• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Real ID is Nearly Here, and You Can't Fly Home Without it

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got tired of waiting for my (sometimes) backward state to get around to offering Real ID on Drivers' Licenses, so I got a Passport Card that functions perfectly well. Problem Solved. FWIW, they've finally implemented it, so the next time I renew my DL the star will be on it. Whooppee!

Jim

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dh and I will be getting our real ID driver's licenses next year. I just hope they've worked out all of the bugs before then. We both have passports, and pretty much use them for all travel at this point anyway.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing lots of people forget when applying for Real ID is the 'proof of residency' requirement. They show up with a passport or Birth Certificate, but don't have proof of residency. People- like me- pay bills online, so simply don't have the water or utility bill or the bill is in the spouse's name. Well, something nearly everyone has with them that shows residence is the auto insurance card that's in the glove box of your car.

Jim

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing lots of people forget when applying for Real ID is the 'proof of residency' requirement. They show up with a passport or Birth Certificate, but don't have proof of residency.

That was me last week. I went to get my license renewed, had my passport but didn't realize the residency or social security number requirement. Luckily, I work next door to the DMV, was able to print off my W-2 from last year and went back and got my new license.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We are going to the DMV after 4pm one day next month. Hmm, typing this made me think to make an appointment even if we are going late in the day. No parking in the morning last December when I renewed my license a month before they started issuing Real IDs. Of course everyone who got them early then had to go back or mail in their proof of residency because they didn't get processed correctly.
Good point about auto insurance card -- I'm on all the utilities leaving Cliff in the lurch on that requirement.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
One thing lots of people forget when applying for Real ID is the 'proof of residency' requirement. They show up with a passport or Birth Certificate, but don't have proof of residency. People- like me- pay bills online, so simply don't have the water or utility bill or the bill is in the spouse's name. Well, something nearly everyone has with them that shows residence is the auto insurance card that's in the glove box of your car.

Jim
My DH renewed his two weeks ago. Of course he didn't read the paperwork, just went on my comment that he needed his social security card and passport. When he got to the DMV they wanted proof of residency. He ended up using the Drivers license renewal paperwork that the DMV sent him as his proof of residency. Worked out for him, but the DMV employees weren't sure if that was compliant or not. One of them finally decided that "Well, we sent it to him so it should work has proof of residence." Sound logic to me! :D

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
California DMV has a very useful checklist on line. Spouse and I had all our documents and were in and out in less than 40 minutes. Would have been even quicker if I had done the application on line from home.

The closer to the deadline (Oct 2020) the more hectic it is likely to get.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Jim
Each states' motor vehicle department should have on their website exactly what is required for a real id.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Colorado has had compliant licenses for several years, and I honestly never remember having to produce any extra documentation when I have renewed my license (online, the last two times). No trips to the DMV for me! :whooopie:

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Colorado has had compliant licenses for several years, and I honestly never remember having to produce any extra documentation when I have renewed my license (online, the last two times). No trips to the DMV for me! :whooopie:

Kurt
Well, if you've been compliant for years there should be no reason to provide additional information.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, if you've been compliant for years there should be no reason to provide additional information.
My point is that I don't remember ever providing the additional information that some of you are talking about. 30+ years ago I moved to Colorado, and the only thing I had to do to get my license is to provide my previous license (MN) and take a written test. Since then, I have never had to provide any kind of proof of residency, etc.

Kurt

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Jim

My State Farm auto insurance card does not have my address. It does show I have Louisiana insurance but I'm not sure that is enough.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Real ID is Nearly Here, and You Can't Fly Home Without it.

I really get mad at click-bait headlines like this. I just disabused a relative of this mis-impression just a few days ago.

The simple fact is that it's absolutely false that you can't fly home without it. Yes, you can't fly with an old-style DL. But you can use: a passport, a Global Entry card, military ID, and I'm not sure what other official ID. You certainly aren't required to have a Real-ID qualified Drivers License.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I really get mad at click-bait headlines like this. I just disabused a relative of this mis-impression just a few days ago.

The simple fact is that it's absolutely false that you can't fly home without it. Yes, you can't fly with an old-style DL. But you can use: a passport, a Global Entry card, military ID, and I'm not sure what other official ID. You certainly aren't required to have a Real-ID qualified Drivers License.

The headline is not click-bait. It doesn't say anything about a drivers license. All those other IDs you listed are considered Real-ID compliant IDs.

Brett

Reaction score

no but those without a current passport or military ID and still using the old drivers license will not be able to fly after Oct 2020
I got my "real" ID drivers license so I'm good to go

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will obtain mines in February 2020 and The Commander-In-Chief in August 2020. We will both beat the October 2020 deadline. :thumbup:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Yes, and that was stated in the article.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing important about the "Real ID" is not only will it help you fly, but it will be your ticket of admission into Federal Buildings.

I am not sure exactly when they plan to implement the "Real ID for Federal Building admission" but trust me it is coming and this "could" be an issue for folks who wish to visit a Social Security Office....

My advice to anyone is to get it sooner rather than later, and be prepared for the changes beginning to be implemented starting later next year in 2020.

By the way, all these changes are being implemented as a direct or indirect result of what happened in this country on 9/11/2001. How simple things used to be prior to 9/11/2001 (remember how you used to able to wait for your family and friends at the arrival gate at the airport?).

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
My point is that I don't remember ever providing the additional information that some of you are talking about. 30+ years ago I moved to Colorado, and the only thing I had to do to get my license is to provide my previous license (MN) and take a written test. Since then, I have never had to provide any kind of proof of residency, etc.

Kurt

More than likely your DL is NOT Real ID compliant even if your state is. In California a Real ID compliant DL has a golden bear w a star in it on the top right corner. I did a little checking and apparently it's the star that is universal (and the bear is unique to California).

You don't HAVE to get Real ID but if you DO want it you HAVE TO go in person and go through the specific Real ID process.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More than likely your DL is NOT Real ID compliant even if your state is. In California a Real ID compliant DL has a golden bear w a star in it on the top right corner. I did a little checking and apparently it's the star that is universal (and the bear is unique to California).

You don't HAVE to get Real ID but if you DO want it you HAVE TO go in person and go through the specific Real ID process.
Nope, mine is definitely compliant (has the * in the corner and everything). AFAIK, all Colorado licenses have been Real ID compliant for many years.

ETA: CO has been issuing Real ID compliant licenses since 2012.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/real-id-and-colorado

From this site: "please note that all Colorado driver licenses and ID cards, except CO-RCSA credentials, have been REAL ID compliant since 2012."

Kurt

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we went for my husband’s id, we could not find his social security card. I was told by people around me (it is always a three hour wait) that they cannot compel you to show the card. We filled out a form declaring his Social security number, and that was accepted.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

Ooooo-Rah...I was about to write this post!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ooooo-Rah...I was about to write this post!
Yeah, I was also going to write this post...............until I read the article.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have a friend who recently could not get her real ID and it had something to do with her marriage license. It was apparently never recorded - 35 years ago. I'm not sure how they are getting around that.