• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you advertise your travels?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I post on FB when traveling. It would still be hard for someone to know where I live from my facebook unless you know me well. I also use FB to keep close to good friends and family not to have as many friends as I can possibly add. I would guess that almost all of the people that would see these posts and pictures already know I am gone. Sure I am taking a slight risk, but I am not overly worried.

PS If you are on my facebook page and see pictures from our home, you would realize we are not possession type people. Robbing our house might net you enough for gas money to get you to your next burglary.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I post on FB when traveling. It would still be hard for someone to know where I live from my facebook unless you know me well. I also use FB to keep close to good friends and family not to have as many friends as I can possibly add. I would guess that almost all of the people that would see these posts and pictures already know I am gone. Sure I am taking a slight risk, but I am not overly worried.

PS If you are on my facebook page and see pictures from our home, you would realize we are not possession type people. Robbing our house might net you enough for gas money to get you to your next burglary.
I've thought about this before. I often think that a burglar would be so mad if they broke in to our house. We don't keep cash on hand, our electronics are pretty old, I don't have a lot of valuable jewelry and I wear the pieces with value on a daily basis. We don't do stuff. But we are rich in memories and they can't take that!

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
A. So, do you know the poster's home address?
2. Would someone case their house for a month?
iii. Have you met their doberman?

--------------------------------------
A police officer, when transporting a suspect in a burglary, said to him:
"You know, guy, burglary's gotta be a lotta work... You have to case the place, making sure no one's home, try not to trip any alarms, do it quietly to avoid waking the neighbors, haul the stuff out without being seen, and then find some way to fence the stuff so it's not traced back to you. But that's where most peep mess up, 'cuz they they either take it a pawn shop that records their ID or they sell it to someone who snitches on 'em. It sure can't be easy."
-- The suspect said: "Yeah, well, I thought it'd be easy at the time."

I understand what you're saying Talent312. It takes some effort. But, not a lot. For example, just from TUG I know the area where you live and your first name. The internet can provide a wealth of information about someone and that's just the "public knowledge" data that anyone can legally share.

Advertisements for alarm systems, Ring, closed circuit security systems, etc. will all quote statistics on just how often homes are broken into. And, I know, they're "sales pitches" but there is a lining of truth to them. Those statistics wouldn't be nearly as scary if there wasn't a way for crooks to make money from it. I'm just questioning: "Why make it easier for them?" Door locks, deadbolts, Ring, alarm systems, surveillance systems, they're all just one thing, deterrents. They're not a fool proof solution.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
We have one of those new doorbells that will take your picture and the surrounding areas. Then it will alert us and send all the pictures to our smartphone and computer.
Door locks, deadbolts, Ring, alarm systems, surveillance systems, they're all just one thing, deterrents. They're not a fool proof solution. Plus, a lot of the time you're not there to do anything about it. You're just receiving a picture of somebody wearing a ski mask. I'm just questioning: "Why make it easier?"

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Door locks, deadbolts, Ring, alarm systems, surveillance systems, they're all just one thing, deterrents. They're not a fool proof solution. Plus, a lot of the time you're not there to do anything about it. You're just receiving a picture of somebody wearing a ski mask. I'm just questioning: "Why make it easier?"

In today’s world, a person needs peace of mind to be able to function. If we were all to deny ourselves the opportunity to enjoy life because we’re afraid of someone stealing our property, it’s not a far stretch to hiding behind locked doors with a shotgun, quaking with paranoia. Other than my family and pets, nothing I own is that valuable. If a criminal wants it that bad, they can as easily break in while I’m home, murder everyone, and take everything we own.

Common sense goes a long way toward that peace of mind. I choose to not take chances, but I’m also not going to deny my enjoyment of my life.

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
In today’s world, a person needs peace of mind to be able to function. If we were all to deny ourselves the opportunity to enjoy life because we’re afraid of someone stealing our property, it’s not a far stretch to hiding behind locked doors with a shotgun, quaking with paranoia. Other than my family and pets, nothing I own is that valuable. If a criminal wants it that bad, they can as easily break in while I’m home, murder everyone, and take everything we own.

Common sense goes a long way toward that peace of mind. I choose to not take chances, but I’m also not going to deny my enjoyment of my life.

