• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 ] Want to talk me out of Sheraton Desert Oasis?

Fatbaby52

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family has been heading down to Phoenix for Spring Training for 4-5 years now, and it's become a regular thing. Last year, we stayed at SDO and loved it; I've been looking for resales for a while now, and found two separate 2BR units for free (including closing).

Maintenance is somewhere around $1200 for the 2BR, and a 1BR rents for around $1k. My thinking is that I can hopefully rent out one side and have a nice place to stay every year for about $200.

I think that the $1k rental price is a floor- it costs $150+/night for a mediocre motel in Scottsdale during March, and the SDO is much nicer than that.

The risks I see are (1) not being able to book the weeks that we want, and (2) MF increasing.

I'm not too afraid of (1); I'm pretty good at getting things in my cart on Black Friday, so I don't imagine that booking at exactly 9PM a year and a day before is going to be too tough.

My questions are really:
1. Is there anything that I'm overlooking here?
2. For those of you who are owners, if you could go back in time and not buy your timeshare, would you?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
SDO is great but I use it for trading. I don’t see much downside for you, given your intended use and of course the reasonable acquisition price. WKV is much nicer, but also more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
No downside to owning. We own an EOY and it's a great trader. I don't know that it would be all that rentable, but maybe.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I don’t think you should assume that you may rent it every year. It is rentable but just be prepared if it does not.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
As someone who has semi-regularly rented an SDO week for prime March dates, I think your estimate of $1000 is quite high, especially for the smaller 1 bedroom.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I don’t think you should assume that you may rent it every year. It is rentable but just be prepared if it does not.

I agree. You should be able to rent it, but if not, are you OK with that.

I think if you are prepared to jump on the reservation window at 12 months out, you should be ok.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
You'll need to be there right as soon as the reservation window opens. I'm not sure on how well it would rent - I've usually seen rentals for slightly less than what you're posting - although not during the March season.

Regardless it is a great resort with decent MF's and lots of flexibility for how you can use it.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Did you consider WKV?

Fatbaby52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you consider WKV?

I did. We stayed there a couple years ago and it was very nice. I know that those also have the advantage of being a mandatory resort, but the resales seem to be more expensive. Also, I kind of hate the idea of being on the wrong end of the MF vs. points, so owning a non-platinum week would drive me crazy.

Finally, I think that there's a small chance that Marriott will eventually try to simplify/streamline things and the difference between mandatory and voluntary ownership in Vistana will be decreased.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The Rockies'spring training is around the 2nd to 3rd week of March, and that would be rentable.

Gordgeous

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
My family has been heading down to Phoenix for Spring Training for 4-5 years now, and it's become a regular thing. Last year, we stayed at SDO and loved it; I've been looking for resales for a while now, and found two separate 2BR units for free (including closing).

I have been keeping my eye on the SDO market for the last year or so, but have not seen any 2BR true platinums (weeks 50-52, 1-21) or the older "gold" (weeks 1-52) for free any time recently (or at any point I should say) which would be required to get you your desired weeks of use.
Out of curiosity where are you seeing them for free (including free closing) and what weeks/season are they deeded for?
Sounds like a bargain to me if it is either one of the two options above!

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I think buying a SDO 2 BR 1-52 is one of the lowest risk purchases. It is highly recommended on TUG, so if you don't like it, you can give it away pretty easily. And the transfer fees are not high unlike Hyatt or Hilton. So you would lose a couple of hundred on transfer fees and a year or two in MF. Buying a 1 BR SDO or low-season SDO is riskier.

Keep in mind there is always a risk it will not work out for you similar to all the people who are selling their weeks for free. It is given away for free also means that it is not the most desirable time share out there. The trade power algorithm may knock down SDO.

Just because you are buying a TS for personal use doesn't mean it's a great idea. Who knows what Marriott will do to the MFs. Your MFs could become more than the cost of renting on Airbnb since Marriott may look at TS owners as captive customers to be milked as much as they can. MFs usually go up more than inflation and when you compound the effect over a number of years, the MFs could be higher than the value you get. In many places, you can exchange into or buy a getaway for lower than the MF.

A lot can go right as well. If you decide to take the risk and work the system to your advantage, you could come out ahead. For example, I used a 1 BR deposit from a 2 BR SDO to exchange into a 4 BR beach front resort in Cabo for Thanksgiving. The resort is nicer than most Marriotts and Westins.

If you buy timeshares that are highly recommended on TUG, it will be easy to dispose them when you don't need them. If I was in your situation, I'd give 2 BR 1-52 SDO a try and see how you like it. I personally find the benefits worthwhile for the risk right now.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Since you will someday need to get rid of this. Worst case: what are the laws for anti-judicial, non-deficiency rulings for abandoned Timeshares in AZ? I have heard that owners are protected when the TS is in Florida, California, and South Carolina. The worst they can do is take back your timeshare and ding your credit for the MF but they cannot go after other assets.

Last edited:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
we love SDO . staying 10 weeks this year and stayed 8 last. it works for our needs so i don't think you can go wrong with free. if you don't rent the other side, you can always invite friends down and ask them to just cover the maintenance fees. that's what we do and we always have takers.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I have been keeping my eye on the SDO market for the last year or so, but have not seen any 2BR true platinums (weeks 50-52, 1-21) or the older "gold" (weeks 1-52) for free any time recently (or at any point I should say) which would be required to get you your desired weeks of use.
Out of curiosity where are you seeing them for free (including free closing) and what weeks/season are they deeded for?
You don’t see too many 2br annuals but EOY does come up. One just sold for $255 on EBay w/ free closing. 1 bdrms are normally for free. Can be a tad riskier however if you use for trading, still a very good deal.

