• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RedWeek Full Service Listings

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Just wanted to post this for new buyers and for people who are looking to sell their weeks.

I find RedWeek Full Service Listings deceptive. They don't tell their upfront closing costs and they add $300 to 500 to the cost of the deal. Sometimes it is enough to make it unworkable.
So I don't click on Redweek Full Service ads anymore.

They do have a better alert system than TUG. TUG sends you a blanket new listing alert while Redweek provides you with a link to the new listing.

Several eBay sellers are also in the same category. I find these tricks pretty stupid especially since they are dealing with resale buyers. Anybody who has spent enough time to read about resale is not going to fall for their hidden fees.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I’ve purchased and sold through Redweek Full Service and they are aligned w/ other brokers. I always ask a series of questions so I know the cost including any possible fees. I am from the camp, “Ask instead of assuming”.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I’ve purchased and sold through Redweek Full Service and they are aligned w/ other brokers. I always ask a series of questions so I know the cost including any possible fees. I am from the camp, “Ask instead of assuming”.

Agreed. Informed people can always find deals.

I think redweek's tactic of hiding closing fee, transfer fee, admin fee and disclosing only if you ask is not beginner friendly. Yes, some other brokers are also that way.

Luckily my first purchase was from a broker who quoted an all-in price in the ad. No hidden fees. I prefer such brokers when I have a choice.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Just wanted to post this for new buyers and for people who are looking to sell their weeks.

I find RedWeek Full Service Listings deceptive. They don't tell their upfront closing costs and they add $300 to 500 to the cost of the deal. Sometimes it is enough to make it unworkable.
So I don't click on Redweek Full Service ads anymore.

They do have a better alert system than TUG. TUG sends you a blanket new listing alert while Redweek provides you with a link to the new listing.

Several eBay sellers are also in the same category. I find these tricks pretty stupid especially since they are dealing with resale buyers. Anybody who has spent enough time to read about resale is not going to fall for their hidden fees.

We bought our Flamingo though Full Service. It was also our first purchase as well. Communication was very poor in the beginning, but the hidden fees were the worst part of the deal and I PM’d the owner on that. As a first purchase, I think it was a good choice. They led me through the process and I learned a bunch on what to look out for. If I were to purchase through them again, I would request to use my own transfer group, as 1st American was expensive and slow.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The one time I bought through Redweek it was $1 plus closing. I told Redweek I would not pay closing. The seller ended up paying the Redweek charges.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
I was a little surprised when I asked about an EOY at Point at Poipu that was also handled by Redweek full service listings. On top of the sales price, and only disclosed by email, is an additional $1000, a $50 estoppel fee, a transfer fee of $250, and an administrative fee of $99.

Last edited:

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I was a little surprised when I asked about an EOY at Point at Poipu that was also handled by redweek full service listings. On top of the sales price, and only disclosed by email, is an additional $1000, a $50 estoppel fee, a transfer fee of $250, and an administrative fee of $99.

yeah.. it's a bit shady.

I'm going to leave negative reviews for redweek on yelp and trust pilot.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
Even more unusual, to me, is that the broker didn't know the view category. When she told me the unit number, I was able to figure it out because of the map posted here on TUG. That's one of the FIRST things I want to know when I'm purchasing.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Often the weeks are incorrectly categorized on supposedly "Redweek verified listings". I have been disappointed with too many ski resort listings that are listed as high season but are in mud season.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even more unusual, to me, is that the broker didn't know the view category. When she told me the unit number, I was able to figure it out because of the map posted here on TUG. That's one of the FIRST things I want to know when I'm purchasing.

Many brokers rarely know the number of bathrooms or the bed configuration, or any anything remotely meaningful about the property. If they are an actual licensed broker why are they spending time selling resale timeshares anyway?

What is Redweek full service doing to earn their fees? Every time I tried to buy through full service the answer was "let me ask the owner". I started using redweek rental verification for the extra $14.99 on shorter term rentals because they do the contract and payment and offer the guarantee to the renter but somebody has to convince me on the full service resale which seems ridiculous.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of Redweek in most cases- as I do feel they provide a good classified venue for rentals.. However, I am at a point where I make EVERY effort to avoid the "full service" ads... I'm not sure which brokers they are using for this service, but I've found most of those agents to simply be incompetent with the exception of a "Paula"..... I understand that a large number of timeshare owners don't really understand what they own, so I accept there will be some confusion and errors with the advertised information (even though they are supposed to be pre-verified). However, the long delays- miscommunication- and apparent failure of Redweek's representatives to even simply read and comprehend an email is extremely sad.. If you are a timeshare owner and considering paying the premium to "upgrade" to this service, I would have to recommend against it.......

mla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a little surprised when I asked about an EOY at Point at Poipu that was also handled by Redweek full service listings. On top of the sales price, and only disclosed by email, is an additional $1000, a $50 estoppel fee, a transfer fee of $250, and an administrative fee of $99.

Hey, there. So what would we like to see disclosed on the posting? All potential fees? The challenge we have is that a lot of DIY postings don't include the transfer fees and such as part of the listed price. So if we do it on the full-service postings, we put those owners at a disadvantage.

Can you give me an example of a RedWeek posting (DIY or a broker) that you think does it the right way?

@cali-gal, what was the additional 1k for?

Thanks,

Maurice

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Hey, there. So what would we like to see disclosed on the posting? All potential fees? The challenge we have is that a lot of DIY postings don't include the transfer fees and such as part of the listed price. So if we do it on the full-service postings, we put those owners at a disadvantage.

Let me rephrase: your justification for hiding your fees is that there are some DIY sellers who don't disclose all those fees. So you have decided to match the behavior of the worst sellers. In other words, a Redweek full service listing is "guaranteed hidden fees" listing.

