• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No Trick-or-Treaters. . . Again

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For at least 5 years, we have had exactly ZERO goblins come to the door. It isn't that we live in an adult neighborhood- we just got new neighbors with 4 boys under about 9, and NOBODY! I guess people take their kids to organized 'trunk-or-treat' gatherings in well lighted parking lots or other places- private parties and the like.

Back 'in the day', I grew up as a 'free range' kid. I went out before dark and stayed out intil the last porch light was dark. This must have affected me deeply: I rang a bell and an old woman answered and said she had no candy, but to wait. She brought a can of Chili-con-Carne. I've felt awful ever since. She didn't know me, but I delivered her newspaper, so I didn't charge her for close to a year.

Anybody want some Skittles?

Jim

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
For at least 5 years, we have had exactly ZERO goblins come to the door. It isn't that we live in an adult neighborhood- we just got new neighbors with 4 boys under about 9, and NOBODY! I guess people take their kids to organized 'trunk-or-treat' gatherings in well lighted parking lots or other places- private parties and the like.

Back 'in the day', I grew up as a 'free range' kid. I went out before dark and stayed out intil the last porch light was dark. This must have affected me deeply: I rang a bell and an old woman answered and said she had no candy, but to wait. She brought a can of Chili-con-Carne. I've felt awful ever since. She didn't know me, but I delivered her newspaper, so I didn't charge her for close to a year.

Anybody want some Skittles?

Jim
It’s a sad state of affairs these days.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
In our town there is one main street for trick or treaters where the police close off the street to vehicles. There were hundreds of trick or treaters...us included. My sons got a pretty good haul this year, more than they can eat by themselves (I figure they can pay a little room and board with some of the items I like). After arriving back home we had maybe 5 trick or treaters come to our house so I used some of my boy's candy for them. Glad I didn't buy a bunch of candy to hand out.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We normally get over 100 children. Today we only got 12 due to rainy weather and the forecast that a severe thunderstorm and possible tornado could happen. No thunderstorm or tornado.

Our community facebook page had lots of parents saying they will take their children out Friday night. I am hoping residents will open their door. I will. Love the kids and their costumes. Always a treat for me.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
This year we gave away 2 bags. Last year, we barely gave away a qtr.
It helped that there isn’t school tomorrow.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My house is on a closed loop. One way in and the same way out. More than 30 homes along both sides of the street. It's safe, easy, close in, and has become something of a destination for Trick or Treaters from all over town. Thing is, I've been here long enough that the kids in the neighborhood are grown up, and have moved on. The only Halloween visitors in the neighborhood now are people from elsewhere, who drop their kids off, and tell them they'll wait for them to circle the Loop. I don't know these kids, and kind of feel like they're cheating the system.

I opted out of Halloween in this neighborhood several years ago, after a few run-ins with teenagers who didn't even live here. One rang my doorbell after 10:00 PM, after the porch light was out. I ignored the bell, and it rang several more times. I finally opened the door, and there stood a kid about 15 - no costume, no makeup, no pretense of a Halloween costume. He just stood there holding a bulging pillowcase full of candy. He said nothing, and neither did I. I just stared at him. Finally, I said, "Did you want something?" In a voice deeper than my own, he said, and I quote, "Uh. Yeah, dude. Like, um. Trick or Treat." I stared for another few seconds, and said, "No." And I shut the door.

I've boycotted Halloween night at home ever since. Now, it's dinner out, followed by a movie at the local theater. Tonight we saw "Harriett," the amazing bio-pic about Harriett Tubman. (Incredible film, and well worth seeing. Quite enjoyable, and the theater only had about ten people in it.) Nice way to spend an evening away from home. Now that we're home, my dogs aren't talking, so I don't know if anyone rang the bell while we were gone. The lights were out, and porch lights were turned off. So hopefully, they went elsewhere. Fine by me. :)

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW claims we had 10 kids come to the door. I say maybe six.
We have a ton of leftover candy (although I did have some myself).
Perhaps I'll take 'em to my doctor's office... or maybe not.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in a very small community there are less than twenty (20) homes. There are less than four (4) childrens under the age of six (6).. We had no treaters last night or in the past ten (10) years .

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have never had any EVER in our lives! Between the fact that we live/lived in rural, semi secluded areas and the changing times- zilch. Never had to buy candy- except for ourselves. Lol!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We had 60+. ( had enough candy - but not much left for us )
Which was a surprise , given the cold rainy weather & that we had no decorations set up
Our lights were on and door open ( we have a separate storm door that is full length glass).

many were young with parents out at the sidewalk BUT there were definitely groups of 3 or 4 that were “free range “ . The free range age seems to be grades 7-9 and they typically come closer to 8 pm + .

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
of our 60+

none came “dressed up “as a future prime minister .
LOL

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
My DH loves Halloween. He decorated our apartment window with pumpkin lights. Encourages his office staff to dress up.

There are exactly 6 kids in our apartment complex and they all came to our door. Husband was thrilled. He had bought 2 bags of candy. The optimist.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
None here for the 3rd year in a row. And we bought candy... again. Front door was decorated and lights were on. My daughter brought my 8 yr old granddaughter over and walked her thru the neighborhood. Only 4 or 5 houses were participating. I guess most of the neighbors gave up on buying candy.

