• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Popeyes really has the best chicken sandwich

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Police called to Edgewood Popeyes 3 times since Sunday, including employee fight caught on video :doh:

"With the re-release of their popular chicken sandwich, Popeyes has been a busy place."

"Unlike Monday night at another Popeyes in Oxon Hill, where a man was stabbed to death, Davis said none of the incidents in Edgewood were directly linked to the chicken sandwich."

https://www.wmar2news.com/news/regi...nday-including-employee-fight-caught-on-video

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Krispy Kreme jelly donuts and their cream fill donuts are the bomb. Also, there is nothing better than a hot glaze donut from Krispy Kreme in the morning with a cup of coffee. Excellent.

Reactions: jme

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
A bit off topic, but on a recent trip the wife an I were hungry for breakfast in an airport an all we could find was Popeye's. Their chicken breakfast biscuit was very good. Sadly, I later discovered that our local Popeye's does not offer breakfast...

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I was really disappointed in my last Krispy Kreme. It had been easily 10 years since we were close to one, so I looked forward to having one near the airport on Maui. I think they changed their fats just like McDonald's did for their fries when the trans fats were removed. Neither product is as good as it used to be.

So how spicy is Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich? I don't mind spicy, but I do mind HOT SPICY! I can't do Cajun or "buffalo". Only time I've ever complained to a flight attendant about food (usually I'd just not eat it) was a spicy chicken sandwich served in Business class -- it was lip burning beyond anything I'd ever had; one bite was it. I can't imagine why anyone thought that was suitable airline fare. ETA Popye's just opened near us -- what else is good?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I walked into Popeye's for lunch and thought it must be National Fried Chicken Day or something. Tuesdays are always busy with the 2 pc Special, and 6-8 people ahead of me. Today I was the 16th person in line. After 7-8 minutes with no movement of the line, I bailed for the drive-through. Between the time I walked out and pulled into the drive-through line, 3 cars beat me to it. Another 6 minutes and three more cars lined up on the street behind me. After another 4 minutes with no line movement, I decided to completely bail and come back later.

2 hours later, there were still cars lined-up four deep on the street, plus another four cars just to get to the Place Order sign. Inside there were only 9 people in line, so I gave it another try. 15 minutes later, I walked out with my order.

I have to say the chicken sandwich was one of the better ones I have had. I think it is the buttery bun that sets it apart. The sandwiches are premade and packed in a foil pouch. My chicken was neither crispy nor soggy. The regular chicken pieces were as crunchy as ever.

I like Wendy's Chicken Club sandwich, except for the bland bun. Now when I want a chicken sandwich, I will order a Popeye's Classic without pickles or mayo, then drive to the Wendy's not far away and order a Chicken Club sandwich. Back home, I will discard the Wendy's bun, wrap the contents in the Popeye's bun, and save the Popeye's chicken filet for another meal, maybe chicken filet in homemade mushroom sauce.

I was lured into a Chick-fil-a a couple of years ago with a coupon. I did not like the flavor of the marinated chicken, so I have not been back. Now may be the time to sample the breaded chicken sandwich and compare it to my some-assembly-required Popeye's/Wendy's home made version.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So how spicy is Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich? I don't mind spicy, but I do mind HOT SPICY! I can't do Cajun or "buffalo". Only time I've ever complained to a flight attendant about food (usually I'd just not eat it) was a spicy chicken sandwich served in Business class -- it was lip burning beyond anything I'd ever had; one bite was it. I can't imagine why anyone thought that was suitable airline fare. ETA Popye's just opened near us -- what else is good?

The "spicy" comes from their mayo. It appears the actual chicken filet is the same in both the mild and spicy versions. It is not lip burning.

For sides I like their mashed potatoes & gravy and their red beans & rice.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I was really disappointed in my last Krispy Kreme. It had been easily 10 years since we were close to one, so I looked forward to having one near the airport on Maui. I think they changed their fats just like McDonald's did for their fries when the trans fats were removed. Neither product is as good as it used to be.

It’s not that spicy.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I walked into Popeye's for lunch and thought it must be National Fried Chicken Day or something. Tuesdays are always busy with the 2 pc Special, and 6-8 people ahead of me. Today I was the 16th person in line. After 7-8 minutes with no movement of the line, I bailed for the drive-through. Between the time I walked out and pulled into the drive-through line, 3 cars beat me to it. Another 6 minutes and three more cars lined up on the street behind me. After another 4 minutes with no line movement, I decided to completely bail and come back later.

2 hours later, there were still cars lined-up four deep on the street, plus another four cars just to get to the Place Order sign. Inside there were only 9 people in line, so I gave it another try. 15 minutes later, I walked out with my order.

I have to say the chicken sandwich was one of the better ones I have had. I think it is the buttery bun that sets it apart. The sandwiches are premade and packed in a foil pouch. My chicken was neither crispy nor soggy. The regular chicken pieces were as crunchy as ever.

