• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying VS Renting Points: Why do you love DVC?

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Hi All,

We have been considering a DVC resale for about a year now. We have owned SBP (Vistana) owners for about 6 years and use it as a trader on Interval. It has worked out great for us but we want to think about adding since we don't have access to RCI to pick up SSR via a trade.

I am considering renting points in perpetuity VERSUS owning. We go to WDW about once every 12-18 months. This year we went twice but that was just a special treat!

Let's say I purchase Polynesian for $150/pt and pay their MFs (rounding it to $7/point for this post). My kids hopefully have at least a good 10 years left of traveling to WDW with us so let's say worst case, I sell it back out for $75/pt in 10 years (hopefully it retains more value than that and DVC ROFR's way higher but just for calculation purposes, please bear with me). Assuming time value of money is 0 (again, not realistic but just for quick and dirty calculations) - I'm paying $7.50/pt plus $7/pt so $14.50/pt per year versus $18/pt when I rent (through David's).

So if we own, it's still about $2,146 (148pts) for a week in a studio with fireworks view out of Poly or GF. This is versus buying an II getaway or something for say Sheraton Vistana for $700 for the week in a 1 or 2 bedroom unit.

The reason why I think DVC is superior and why we want to stay there (and pay more) versus paying less at other resorts are:
- monorail access
- the very convenient shuttle system for all the parks
- fireworks views out of our balcony
- the animals out of the balcony at AKL
- magical express and the handling of our luggage

Can you all tell me what I'm missing? What else? Why do you own at DVC even though it's significantly more expensive than other resorts? I love that DVC owners are so passionate.

Please help me decide before we spend $$ trying to rent. I don't want to waste the money renting once if I'm just going to turn around after our first stay and buy! THANKS!

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
other perks (which can come and go) currently involve things like:

-AP discounts
-onsite WDW fast pass booking at 60 days
-access to the Bay Lake Tower - Top of the World Lounge for MK fireworks
-Epcot lounge for free soft drinks and respite from the midday sun in central FL
-10% dining and shopping discounts
-pool hopping is an option (not a big deal for me)
-other membership "perks" like moonlight magic and similar events (a Frozen 2 preview this weekend) are theoretically nice (but I have been unable to book any so far, due to timing and extremely limited booking windows, so don't count on this

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
60 day fast passes
extra magic hours
free parking at the resorts and parks and airport transportation

at the biggest reasons we stay on property when we go to disney.

Some of the other items Charles lists are not available to resale buyers (which is really the best financial choice if buying IMHO) like epcot lounge, and dining discounts as well as the member perks like moonlight magic

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we had very good trips at 2BR TS near WDW for 5 years before we bought a resale DVC contract. What we love about DVC:
fabulous community halls with engaging activities for my kids. they're' just different form any other kids club (think daycare vs/ montessori-not exact but you get the idea).
buses everywhere--we didn't even have a car
fp at 60 days (didn't exist when we bought)
great pools--heated to decent temp in winter
good food courts
now that kids are older teens, we esp. love that they can stay out late and take a WDW bus back--no shuttle driver status for DH at midnight or later.
When we need a big space, we still get a 2 or 3 BR at Marriott or HGVC, but otherwise DVC rocks, IMHO.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Because I want to be in the disney bubble. We've been going to disneyland for 22 years, long before we had kids, and we know we'll continue to go after they've gone. We're on the west coast, so we own at grand californian. I don't want to wait in another line for the tram, walk through the long parking garage, wait for the shuttle, or make the trek through anaheim to get to my hotel. I want to walk directly to my disney room at the end of the night and when I wake up in the morning, I want to look outside my window and see I'm still in the disney bubble.

It took us a long time to get to this place to be able to afford such a luxury purchase. And yes, that's exactly what it is, it doesn't save me any money at all. But after 20 years of waiting in end of the night transportation lines, I was happy to say, I'm DONE with them!

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We own DVC to stay in the Disney bubble in Orlando. We treat the grand kids and family and friends with nights here or there - one of the teens from my church (who has suffered a lot due to her birth mother’s mental illness) hugged me and thanked me profusely for booking her family a few nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge during fall break. She said it was amazing and she absolutely loved it. I could not do things like that without DVC.