Last year we went to the local "Trunk or Treat" event. It was a nice community event... lots of kids were in costume, but the lines were very long, so they didn't want to do that again this year.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm doing Trunk or Treat at my church tonight for the first time. I have candy for 90. No idea how many will show up. The church will have extra candy if necessary. If not, I will just close my trunk!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody showed up at my house either. I live on a small loop of homes... where I moved to several months ago. Did NOT have my light on. It is a late 1970s neighborhood of town houses.

I had not stocked any treats ... and did NOT see or hear anyone (kids or adults) prowling around. And my bedroom is on the front of this house. All was VERY quiet.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We had cold (wind chills in the teens) and a record snow fall. Three kids. I had expectations of nine kids, so down a bit. I bought a Nabisco snack size variety pack at Costco (@DaveNW) . Lots of Oreos and Chips ahoy for me! Pretty good deal only $.25/ea We live in a semi-rural area. All the houses have 2.5 or 5 acre lots. Not a great hall if you're a kid looking to score big.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I left my huge bowl out with a note to take 2 per person. About half the bowl is left. I guess I'll see if anyone comes by tonight since it sounds like a lot of other areas are trick or treating on all saint's day instead.

For those of you not knowing what to do with your extra candy - it's amazing how many adults will binge eat free junk candy. I will carry mine and literally pass it off to anyone and they readily take it. The credit union, dog grooming shop, grocery store, schools, even leave it out for the mailman, UPS driver, etc. People get very excited over it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
For those of you not knowing what to do with your extra candy - it's amazing how many adults will binge eat free junk candy. I will carry mine and literally pass it off to anyone and they readily take it. The credit union, dog grooming shop, grocery store, schools, even leave it out for the mailman, UPS driver, etc. People get very excited over it.

I work in a cube farm with about 300 others, including numerous conference and training rooms, and miscellaneous support staff for a busy hospital system. One large Break Room (vending machines, microwave ovens, coffee and tea makers, refrigerators), is where everyone gathers for lunches and breaks. It tends to get very crowded. Every year after Halloween, there are bowls and bags of leftover candy offered in the break room. People pick it over, but take it by the hand full. It's gone in no time. Same thing with donuts, leftover birthday cake, extra goodies from this or that celebration or potluck lunch. These folks know how to eat.

After I've sifted through the Halloween candy I bought to select my favorites, (knowing I wouldn't be home to give away any on Halloween night ;)), I'll take the rest of the candy to work in a few days, and see how quickly it all disappears. I'll give it an hour, maybe two. We'll see if I'm right.

Dave

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live on a huge trick-or-treating street and we usually get a ton of kids. Last year, though, almost none! This year I ordered two big bags of candy from Amazon, one with 85 peanut butter cups and Kit-Kats (our faves) and one with 120 Butterfingers, Three Musketeers, and Baby Ruths (not our thing really). Guess which one is delayed for a week?

The rain held off and we got a LOT of kids and gave away all our peanut butter cups and Kit-Kats, then broke out the lunch-size bags of potato chips and cheese popcorn, then finally got down to an ancient tube of glow necklaces and a bunch of granola bars. Lots of kids! A couple even chose granola bars.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had 70 which was down from over a hundred. We were under a severe thunderstorm warning and 3 days of predicted rain. We were lucky with a few hour window from the rain at the perfect time. I would say divine intervention but......you know......Halloween

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In California we generally got a lot of kids. We did notice over the years we were there the number dwindled. Since we moved to New Mexico, none. I'm not surprised as we live in a gated development and until recently no one in the development had kids of an age that would go trick or treating.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on a horseshoe shaped crescent in a fairly new suburban subdivision in Ontario. We got the usual 100 kids last night on a miserable evening, with high winds and a steady downpour. But I do have a beef. We have a parkette across the street from us with a long curbside to park, and we seem to be a desirable neighbourhood to trick or treat. I watched van after van pull up across the street and kids pile out to ply our crescent.....these were not neighbourhood kids but who knows where from. One van had commercial signage from a town about 15 miles distant. I'd say half of the kids at my door were not from around here. And whats up with teens knocking at the door long after the little ones have gone back inside with no costumes at all, but holding pillow cases. I had stuff left over so they got lucky, but surely they could make some effort to get in the spirit!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on a horseshoe shaped crescent in a fairly new suburban subdivision in Ontario. We got the usual 100 kids last night on a miserable evening, with high winds and a steady downpour. But I do have a beef. We have a parkette across the street from us with a long curbside to park, and we seem to be a desirable neighbourhood to trick or treat. I watched van after van pull up across the street and kids pile out to ply our crescent.....these were not neighbourhood kids but who knows where from. One van had commercial signage from a town about 15 miles distant. I'd say half of the kids at my door were not from around here. And whats up with teens knocking at the door long after the little ones have gone back inside with no costumes at all, but holding pillow cases. I had stuff left over so they got lucky, but surely they could make some effort to get in the spirit!
Love the word "parkette" :) I used to be one of those who got annoyed by lack-of-effort teens but I've kind of changed my tune on that now that I have a teen. She will put on SOME attempt at a costume (headband, drawn on cat face, etc) but I'm the first to admit, it's really lame. I, however, love to see the teens out and about as it's a rare chance for them to still be (somewhat ) innocent, carefree kids out having fun with their friends.