• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did the free tsa precheck go away ?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I fly Southwest often and almost always find the free TSA precheck indication on my ticket. Have never paid for it.
You are lucky.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Are y'all saying that a person who has went through the process of securing TSA precheck might NOT get that designation on their travels?
I have never heard of that and cannot see how it could happen as long as your travel reservation has your known traveler number (and that number is correct)....
DW and I have TSA pre-check. Since obtaining it has always been there. I fly quite a bit - I'm Alaska MVP Gold, and this year I'm going to make 75K MVP.

There have been occasions when I have been randomly selected for more detailed screening. This has always occurred in the pre-check line when pre-check has been open.

When pre-check is closed, everyone goes through normal screening, except I usually get a card that allows me to keep my shoes on. One of those times I was randomly selected for more detailed screening.

AFAIK, if you have a KTN, and you provide the KTN to the airline, you should get a pre-check pass.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
AFAIK, if you have a KTN, and you provide the KTN to the airline, you should get a pre-check pass.
And I will say again, it's not guaranteed and it's possible you may not.

Dh and I have gotten PreCheck every time we've flown since we got Global Entry, dd has not.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Wow, that is just strange. Did your DD attempt to find out why this occurred?
The wife and I went through the Nexus process and we have always been TSA Pre Check during our travels. I will not be a happy camper if our upcoming trip to Arizona does not have TSA Pre Check status - especially on the return leg since we will be traveling during the Thanksgiving holidays...
Happy camper or not, the security process (as crappy as it can be) is dependent on the ability to randomly change the processes, including those special vip pathways.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you live close to a Canadian POE, go for Nexus instead. Cheaper and you get the same KTN that is eligible for Pre Check.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Best $85 we ever spent (even our teen has it). We had trouble in the beginning until we realized we have to make sure our middle names are on our tickets, then we always get precheck. There was one time in Hawaii, maybe it was Lihue, where they didn't have a separate precheck line and we had to go through the regular. They let us keep our liquids in the bags, but ALL our electronics had to come out and that was a big pain. No scanner though, which is the main reason I got it in the first place.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just because you have access to it, it is random that you may be opted out for a particular flight.

I have not seen this happen to me recently, but when I was flying a lot I periodically did not get the TSA Precheck option even though I am eligible.
This happened to my DD. When we arrived at the airport She showed the agent her global entry card and they added it to her boarding pass.

The only two times I have not gotten it was when I got the dreaded “SSSS” designation and than all bets are off.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you live close to a Canadian POE, go for Nexus instead. Cheaper and you get the same KTN that is eligible for Pre Check.
And you are still subject to the same "rules" meaning it doesn't guarantee you'll get PreCheck every time.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This happened to my DD. When we arrived at the airport She showed the agent her global entry card and they added it to her boarding pass.
Your dd was lucky. When my dd tried this and showed her card the TSA agent said she'd have to go back to the United counter. At that point she decided just to wait in the regular security line.

The second time, when she tried at the ticket counter to get them to change the boarding pass, they couldn't do it either, even though they could see her KTN on her profile.

Both of these happened at the Albuquerque airport, we don't know if that had anything to do with it.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I fly Southwest often and almost always find the free TSA precheck indication on my ticket. Have never paid for it.

We haven't paid any special fees, and we get Pre-Check quite often. Always a disappointment when there is no pre-check line. I wondered if Cliff's "advanced age" did that for us. Of course my cane is good for the early boarding queue, but not so good for exit row seats (although I guarantee I'm stronger and can move faster than the tiny, frail octogenarian woman we saw seated in that row earlier this year; I was sure they would move her, but they didn't).

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Your dd was lucky. When my dd tried this and showed her card the TSA agent said she'd have to go back to the United counter. At that point she decided just to wait in the regular security line.

The second time, when she tried at the ticket counter to get them to change the boarding pass, they couldn't do it either, even though they could see her KTN on her profile.

Both of these happened at the Albuquerque airport, we don't know if that had anything to do with it.
DD did it a5 the check in counter with the Delta rep at JFK. I guess you never know.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well not only did I not get tsa orecheck the last two times, but was called back to get my shoes off. Hey, I am 75

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
DW and I first got precheck back when it first started and they just enrolled people from frequent flyer lists. We have gotten it on every flight but one since then.

I notice that sometimes the PreCheck line is longer than the standard one, but it usually moves faster.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Well not only did I not get tea orecheck the last two times, but was called back to get my shoes off. Hey, I am 75
That's not supposed to happen (the shoe thing). But my motto is "Never argue with a TSA agent".

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We ended out paying for it after I started traveling more for work. My credit card pays for it now. After having it now, I would pay for it even if I flew a few times a year. It’s dry convenient and we have been lucky and have always gotten it since we bought it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We ended out paying for it after I started traveling more for work. My credit card pays for it now. After having it now, I would pay for it even if I flew a few times a year. It’s dry convenient and we have been lucky and have always gotten it since we bought it.
I imagine that PreCheck line at the Molokai airport gets pretty busy. ;)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have had a total and thorough pat down the last two trips. In addition, they went through my luggage, my sleep machine, my wallet, swabbed all my electronics. I went from tsa precheck to this

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I imagine that PreCheck line at the Molokai airport gets pretty busy. ;)

:):)
Only when you fly Hawaiian. That’s why we fly Mokulele or Makani Kai, no TSA. We’re flying Mokulele Thanksgiving week and we’re bringing our turkey packed in our carryon. :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
i have had a total and thorough pat down the last two trips. In addition, they went through my luggage, my sleep machine, my wallet, swabbed all my electronics. I went from tsa precheck to this
Did the pat down happen after you went through the screening? That can happen even with PreCheck. I've been pulled aside a couple of times for a more thorough check after going through the scanner.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did the pat down happen after you went through the screening? That can happen even with PreCheck. I've been pulled aside a couple of times for a more thorough check after going through the scanner.
Yes I alert, a very thorough pat down, all my things out on the conveyor belt, and my husband still on the other side of security walking in circles. Wasn’t pretty

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes I alert, a very thorough pat down, all my things out on the conveyor belt, and my husband still on the other side of security walking in circles. Wasn’t pretty
Yep, as I said this can happen to you even if you DO have PreCheck.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew down to Florida from Buffalo, last night. Our flights were paid for, using DH’s Southwest Rapid Rewards points. I got TSA pre-check printed on my boarding pass, but he didn’t. Last trip we took, using my points, He got it and I didn’t.

Dori

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We just renewed our Global entry memberships...for no additional charge. Our United Mileage Plus card paid for mine, our Bonvoy (formerly SPG) Amex card paid for my wife's. They will do this for us once every 4 years.