Dave

Perfectly said, I couldn’t say it better, totally agree with you.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I've got a question for you Ring doorbell (or similar) folks. It really just seems like a self monitoring (vs central monitoring) system. What happens when you are flying or in a play or other place where your phone is off or don't hear the alert on your phone? Seems like it leaves a lot of holes in the security but would love to hear from people with actual experience.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've got a question for you Ring doorbell (or similar) folks. It really just seems like a self monitoring (vs central monitoring) system. What happens when you are flying or in a play or other place where your phone is off or don't hear the alert on your phone? Seems like it leaves a lot of holes in the security but would love to hear from people with actual experience.
My sil and bil have a system where they are notified if there is a breech in their security. My dh is secondary on this, and when they are out of town they let him know that he could be called. This did happen once, but it was when they were in town, but had their phones turned off. I'm not assuming everyone has a back up like this, but this is my experience.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Wifi doorbells note missed callers and sends video to the cloud or a hidden memory card.
Some need a subscription, some do not. You can playback recorded video for missed calls.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Wifi doorbells note missed callers and sends video to the cloud or a hidden memory card.
Some need a subscription, some do not. You can playback recorded video for missed calls.

That sounds fine for seeing what happened but they seem to promote these as a proactive way to deter problems. (Don't mean to sound cranky - just trying to understand how people make these work for the security that is implied.)

I'm also probably lumping the Ring doorbell and Ring flood light together.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
PS If someone decides to go through one of your windows to break into your home, ring door bell won't help. It's a nifty gadget, but I don't see it as really preventing a home invasion.
I'll disagree with you here. Not sure if you know, but the Ring doorbell and other similar products capture video based on motion as well as when someone presses the button.

A home burglar is most likely going to first approach the front door to determine if anyone is home before breaking in. Seeing the video doorbell, they will know that their picture was taken -- do you really think they would proceed and break in, knowing the homeowner now has timestamped video of them at the house? They may not be the smartest of people out there, but I think there is a high probability they would pass on the house.

Kurt

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds fine for seeing what happened but they seem to promote these as a proactive way to deter problems. (Don't mean to sound cranky - just trying to understand how people make these work for the security that is implied.)

I'm also probably lumping the Ring doorbell and Ring flood light together.
We have Ring. I can tell you that Ring is only good for video recording. There are many seconds of delay before your cell phone is alerted to someone ringing the door bell. By the time you get it and answer, Elvis has left the building.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'll disagree with you here. Not sure if you know, but the Ring doorbell and other similar products capture video based on motion as well as when someone presses the button.

A home burglar is most likely going to first approach the front door to determine if anyone is home before breaking in. Seeing the video doorbell, they will know that their picture was taken -- do you really think they would proceed and break in, knowing the homeowner now has timestamped video of them at the house? They may not be the smartest of people out there, but I think there is a high probability they would pass on the house.

Kurt

Yes I know that. I get what you are saying. But- maybe they will go around to the back door first. Or the side door. Or skip the doors and go for the window around back or the side of the house.

I actually know someone that was home- with her dog- her car in the driveway!! And someone came into her downstairs kitchen back door and stole stuff without her seeing him!

As for videos- they are good- but only as good as the police can match the pics with a name. I had a bag of goods stolen from me right at the cash register (I forgot it there) of a store and it was caught on tape and the police said it is all great but they have no way of knowing who she is (she paid for her own things with cash).

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'm just questioning: "Why make it easier?"

I think we just disagree on the risk I am taking. I find it to be a very small risk and that the positives I get out of posting while gone out weigh that small risk. For me it also goes back to DaveNW’s post. I really don’t worry about it at all.

Does anyone personally know of someone that’s been robbed while they were away and posting? Someone mentioned urban legend and i’d have to agree with that.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes I know that. I get what you are saying. But- maybe they will go around to the back door first. Or the side door. Or skip the doors and go for the window around back or the side of the house.
Sure, nothing can absolutely stop a determined thief from breaking in, but my point is that a video doorbell is much more than a "nifty gadget" that doesn't prevent home invasions, as you stated. It is a deterrent, and along with other deterrents (lights, security systems, cameras, etc.), they do help to prevent home invasions.

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sure, nothing can absolutely stop a determined thief from breaking in, but my point is that a video doorbell is much more than a "nifty gadget" that doesn't prevent home invasions, as you stated. It is a deterrent, and along with other deterrents (lights, security systems, cameras, etc.), they do help to prevent home invasions.

Kurt

Agree. The more things you have the better. I saw a gadget that you can put in the room that projects a light that resembles a TV being on from the outside window!

