that I would go with whatever gets me the most points for the least maintenance fees. We live three hours away from Orlando, go there about every other month and are in Orlando right now. My sister and BIL own at Orange Lake so I have stayed there. We've stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Reunion, Star Island, Vacation Village at Parkway, Silver Lake, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village in a savanna view unit. There isn't a resort on that list we wouldn't go back to. All of them booked with our points from Grandview Las Vegas.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then of course, there's the option of just renting. There are many rentals to be found in Orlando for less than what the owners are paying in MFs. If you can plan your trip fewer than 45 days ahead, you can check out TUg's Last Minute Rental board where owners are posting weeks for rent for $800/week or less. You can also advertise that you wish to rent a week there and maybe an owner with points can book something for you.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
50,000 HICV points is not enough to get you a 1 BR in Orlando for a week unless you happen to snag a rare last minute price reduced week. In Las Vegas it cost at least 90,000 points. Unless you want a shorter stay, 50,000 points are not worth much.
Unfortunately you cannot buy an HICV unit on the resale market that will stay in the points system unless the underlying resort is in Myrtle Beach, Lake Geneva or Tennessee. They are sometimes available on eBay.
Orange Lake is an easy trade through RCI. If you want to buy a resale there they are plentiful and cheap. If you buy another resale unit and there is a trading restriction for Orange Lake such as 1 in 4, you can get many other fine Orlando resorts as an easy trade.
Good luck.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, Welcome to TUG. Where Knowledge is Power, by Bacon. Plus, the advice given is Free; from real timeshare owners.
This is always my # 1 question.. How many points will I need to book a Prime week, Off Season Week and a low week.
Question # 2....How many weeks can I book with 50,000 points for a two (2) bedroom villas?

Good luck. Please Rescind ASAP.

ETIII

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Thank you to all for your valuable time!! I have sent the rescind letter and continued reading and trying to understand this kind of complex way of vacationing. Thanks again.