• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scheduled dates and times for Trick or Treating???

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I noticed a couple FB posts that asked, what time is trick or treating in such an such a town?

Then I noticed a post from Lincoln NH Police Department that said due to rain, we are rescheduling the trick or treating times to Friday from 5pm to 8pm. But, Woodstock (next town over) is still Thursday from 5pm to 8pm.

Is this normal in other parts of the country?
Scheduling times and also changing the day due to weather.

Bizarre to me.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
It is a sign of the times we live in.
And not a good one at that.
Halloween used to be fun, then someone had to start planning everything.
Sigh.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in New Jersey. A couple of towns are encouraging trick-or-treating tonight bc it's going to rain tomorrow. One town is telling people to trick-or-treat on November 2, when the weather is supposed to be good and it's also a Saturday so kids don't have to stay out late on a school night.

We live on a big trick-or-treating street and I have two gigantic bags of chocolate plus a bunch of snack bags of potato chips, so I hope we get some kids!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We were supposed to be gone again on Halloween. Our schedule changed due to my back issues, so yesterday before the plumber starts on a project in our basement we rummaged around to find my super ball trove. We learned a couple years ago that "super balls" are apparently called "Bouncey Balls" by today's children. I bought 500 balls on eBay several years ago, and just opened the second bag of 250. Kids exclaim "I got a Bouncey Ball!", so they seem to be a hit. Saves me from eating all the candy and then having to replace the bags before the holiday. I counted 100 balls into a bowl so I can keep track of how many kids we get -- it has been consistently +/- 80 kids who brave our long front steps since our first Halloween here in 2011. Being in Los Angeles I don't recall weather ever being an issue, although I am aware from time to time they talk about moving Halloween to a Saturday celebration.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I've lived in college towns my entire adult life. In our previous town, every year they would publicize the date and time of trick or treating, and it was frequently not on Halloween itself, because nobody wanted to deal with kids trick or treating in the dark on the Friday or Saturday evening of a home football weekend.

Where we live now has never rescheduled trick or treating in the 10 years we've lived here. It's on October 31st, whenever kids show up until you turn off your porch light. I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't consciously realize until this year the reason why - the weekend closest to Halloween is always a traditionally neutral site football game, so there is literally never a chance of a home game occurring on or around Halloween.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
A friend of mine in PA said her town changed it to Friday. I never heard of such a thing. We went out in all weather when we were kids. I remember wearing winter coats, hats and gloves- having to cover up our costumes it was so cold.

I don't care one way or another. I don't do Halloween anyway. No kids have ever came to our home and won't come here according to our landlords.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't care one way or another. I don't do Halloween anyway. No kids have ever came to our home and won't come here according to our landlords.

Ah....but wait until next year at your new place. Being in a community I'm sure your door bell will be ringing!

Halloween is my favorite holiday. No stress about presents, making the perfect meal, etc..

This is our 16th year of hosting an open house. Always on Halloween night. I order sandwich platters and make two large pots of soup. Adults socialize, eventually most head out with the kids to trick or treat and then everyone is usually gone by 9. We usually have around 75 people in and out of the house. Scattered showers with wind gusts to 30 is the forecast. All well....either way, it will be nice to see people that sometimes I only see on Halloween.

I like the bouncy ball idea.....I usually give Play-Doh and Glow Necklaces, but of course always have candy around too. I would buy 300 flow necklaces and whatever is left over the kids take out to the back yard and throw into the trees. It is pretty cool at night to see 100s of them way up in the trees. But, then it is a year of picking them off the ground as they eventually make their way down with wind storms.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ah....but wait until next year at your new place. Being in a community I'm sure your door bell will be ringing!

Halloween is my favorite holiday. No stress about presents, making the perfect meal, etc..

This is our 16th year of hosting an open house. Always on Halloween night. I order sandwich platters and make two large pots of soup. Adults socialize, eventually most head out with the kids to trick or treat and then everyone is usually gone by 9. We usually have around 75 people in and out of the house. Scattered showers with wind gusts to 30 is the forecast. All well....either way, it will be nice to see people that sometimes I only see on Halloween.

I like the bouncy ball idea.....I usually give Play-Doh and Glow Necklaces, but of course always have candy around too. I would buy 300 flow necklaces and whatever is left over the kids take out to the back yard and throw into the trees. It is pretty cool at night to see 100s of them way up in the trees. But, then it is a year of picking them off the ground as they eventually make their way down with wind storms.

I guess we might have trick or treaters there. I'll find out eventually! The community does have an adult Halloween party I saw on Facebook. And some get together to go out on the MS Mt Washington's Masquerade party. I never liked Halloween. Even as a kid, I hated dressing up, though I liked trick or treating for the candy. Now I could care less. To me it is not a real holiday- just a pagan one. If it weren't for everyone talking about it I would forget it even exists.

