• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Convert fixed week to points without points purchase.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I’m getting conflicting answers from Wyndham on this one. Of the 9 people I spoke to, 6 said you could convert a fixed week for just the $2,395 fee and three said you can’t. I spoke with telesales, Owner Care, and title. Each had at least one person who said you could do it without a points purchase. Of those that said yes, no one could agree on who would do it, but most said telesales. However, telesales said they don’t do it. I spoke to a timeshare broker who said he had an owner do this about 3 months ago. So it was fairly recent. Unfortunately he couldn’t remember the owners name. Just that she did the conversion through telesales. Anyone done this recently? Feel free to PM me if you have the name of someone who knows how to do it.

Yes, I know resale converted fixed weeks don’t count towards VIP.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No one has reported converting with a fee and no points purchase in at least 10 years on TUG. I believe even when it was done you had to be coded as the original owner of the deeded wyndham week.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
No one has reported converting with a fee and no points purchase in at least 10 years on TUG. I believe even when it was done you had to be coded as the original owner of the deeded wyndham week.

Just because it’s not on tug, doesn’t mean it still doesn’t happen. If it has been 10 years, I would think the standard line would be that you have to buy more points. Or, at the very least, the majority would say you have to buy points. However, the majority say you don’t have to.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what the majority of Wyndham personnel say. The fact that they can't agree amongst themselves puts up a big red CAUTION sign.

The best proof is someone saying they actually did it. That's what we haven't seen.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what the majority of Wyndham personnel say. The fact that they can't agree amongst themselves puts up a big red CAUTION sign.

The best proof is someone saying they actually did it. That's what we haven't seen.

It’s very possible that it’s not possible to convert without buying more points. I sent an email to Michael Browns office. If anything, it will highlight the fact that there is no clear guidance on the subject and they need to get everyone on the same page. If they don’t want people to be able to convert without buying more points, they need to make sure everyone knows you cannot do it without buying points. If there are special circumstances where they will allow it, they need to say that and direct them to some place that knows what those special circumstances are. It’s not difficult to write up a brief white paper that everyone can get access too. Maybe the email will help, maybe it won’t. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, maybe I won’t. Who knows.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It’s very possible that it’s not possible to convert without buying more points. I sent an email to Michael Browns office. If anything, it will highlight the fact that there is no clear guidance on the subject and they need to get everyone on the same page. If they don’t want people to be able to convert without buying more points, they need to make sure everyone knows you cannot do it without buying points. If there are special circumstances where they will allow it, they need to say that and direct them to some place that knows what those special circumstances are. It’s not difficult to write up a brief white paper that everyone can get access too. Maybe the email will help, maybe it won’t. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, maybe I won’t. Who knows.

I applaud the effort!

But getting all Wyndham sales people on the same page will be like herding chickens. On horseback.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
30 odd years ago I converted a fixed week I bought resale at Fox Run after they left Wyndham and Wyndham pushed points conversion without a purchase.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I tried to chase this option down for myself several months ago now and ran into so many roadblocks and lack of clear answers, while never finding anyone that, after validating the Wyndham account data, actually did what they claimed. I agree with @chapjim - getting answers from Wyndham is like herding cats. :)

That said, if anyone can do it, @Richelle can! :thumbup::cheer:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I would love to know if this is possible. Keep us posted.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I would love to know if this is possible. Keep us posted.

Will do. I’m not expecting a response back soon. Whoever is working on this is probably getting the same run around I did. It might take them awhile.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will do. I’m not expecting a response back soon. Whoever is working on this is probably getting the same run around I did. It might take them awhile.
Good luck trying to get a answer. My experience with Wyndham is they will call and give you a answer but never put it down in writing or a email reply. Hard to hit a moving target that changes depending on who you speak with.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Final answer. Yes, you can convert a fixed week to points without buying more points. The fee is $2,395. I spoke with one of the Owner Care managers over the phone and he said he would email me a recap of our conversation so I would have it in writing. I about fainted. Lol. He was really helpful. He said Owner Care and title work together to do it. He also said he would make sure his people got a refresher course on it because it’s not something they do often. If someone had a fixed week they want to convert, it will count as developer if it was bought directly from the resort.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Final answer. Yes, you can convert a fixed week to points without buying more points. The fee is $2,395. I spoke with one of the Owner Care managers over the phone and he said he would email me a recap of our conversation so I would have it in writing. I about fainted. Lol. He was really helpful. He said Owner Care and title work together to do it. He also said he would make sure his people got a refresher course on it because it’s not something they do often. If someone had a fixed week they want to convert, it will count as developer if it was bought directly from the resort.
A recap of phone conversation in writing, well done Richelle! Can I ask how much time did you spend on phone with incompetent reps before you reached the one with the correct info? About 5 months ago I had a rep give me info on a negative points situation he did call back a week latter and say the info he told me was not correct. He would not send a email recapping of conversation.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
It only makes sense. If it is not in the "club" Wyndham doesn't get all the fees.what sixty some cents per thousand. And that's cash flow monies.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's an eight hundred dollar increase in 30 years! Well eight hundred ninety five.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't do it before the end of next year. You will be booking all of them at your home resort right?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am still skeptical that he will send an email recap or that an email recap will be considered official if someone decides that isn't official policy tomorrow or even later today. Even if one person gets it done, I will consider it a fluke and until at least 3 report completing the process, I will remain skeptical. Sometimes people just say what they think you want to hear to get you off the phone. There are a times when even Wyndham supervisors says this or that can be done but when it comes time to actually doing it, the answer is opps it doesn't work that way (anymore). I also wonder if there are restrictions as in only old fairfield and Wydham resorts. Did he mention that the conversion works at more recently added resorts like Smugglers Notch and presidential Plantation?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I am still skeptical that he will send an email recap or that an email recap will be considered official if someone decides that isn't official policy tomorrow or even later today. Even if one person gets it done, I will consider it a fluke and until at least 3 report completing the process, I will remain skeptical. Sometimes people just say what they think you want to hear to get you off the phone. There are a times when even Wyndham supervisors says this or that can be done but when it comes time to actually doing it, the answer is opps it doesn't work that way (anymore). I also wonder if there are restrictions as in only old fairfield and Wydham resorts. Did he mention that the conversion works at more recently added resorts like Smugglers Notch and presidential Plantation?

