• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holy Resort Fees Batman!

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
21FBF79D-804D-42BB-B895-28A9E8F1D63D.jpeg

I was looking at a room with Hilton on the big island. While reviewing the extra info, noticed the daily resort fee (the add on garbage fee for local phone, internet and a “safe fee”) is $206 per night!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
So is this to have access to the Lagoon etc?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you don't want to pay the fee, it's simple: Just don't go.
But many peep walk with their feet, straight thru the door.
It's like Disney: "The most expensive place on Earth" and too crowded.

i

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This has been discussed extensively on the Hilton forum.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
I believe this amount is for the whole stay as the resort daily fee is around $45 plus they tax it, still way too much as I hate this style of fee. I go to some length to avoid places that find a need for these deceptive charges. Curt

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe this amount is for the whole stay as the resort daily fee is around $45 plus they tax it, still way too much as I hate this style of fee. I go to some length to avoid places that find a need for these deceptive charges. Curt

I thought that as well, but I was doing the one bedroom for $295/night. I was looking at three nights. At the bottom they are stating the charge to the card will be $1512.24. The only way to get near the total is if the per night garbage fees are the $206. Agree though, $45 a night is too much.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do those fees somehow avoid taxes? If so is it a win for both parties overall? I do not like the fees. Usually pay with points.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do those fees somehow avoid taxes? If so is it a win for both parties overall? I do not like the fees. Usually pay with points.

No, the fees do not allow you to avoid taxes. In fact, taxes are levied against fees plus hotel cost.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
One benefit of being a HGVC owner is staying at their timeshares you do not pay resort fees and you only pay about the 4% excise tax on your stay versus the additional almost 10% transient tax for about 14% total for hotel rooms. Curt

mikenoff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas
Winners Circle - Solana Beach
View attachment 14889
I was looking at a room with Hilton on the big island. While reviewing the extra info, noticed the daily resort fee (the add on garbage fee for local phone, internet and a “safe fee”) is $206 per night!
This can’t be correct. I’ve stayed there. I think that the thing to do is call the resort directly

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
This can’t be correct. I’ve stayed there. I think that the thing to do is call the resort directly
Hmm..
Perhaps the reservation website the OP is using is adding extra booking fees (secure.rezserver.com) :shrug:

I thought that as well, but I was doing the one bedroom for $295/night. I was looking at three nights. At the bottom they are stating the charge to the card will be $1512.24. The only way to get near the total is if the per night garbage fees are the $206. Agree though, $45 a night is too much.

For example, here’s what I get at the Hilton.com site for non-refundable prepaid reservation using a slightly higher nightly rate for 3 nights. Try your desired dates at Hilton.com.

229898BD-93EE-4AE2-BE3D-1CF3988C1D7C.png

mlnuwer

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 14889
I totally agree. When we purchased our timeshare it was supposed to cover everything at the resort. Now there are fees for pool, kitchen, amenities, parking, safe and many other items that should be included. I think we need to revolt. The answer is not just do not stay at that resort. If I want my children to use my home resort I must buy a guest certificate for $50. That is outrageous!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So this is Hilton? I couldn't tell by what the OP posted. Would that fee be reimbursed or partially reimbursed to the Aspire card? Just wondering because my new Aspire card says fees are reimbursed up to a certain amount. $450 for the card seems outrageous to me, considering most of the benefits will probably not benefit me much.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm..
Perhaps the reservation website the OP is using is adding extra booking fees (secure.rezserver.com) :shrug:

For example, here’s what I get at the Hilton.com site for non-refundable prepaid reservation using a slightly higher nightly rate for 3 nights. Try your desired dates at Hilton.com.

View attachment 14954

I was not looking at the Hilton site, so it’s possible the third party was adding something, but more probable they just messed up the numbers.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. When we purchased our timeshare it was supposed to cover everything at the resort. Now there are fees for pool, kitchen, amenities, parking, safe and many other items that should be included. I think we need to revolt. The answer is not just do not stay at that resort. If I want my children to use my home resort I must buy a guest certificate for $50. That is outrageous!

This was for the hotel, not the timeshare. However, I agree with you re fees on a timeshare.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
So this is Hilton? I couldn't tell by what the OP posted. Would that fee be reimbursed or partially reimbursed to the Aspire card? Just wondering because my new Aspire card says fees are reimbursed up to a certain amount. $450 for the card seems outrageous to me, considering most of the benefits will probably not benefit me much.

Yes, the hotel side on the big island.

No idea re the Aspire card, sorry.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - bear with me. I just learned how to post the above two pictures. Would have liked in the same post.

Anyway - we recently drove down to Disney and drove straight through.

While in the car, I decided to browse/call and see who had the best rates, availability, etc. I needed two rooms. One for hubby and I and one for my daughter and son-in-law.

The first picture at the Holiday Inn shows a rate or $94. I figured a few dollars in taxes, sounded reasonable so I booked two rooms. After booking and getting my confirmation number, I see my total with all the taxes and additional charges. So, no way was my total going to be $278.

I decided to call the hotel - they had one main number and one that said front desk. I spoke to "Tony". I told him the situation and asked if that was my final total and it did not show the additional charges prior to booking and giving my cc info. etc.

I told him we would be arriving late - 10PM or so. I said, please don't let me come there, and I have to pay more. He checked and said, yes, that is my total. I asked him if he was "front desk" and he said Central Reservations......so it's not Front desk like I read......

Something told me he was probably wrong.

We arrived around 10pm and I was told my total was $381 +. I showed him the pictures on my phone and that I spoke to Tony and he said, final Total $278. I was checking out by 11 am. I also told her and showed her Best Western comparing prices. Just needed a place to sleep.

The girl taken care of us, called someone over. She looked on the computer. I also made sure I would not be charged for parking $18 since I had reserved AAA no parking fee. I started to discuss with hubby....it is now late, I wonder if we can find a room now, etc. etc. She told us that ""Tony" was right and wrong and that our final total was $281 and were we okay with it. I said, yes of course.

I was not going to argue or insist. I did not need to pay an additional $22 for shuttle - we were not there for it or needed it. The taxes are billed and the $22 is billed - making it $278. I don't know how they came up with $381......more taxes????/

We were tired and just happy with the $281.

Last edited: