• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many up sell calls do you get a month from your timeshare or timeshare related companies?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Geez,

When I used to have timeshares, I used to get at least 10 calls a month from the timeshare company or RCI.

Very annoying...

The pitch varied. Here are some I remember:

1. The timeshare company wants to update me and tell me “what’s going on”. Always an up sell with a lure of a cheap vacation or cheesy trinket as bait.

2. The worst was RCI. I constantly received calls from them offering “cheap” cruises or added membership benefits for an added fee of course.

3. I would get the odd call from a scammer trying to “buy” my timeshare or sell my timeshare. Where they got my number is anyone’s guess.

4. Timeshare companies calling me to tell me I was scammed into my timeshare and they are here to rescue me by offering me a stupid add on or different benefit configuration for more money.

5. Credit Card companies saying they are “branded” with RCI or the timeshare company to give me goodies of a lifetime.

6. And my favourite...the dreaded resort calling me to tell me they are popping up the MF for MY BENEFIT and asking me what I think about that. Then, proceed to ask me if I want to buy more units from them at “foreclosed, default” rates.

OMG

I tell everyone of them to not call again. They did anyway.

So,

How many timeshare or timeshare related calls do you get on average per month and how do you handle them? Which calls are your...ahem...favourite?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Zero. Literally, I have never had any timeshare related calls. Ours are all resales so I don't know if that affected anything, and I don't believe that I ever gave RCI or II our number, or if I did, I didn't consent to being contacted. I am an email only kind of person, mostly because everything is in writing.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
3. I would get the odd call from a scammer trying to “buy” my timeshare or sell my timeshare. Where they got my number is anyone’s guess.

This has been discussed quite a bit here on TUG. A couple of possibilities are that, when you bought your TS and/or signed up for the exchange club such as RCI, you provided them with your contact information. It's likely that some current or former disgruntled employees have this information and are selling it on the side. These are either employees at the resort or at the exchange company.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We probably average 1 call a week, more right after I book any timeshares stay with RCI. I am sure they are selling members' names and phone numbers. How else would Spinnaker Resorts know that we had plans to go to Florida when we weren't staying at one of their resorts and haven't done so in over 5 years?
The calls that get me are the ones who say we 'purchased' a stay with them a year or 2 ago and haven't used it. Like we would put out $800. and then forget about it! They seem to be more of a travel club than a timeshare although the one yesterday was for a timeshare in Las Vegas.

~Diane

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I've owned Starwood/Vistana since 2007 and have never received a phone call from them.

Me too 2007, never received a call. And, I'm definitely OK with that.(In case VSE is reading this.:D)

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Zero
Have never received a call

We do get calls at the resorts if we don’t sign up for the update but we just unplug the room phones

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
None for me, ever. Thank goodness. I own at Vistana.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
None. Not an issue.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
2. The worst was RCI. I constantly received calls from them offering “cheap” cruises or added membership benefits for an added fee of course.

How many timeshare or timeshare related calls do you get on average per month and how do you handle them?

I do get a few calls from these two-bit travel companies saying that they are calling us because we stayed at one of their RCI or II resorts. This leads me to believe that someone at RCI was selling members' information on the side to scammers and previously-mentioned travel companies.

We don't receive these calls as often as some TUGgers are mentioning, maybe about once every two or three months. As for how I handle them, I tell them that I am not giving my credit card info to a total stranger who calls me. That usually ends the conversation.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I've owned Starwood/Vistana since 2007 and have never received a phone call from them.

Even though I've never received a call from Vistana, where I own, several times a year I receive a call from Hilton Grand Vacations and I've never stayed in one of their properties.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Duplicate post. Deleted

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
They are like Minnesota mosquitoes, they come in swarms. There will be a spate of them and then it will be quiet. If they offer dinner, I will take them up on it. It will usually end with an exasperated "Well why did you come here tonight?" and I will respond that they offered a free dinner and a show.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Once a qtr from MVC, only because I signed up for a promo years ago.

Lately the Exhange companies have been contacting me since I had issues w/ my II account.