I'm sure some DIY sellers don't disclose all the costs involved because they are not aware of all the costs involved. So it's very interesting to see that Redweek knows the fees involved but intentionally hides them.

I also like how creative you guys are with naming the fees. There is an administration fee along with a closing fee. What is the difference?

I think I have a simpler explanation for why the fees are hidden: these fees are not necessary. In most scenarios, a buyer can use LT Transfers and get the transfer done quicker and cheaper.

Note to sellers: do yourself a favor and don't sign up for a "guaranteed hidden fee" listing and turn off potential buyers.

Note to Buyers: ask the seller to pay Redweek's hidden fees. Many of those fees are unnecessary so seller should pay them since they chose to list with Redweek full service.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I also wanted to make others aware of a long thread on this issue. I haven't read all the posts but this is the first post with a disappointing experience.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...re-sellers-about-redweek-full-service.270077/

I don't know if this is the right place to post my frustration. But, here goes. I've now twice attempted to purchase timeshares via redweek. On both transactions which were "full service" transactions.

Let this be a warning to sellers about Redweek's Full Service service. Unless you really just do not want to sell your timeshare, listing on Tugs yourself maybe a much better way to go.

mla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase: your justification for hiding your fees is that there are some DIY sellers who don't disclose all those fees. So you have decided to match the behavior of the worst sellers. In other words, a Redweek full service listing is "guaranteed hidden fees" listing.

I'm asking for an example of how you like the fees disclosed. I do want to make the full-service postings competitive with DIY, obviously. Maybe we can figure out way to get the fees into the DIY postings (lead the owner through questions about who they intend to use for closing, etc.) When I'm shopping for a house, I expect there will be additional closing fees.

We do use licensed closing companies. I believe that's why they are higher than some other options. Although I believe we're ok using anyone that both parties are ok with.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
For every resort that Redweek has an active full-service (FS) listing, I'd like to see all the mandatory fees on all listings (DIY as well as FS): recording fees, estoppel fees, resort transfer fees, etc. I don't expect Redweek to have that info for all resorts, but if you have a full-service listing for a resort, you should have that info in a database (I hope).

Any other fee imposed by Redweek such as "administrative fee" should be disclosed up front in each FS listing.

IME, what makes Redweek's prices uncompetitive is not the fact that DIY listings don't include fees but Redweek's fees are extremely high. Note: I believe Redweek's fees are lower than Sell My Timeshare Now/Timeshare Broker Services currently.

Let us know what action Redweek decides to take, if any. If no action is taken, TUGgers can continue to assume that Redweek full service listings are nothing but guaranteed hidden fees listings similar to Sell My Timeshare Now.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
When I see a Redweek Full Service listing for sale, I don't even bother inquiring because I know closing will be about $1,000, when I can get the same thing for $200 by using other closing companies. Same thing as SMTN.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased one on Redweek Full Service and made it very clear that the seller would pay all closing, transfer and any Redweek fees.

Everything went through with my taking that stance right from the beginning and refusing to budge. You have nothing to lose as they either take it or wait for another buyer.

SMTN listings I don't even try.

mla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to use LT transfers more. They have such an excellent reputation here and I know they're less expensive. People freak me out though about the lack of licensing and the idea that it may put us at risk.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I would love to use LT transfers more. They have such an excellent reputation here and I know they're less expensive. People freak me out though about the lack of licensing and the idea that it may put us at risk.
I have used them at least 5x this year. They process ppwk and are excellent. I wouldn’t worry.

mla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used them at least 5x this year. They process ppwk and are excellent. I wouldn’t worry.

Do we know of any *brokers* that use them? That's what I get the pushback on... that it puts the brokers at risk. We make exactly $0 on the closing costs, so I would be more than happy to decrease those, all else being equal.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Do we know of any *brokers* that use them? That's what I get the pushback on... that it puts the brokers at risk. We make exactly $0 on the closing costs, so I would be more than happy to decrease those, all else being equal.
No. Most brokers I have worked w/ are using in-house or sometimes the larger entities such as First American.

mla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Inspection of DIY resale postings at one of our resorts:

1. "Timeshare's closing, transfer and escrow will be handled by a licensed, insured and fully underwritten title agency"

2. No mention of closing costs

3. "Buyer to pay closing costs, resort transfer fee, and administrative fee."

4. No mention

5. "Buyer to pay closing costs, resort transfer fee, and administrative fee."

6. No mention

7. No mention

8. No mention

9. No mention

10. No mention

So, why the focus on full-service resales? Do you try to skip over most of the DIY too or is there some difference? It seems like the vast majority of DIY postings don't provide any details on closing costs.
Not that I'm advocating for that... just that if you expect all additional fees to be listed, we need to improve the majority of our postings, no?

Do you skim through them looking for people who do provide those details?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
DIY postings which do not mention closing are usually open to whatever closing company I suggest as a buyer. In that case, I suggest LT Transfers or a similar company and it will cost me $200. While Redweek Full Service quotes about $1,000.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
While Redweek Full Service quotes about $1,000.

Which is just one reason why I refused to be strong armed by Redweek Full Service listings.

We all know this is a supply and demand market and there are far more sellers than buyers. They should be happy that someone, anyone, wants to buy their timeshare. If I'm willing to buy your timeshare, I'll buy it on my terms not yours. Redweek needs to learn this. It's no problem if they don't because, I'll simply move on to the next seller. Should there not be one at the moment, I'll wait. There's little doubt that one will come along soon.

Redweek, SMTN and all the others need to learn one simple fact. This is a buyers market, not a sellers market.