• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TSA lost some stuff - any recourse?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I had purchased on my trip to Marco Island and Orlando, some luggage straps as I had purchased a new hardcase. Todays hardcases are not very strong like the old ones, and many are only held closed by the zipper (mine is). So, in reading various reviews and posts, and, from experience, I purchased a couple of semi expensive luggage straps for this trip. First time I used them was on the way home, and, they did not arrive at baggage claim. I inquired at baggage claim, the airline checked the departing airport, they checked the arriving airport, and, they checked the luggage compartment under the plane, not there. They said that TSA likely opened my bag (which they did), and, neglected to put the straps back on. This is almost certainly what happened.

But how to proceed? Surely they are responsible for this? Who or what number can I contact, and does anyone have any experience is approaching this?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
S

But how to proceed? Surely they are responsible for this? Who or what number can I contact, and does anyone have any experience is approaching this?
I wonder if your airline would cover this? They have policies for lost luggage, not sure about if only some parts of the luggage are lost.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From my out of country friend's experience with TSA breaking the TSA built in lock on the suitcase, there was no recourse trying to claim through the airline. She tried claiming through United, United said it was not responsible. She did not write to TSA.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I inquired at baggage claim, the airline checked the departing airport, they checked the arriving airport, and, they checked the luggage compartment under the plane, not there. They said that TSA likely opened my bag (which they did), and, neglected to put the straps back on. This is almost certainly what happened.

If TSA was in your bag, I think they are required to put a paper inside informing you that they had inspected it. There may be contact info on that paper. Otherwise, you might be just SOL. My dealings with TSA have all been one sided- They win, I lose.

Good Luck!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My TSA lock was snipped, no recourse. I feel bad for my friend because the TSA lock was built into the luggage, so she had to throw the whole bag away.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's just not right, be interested in any solution .

I laughed this summer while holding my arms up in the xray machine and the old TSA guy standing there said '' this is not funny'' in stiff tone. Well YES IT's VERY FUNNY at 530am. So ridiculous!!!!!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My TSA lock was snipped, no recourse. I feel bad for my friend because the TSA lock was built into the luggage, so she had to throw the whole bag away.
This is why I don't bother locking my luggage.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The TSA (well, to be fair, some agents) abuse their power. quite a few years ago, we were boarding a flight to Europe, the agent spotted some crochet needles & blunt scissors in my wife's carry-on. As they pawed through her stuff, she yelled STOP (I know she shouldn't have, but she did) and they shook us down and told Delta that we were NOT going to fly that day. Delta got us onto the earliest flight they could, but it cost us a night in a hotel, and delayed our vacation. Like I said upthread: Mess with TSA, and THEY WIN, YOU LOSE!

Jim

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When we were buying the second round of TSA approved locks from either Travelsmith or Magellans, the first set having been cut open and left hanging, we noticed that the new locks said they were replaceable at no charge if cut off by TSA. But we now lock the locks without locking the suitcases, and only lock the suitcases if we are getting on a train or leaving them in the hall for the cruise line to pick up.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My last flight TSA opened my bag in an awkward manner and proceeded to dump all my belongings on the ground. Pill bottles rolling for other folks to pick up. I was certainly not pleased. Their response was write any complaints to TSA.gov.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't lock my luggage....but always assumed a TSA lock was a lock that TSA had a key to open it with.....is this not the case?

I had internal damage done to contents of luggage once. My DD purchase and American Girl doll while we were away. These "can" be collectable items someday and she has all the boxes for every doll. I stuffed the box with items to return home. Instead of opening the box, the simply ripped it to see the contents. (I had a can of soup in there...I swear every time I bring home a left over can of soup, that luggage is getting checked. (makes sense though, due to shape and material). Anyway, I contacted TSA and they send all the claim forms for reimbursement of a new box. I never followed threw with it thought.

My thought....I really have nothing of real value in a suitcase when we travel, that all stays with me.

Steve: If you had the paper inside the luggage that stated they opened, you should be able to file a claim.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Well, lotsa luck on a claim with TSA.

I buy all of my luggage at Marshall's or Ross. They frequently have luggage straps as well, reasonably priced, so you may want to look there for your replacement. I try to buy higher end travel equipment at a low price so that I don't get too upset when either the airlines or TSA thrash it. It seems to be inevitable. Travel takes a toll on ones things.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
How about reimbursement from travel insurance or your credit card? Here's what Chase Sapphire says:

Benefit Overview
  • Provides reimbursement for costs you incur to repair or replace checked and/or carry-on baggage damaged or lost (including theft) that happens during a covered trip on a common carrier such as airline, bus, cruise ship or train
  • Covers trips when the common carrier fare for the transportation has been charged to an eligible Chase card or purchased with rewards earned on an eligible Chase card
  • Reimbursement is in excess of any travel insurance purchased or reimbursement from the occupancy provider or common carrier

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I typically put assorted electronic gizmos and a mess of charging wire in my suitcase.
I expect TSA to take a look, and usually find nice little notes inside.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recourse??? Write it off. Move on. It isn't worth the price of a couple of luggage straps.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recourse??? Write it off. Move on. It isn't worth the price of a couple of luggage straps.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any frequent flyer will tell you to forget it. Maybe you can make a damage claim if you purchased your ticket with a premium cc.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree it is time to move on. You can file a written claim form with TSA. TSA is required to leave a written note that your luggage was inspected by a TSA representative.
Also, you may want to check with your local airport lost and found department.
Lost and found items are keep here for x number of days at your local airport.
Move on and purchase some cheap luggage straps from Amazon, TJ Max, Ross , WalMart or Marshall’s. IMHO.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've had lost my two luggage last mo and they don't take any responsibility.
I'm confused. The airline lost two pieces of your luggage and they didn't take responsibility? Did you file a claim with them? I was compensated for late luggage (for the purchase of what I needed until my luggage was retrieved) and if the luggage had truly been lost they would have reimbursed me for it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The TSA office at your nearby airport has a drawer full of $20 bills which they use to reimburse folks whose stuff they take.
<kidding>

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If TSA was in your bag, I think they are required to put a paper inside informing you that they had inspected it. There may be contact info on that paper. Otherwise, you might be just SOL. My dealings with TSA have all been one sided- They win, I lose.

Good Luck!

They definitely entered the suitcase, it was locked and when I picked it up, it was unlocked. But they did not leave a paper. They always have before. Maybe a newbie.

I am going to fill out the TSA lost stuff form just for fun and see if I ever get anywhere, sounds unlikely! Wife bought the straps and they were not too cheap. Will give it the 'ol college try but won't lose any sleep over it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before you file a claim with your home owners insurance policy, what is your deductible?

Also, I hope you saved that piece of paper stating that a TSA person open your luggage for inspection. That is your documentation document that your luggage was open by TSA.

Wishing you must success in finding or replacing your luggage straps.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They definitely entered the suitcase, it was locked and when I picked it up, it was unlocked. But they did not leave a paper. They always have before. Maybe a newbie.
I doubt this. I don't think it was TSA that got into your suitcase. Anything else missing? File the report with TSA and with the airline. Then file a claim with your travel insurance. This is about more than the bag straps.