• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did the free tsa precheck go away ?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I noticed on our last flights that we didn't get a free tsa precheck with Alaska Airlines like we usually do. Is this still available as free ?

Bill

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My sister got it today on Jet Blue

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have not gotten it on Delta for the last year for free and I fly them often for work

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we also flew Jet Blue from Richmond,VA to Florida and we had TSA precheck.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We ended up paying for Global Entry, which includes PreCheck, a few years back. We had been getting the free PreCheck pretty regularly, but then it seemed that one of us would get it, and the other wouldn't.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me I read somewhere that the free TSAPre would be phased out after an introductory period. I went with the 'Known Traveler' vesion when my credit card offered to pay for it. Now I have it and DW doesn't. We fly next week, so I'll post if I get Pre and DW has to go through the ordeal. She'll have wheelchair service and those pushers get pretty much preferance anyway.

Welcome to the 'post 9/11 travel world'. Just when you think you know how the game is played, somebody moves the goalposts.

Jim

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had been getting it for free until our last trip last month. Neither of us got it upon flying out and then I was the only one to get it flying back home. We asked about this at the airport and were told it was random. So I think we will go ahead and pay for it before our next airplane trip.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We had been getting it for free until our last trip last month. Neither of us got it upon flying out and then I was the only one to get it flying back home. We asked about this at the airport and were told it was random. So I think we will go ahead and pay for it before our next airplane trip.
And even if you pay for it, that doesn't insure you'll get it. Our dd has Global Entry and there have been several times she hasn't gotten PreCheck. When you make your reservation you need to be very sure your KTN is in your profile AND on your reservation.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
It seems to me we always both get it, or neither do (figured they could tell the tickets were bought together). In any case I have to watch Cliff like a hawk or he'll wander away leaving things behind, so I try to stick close to him. He has always been this way (but seems to be worse now) and I've always said "no one will we ever be able to tell when you start to lose your grip because you never had it in the first place!" Even when he was a little boy he'd be sent to the store for milk and come back with bread.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
So what do you get when you are tsa approved ? Is it a card you flash at the tsa precheck line ?

Bill

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always got it, and last two trips no. Bummer, it helped a lot

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
So what do you get when you are tsa approved ? Is it a card you flash at the tsa precheck line ?

Bill
Nope. TSA PreCheck is printed on your boarding pass. That is what gets you into the TSA PreCheck line. That is why you need to make sure your KTN (Known Traveler Number) is in your profile for the airline AND on your reservation.

Here is what it looks like for United.
boardingpass3jpg-fbd73f066b687469.jpg

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Just because you have access to it, it is random that you may be opted out for a particular flight.

I have not seen this happen to me recently, but when I was flying a lot I periodically did not get the TSA Precheck option even though I am eligible.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill
When you pass the interview, you'll get a Known Traveler Number. Make sure you have that in your profile with the airline, and that it's on your reservation, then it should be noted- like in Luanne's post #12.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Are y'all saying that a person who has went through the process of securing TSA precheck might NOT get that designation on their travels?
I have never heard of that and cannot see how it could happen as long as your travel reservation has your known traveler number (and that number is correct)....

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a charge to get a known traveler number?

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a charge ($100) when you get Global Entry which includes TSEPre, and they assign you a KTN.

When DW and I went on a Med cruise five years ago, we got TSAPre for free in one direction but not in the other, which seemed curiously random. I didn't think too much of it though, until I went on a tour of Israel a couple of years ago. On the way back, we transited through Toronto where we went through both Canadian and US Customs (CPB). A few of the tour group members had Global Entry and sailed right through CPB. Even those who didn't have GE (the majority of the group) got through fairly quickly.

I, OTOH, got randomly selected for extensive screening and questioning (starting by having to wait in a loooong line with foreign passport holders), which delayed me by about an hour and 15 minutes, long after the whole rest of the group had passed through, had lunch and settled in at the gate. I determined right then that I would get GE before my next international trip. No more of that nonsense.

Had my interview and got approved two days ago.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
It is somewhat random for those with GE and Nexus. I've had myself and four kids get the pre-check with my spouse not getting it in Orlando a few years ago (we all have Nexus). 95% of the time I get it but I didn't for some reason coming back from Detroit last week (southbound I did have it on my boarding card - but it doesn't help as there is no pre-check lane in YYZ).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there a charge to get a known traveler number?

TSA precheck is $85 and GE is $100 for five years (you can also get it with Nexus for $50 for 5 years). Some credit cards will reimburse the GE application fee.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Are y'all saying that a person who has went through the process of securing TSA precheck might NOT get that designation on their travels?
I have never heard of that and cannot see how it could happen as long as your travel reservation has your known traveler number (and that number is correct)....
As I said it has happened to our dd a few times. And yes, her KTN was where it should be.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
As I said it has happened to our dd a few times. And yes, her KTN was where it should be.
Wow, that is just strange. Did your DD attempt to find out why this occurred?
The wife and I went through the Nexus process and we have always been TSA Pre Check during our travels. I will not be a happy camper if our upcoming trip to Arizona does not have TSA Pre Check status - especially on the return leg since we will be traveling during the Thanksgiving holidays...

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The wife and I went through the Nexus process and we have always been TSA Pre Check during our travels. I will not be a happy camper if our upcoming trip to Arizona does not have TSA Pre Check status - especially on the return leg since we will be traveling during the Thanksgiving holidays...

You'll be glad to know that if you are flying out of the PHX airport in Arizona that it was just ranked the number one airport in the US by the Wall Street Journal. The TSA checkpoints were one reason cited.

If you are crossing an international border then I would recommend using your Nexus card to check in with the airline rather than your passport (you'll have to enter your KTN twice) - if the check in agent looks at you funny - insist they use it rather than the passport. I've found that sometimes using a passport doesn't link to the pre check system as well as using the Nexus card does (I once called air canada after doing a mobile check-in in PHX with my passport to offload me after I didn't get precheck with my passport - I then had them check me in with my Nexus and it worked perfectly). Just a note that it is a good practice to bring your passport with you when flying just in case an ignorant CBP agent asks to see it when using the Global Entry machines (your Nexus card will work in the pre-clearance GE machines as an alternative to your passport).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The first time it happened she asked the TSA agent, he referred her back to the airline. When she asked the airline they had no idea as they could see her KTN in her profile. I don't think it's happened to her recently.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It is clearly documented when you apply for TSA Pre or Global Entry that you are not guaranteed to receive TSAPre for every flight. It has always been this way.

Direct from the TSA Precheck FAQ:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequent...-eligible-am-i-guaranteed-expedited-screening

Kurt