The bulk of our points are at SSR. I have been able to book Polynesian standard view studios easily at the 7 month window. Also have had great availability in 1 bedrooms for all resorts at the 7 month window. I am a big fan of Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando and we like to book it and tack on a few days at Disney with our DVC points.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the other items Charles lists are not available to resale buyers (which is really the best financial choice if buying IMHO) like epcot lounge, and dining discounts as well as the member perks like moonlight magic

Oops. Yes, I got caught up in the "why do I own?" question and not the "should the OP buy resale?" question...

It's really all about how important the onsite bubble is for you. It's much cheaper for me to stay for a week in a 2BR Marriott or Sheraton nearby than onsite in a studio (even at lower cost OKW) for 5 nights. If you are committed to staying onsite at least once a year in a moderate or deluxe, my historical advice is to buy DVC.

I would hold off a little to see if the new point charts for 2021 include higher per-night costs across the board. DVC management was threatening increases last year but held off. If they start increasing the point charts every year (assuming the change survives litigation), it will blow up any value proposition DVC still has.

If you don't already know, I would also add that you do need to plan well in advance whether renting or owning DVC. Booking at 11 months is often necessary during peak DVC booking season (for stays in Sept through mid-January or so). If you are traveling in the summer, you will find more options at 7 months out (but you should still plan to book exactly when the window opens, if possible).

Renting has a lot of limitations (no refunds along with early commitment) but ownership is increasingly risky. Take your time in deciding whether to commit or not...

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We've been owners for 20+ years, not as long as Charles but long enough to have amortized our buy-in and feel that we stay now for the cost of dues. So we plan to just go with the flow, as long as we can still book the DVC vacations we want, but I wouldn't say we're "enthusiastic" about our DVC - at least, we're not as enthusiastic as we used to be.

Over the years we've often suggested to families during casual conversations in line, etc., that they look into buying DVC, but I don't think we're going to do that anymore due to the changes DVC management is making or trying to make (as noted above by Charles), not to mention the cost of points both resale and direct. I too would recommend waiting until the 2021 points charts are released (they usually come out in late December or early January, must come out by late January when people can begin making reservations that include January 1, 2021) to see what they do. The bottom line is that I no longer trust them to act in best interests of the membership; there are too many conflicts of interest in the overall DVC organization.

While you're waiting for the new points charts and contemplating what to do, you might find the charts in this DIS thread useful. It's a historical look at booking patterns that can give you some idea of how easy it would be to book Poly at 7 months (owning elsewhere, like SSR, where the buy-in and member fees are cheaper) vs. at 11 months as a Poly owner. https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...tember-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/#post-59393062

And the 2020 member fees were just released too - find them, and discussions thereof, here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2020-dvc-annual-dues.3778630/

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Oops. Yes, I got caught up in the "why do I own?" question and not the "should the OP buy resale?" question...

It's really all about how important the onsite bubble is for you. It's much cheaper for me to stay for a week in a 2BR Marriott or Sheraton nearby than onsite in a studio (even at lower cost OKW) for 5 nights. If you are committed to staying onsite at least once a year in a moderate or deluxe, my historical advice is to buy DVC.

I would hold off a little to see if the new point charts for 2021 include higher per-night costs across the board. DVC management was threatening increases last year but held off. If they start increasing the point charts every year (assuming the change survives litigation), it will blow up any value proposition DVC still has.

If you don't already know, I would also add that you do need to plan well in advance whether renting or owning DVC. Booking at 11 months is often necessary during peak DVC booking season (for stays in Sept through mid-January or so). If you are traveling in the summer, you will find more options at 7 months out (but you should still plan to book exactly when the window opens, if possible).

Renting has a lot of limitations (no refunds along with early commitment) but ownership is increasingly risky. Take your time in deciding whether to commit or not...

Charles, mine was not a critical comment so much as a bit of additional info. BTW I agree that what DVC management did with Riviera resale restrictions leaves me feeling like I doubt I'd take a Riviera resale contract for free and under no circumstances would i suggest anyone buy one from disney. I'm a post 2016 pre 2019 resale buyer and I'm up about $10 a point on the transaction today were I to sell. My girls are all disney nuts so we go to WDW more often that our points allow so I trade in at least once a year. We generally want at least a 1 bedroom so some of the booking difficulties are mitigated since its much tighter if you want a studio and we are quite happy in SSR or AKL. However if DVC management manages to get that breakage fee nonsense into the points charts I may have to sell and rely on trading in when we want to go. Perhaps last years backlash was enough to stop the nonsense on wholesale messing with the points charts.

