• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smoke alarms in Timeshares

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We all have (I hope) smoke alarms in our homes and they are also required in hotels/motels and timeshares. How many of you test the alarm or even look to see if the green light is on when you stay in a timeshare? I think most people would take for granted that the maintenance staff would be on top of these things. Not always!

We just returned home from 3 different timeshare stays in Florida and had problems with the smoke alarm in each of our units at all 3 resorts. One resort was a major chain, the other 2 were smaller independent ones. The first week the alarm started beeping (in the middle of the night of course) so DH unplugged it until the morning when he called maintenance. The guy came over right away with new batteries. DH (being a firefighter) asked if they replace the batteries once or twice a year (twice is recommended where we live) and he said "oh no, we just replace them when they start to beep"! DH explained to him that with a weak battery the detector mechanism may not work as well and the beep may not be loud enough or long enough to alert people.

At our 2nd stay the detector seemed to be falling off the ceiling, it was hanging at a bit of an angle. DH went to push up on it to fasten it to the baseplate, but the whole thing came down in his hand and there was no battery in it! He called maintenance and when the guy came he said the cleaning staff had notified him the alarm was beeping but he hadn't gotten around to bringing new batteries over. When he returned with new batteries he found that the clips to hold them in was broken so he said he'd return with a new smoke alarm. About 30 mins later he returned with a new one but it was not the same make as the other 2. Since they were hard-wired together the stickers on the back (and in the package of the new one) all state that they must be all from the same manufacturer so they can 'talk' to each other in the event of smoke detection. The maintenance guy was not aware of that so off he went to buy 2 more alarms the same and then he replaced all 3 in our unit. He also said he would let the building management know as there may be other units with miss-matched alarms in the complex.

At our last stay there was 1 smoke alarm in the hallway between the bedroom, bathroom and living room. The alarm was visible from the bed and on the first morning we were there DH looked over at it and commented on how yellow the plastic housing was. He got up and pulled the alarm down to have a closer look. On the back was a sticker stating the alarm was manufactured in July of 2001 and should be replaced before July 2011. Yikes, over 8 years out of date!! DH took the alarm down to the front desk and asked to speak with the resort manager. He showed her his firefighter ID and showed her the smoke alarm dates, she was totally unaware they had an expiry date. She called the bldg. maintenance manager in who was also unaware. He said his staff test the alarms weekly and change the batteries twice a year. They have a contract with a company to come in to inspect the fire extinguishers but not the alarms. With the maintenance guy's approval, DH pulled the smoke alarm apart. The detector sensors were completely coated in dust and likely would take a long time, if at all, to detect any smoke! DH said he was sure the city building officials and the fire department would love to know about this situation but he wouldn't say anything at this point. He also told the manager if there was a fire and the place had out of date alarms they might have trouble collecting on any insurance for restoration as well as be liable to a fine from the fire department or city. The maintenance guy said he and his staff would start replacing the alarms immediately. We were there for another 6 days and didn't see any evidence of that happening. DH says he'll wait a couple of weeks then email the resort manager to ask if they were replaced or should he notify the local fire department or city building inspector.

It looks like inspecting the smoke alarms will be a part of DH's routine when we check-in to a timeshare in the future!

~Diane

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We all have (I hope) smoke alarms in our homes and they are also required in hotels/motels and timeshares. How many of you test the alarm or even look to see if the green light is on when you stay in a timeshare? I think most people would take for granted that the maintenance staff would be on top of these things. Not always!

We just returned home from 3 different timeshare stays in Florida and had problems with the smoke alarm in each of our units at all 3 resorts. One resort was a major chain, the other 2 were smaller independent ones. The first week the alarm started beeping (in the middle of the night of course) so DH unplugged it until the morning when he called maintenance. The guy came over right away with new batteries. DH (being a firefighter) asked if they replace the batteries once or twice a year (twice is recommended where we live) and he said "oh no, we just replace them when they start to beep"! DH explained to him that with a weak battery the detector mechanism may not work as well and the beep may not be loud enough or long enough to alert people.

At our 2nd stay the detector seemed to be falling off the ceiling, it was hanging at a bit of an angle. DH went to push up on it to fasten it to the baseplate, but the whole thing came down in his hand and there was no battery in it! He called maintenance and when the guy came he said the cleaning staff had notified him the alarm was beeping but he hadn't gotten around to bringing new batteries over. When he returned with new batteries he found that the clips to hold them in was broken so he said he'd return with a new smoke alarm. About 30 mins later he returned with a new one but it was not the same make as the other 2. Since they were hard-wired together the stickers on the back (and in the package of the new one) all state that they must be all from the same manufacturer so they can 'talk' to each other in the event of smoke detection. The maintenance guy was not aware of that so off he went to buy 2 more alarms the same and then he replaced all 3 in our unit. He also said he would let the building management know as there may be other units with miss-matched alarms in the complex.