I like Wendy's Chicken Club sandwich, except for the bland bun. Now when I want a chicken sandwich, I will order a Popeye's Classic without pickles or mayo, then drive to the Wendy's not far away and order a Chicken Club sandwich. Back home, I will discard the Wendy's bun, wrap the contents in the Popeye's bun, and save the Popeye's chicken filet for another meal, maybe chicken filet in homemade mushroom sauce.

I was lured into a Chick-fil-a a couple of years ago with a coupon. I did not like the flavor of the marinated chicken, so I have not been back. Now may be the time to sample the breaded chicken sandwich and compare it to my some-assembly-required Popeye's/Wendy's home made version.
That is way too much work for just a fused Popeyes or Wendy’s sandwich.

Reactions: jme

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Really the "best" chicken sandwich is one I make at home.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I haven't tried the Popeyes sandwich yet, but I do like their chicken and biscuits. Mostly though, I love their red beans and rice! I will have to try their sandwich after the lines get shorter.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The "spicy" comes from their mayo. It appears the actual chicken filet is the same in both the mild and spicy versions. It is not lip burning..

After careful research mere moments ago, I can echo some of the same sentiments as Controller1. I think the filet (and breading) is similar on the regular and spicy version as well.
Some other observations FWIW:
  • Cost: Popeye's chicken sandwiches are about $0.40 more per sandwich than Chick Fil A's versions.
  • The size of both sandwiches seem similar, but I think the Popeye's filets were a bit plumper.
  • The breading on the outside of Popeye's chicken filet was good while the sandwich was hot and fresh but after a bit seemed to lose a bit of taste after a bit. To be fair, I tend to sense this same sort of phenomena with Chick Fil A as well.
  • The pickles on the Popeye's sandwich were indeed better - much like a Claussen pickle (not that thick but similar in taste and appearance). This helped the Popeye's sandwiches considerably as a good pickle on a sandwich is a taste climax!
  • The mayo and spicy mayo sauce from Popeye's does lack the variety and combination potential the sauces of Chick Fil A offer.
Conclusion? If it is meal time and I am in the area of either establishment and my meal requires only the sandwich, I might tend toward Popeye's but if my meal needs a drink, the tea at Chick Fil A is consistently good and as a tea drinker, this is important.

I would not say no to either choice.....both very good and tasty.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
After reading all these comments in the most recent food war of CfA vs P, I laugh---both at myself and at our culture.

But simultaneously I have also come to this basic conclusion about it all----Isn't FOOD great???

For some crazy reason, I enjoy it more and more as time passes, and find that I've become far more discriminating
than when I was younger. Dining out has become a special occasion, and not to be taken lightly or without
contemplation and planning, even when discussing such a thing as a chicken sandwich.

It's not a be-all or end-all regarding life issues, but it's enough to learn that "simple things can matter".
Maybe that's why I took on the personal calling of doing a Hilton Head Dining Guide, of all things!
Who more unqualified, but willing, than I?
I'm learning, but it's made my life more enjoyable in the process, and at the same time opened my eyes
to so much more than I ever thought.
My wife thinks so, and she now benefits from the amazing meals we enjoy together because of it.
Not to mention the occasional helping of guests and fellow travelers in a significant way, in a place we love so much.
It's expanded to Boston and Charleston now, where we frequently travel also.

Regarding any dining experience itself, it becomes apparent that it can be enhanced by table location, food preparation
and presentation, value, and even service---so all that becomes necessary to discuss......
but finally, it's truly all about TASTE.

A good meal can be very satisfying, even contributing to an overall favorable impression of a certain travel destination,
since we're all about travel.
And, in the same vein, an evening out together can become very gratifying because of shared time with a spouse or with friends.
It's a wonderful thing.

Popeye's or Chick-fil-A????
Who cares, really?
They're both good, and on any given day, I'm a fan of both---- and, given the great product that both offer,
I will be content not to judge too harshly, but simply in the end to enjoy the moment.
"Good" matters in all things, I suppose, so let's start from there---it has to be good.
The special part, which should never be forgotten,
is that looking across the table and sharing time with someone you care about,
and who matters, is also a worthy pursuit.
"Date nights" go a long, long way.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If it makes any difference, the now-deceased TV star Anthony Bourdain once plugged Popeye's, saying on the air
in an interview that whenever he arrived at a destination and was hungry, prior to doing his food, chef,
& restaurant-related duties, he would head straight for Popeye's. He admitted that he loved it, actually craved it.

That sounded pretty impressive to me, so for the many months I put off trying Popeye's, I kept reminding myself
that if Bourdain loved it, maybe I would too. This week I finally stood in line to satisfy the current cultural curiosity
that Popeye's has become. And it was very good. Different but very good.
So I cannot dismiss it for not being a great sandwich, as advertised.