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Thanks for that! Out of @chalee94 's list, these are the most attractive ones to me:

Would we get those 3 on resale?

Thanks also to @chalee94 for the list!

60 day fast passes
extra magic hours
free parking at the resorts and parks and airport transportation

at the biggest reasons we stay on property when we go to disney.

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Thanks! Those are great reasons. I never thought about the autonomy it will give my kids when they're older. We have only done character dining (almost all of them) at the WDW resorts. I wasn't even aware they have food courts on site!

we had very good trips at 2BR TS near WDW for 5 years before we bought a resale DVC contract. What we love about DVC:
fabulous community halls with engaging activities for my kids. they're' just different form any other kids club (think daycare vs/ montessori-not exact but you get the idea).
buses everywhere--we didn't even have a car
fp at 60 days (didn't exist when we bought)
great pools--heated to decent temp in winter
good food courts
now that kids are older teens, we esp. love that they can stay out late and take a WDW bus back--no shuttle driver status for DH at midnight or later.
When we need a big space, we still get a 2 or 3 BR at Marriott or HGVC, but otherwise DVC rocks, IMHO.

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Thanks, that makes sense. We are in Colorado so I've considered Grand Californian too but I didn't want to pay the premium to only trade into FL resorts some years. GC would be a killer purchase if we planned on only staying at GC every year.

Also I'm not sure if we would continue going when the kids age out and who knows if we then all age back in with grandkids (decadesssss later haha!) So that's a good consideration point too, thanks!

Because I want to be in the disney bubble. We've been going to disneyland for 22 years, long before we had kids, and we know we'll continue to go after they've gone. We're on the west coast, so we own at grand californian. I don't want to wait in another line for the tram, walk through the long parking garage, wait for the shuttle, or make the trek through anaheim to get to my hotel. I want to walk directly to my disney room at the end of the night and when I wake up in the morning, I want to look outside my window and see I'm still in the disney bubble.

It took us a long time to get to this place to be able to afford such a luxury purchase. And yes, that's exactly what it is, it doesn't save me any money at all. But after 20 years of waiting in end of the night transportation lines, I was happy to say, I'm DONE with them!

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
THAT IS A GREAT POINT!! I never thought about that; thanks for bringing it to my attention. That is one hesitancy I have with any points-based program and not a deeded week program is when points are inflated! Hyatt is on our list of MAYBE ADD FOR FUTURE as well and I would never touch their Portfolio Points program for this very reason. I figure if we own a deeded week and points inflate, the points you own would also inflate.

So I remember asking a DVC booth person at WDW this question and their comment was that DVC wouldn't inflate the points chart but they would increase the $/pt over time. I found that to be reasonable but given the insider knowledge here, I'm so glad you guys brought it back up to my attention and consideration.

How is the DVC program as far as borrowing from future years or a temporary add if you're short like 1-10 points?

In this case I will def hold off at least until new chart is released. But even if so, like you all are saying, there's no guarantee they don't turn around in near future years and inflate the points chart. Does that have to be voted in by members or is that purely a DVC decision?

Also - yep I am well aware of the 7/11 month booking windows and how availability goes quickly especially for the prized ones and how some, if not home resort, are basically impossible even at the 7 month mark. Correct me if I'm wrong but it would be extremely tough/almost impossible to get GC, GF, AKL value @ the 7 month mark. Studios are generally tougher than 1/2/+bdrms.

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Those links were super helpful, thank you! Interesting about the 8% increase - that is HUGE! I actually had an 8% increase on my Vistana SBP this year too but that's after quite a few years of steady increases. Regardless though, ugh!

It's a bit disappointing to hear that DVC is no longer reputable for acting in member's best interests. I have always found that DVC owners are all sooo passionate about their ownership (compared to other owners I've met) and I always thought that part of it was how wonderful the overall DVC customer service is both on the backend and in the resorts.

As I wrote above, I will def wait til the 2021 points chart comes out to decide on a contract or not.

We've been owners for 20+ years, not as long as Charles but long enough to have amortized our buy-in and feel that we stay now for the cost of dues. So we plan to just go with the flow, as long as we can still book the DVC vacations we want, but I wouldn't say we're "enthusiastic" about our DVC - at least, we're not as enthusiastic as we used to be.

