• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seawatch @ Island Club HHI converted to points from Weeks

wptamo

Reaction score
Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone knows more about this than I?

For years if I didn't use my fixed deeded week, I would deposit in my RCI weeks account, then do a Points for Deposit to my Points account, and then go to one of my points home resorts.- Me happy!

This year my request for Points For Deposit was denied by RCI because it's now a "Points" Resort. Happened Jan 1 this year. I missed the mailer?

After many conversations with RCI & Seawatch I got an email from a Seawatch board member referring me to a third party TS sales company -> Resort Source Timeshare Resales.

What? I have to deal with a TS salesman!?!?!

Is this common practice? I thought I recalled reading about this happening with other resorts but they just upgrade your week to points or switch it.. still keeping the underlying Deeded week.

So.. what to do!?
I just sent an inquiry email to that contact I was given & I talked to II about reopening up my account and getting a discount off membership when I deposit.

So I'm thinking of giving II a spin instead of RCI, since my initial searches in RCI weeks didn't net me what I was looking for... I always got what I wanted using RCI points at home resort.

..anyways thats my situation, sorry if long winded, But I'm a bit apprehensive about talking to a TS sales guy and paying big $$ for something I use to do that cost me like $70 cdn.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated..,

thanks in advance,

Paul

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
That sucks, but it happens.

A few years ago I bought a triennial deed (resale) @ Woodstone at Massanutten in VA. My plan was to use it for PFD. Shortly after I bought, the resort joined with RCI Points, so PFD is no longer an option.

Now my options are (1) use it, (2) let someone else use/rent it, (3) deposit, (4) attempt to sell/give away or (5) pay to have it converted to RCI Points. I most certainly will NOT do option 5. Fortunately it's only every 3 years and just a few hours drive from my home.

I say give II a try.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone knows more about this than I?

For years if I didn't use my fixed deeded week, I would deposit in my RCI weeks account, then do a Points for Deposit to my Points account, and then go to one of my points home resorts.- Me happy!

This year my request for Points For Deposit was denied by RCI because it's now a "Points" Resort. Happened Jan 1 this year. I missed the mailer?

After many conversations with RCI & Seawatch I got an email from a Seawatch board member referring me to a third party TS sales company -> Resort Source Timeshare Resales.

What? I have to deal with a TS salesman!?!?!

Is this common practice? I thought I recalled reading about this happening with other resorts but they just upgrade your week to points or switch it.. still keeping the underlying Deeded week.

So.. what to do!?
I just sent an inquiry email to that contact I was given & I talked to II about reopening up my account and getting a discount off membership when I deposit.

So I'm thinking of giving II a spin instead of RCI, since my initial searches in RCI weeks didn't net me what I was looking for... I always got what I wanted using RCI points at home resort.

..anyways thats my situation, sorry if long winded, But I'm a bit apprehensive about talking to a TS sales guy and paying big $$ for something I use to do that cost me like $70 cdn.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated..,

thanks in advance,

Paul
I own at Royal Dunes down the street. I have heard rumours that our board is considering making Royal Dunes a RCI Points resort also. If true, I'll be in the same boat as you. I guess I'll know more after this year's annual meeting.

wptamo

Reaction score
Hiya, @Maple Leaf... ya I'm not sure what their thought process was... I don't think they were concerned about upsetting a few owners when they have the opportunity (I'm guessing) to make more $$$. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.. I did join Interval International and I'm at this point, underwhelmed ! Unless I want to go to Mexico, where i already have a TS... I should call that reseller to see how much and what is involved to convert to points, but my guess is $$$$ My buddy is in exact same boat as I , my wife said sell, my buddy said what happens if we walk away? Can they sue Canadians? Dunno...
thanks for response...

Paul

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Hiya, @Maple Leaf... ya I'm not sure what their thought process was... I don't think they were concerned about upsetting a few owners when they have the opportunity (I'm guessing) to make more $$$.
Hey Paul, how much did they want to charge you to convert to RCI Points? I got a letter today from Royal Dunes offering RCI Points conversion "marketed and managed by your long-time management company, SPM Resorts."

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I got a letter today from Royal Dunes offering RCI Points conversion "marketed and managed by your long-time management company, SPM Resorts."

Hmmm... I wonder if other SPM managed resorts will soon follow suit? I own a week in Outer Banks (that I never deposit)... I'm really just curious if they're considering this also.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Hmmm... I wonder if other SPM managed resorts will soon follow suit? I own a week in Outer Banks (that I never deposit)... I'm really just curious if they're considering this also.
SPM is likely advising Boards to offer a conversion to RCI Points. It would be a Board decision to do this.

wptamo

Reaction score
Hey Paul, how much did they want to charge you to convert to RCI Points? I got a letter today from Royal Dunes offering RCI Points conversion "marketed and managed by your long-time management company, SPM Resorts."
Hiya,
I've yet had an opportunity to call and find out... almost dreading talking to them.... I will call now and see....

wptamo

Reaction score
Hiya,
I've yet had an opportunity to call and find out... almost dreading talking to them.... I will call now and see....