Also- my Alexa can play barking dogs continuously!! LOL!

And- there are "fake" cameras that look real that you can place around your property and put up signs that state video monitoring.

For us, we have a security system and we leave a light on, plus some night lights. We have those outside lights with motion detectors also. Deer trigger them all the time.

A car in the driveway- maybe one in the garage if you have an extra- is always good. Hold your mail and do not schedule deliveries when you will be away. Lock down you garage doors, too.

Before we got our security system, we used to call the state troopers and ask them to take a drive by while we were away.

The more deterrents you have the better. At least the amateurs like maybe young people will think twice. But nothing is foolproof for sure. I think real professionals will get in no matter what.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No we no longer post about our travels. We worry it comes across as “showing off” on Facebook. We only share travel photos and stories with our close friends. In fact, we rarely use Facebook because of the privacy issues. I do not have a personal Facebook account anymore.
This is the truth. We do travel a lot more than most of our friends, and through the magic of timeshares, we take some pretty amazing trips. So I have stopped posting pictures for every trip because I am sure that it makes people feel bad. So I post trip pictures just once in a while.

We have secret family groups (one for our immediate family, one for my in laws) where we indulge all of our trip postings, pictures of the babies and pets, and plan our family get-togethers. The secret groups are the only reason that we are still on facebook to be honest.

As far as privacy, my page is as generic as it gets. If it became public I would be mad but not embarrassed. I assume that nothing is private, especially on facebook.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have Ring. I can tell you that Ring is only good for video recording. There are many seconds of delay before your cell phone is alerted to someone ringing the door bell. By the time you get it and answer, Elvis has left the building.
Mine too! A friend told me that we need to upgrade our internet speed or something like that to make it instantaneous. He spent about $300 to make his Ring work correctly. We haven't done anything...yet.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine too! A friend told me that we need to upgrade our internet speed or something like that to make it instantaneous. He spent about $300 to make his Ring work correctly. We haven't done anything...yet.
We have 20M download and 2M upload and the maximum that goes to our building.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For example, just from TUG I know the area where you live and your first name.

But do you? It could be an alias. Just so you know...
My real name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Mountbatten-Windsor, a/k/a the Queen of England.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
But do you? It could be an alias. Just so you know...
My real name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Mountbatten-Windsor, a/k/a the Queen of England.

:D Well, my Queen, I didn't have the royalty part. But I did have the Elizabeth part.

Regina Smith

Reaction score
I love this topic, because I have found many information about how to protect my home. I find the best thing for protection may be home alarm system. Even if I am outside, when someone intrude my house, the alarm system will raise the warning and call the police. And with a CCTV camera, I can monitor my home at anytime and anywhere. If the burglar is escape, I can give the monitoring video to police as an evidence. So I am willing to have a home alarm system and CCTV camera. But I don't decide buy which one now.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I just installed one, but need to adjust it, 'cuz it rings whenever a car drives past the house.
I have a ring doorbell and if you take a few minutes, you can define the exact area of interest and ignore the passing traffic.

The ring doorbell is always recording internally. When it is triggered, it has already captured what occurred about 5 seconds BEFORE it was triggered.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Occasionally we post on fb or I might here on tug. Sometimes while we are away other times when we get back. It depends on the internet connection and time we have more than being worried that some one would break in. There is usually some one at our house when we are away and now my son and his family are next door. Our neighbors kind of keep track of who is wandering about as well.

The main reason we don't do alot of travel posts on fb is that many people we know can't travel because of health or wealth. We feel like we are flaunting our trips or maybe bragging a bit when we do. It might be we just humble, lol. We enjoy facetime with people we like and usually send vids or pics via private message.

Here at tug we could care less if we brag a bit. Just got back from a two week binge of Kihei and we are heading to Leavenworth, Cabo and Puerto Vallarta soon. Yup, about seven more weeks. :D I wrote that as humbly as I could, lol.

Bill

Last edited:

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago before home security systems were common, some people in the neighborhood who were robbed while they were away with their kids on spring break. They had their itinerary with their flights and hotel pinned up on a bulletin board and vacation days marked on a calendar hanging beside the bulletin board. The burglars knew they had a lot of time before the homeowners were home and apparently moved in, preparing and eating the homeowners food and using their kitchen while they very methodically went through every room in the house taking whatever struck their fancy. They packed everything in the home owners car in the garage and drove away before the owners returned.