At our last stay there was 1 smoke alarm in the hallway between the bedroom, bathroom and living room. The alarm was visible from the bed and on the first morning we were there DH looked over at it and commented on how yellow the plastic housing was. He got up and pulled the alarm down to have a closer look. On the back was a sticker stating the alarm was manufactured in July of 2001 and should be replaced before July 2011. Yikes, over 8 years out of date!! DH took the alarm down to the front desk and asked to speak with the resort manager. He showed her his firefighter ID and showed her the smoke alarm dates, she was totally unaware they had an expiry date. She called the bldg. maintenance manager in who was also unaware. He said his staff test the alarms weekly and change the batteries twice a year. They have a contract with a company to come in to inspect the fire extinguishers but not the alarms. With the maintenance guy's approval, DH pulled the smoke alarm apart. The detector sensors were completely coated in dust and likely would take a long time, if at all, to detect any smoke! DH said he was sure the city building officials and the fire department would love to know about this situation but he wouldn't say anything at this point. He also told the manager if there was a fire and the place had out of date alarms they might have trouble collecting on any insurance for restoration as well as be liable to a fine from the fire department or city. The maintenance guy said he and his staff would start replacing the alarms immediately. We were there for another 6 days and didn't see any evidence of that happening. DH says he'll wait a couple of weeks then email the resort manager to ask if they were replaced or should he notify the local fire department or city building inspector.

It looks like inspecting the smoke alarms will be a part of DH's routine when we check-in to a timeshare in the future!

~Diane
I work with our local fire department in a volunteer capacity, and I appreciate and respect your husband's service. I hope that he calls the local fire marshall and reports that you found alarms 8 years out of compliance, regardless of what the resort tells you was done.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't think about smoke detectors but I guess we should. What did happen to us was that I roasted a rack of lamb in the oven at Hyatt Pinon Pointe and the smoke detector went off.... I was embarrassed...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW told me that the one in the guest bedroom was chirping. I changed the battery, and within days, the one in our bedroom woke me chirping. I do usually at least look for the blinking red light in TSs & hotels, but that's about it. My bad.

Jim

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I always look at them in the timeshares We stay in and never had an issue. All were newer and working properly. I can see that it would be an issue at some places though.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Marriott’s Manor Club, in Williamsburg there are smoke alarms & carbon dioxide detectors in each bedroom, one in the living room area and one in the area between the second bedroom and the bath (it is in laundry rom area where the washer & dryer are located).
They are all hard wire with a battery backup system. The light is green.
When the alarm goes off in your unit, the front desk somehow is notified and you will received a phone call asking are you ok.

Smoke detectors are inspected annually at the Manor Club.

At home I have two smoke detectors in the bedroom areas , the kitchen and living room areas. Plus I have three (3) carbon dioxide detectors one in the bedroom areas, one in the garage where the gas furnace is located and one outside the garage area near the kitchen area.
All are batteries operated. Batteries are changed once per year. The carbon dioxide detectors are changed every ten years as recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm not too concerned about the safety issue regarding a fire at our timeshare. It could happen but the odds are very small. I do check the smoke detectors at places we stay for multiple days including our timeshares. I'm checking for cameras. The smoke detector is the perfect hiding spot. These cameras are getting very small and easy to purchase.

Bill

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ens-when-you-find-cameras-your-airbnb/585007/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...dden-camera-hotel-vacation-rental/3226247002/

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also check for small hidden cameras in corners and especially in the bathroom areas.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny, I try to look for cameras too. I also try to be aware of the nearest exit.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

~Diane

We sold window treatments for thirty years. Cliff can't sit in a restaurant, dentist office or timeshare without fussing with the blinds or draperies. Once at a B&B he asked for a screw driver and a step stool and fixed whatever the issue was in our room. B&B owner gifted us with a nice book on US historic B&Bs -- this was in pre-timeshare days and we made reservations at several of the homes in the book.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I also check for small hidden cameras in corners and especially in the bathroom areas.

I think anyone with cameras on us will die of boredom!!!!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven’t checked for a long time!
After we sold at Lakewood Resort in Osage Beach, they had a fire on check in evening from one of the electric fireplaces, the building burned down, and the insurance negotiation went on for years.