Addendum 11-7-19:
I need to try the Spicy sandwich next. Have a feeling it'll be even better.
One thing I'll add is that the Popeye's sandwich is very large....big crispy piece of chicken, and the bun is also large. Could be good, could be bad, depending.
Not necessarily an indictment to have a large wonderful sandwich, as it doesn't speak to the quality or the taste, but for logistics and for me personally,
maybe it is.

The down side of that is, it's not an easy sandwich to eat. You MUST eat it
with two hands, guaranteed, and for me, that's sometimes difficult because
I will order a sandwich in the drive-thru for lunch and take off driving. And when you see that sandwich in front of you, you have to come up with
a plan of attack, LOL.... Sort of like the Whopper from Burger King.

So, the Chick-fil-A sandwich is slightly smaller and can easily be handled with one hand. For me, that's better. So many factors to consider, but given the taste, size, etc of the C-f-A sandwich, it'll probably remain my 1st choice, and for the silly factor of size.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For many decades I loved KFC, until I discovered Popeyes. Popeyes fried chicken is much less oily then KFC's. BTW, I tear off as much skin and breading as I can when I eat fried chicken. Still, Popeyes is better.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, this thread convinced me to try Popeyes today. I was in the next town which has one. I went at noon. Drive through had a line, but I walked inside right up to the counter. Got the spicy chicken sandwich (690 calories, yikes)! It was delicious. Just the right amount of spice. Huge piece of chicken. Soft bun. Definitely filled me up. Sat at a table in the near empty restaurant, and finished a book.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I'm going to try it once the hoopla dies down. I used to love Popeye's but our local outlet has always disappointed me.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I like the $1.89 white meat special on Tuesdays at Popeye's. I buy four, eat one, and freeze the rest for future lunches. No chicken in the freezer, so it will be Popeye's for lunch today. I will have to order my usual, plus a chicken sandwich just to see what all the hype is about.

A Krispy Kreme store opened about 20 years ago in a town near me. The grand opening made the local news. I made a point of trying the donuts on a couple of trips through that town and remember thinking they were just donuts like most any other donuts. I did not understand all the hype.

Did you have them fresh and hot? I rarely have them but when I do, that hot light has to be on. Melt in your mouth goodness!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Krispy Kreme store opened about 20 years ago in a town near me. The grand opening made the local news. I made a point of trying the donuts on a couple of trips through that town and remember thinking they were just donuts like most any other donuts. I did not understand all the hype.

It is best to eat them hot fresh baked and hot fresh glazed. Then they just melt in your mouth. It is very easy though unwise to eat a dozen. When you are at home and have some left over put them in the Microwave for 8 seconds. Almost as good as fresh.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Well I tried it and was underwhelmed.

First off, they cannot execute the recipe. Ordered two sandwiches, one spicy and one normal. Neither had any dressing and only one sandwich had a single slice of pickle.

I was a nice juicy piece of chicken and the bun was ok.

Popeye's needs to work on their process. It looks like it is not scalable.

I have been through the lunch rush at Chick Fil A. During the lunch rush they have three people going through the line with portable terminals getting orders and accepting payment. I don't know how they keep it straight, but they do. The window now just has to deliver the product ... Smart.

We have a Whataburger that stacks up cars for the dinner rush. They take the order and stage the car in one if 3 overflow positions, take payment and proceed in an orderly fashion. At breakfast and lunch cars are wrapped around the building.

When we went to Popeyes, it was at ~8:00 PM and there were about 4-5 cars in the line. It took us 30 minutes to get through the line. Popeyes needs to step it up on delivery and quality.

Brett

Reaction score
The popularity of Popeyes chicken sandwiches is now a Saturday night live sketch - (but SNL is past my bedtime)

chick12-09-29.jpg

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never had it. I have never had Chick-fil-a either.

We are not normally fast food/fried food eaters. i will have to give it a try someday.

Is it all about the butter/crispy coating? Or is the chicken actually delicious?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I have never had it. I have never had Chick-fil-a either.

We are not normally fast food/fried food eaters. i will have to give it a try someday.
Is it all about the butter/crispy coating? Or is the chicken actually delicious?

Hmmm, we'll never tell.....you just have to try them to see. Worth trying, that's all I will say.

Chick-fil-A is good enough, or I should say great enough, that it changed our habits
prior to EVERY trip out of town (when we drive).

We either pick up chicken biscuits if we leave in early a.m.(OMG), or chicken sandwiches if we leave
around lunchtime.
We crave them both, and are firmly stuck on that "tradition". And we always leave on our trip very happy.
Did just that on a trip to Charleston this past weekend.

The biscuits are akin to homemade ones--- fresh, hot, fluffy, & buttery good and almost falling apart, and the chicken
is tender and perfectly spiced. And the sandwiches, albeit different, are simply delicious in every way.
Good luck (and "You're Welcome").