I have been talking to Annie Roberts Senior VP of Club and Owner services. Owner Care falls under her. She was the one who asked the Owner Care manager to reach out to me. Annie also knows that I sent an email to Michael Browns office about it because there was no clear direction. There is a lot of visibility on this issue now. I did get a recap of that email and everything he said was captured. He used the phrase “I committed to the following” and listed everything he said he would do. If he didn’t think that he could keep that promise, he never would have used the word “commit”. It sends a stronger message then just a simple “I will”. I agree many don’t like to use definite. They don’t want to get in trouble if they are wrong. However, I don’t doubt everything he said has been sanctioned by her already. If I were her, I would want to know what was going to be promised.

He also seemed very confident. The others I spoke to felt like they knew the answer but were not as sure as he was. He told me if I wanted to do it, he would assign someone to me, who knows the process. I’ll let you know if I do.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are points.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Don't do it before the end of next year. You will be booking all of them at your home resort right?

If I want to book that week, I can book it through the club system in the ARP period. That’s how many fixed weeks work. So if I owned week 52 in Bali Hai, and it just got converted to points, I can still book that week because is over 10 months out. If it’s week 15, I cannot, because we would be in the standard booking window. This is assuming I would actually want to use the week. Converting a week to points, gives owners another vacation option. So if I don’t want to go to Hawaii every year, I can choose to use those points somewhere else. If I didn’t have it in points, I would have to trade in RCI for $239. After 10 bookings with those points in Club Wyndham, that fee is made up for. So if a fixed week gets you 300,000 points and you can break that up into three weeks, it would take just over 3 years to make that fee back. The other thing you have to consider is in some cases, the maintenance fees can increase. I am not sure the logic behind it, but it does not happen in every case. I have a converted fixed week where the maintenance fees are the same as when it was just a week.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
A recap of phone conversation in writing, well done Richelle! Can I ask how much time did you spend on phone with incompetent reps before you reached the one with the correct info? About 5 months ago I had a rep give me info on a negative points situation he did call back a week latter and say the info he told me was not correct. He would not send a email recapping of conversation.

I don’t know if incompetence is the issue here. I think it’s lack of clear guidance. The one woman said she didn’t have any documentation to give her any firm answers. I gave up after about a week of phone calls and emailed the CEO. A few hours total perhaps? This most recent gentleman was sent to me by Annie Roberts, Senior VP of Club and Owner Services. I got that email recap. I want to frame it. He actually used the words “I committed to the following”. I got a little disoriented when I read that. We are so used to sale people never committing to anything. To see the word commit in writing surprised and impressed me. Lol

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if incompetence is the issue here. I think it’s lack of clear guidance. The one woman said she didn’t have any documentation to give her any firm answers. I gave up after about a week of phone calls and emailed the CEO. A few hours total perhaps? This most recent gentleman was sent to me by Annie Roberts, Senior VP of Club and Owner Services. I got that email recap. I want to frame it. He actually used the words “I committed to the following”. I got a little disoriented when I read that. We are so used to sale people never committing to anything. To see the word commit in writing surprised and impressed me. Lol
Persistence pays off. Have a happy a Thanksgiving!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Just because it’s not on tug, doesn’t mean it still doesn’t happen. ......

Ah - the eternal question -" if a tree falls in the forest , and no one is there , does it make a sound ? " - converted to TUG speak.

Good work Richelle

-and congratulations on being on TEAM TUG - the winning team at the Wyndham AGM in San Antonio.

Happy USA Thanksgiving from Canada / home of October Thanksgiving

e.bram

Reaction score
#1 If you a have decent week why convert, use or exchange thru II

#2 Ovation the week and buy points resale.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
#1 If you a have decent week why convert, use or exchange thru II

#2 Ovation the week and buy points resale.

#1 - Not everyone wants to go to the same place every year, even if it is a high demand week. Renting is against RCI’s terms and conditions, so renting the week is not an option. Converting means I can use my points at other Club Wyndham resorts (or rent them), or use the week (provided I book within the ARP period). It’s an additional vacation option. Plus, to book outside your home resort in RCI is a $239 fee. At most it’s $19 with Wyndham. Book 10 times and you’ve made up for the conversion fee.

#2 - well aware of resale. I have 800k resale points. Was looking for a week in Destin with low maintenance fees. $616 a year for a two bedroom in Bay Club. Destin is what we wanted. The other Destin resorts have much higher fees.

That said, I have not bought the week. Was pondering it. Bay Club is in no hurry to get back to me about their listings, so I may scrap the whole idea. I did confirm, even if I bought from the resort association directly (and not a third party broker or eBay), it wouldn’t count towards VIP. It has to be a fixed week sold by Wyndham sales person.