Over the years we've often suggested to families during casual conversations in line, etc., that they look into buying DVC, but I don't think we're going to do that anymore due to the changes DVC management is making or trying to make (as noted above by Charles), not to mention the cost of points both resale and direct. I too would recommend waiting until the 2021 points charts are released (they usually come out in late December or early January, must come out by late January when people can begin making reservations that include January 1, 2021) to see what they do. The bottom line is that I no longer trust them to act in best interests of the membership; there are too many conflicts of interest in the overall DVC organization.

While you're waiting for the new points charts and contemplating what to do, you might find the charts in this DIS thread useful. It's a historical look at booking patterns that can give you some idea of how easy it would be to book Poly at 7 months (owning elsewhere, like SSR, where the buy-in and member fees are cheaper) vs. at 11 months as a Poly owner. https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...tember-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/#post-59393062

And the 2020 member fees were just released too - find them, and discussions thereof, here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2020-dvc-annual-dues.3778630/

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
I was doing a decent job following along until this LOL. Lots of questions, please extend your patience :)

1. What did DVC management do with the Riviera resale restrictions?
2. When you say you go to WDW more often than your points allow so you trade in at least once a year, what do you mean you trade in? So you have some additional points you have access to? RCI?
3. What is the breakage fee nonsense?
4. Why do you think the resale capital cost has gone up $10/point the last 3 years? Macro Economy better? Less inventory? I read some past posts on BLT and they were using $90/pt in calculations. I was surprised to see how much it has gone up!
5. What was the backlash from last year?
6. What was the wholesale messing with points chart??

Thanks in advance!

Charles, mine was not a critical comment so much as a bit of additional info. BTW I agree that what DVC management did with Riviera resale restrictions leaves me feeling like I doubt I'd take a Riviera resale contract for free and under no circumstances would i suggest anyone buy one from disney. I'm a post 2016 pre 2019 resale buyer and I'm up about $10 a point on the transaction today were I to sell. My girls are all disney nuts so we go to WDW more often that our points allow so I trade in at least once a year. We generally want at least a 1 bedroom so some of the booking difficulties are mitigated since its much tighter if you want a studio and we are quite happy in SSR or AKL. However if DVC management manages to get that breakage fee nonsense into the points charts I may have to sell and rely on trading in when we want to go. Perhaps last years backlash was enough to stop the nonsense on wholesale messing with the points charts.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Thanks for that! Out of @chalee94 's list, these are the most attractive ones to me:

Would we get those 3 on resale?

Thanks also to @chalee94 for the list!
yes as well as airport transport and free parking

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I was doing a decent job following along until this LOL. Lots of questions, please extend your patience :)

1. What did DVC management do with the Riviera resale restrictions?
2. When you say you go to WDW more often than your points allow so you trade in at least once a year, what do you mean you trade in? So you have some additional points you have access to? RCI?
3. What is the breakage fee nonsense?
4. Why do you think the resale capital cost has gone up $10/point the last 3 years? Macro Economy better? Less inventory? I read some past posts on BLT and they were using $90/pt in calculations. I was surprised to see how much it has gone up!
5. What was the backlash from last year?
6. What was the wholesale messing with points chart??

Thanks in advance!
1 - If you buy a riviera contract resale you may only use it at riviera thats will really eliminate most of the value in the points system
2 - yes I own RCI points and use those to book SSR 1 beds
3 - While the total number of points sold at the resort is fixed the management co can and does realign them. up until last year if a room type was increased some place at a resort there was an equivalent reduction somewhere else to offset the increase. Last year te management co tried to increase the cost of both studios and 1 bedrooms and justified as a fee to the management co for breaking up a two bedroom. the effect was based on normal rental patterns for disney (lots of studios get booked) the total number of points to book the resort increased
4 - Disney increases prices regularly and the legacy resorts resale generally follow those increases
5 - the members threatened to sue and the management co backed off the proposed changes
6 - see item 3

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Awesome - that clarified it all. THANKS!

#3 is nuts. It's concerning that it was even proposed. I have heard about the points shift but did understand, as you wrote below, that total # of points at a resort should remain constant. I am shocked that they tried to go at it but increasing total # of points as a whole. AND JUSTIFIED THE EXTRA AS A FEE TO THE MGMT CO - WHAT?!??? :confused:

This area is one of concern to me for Poly as well. Their villas cost so many points and since the only other product are studios, I see the studios absorbing more of those points during realignment than any other resort where 1 bdrms would also bear the weight of 2bdrms and their relative unpopularity.