Fatbaby52

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think buying a SDO 2 BR 1-52 is one of the lowest risk purchases. It is highly recommended on TUG, so if you don't like it, you can give it away pretty easily. And the transfer fees are not high unlike Hyatt or Hilton. So you would lose a couple of hundred on transfer fees and a year or two in MF. Buying a 1 BR SDO or low-season SDO is riskier.

Keep in mind there is always a risk it will not work out for you similar to all the people who are selling their weeks for free. It is given away for free also means that it is not the most desirable time share out there. The trade power algorithm may knock down SDO.

Just because you are buying a TS for personal use doesn't mean it's a great idea. Who knows what Marriott will do to the MFs. Your MFs could become more than the cost of renting on Airbnb since Marriott may look at TS owners as captive customers to be milked as much as they can. MFs usually go up more than inflation and when you compound the effect over a number of years, the MFs could be higher than the value you get. In many places, you can exchange into or buy a getaway for lower than the MF.

A lot can go right as well. If you decide to take the risk and work the system to your advantage, you could come out ahead. For example, I used a 1 BR deposit from a 2 BR SDO to exchange into a 4 BR beach front resort in Cabo for Thanksgiving. The resort is nicer than most Marriotts and Westins.

If you buy timeshares that are highly recommended on TUG, it will be easy to dispose them when you don't need them. If I was in your situation, I'd give 2 BR 1-52 SDO a try and see how you like it. I personally find the benefits worthwhile for the risk right now.

Thank you for the response. Sorry if this is a dumb follow up question, but you mention that it is highly recommended on TUG- is there a list someplace of the most recommended properties? I've seen the resort reviews (which seem decent for SDO) and I've seen it mentioned in the forums a bit.

Fatbaby52

TUG Member
Reaction score

I sent a message regarding a listing I believe on the boards here. It could have been eBay or one of the other sites as well. The unit I requested was sold already, but the woman said that she had another coming in next week, and possibly another 2BR today (haven't heard about it yet). It sounds like a wing of her company helps people get rid of timeshares. I confirmed that both would be floating weeks 1-52, and that all transaction fees would be covered by the sellers as well.

If you're interested, when I hear back about the second one I'll sent you a note or post in here.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I own a EOY 2- Bedroom at SDO and I truly love this place. I’m a judge fan of this resort

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Thank you for the response. Sorry if this is a dumb follow up question, but you mention that it is highly recommended on TUG- is there a list someplace of the most recommended properties? I've seen the resort reviews (which seem decent for SDO) and I've seen it mentioned in the forums a bit.

The info is there in bits and pieces. Search for terms like Sheraton desert oasis, II trader, SDO and you can read up. You don't even have to go that far. I think several people who commented in this thread are fans of SDO.

You could start a poll asking if SDO is a good place to own, I'm sure many will say yes.

Many people use it for trading. Even if you don't plan on trading, the fact that it is a good trader matters because that makes it easy to get rid of.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
In 2011, I bought (resale) 2 SDO 2BR GoldPlus --EOY even and EOY odd. Total costs, including closing, were $606 & $661. I bought them to trade, and so far have taken 29 vacations (including a few given to my children). When we unexpectedly moved to Phoenix in 2016, I used 2 weeks at SDO during the move and during house painting. I've also used a day pass to visit the resort & lounge by the pool. I think it was one of my best deals ever.

We've been to unexpected places (Cartagena & Madeira), plus hosted reunions with family & friends. We have traded for WKV (Westin Kierland Villas), which I prefer, but I didn't want to spend the money for a mandatory resort. I bought 2 so my kids wouldn't have to share & one could refuse ownership if wanted. I haven't tried to rent.

Now that my grandson is a freshman at ASU here in Phoenix, I'm thinking of trying for a March Spring Training week. Not sure how it works, but I'm sure I can learn. Too late for 2020, but 2021 is on the horizon.

Fatbaby52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're in the process of closing on an annual SDO that floats weeks 1-52 deeded week 27. We paid $3.25 plus the closing costs of $500. I guess we didn't really care about the $500 closing cost because in the end $500 isn't that much skin in the game. Hoping to use it as a trader for Hawaii or Cabo San Lucas(Grand Solmar in particular). If that doesn't work out I'd be perfectly fine staying at SDO. We did a walk through a couple of years ago and it seems like a very nice resort. Because of my job we are hoping to utilize the trades from early May to mid November so we're not looking for prime weeks. I hope things work out for you. Please keep posting on your progress and I'll do the same.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We're in the process of closing on an annual SDO that floats weeks 1-52 deeded week 27. We paid $3.25 plus the closing costs of $500. I guess we didn't really care about the $500 closing cost because in the end $500 isn't that much skin in the game. Hoping to use it as a trader for Hawaii or Cabo San Lucas(Grand Solmar in particular). If that doesn't work out I'd be perfectly fine staying at SDO. We did a walk through a couple of years ago and it seems like a very nice resort. Because of my job we are hoping to utilize the trades from early May to mid November so we're not looking for prime weeks. I hope things work out for you. Please keep posting on your progress and I'll do the same.

Do you think it would trade easily for Grand Solmar at Lands End?