• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

being ripped off? [Deeding back Spinnaker timeshare]

myoung

Reaction score
I am doing a deedback for my spinnaker timeshare EOY (even). I was quoted a processing fee of $750.00 over the phone by the rep for the resort. When she emailed me the specifics, she added on a $1,500.00 calling it annual usage fee. Since we are getting rid of the timeshare during the odd year, I believe we shouldn't owe anything except for this (ridiculous) $750 processing fee. I feel like we are being ripped off! Has anyone else had this experience? Do I have any other options other than paying the $2250.00?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
First...I didn't realize Spinnaker accepted deedbacks. I have a 1bdrm odd week at Waterside I'm looking to let go because I picked up a 2bdrm odd week for later in the year. I'll have to look in to this.

Second... Have you called to confirm this add'l $1500 fee? I'm assuming accepting deedbacks is new and wondering if maybe someone is confusing the prepaid maintenance fee on annual deeds with EOY deeds.

Looking forward to hearing your status updates.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call and get an explanation of exactly what makes up the $2,250. The add'l $1,500 may be to cover MFs not being collected while Spinnaker is attempting to sell your Week to someone else. Once you have verified what it is going to cost you to get rid of your Week make a decision. Is it worth what they are asking to divest your Week with certainty and without a hassle? If yes, do the deal. If no, go on to Plan B...

George

myoung

Reaction score
I emailed the rep back and for additional information and will let you know how it goes, thank you for your feedback!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes we have heard of the high fees spinnaker charges to return a unit, it is one of the highest fees in the US we have ever heard of for a resort deedback :(

myoung

Reaction score
whew! It took multiple calls but spinnaker finally said I could do buy back at $750.00. Unfortunately, I have developed a very serious life threatening medical condition and requested a medical hardship (I am unable to work and living on IRA savings) reprieve as I cannot afford the $750.00 fee. After several months of calling and emailing (which went unanswered) I finally requested to speak and supervisor and somehow, Magically, the issue was resolved.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
whew! It took multiple calls but spinnaker finally said I could do buy back at $750.00. Unfortunately, I have developed a very serious life threatening medical condition and requested a medical hardship (I am unable to work and living on IRA savings) reprieve as I cannot afford the $750.00 fee. After several months of calling and emailing (which went unanswered) I finally requested to speak and supervisor and somehow, Magically, the issue was resolved.

Happy this worked out for you. Good luck with your medical condition!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, further proof that you do not need to contact any cancel/exit/relief company, law firm, or charity to get you out of your timeshare.

As I have said many times (based on my personal experience) the key is persistence. Don't take "No" for an answer. Keep calling (or writing). Try to talk to as many different people as you can. Yes, it takes time and effort. Remember, all the "Nos" don't matter. All you need is one "Yes"...

George

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I please put in my 2 cents here? I have been trying to sell, give away and give back a resort week that I own since 2017, and here's where it is right now. After many calls, emails and letters to the HOA I finally got smart after reading posts on TUG and went to the President of the Management Company. My reason for opting out is that my husband was having heart problems and needed surgery, he also had knee replacement surgery and several other issues when I wrote the letter. When I finally got a reply from them I was told that I had to have a letter from his Doctor stating that he can no longer travel. A conversation with the doctor was useless. We told him the truth about why we needed the letter and his reply was, "I don't get involved with anything to do with timeshare problems". Thank Doc, very helpful. So now the MF's are coming due and I'm not going to pay any further and I told the Mgt. Company that. Do you think there is anything else I can do? (other than change Doctor's).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
surely the doctor can provide something in writing that explains both the knee surgery and heart replacement?

doesnt have to actually SAY he cant travel anymore etc.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Can I please put in my 2 cents here? I have been trying to sell, give away and give back a resort week that I own since 2017, and here's where it is right now. After many calls, emails and letters to the HOA I finally got smart after reading posts on TUG and went to the President of the Management Company. My reason for opting out is that my husband was having heart problems and needed surgery, he also had knee replacement surgery and several other issues when I wrote the letter. When I finally got a reply from them I was told that I had to have a letter from his Doctor stating that he can no longer travel. A conversation with the doctor was useless. We told him the truth about why we needed the letter and his reply was, "I don't get involved with anything to do with timeshare problems". Thank Doc, very helpful. So now the MF's are coming due and I'm not going to pay any further and I told the Mgt. Company that. Do you think there is anything else I can do? (other than change Doctor's).
Get a chiropractor who are more understanding about patients’ pain. Depending on your insurance, I know a chiropractor in MD who might be able to provide such a note.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
While I am sympathetic to the medical issues if you asked the Doctor to write a note stating your husband can no longer travel and he refused he must certainly believe your husband is able to travel. Expecting a Doctor, or anyone, to lie isn’t the answer.

What you told the HOA is what I would have done as well. I would have added that they can either accept the deed back due to medical conditions or they could go through a costly foreclosure, their choice.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
RX8: Yes it was knee replacement and heart surgery. I did send a final letter to the Management company telling them that we are unable to pay the MF's any longer. They still insist on the letter from our Doctor. I'm going to try reaching out again to our Doctor. Thank you for your reply and encouragement.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha...fingers clearly did not translate what mind was thinking!

Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
RX8: Yes it was knee replacement and heart surgery. I did send a final letter to the Management company telling them that we are unable to pay the MF's any longer. They still insist on the letter from our Doctor. I'm going to try reaching out again to our Doctor. Thank you for your reply and encouragement.

I like Brian’s idea to have the Doctor write a note explaining the medical conditions even if it doesn’t specifically state cannot travel. The HOA just may accept it.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Timeshares shouldn’t be a lifetime commitment, things change and right now you are not in a position to be dealing with this. I wish you and your husband the best during his recovery. That is the main thing. The Doctor just has to write a note saying what surgery your husband will be having and doesn’t have to say anything about your husband’s ability to travel or not.
Let us know how everything goes.
Silentg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask the doctor to write a letter To Whom It May Concern and not to the timeshare company

This will allow a broader use of the letter IMO.
Good Luck.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I know it has been awhile since you made this post but could you please give me the contact information you used to do the deed back? I have an elderly uncle and aunt who want to do the same thing.