1 - If you buy a riviera contract resale you may only use it at riviera thats will really eliminate most of the value in the points system
2 - yes I own RCI points and use those to book SSR 1 beds
3 - While the total number of points sold at the resort is fixed the management co can and does realign them. up until last year if a room type was increased some place at a resort there was an equivalent reduction somewhere else to offset the increase. Last year te management co tried to increase the cost of both studios and 1 bedrooms and justified as a fee to the management co for breaking up a two bedroom. the effect was based on normal rental patterns for disney (lots of studios get booked) the total number of points to book the resort increased
4 - Disney increases prices regularly and the legacy resorts resale generally follow those increases
5 - the members threatened to sue and the management co backed off the proposed changes
6 - see item 3

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You could still just buy a trader and trade into SSR as a guarantee (it really is almost a guarantee for almost every week of the year with an ongoing search). You get all of the benefits of owning, especially now that they took away so many benefits of resale, anyway.

I did advise our kids to buy a small contract retail because they can use those benefits. They love Disney cruises for their little girl, and they get AP's most years. I have no idea if they would even consider buying anything resale.

I love DVC because I can book when I want, even at 7 months out, and I can rent my points for a good deal over MF's. But I also paid $50 per point resale about 10 years ago.

Last edited:

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Awesome - that clarified it all. THANKS!

#3 is nuts. It's concerning that it was even proposed. I have heard about the points shift but did understand, as you wrote below, that total # of points at a resort should remain constant. I am shocked that they tried to go at it but increasing total # of points as a whole. AND JUSTIFIED THE EXTRA AS A FEE TO THE MGMT CO - WHAT?!??? :confused:

This area is one of concern to me for Poly as well. Their villas cost so many points and since the only other product are studios, I see the studios absorbing more of those points during realignment than any other resort where 1 bdrms would also bear the weight of 2bdrms and their relative unpopularity.
I think with poly, since its all studios and bungalows and there is nothing to lock off the only thing (and in my mind a likely change) is points for the bungalows go down a bit and studios go up a bit but the management co has less opportunity to play there. As a result if you wanted to buy one now poly has little real risk regarding points inflation. I've heard that the bungalows book slowly due to the high cost and that has been a driver of points reallocation. The purchase advice you usually get is to buy 10% to 15% more points than you plan to used based on current point charts to ensure you will be able to book the vacations you want. I have a fair number of points and I generally stay in 1 bed rooms but I find I could use more. I know I sound like I might be unhappy but the issue is that DVC was nothing like other timeshares and many of the noises coming out of disney make it feel like its becoming a "normal" timeshare

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Personally, it seemed like people freaked out about the point allocation more than seemed "appropriate." Everyone's always known the points can be reallocated, so the advice has always been to buy a little more points than you think you'll need. I can kinda understand if you pinched your pennies to buy exactly 1 week in an AKV value studio during choice season, and the charts changed. But that was a gamble purchase, and if you're that tight you didn't buy some buffer points, maybe this is not quite the luxury purchase for you? :shrug: So one's own personal finances and willingness to gamble should be taken into consideration.

You can buy up to 24 "one time use points" per year for currently $19 per point, but they can only be purchased over the phone within 7 months. So if you're trying for a tough reservation that books up in seconds, there's no chance of buying OTU points for it because those have to be in hand when booking. Everyone that booked online with their own points will likely beat you.

The resale value of the original 14 resorts is very good, however, so if you purchased a resale contract at one of the more reasonably-priced resorts and was willing to stay where available, you could recoup your money and then some 10 years down the road when you no longer want to vacation there. Disney also has a healthy rental market at the moment, so you could rent your points out during years you don't want to use it if you want to hang on until you have grandkids.

If you have to have the disney bubble, it think a DVC purchase is worth it. If you're just fine off-site, just rent when you want a change.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I think DVC got a lot of backlash and reverted back to 2019 allocation in the end. Only a few resorts which had fewer studios and 1BRs were affected, I believe. AKV did not change.

Last edited:

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
OP here. (Not an owner...yet but) I wouldn't be upset about a points reallocation since that is always a possibility but I think I would take exception to a reallocation that resulted in an increase in total points per resort post reallocation. Isn't that what people were mad about and not the reallocation itself? I have no idea - just learned about the reallocation issue and trying to learn more about what went on.

Thanks!

Personally, it seemed like people freaked out about the point allocation more than seemed "appropriate." Everyone's always known the points can be reallocated, so the advice has always been to buy a little more points than you think you'll need. I can kinda understand if you pinched your pennies to buy exactly 1 week in an AKV value studio during choice season, and the charts changed. But that was a gamble purchase, and if you're that tight you didn't buy some buffer points, maybe this is not quite the luxury purchase for you? :shrug: So one's own personal finances and willingness to gamble should be taken into consideration.

You can buy up to 24 "one time use points" per year for currently $19 per point, but they can only be purchased over the phone within 7 months. So if you're trying for a tough reservation that books up in seconds, there's no chance of buying OTU points for it because those have to be in hand when booking. Everyone that booked online with their own points will likely beat you.

The resale value of the original 14 resorts is very good, however, so if you purchased a resale contract at one of the more reasonably-priced resorts and was willing to stay where available, you could recoup your money and then some 10 years down the road when you no longer want to vacation there. Disney also has a healthy rental market at the moment, so you could rent your points out during years you don't want to use it if you want to hang on until you have grandkids.

If you have to have the disney bubble, it think a DVC purchase is worth it. If you're just fine off-site, just rent when you want a change.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
take a look at this thread on DISboard on the topic.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wondering-about-the-lock-off-premium.3144772/#post-60080863

I'm happy with my resale DVC contract and tend to agree with JulieAB that the conversation generated more noise than its worth but as a 2nd class marriott resale owner I really did not want to see DVC move in Marriott's direction (I am happy with my Marriott as well but I "bought it" very cheap and knew I was second class going in). When I bought my resale DVC contract I spent a bit of money and I felt the difference between resale and direct was minor and not really important to me. I'd hate to see a trend where that difference moved in Marriotts direction. Because one of the reasons I felt OK spending some real cash was I felt like there was a real chance I'd preserve much of the value I put in were I to sell in 10 years. If that starts to change the finance guy in me will likely swap into some more cheap marriott or hilton resale contracts and miss out on the bubble experience when I can't trade into SSR via RCI

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Everyone's always known the points can be reallocated, so the advice has always been to buy a little more points than you think you'll need.

The issue was not that they simply reallocated points. They've done that in the past - increased weekday points costs with corresponding weekend points cost for the same size unit, divided SSR into Preferred and Standard areas with reallocations of points costs for each size unit, etc. The issue with the initial 2020 points charts was that they increased points costs for studios and 1 bedrooms and decreased 2 bedrooms, and that violated the POS documents not to mention the advertising materials from past years, which always stated that points for a given size unit could be reallocated but did not allow points to be reallocated from one size unit to another. DVC's claim that 1 bedroom units were increased because they were in such high demand compared to 2 bedroom units was laughable!

take a look at this thread on DISboard on the topic.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wondering-about-the-lock-off-premium.3144772/#post-60080863

I'm happy with my resale DVC contract and tend to agree with JulieAB that the conversation generated more noise than its worth but as a 2nd class marriott resale owner I really did not want to see DVC move in Marriott's direction (I am happy with my Marriott as well but I "bought it" very cheap and knew I was second class going in). When I bought my resale DVC contract I spent a bit of money and I felt the difference between resale and direct was minor and not really important to me. I'd hate to see a trend where that difference moved in Marriotts direction. Because one of the reasons I felt OK spending some real cash was I felt like there was a real chance I'd preserve much of the value I put in were I to sell in 10 years. If that starts to change the finance guy in me will likely swap into some more cheap marriott or hilton resale contracts and miss out on the bubble experience when I can't trade into SSR via RCI

I think that the reason the points charts reverted to 2019 was because of the noise and also the letters/emails that DVC received that led to conversations with DVC officials (Yvonne Chang in particular). Now that they've had a year to review and revise and set their talking points, I think many of us are waiting with some degree of angst to see what the 2021 charts look like.

I do believe the direct vs. resale trend is moving in the Marriott direction, although I also believe it remains to be seen whether when Reflections goes on sale DVC creates a DVC 2 within which Riviera and Reflections and future resorts can trade (whether direct or resale) but only direct points can trade to DVC 1 (the legacy 14) and whether they also impose some additional trading restrictions between the legacy 14 and DVC 2 resorts that affect resale and possibly also direct buyers. The way the Riviera contracts are written leads me to believe they have full powers to do whatever they want (i.e., whatever they believe will make them the most money) with Riviera, Reflections and any new resorts going forward.