That said, I know a lot of people (adults) who absolutely love it and go all out every year! To each his own. Enjoy your's!

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Halloween! The kids are so excited and happy, and we love to see the costumes. One year the doorbell rang pretty late, maybe 9:30 or 10, and I sent one of our grown kids to get the door. She came back and said it was four teenage boys dressed as the Beatles circa 1964, with moptop wigs and little choirboy suits. I leapt up like a gazelle, ran to the door, and yelled into the night, "Beatles, come back! I want to see your costumes!" And they came back! They looked great!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only reason this has come up here, for the first time, is because of suspected tornado warnings for tomorrow. So some neighborhoods (which actually block off their streets) have decided to move it to Friday. But it's not a city-wide thing. We'll see...I'll try to be prepared both nights, LOL!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The towns in our county set the days and times. It works well. There are several parades in the area during the week, so the schedule allows people to attend those and Trick or Treat on other nights. The hours are set, which people appreciate. Participants turn on porch lights. It does avoid kids showing up at all hours. And everyone is alert on the streets as far as traffic is concerned.
No one comes down the street as far as my house, so I no longer participate. It was fun in the past where we used to live. The houses on the main streets get 300 kids, which would give me pause. I might be a grinch and leave my lights off.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in Northeast Pennsylvania we are supposed to get torrential rains this afternoon. The downtown area businesses have been hosting a trick or treat for years. Because of the torrential rain they have rescheduled the event to Friday. Residential trick or treating is still at the discretion of the residents. The schoolwide parades are being held inside the elementary this year. I kinda get it. Who wants all that leftover candy that we are FORCED to eat if the halloweeners can’t come by? I never get Halloween traffic and learned many years ago that buying candy to be safe was not safe for my sweet tooth. Lights off!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw something on the news kind of making fun of places where there are laws about trick or treating. There were age limits, time limits, etc. My town still does it the old way. You trick or treat on Halloween until you're too tired. Since my dogs get upset by it, I leave treats out on a table by the door with a note telling them to help themselves. It's always worked out really well for me. Since power is shut off in other parts of my city, I am wondering if I will have more people driven in this time. I might get some nutrigrain bars or small chip bags in case I run out of the candy that I got from trick or treating at Disneyland last month.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Wow, i had never heard of a city setting "official hours" for trick or treating... I do remember parents wanting it fixed to a weekend when my son was young... but didn't expect that to gain much traction.. Certainly many adult parties are scheduled on the closest weekend.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
image.jpeg
They do Dia de los Muertos in our neck of the woods, so depending on how the calendar is we might get two or three celebrations. I think something went on last weekend nearby with face painting for the kids, and since Nov 2nd is the actual day I suspect there will be festivities again this Saturday. I was sorry we were just a bit too early to Old Town San Diego to see the altars set up earlier this month. We have a permanent altar nicho at the end of our hall, and I've learned to be careful following Mexican worker bees down toward the back of the house because they stop and cross themselves -- I about knocked the painter over one time because I didn't realize he'd pause at the altar.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
There were age limits, ...
That is one thing that has always puzzled me -- why do some people get upset if someone "too old" comes to the door trick-or-treating? I know in the past some TUG members have complained about it. To me, the more the merrier.

Maybe I'm just not at that "Get off my lawn" stage yet. :p

Kurt

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Adults in costumes get candy; kids get candy, regardless (hey, not everyone can afford--time OR money--costumes.) Trick or Treating, Halloween, Day of the Dead is for EVERYONE.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got tons of kids and ran out of candy and started in on our little bags of chips. Best costumes: four girls about 10 years old, dressed as cows, and a brother-sister Day of the Dead duo, with Dad as a singing cowboy and Mom as Frida Kahlo!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Normal hours here. I know Churches and some organizations will have Trunk or Treat events the weekend prior. We just do an hour or so and then go home. This year there isn’t school tomorrow so they can sleep in a little

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Our neighborhood has gentrified and there are only few trick-or-treaters.
Tonight, we've had four visits. Every time I handed out 4 pieces, I ate 2.

Nevertheless, there'll be a ton left over.
Maybe I could take a bagful to my doctor's office? --Not a good idea?--

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Several years ago, our door bell rang about 9:30, long after the last tricker treater was gone. I opened the door and there was a grown man (20-30) dressed in street clothes at the door. I said, "Can I help you?" and he looked annoyed and said, "You know, trick or treat," and showed me a wrinkled paper bag. I gave him a tiny box of raisins! :rolleyes:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Raisins for an grown man... like that.
We turn off our lights at 9 PM.