• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Way to Avoid Salespeople

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There was someplace we stayed a few years back. Dh signed up for a presentation, for the day after we left.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Never ever go to a Diamond update...nothing but lies. Not once did they discuss the proposed reason for us to attend.
Last year we actually signed up for a Diamond update at Polo Towers in Vegas because I actually wanted to see the rooms there and my wife alway wants to get vouchers to do more stuff. We don't own any Diamond. I know its old but I read somewhere that the rooms were actually large and some nicely fixed up. Wanted to compare to our Jockey Club ownership (Saphire Resorts) which has a fabulous view of the Bellagio fountain and Eiffel Tower across the street. Well, Diamond would not show us a room! Sales lady claimed we'd be disappointed compared to Wyndhams we are used to. I think she wanted to save herself some time since she knew she was not making a sale. We got out fairly fast along with gift vouchers that got us deep discount on combined Ka, Blueman Group and the Lynx high roller with alcohol.

Bob

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or to quote Nancy Reagan, Just say, NO!

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I'd serioiusly be worried that someone would steal it!

I guess one can print a few of these on their printer. Would be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of our first trades was to massanutten. The call promised it was just a breakfast. They sat us with a single gentleman. I caught on he was in sales but my husband was oblivious. He agreed to go for a ride to see the resort and my husband kept asking polite questions. When it was apparent we weren’t buying, the guy made a three point turn on a road with a sheer drop off without slowing down.
We quickly learned to not do these salepitches again.

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Just checked into a Wyndham for the weekend and they’ve already started about “coming to breakfast.” I’m sure they will call or come knocking before it’s over. How do we avoid these people? If we say “no” do they have to honor this? I’ve found most don’t take “no” for an answer.

They will typically try to book you into a tour three ways. When you check-in, by a phone call to your condo, and finally with a sales rep coming to your condo. The last one is what’s known as a unit tour. Instead of you being brought to the sales center and places in front of the rep, in unit tours their visit to your unit counts against them as a tour, whether you agree or not. Obviously they’re going to be persistent as they may have to wait a few hours before getting another tour.

The best way to avoid any tour is to tell them you’re going through a bankruptcy. Their consumer finance department does not allow the sales teams to sell to a customer who has declared bankruptcy. They will even cancel the sale if the sales center does write a deal. I’ve seen it happen plenty of times.

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)
and finally with a sales rep coming to your condo. The last one is what’s known as a unit tour. Instead of you being brought to the sales center and places in front of the rep, in unit tours their visit to your unit counts against them as a tour, whether you agree or not. Obviously they’re going to be persistent as they may have to wait a few hours before getting another tour.

Last time I was at Clearwater at check in they tried to offer me an "in room owners update" which I firmly declined. Are you telling me on my next trip down someone may actually come to door unannounced and try to waste my time? If that is the case I'll make sure that person has an exceptionally bad day...

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Last time I was at Clearwater at check in they tried to offer me an "in room owners update" which I firmly declined. Are you telling me on my next trip down someone may actually come to door unannounced and try to waste my time? If that is the case I'll make sure that person has an exceptionally bad day...

It depends on the resort, but yes many do have unit tours where they knock in the door unannounced. Their goal is to hook you to come to the sales floor and they typically do that with some type of alleged urgency regarding your account.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It depends on the resort, but yes many do have unit tours where they knock in the door unannounced. Their goal is to hook you to come to the sales floor and they typically do that with some type of alleged urgency regarding your account.
This would end very badly, especially if my teens were in the room. And I mean very badly.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

We let them into our room at Avenue Plaza in New Orleans -- front desk was a madhouse and they said they had maps and coupons for us. We thought they were trying to free up the desk. Took us a while to figure out we were in the middle of a stealth timeshare presentation, but when we did I held the door open, ordered her out of the room, and hollered down the hall at her until she was able to escape into the elevator.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
erm..poll is at the top?

upload_2019-10-23_17-56-26.png

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last time I went to a worldmark they didn't even ask. I was geared up. So I guess I'm on the list. Good. The parking pass man was great. Went to westgate, told the parking pass guy, been there, done that, never again, ever. Gave him the "mom" look. Whenever we go to check in I have to tell my husband to either go out to the car or don't talk to strangers. I found that the "mom" look isn't as effective if he is nice and smiling. He is a sweetheart.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Just tell them that the person you are traveling with is not your spouse ;)

This works most, but not all the time. They were apparently desperate to fill spots the last time we were at Bonnet, so I went by myself to one as it was raining anyway that day. The one-on-one part of the presentation lasted 5 minutes as they saw I was an owner for about 4 years but only owned resale points.

I have found that ignoring them at a presentation frustrates them beyond belief and they can't wait to get you out of there with gift in hand.

I always attend the presentation if the weather is bad and I have a little time to kill as I figure I might as well earn a dinner. I politely listen shake my head in agreement but stay silent - no small talk , not anything. I exchange a few glances with my very annoyed husband who is angry at me for dragging him there as he shakes his head no.

I found that lack of communication works best

This is excellent advice, I've basically done the same thing myself. Silence & boredom are kryptonite to a timeshare salesman.

If they ask if I have any questions about my ownership, I'll ask if there are any decent Thai restaurants in the area.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Last time I went to a worldmark they didn't even ask. I was geared up. So I guess I'm on the list. Good. The parking pass man was great. Went to westgate, told the parking pass guy, been there, done that, never again, ever. Gave him the "mom" look. Whenever we go to check in I have to tell my husband to either go out to the car or don't talk to strangers. I found that the "mom" look isn't as effective if he is nice and smiling. He is a sweetheart.

I need to remember this! Got snookered into the “update” at Peacock Suites in August because DH joined in the previously noncommittal conversation I was having with the “concierge” while waiting for our room to be ready. (Nope, didn’t convert our Shell to Wyndham, just annoyed the salesperson when I told her what I’d read here on TUG and that we weren’t interested in converting. She said she reads TUG too and then asked why we were there!)

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well thats odd...not sure why tapatalk wouldnt show a poll...thats somewhat frustrating! maybe i need to update the tapatalk software on the forum.

till then you can try to access it using a regular browser on your phone to view the poll and vote!

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
access it using a regular browser on your phone to view the poll and vote!

Tnx, @TUGBrian - I have voted! (Chrome on MacOS)

For some reason I had to log in separately to the poll page to vote - that is why it was
only showing me a "read-only" copy previously. Duh.

@Richelle : if you still can't vote, I'll sell you my vote for $1 (kidding)

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We let them into our room at Avenue Plaza in New Orleans -- front desk was a madhouse and they said they had maps and coupons for us. We thought they were trying to free up the desk. Took us a while to figure out we were in the middle of a stealth timeshare presentation, but when we did I held the door open, ordered her out of the room, and hollered down the hall at her until she was able to escape into the elevator.
Same thing happened to us years ago at La Belle Maison! We were checking in and asked about restaurants. The front desk staff recommended a nearby restaurant, made a bit of a show about thinking they had a coupon for it and then said they would send someone up with the coupon. A couple of hours later, a man shows up with "coupons" (no coupon for recommended restaurant). He asked what we owned (not Wyndham at the time) and then went into a PIC song and dance. We escaped after we got to the sales area and realized this was not information but a sales presentation. We were younger and more foolish. Since then, we don't let anyone but requested maintenance people in our room. I personally think that this is a violation of privacy.