Hiya, just spoke with guy at the sales company who just facilitates the conversion and the fee is "RCI's points conversion fee" of: $2950 usd.
yikes! that's a lot, considering I use to spend just $70cdn for a transaction fee... why does RCI do this.... ???
I mean we love the resort, and it's given us decent points trading wise... but that's steep, think I will just use it or trade via "weeks" in RCI or II.

...laters

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hiya, just spoke with guy at the sales company who just facilitates the conversion and the fee is "RCI's points conversion fee" of: $2950 usd.
yikes! that's a lot, considering I use to spend just $70cdn for a transaction fee... why does RCI do this.... ???
I mean we love the resort, and it's given us decent points trading wise... but that's steep, think I will just use it or trade via "weeks" in RCI or II.

...laters
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but someone a while ago said the actual RCI charge is 300. I imagine it has gone up but I doubt it is 3000. Imagine someone trying to sell you something didn't tell the whole truth.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
That price is ridiculous. It's just another timeshare scam but this time brought to you by your board of directors.

wptamo

Reaction score
That price is ridiculous. It's just another timeshare scam but this time brought to you by your board of directors.
Hi Maple Leaf, agree! I'm not going to do it, no way... I have a year to decide if I want to keep this TS or sell it, at least it's a week I can use! A buddy who has a diff week is now going to sell it... Now this leads to another TS issue I'm having, I'll start a new thread... maybe.. but basically I traded a gold week and the resort deposited a silver week! Diff is 7,000 points after doing PFD. Not much? equates to $120-$130 when you do a point price calculation.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but someone a while ago said the actual RCI charge is 300. I imagine it has gone up but I doubt it is 3000. Imagine someone trying to sell you something didn't tell the whole truth.

RCI charges the resort a fairly small conversion per unit as it is converted. RCI markets RCI points as a way to allow HOA's to offer additional flexibility to their owners and to make some money in the process. HOA's can set there own conversion fee. Typically they pay either their own sales staff or pay a 3rd party marketing group a 50 percent commission on the conversion. So if this were the case and the fee was $2995 then RCI gets $300 (or so), SPM gets about $1345 and the HOA gets $1345 per conversion. Keep in mind that going from a once a week check in check out to any day of the week incurs additional expenses to the resort in terms of front desk and administrative measures plus the need to have housekeeping available 7 days a week. RCI points users typically pay the extra hk fee for staying fewer days than a week but the resort will likely have to have a different HK contract with their vendor to make sure they have the staff onsite for the turn around.

I have also heard that resorts also pay a one time fee to RCI in addition to the conversion fee per week. The better deal they cut with RCI to get more points the higher the fee. I believe the better deals with the higher fees are typically paid by resorts in active sales. That is why places like Grandview and Massanutten and VV at Parkway have fairly high points values compared to lower tpu's in the weeks system. This fee can be modest for older resorts or in the millions for the ones in active sales. The conversion fee that the resort charges will likely also be an attempt to recover this additional fee.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Now this leads to another TS issue I'm having, I'll start a new thread... maybe.. but basically I traded a gold week and the resort deposited a silver week! Diff is 7,000 points after doing PFD. Not much? equates to $120-$130 when you do a point price calculation.
Don't you first reserve your week with SPM, then contact RCI to deposit the week? If I wanted to trade a gold week on HHI I think I would reserve that Heritage golf tournament week or week 23.

wptamo

Reaction score
Don't you first reserve your week with SPM, then contact RCI to deposit the week? If I wanted to trade a gold week on HHI I think I would reserve that Heritage golf tournament week or week 23.
Oh sorry Maple Leaf, it's an entirely different issue, not related to Seawatch. I may post a different thread...

wptamo

Reaction score
Follow up almost one year later...
So since Seawatch at Island Club converted to points and the cost to convert to points is as mentioned above $2950 usd...
I've decided to put my week up for sale!
My friend who was also in same situation already sold.
I like the resort, but not being able to get the points takes away the flexibility I had before, (unless I pay the fee).
I really don't think they thought this thru !? or not many owners did the points for deposit option with RCI.
..laters

wptamo

Reaction score
So I replied to the timeshare sales company that does the conversion for them, the reply: (I asked about the $2950 usd fee)
"That is the industry standard rate regardless of where you go and whether or not you are an existing member."
..so I'm done!

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
So I replied to the timeshare sales company that does the conversion for them, the reply: (I asked about the $2950 usd fee)
"That is the industry standard rate regardless of where you go and whether or not you are an existing member."
..so I'm done!
They are spreading fake timeshare sales B.S.
SPM Resorts offered me 104,000 RCI points for my platinum week at Royal Dunes for a conversion fee of $349.