• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room theft at timeshare- rental guest

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is how does it matter if you rented or are a owner? Who do you hold responsible besides the thief? Theft cannot be prevented .
I certainly am not implying anything, I live in the dells and know the property, it is also part motel, the theft does no surprise me.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly am not implying anything, I live in the dells and know the property, it is also part motel, the theft does no surprise me.
Is there a lot of theft off property that is connected to seasonal workers? Are you in the law enforcement surrounding area?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a lot of theft off property that is connected to seasonal workers? Are you in the law enforcement surrounding area?
This is not a nice place, but it has a nice little waterpark, and it’s location is at the end of a frontage road, not much security.
No I am not in law enforcement and I don’t really know why my two posts irked you so much. When the location of the theft happened I was not surprised.
My neighbor who is on township board says lots of human trafficking and drug trafficking in delis. They don’t publish the police calls anymore, but they were plentiful. Lots of brawls, lots of drinking, lots of small thefts in a tourist town.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it is not that safe a place as one would believe?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it is not that safe a place as one would believe?
Well, depends where you are. Have you seen the videos of the drunken brawls at mt Olympus? Never have heard of them at Kalahari, wilderness or chula Vista, and the only ones at Christmas mountain involved salesmen.
I think it is safe, but aren’t there certain bars that attract a rowdier crowd in every town. There are a few rowdy places in the Dells.
And the resort listed, it is one third a converted hotel and the rest hotel rooms, at the end of a dark road that runs under the expressway. If there is a group that is looking to walk in a hotel and see if there is anything left out, it is a good location.

There are six thousand foreign students, there has to be a few not as trustworthy.
In fact I was threatened by one at the grocery store deli. She was standing behind the counter talking to someone in the back and after a few minutes I called out hello. She kept glaring at me, then came around the counter and got in my face and told me not to call her low. I couldn’t figure it out until I realized she only heard half of hello, but she was very threatening, and she scared me. I heard some time back that some Russian workers attacked a manager at Wilderness.

Is it your opinion that a place is not safe if something is stolen? Then my school was not safe as my purse was stolen out of a drawer in a locked office. I bet there are a lot of thefts at timeshares, not made public.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tia

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I find a rental agreement is unnecessary. There can never be a contract that covers all issues or circumstances. Bottom line I feel there has to be no responsibility of a renter for a theft that takes place in a room I renting.

I used one once.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
I think he is hoping I can compensate him for his loss if the timeshare does not. He is asking if I have any insurance that would cover this as the "owner" of the timeshare.

How do you know the renter isn't BS'ing you?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
How do you know the renter isn't BS'ing you?
I don't but he is a repeat renter (also rented 2 weeks in 2018) and did not come after me again after I referred him back to the resort.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I don't but he is a repeat renter (also rented 2 weeks in 2018) and did not come after me again after I referred him back to the resort.

If the renter has a homeowners policy there might be a way to cover the loss. Anther way might be taking the resort to small claims court. These are for the renter to pursue.

I get that good renters are good for rental income but taking a hit on a renters loss isn't and doesn't mean there is a bit of loyalty to you from them regarding renting any unit again.

Bill

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2

Your not responsible if he got mugged..and your not responsible for lost/stolen items from a your rental IMO. Would the renter pay for 24/7 security at say 300 a day? No...unfortunate but not your problem. It is unreasonable IMO to ask for compensation from anyone, except from the resort.