• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Delta Reserve Amex. Any experience using the companion pass?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Delta Reserve offers the following perk.

DELTA RESERVE ANNUAL COMPANION CERTIFICATE
Receive a Domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card.‡11Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details”

Has anyone had any experience or luck booking this perk?
Is it done online?
Is it very restrictive.
I would be using it for a first class ticket.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Delta Reserve offers the following perk.

DELTA RESERVE ANNUAL COMPANION CERTIFICATE
Receive a Domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card.‡11Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details”

Has anyone had any experience or luck booking this perk?
Is it done online?
Is it very restrictive.
I would be using it for a first class ticket.
Very easy to use for my Delta A/E Plat. Companion fare, book online using companion certificate, worked for every flight I wanted to use it for, around Thanksgiving Time, Certifcate can be found under your Delta Skymiles Account, you can also call Delta Skymiles Rep to help process certificate and ask any questions you might have, easy peasy, enjoy!!! Now with first class or extra comfort there would need to have 2 seats open for your desired flight, less availability than the main cabin seats I usually book, book early as you can would be my advice.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very easy to use for my Delta A/E Plat. Companion fare, book online using companion certificate, worked for every flight I wanted to use it for, around Thanksgiving Time, Certifcate can be found under your Delta Skymiles Account, you can also call Delta Skymiles Rep to help process certificate and ask any questions you might have, easy peasy, enjoy!!! Now with first class or extra comfort there would need to have 2 seats open for your desired flight, less availability than the main cabin seats I usually book, book early as you can would be my advice.
Thanks so much.
I was looking for access to Delta Lounge and Centurian lounge at JFK and this would off set the costs. I am a 331 day booker so as long as I can do it online I am good.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I don't have the Reserve card but have had Platinum for years. Have never had any issues booking the companion fare. Always do it online through my Delta account.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use the companion fare every year and never had an issue with availability. Lounge access is a nice perk. I typically upgrade with choice benefits to include two additional guest access to the lounge.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Thanks so much.
I was looking for access to Delta Lounge and Centurian lounge at JFK and this would off set the costs. I am a 331 day booker so as long as I can do it online I am good.
Here's a lesson I learned: While the big print states "domestic" the fine print states the companion certificate is limited to flights within the contiguous US. I was going to maximize value and get a flight to Hawaii, but then realized it was not eligible.

As an aside if you get the AMEX Platinum (not the same as the AMEX Delta Platinum), you still have access to both; and you can use the Centurion Lounge regardless of the airline. However, you don't get a companion certificate with the AMEX Platinum.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Delta Plat, not the Reserve. The Plat companion fare is limited to lower fare classes, not all coach fares are eligible. I sometimes have to be a little flexible on times to be able to use it but did this year for spring break to Orlando (a popular and relatively expensive set of flights.) Provided you can use it, it makes the Plat card a no-brainer.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not realize I had one until about a month ago until they sent the notice about the fee increase. I tried to book around Thanksgiving but had no luck. It will expire at the end of the year so will probably go to waste.

Part of it is we have very few flights in and out of spokane. They said there were no blackout dates but the fare class has to be available

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did not realize I had one until about a month ago until they sent the notice about the fee increase. I tried to book around Thanksgiving but had no luck. It will expire at the end of the year so will probably go to waste.

Part of it is we have very few flights in and out of spokane. They said there were no blackout dates but the fare class has to be available
Lots of delta flights from nyc. Jfk. Lga. The companion pass hits on your one year anniversary. I can plan accordingly.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Interesting information. I fly Delta almost exclusively (gave up on JetBlue) and have the Delta Skymiles Amex. Wondering if upgrading to the Delta Reserve or Platinum would be worth the expense. Can someone expand on its benefits? Thanks.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a Delta Plat, not the Reserve. The Plat companion fare is limited to lower fare classes, not all coach fares are eligible. I sometimes have to be a little flexible on times to be able to use it but did this year for spring break to Orlando (a popular and relatively expensive set of flights.) Provided you can use it, it makes the Plat card a no-brainer.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/delta-reserve-amex-credit-card-review/

[URL]https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-amex-cards-changing-benefits/
[/URL]

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/why-amex-platinum-might-be-best-card-delta-flyers/

there's quite a bit about it here

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I combine a Delta Amex Plat with the “regular” Amex Plat for SkyClub access, rather than get the Delta reserve. I may rethink that with some of these new changes.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use the companion fare every year and never had an issue with availability. Lounge access is a nice perk.

Starting next year access to Centurion Lounges will be included with the Delta Reserve card.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other neat feature of the "straight" Platinum is that you can get up to three additional cards for $175/year and each of those cardholders has full SkyClub/Centurion/PriorityPass access. So, for a total $725/year, all four of us (spouse and two kids) have lounge access whenever we travel. Even before any other perks are added, that's a good deal, and probably enough to get me to keep it rather than switching to Delta Reserve.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The other neat feature of the "straight" Platinum is that you can get up to three additional cards for $175/year and each of those cardholders has full SkyClub/Centurion/PriorityPass access. So, for a total $725/year, all four of us (spouse and two kids) have lounge access whenever we travel. Even before any other perks are added, that's a good deal, and probably enough to get me to keep it rather than switching to Delta Reserve.

Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express
For $175 per card (See Rates & Fees) you can get additional Delta Reserve authorized user cards, which will allow your authorized user to also enjoy complimentary Sky Club access.Mar 26, 2019

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Delta Platinum card gets you a rate of $29 per visit per person for you and two additional guests at Sky Clubs. Delta Reserve allows access without an additional charge for individual that is flying on Delta.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
For $175 per card (See Rates & Fees) you can get additional Delta Reserve authorized user cards, which will allow your authorized user to also enjoy complimentary Sky Club access.Mar 26, 2019
Hmm. Thanks! I might still stick with my current mix for some of the secondary Amex Plat benefits (comped gold with Marriott and Hilton, Comped Executive Aisle with National), and after the airline/uber credits the marginal costs drops to $350.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Delta Platinum card gets you a rate of $29 per visit per person for you and two additional guests at Sky Clubs. Delta Reserve allows access without an additional charge for individual that is flying on Delta.
I believe the fee is going up on platinum to $39 guests?
There was a great post on the points guy that I read last month comparing all the Delta cards including the changes coming after January. I will try and find it.

For me, the new Centurian Lounge is being built in JKF Terminal 4 where Delta is so that’s a plus. The companion certificate will pretty much cover the cost. I already have priority pass thru Chase Sapphire Reserve.