• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Real ID is Nearly Here, and You Can't Fly Home Without it

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I had to have everything when I came to Hawaii. It was a little easier to do it on Molokai. Only a few people waiting and we were able to register my wife’s car at the same time. It fun but not too bad. I’m good for another ten years now. I still use my passport whenever we travel though.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Daughter went to get new Ohio Real ID. In an Endless loop, to get your drivers license if you don’t have a Passport, you need a SS Card but to get your SS Card you need a drivers license. Expired versions of anything don’t count:confused:.

Cheers

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Daughter went to get new Ohio Real ID. In an Endless loop, to get your drivers license if you don’t have a Passport, you need a SS Card but to get your SS Card you need a drivers license. Expired versions of anything don’t count:confused:.

Cheers
Was she trying to get a NEW Social Security card, or just a copy of her existing? I had to replace my Social Security card as I had misplaced mine. It was very easy. I went to the Social Security website and requested it there.

P.S. I don't buy the "you need to have a driver's license to get a Social Security card". We got Social Security cards for both of our dds when they were born. And I'll bet there are many people who have Social Security cards but don't have a driver's license.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cheers
That's baloney! Newborns have to have a passport to travel internationally now, and parents have to get a Social Security card for them to get the tax exemption.

Brett

Reaction score

Cheers

I don't know about Ohio but in Virginia a birth certificate or a social security statement works for identification for the Real ID

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't know about Ohio but in Virginia a birth certificate or a social security statement works for identification for the Real ID
Here is a complete list of what is required, and acceptable, for Ohio.

A birth certificate can be used for FULL LEGAL NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, PROOF OF U.S. LEGAL PRESENCE, PROOF OF ADDRESS.

The Social Security card is for SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, PROOF OF ADDRESS.

It's not an either/or for Ohio. That is why I suggest checking the requirements for the state in which you plan to get a real ID.

https://services.dps.ohio.gov/BMVOnlineServices/DL/AcceptableDocuments

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Appreciate all the advice about Ohio Real ID but I was there and that’s what I and the daughter were told. Can’t help it if the individuals we dealt with were misinformed.

BTW, the birth certificate doesn’t help since it has her maiden name and they want her married name. Since her passport was expired, that wasn’t acceptable for proof of citizenship which was absurd to me.

Next go around we’re going to different offices:D

Cheers

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Here is a complete list of what is required, and acceptable, for Ohio.

A birth certificate can be used for FULL LEGAL NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, PROOF OF U.S. LEGAL PRESENCE, PROOF OF ADDRESS.

The Social Security card is for SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, PROOF OF ADDRESS.

It's not an either/or for Ohio. That is why I suggest checking the requirements for the state in which you plan to get a real ID.

https://services.dps.ohio.gov/BMVOnlineServices/DL/AcceptableDocuments

yes, from what I remember I gave them a social security statement and birth certificate - in Virginia

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From the Social Security Web Site. https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02017

No DL, no SS Card on line.

“You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states. If your state does not yet participate in this service, check back soon. More states are added regularly.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
From the Social Security Web Site. https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02017

No DL, no SS Card on line.

“You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states. If your state does not yet participate in this service, check back soon. More states are added regularly.
Looks like Ohio is one of the states that doesn't participate yet. So does that mean the only way to get a replacement card is to go in in person? Sounds like they are only allowing you to renew online if you are over 18 and meet the other criteria. Maybe this is new, or maybe I did have to provide my driver's license information online when I requested the replacement card.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Florida I needed my marriage license because my birth certificate had my maiden name. They did say everything on file now and won’t need to prove who I am again

Last edited:

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
We just moved to HHI, SC and had to get new DL's so it made sense to get the REAL ID at the same time. We used our passports, SS card and each of us had to have 2 bills addressed to us in order to get the gold star.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I have a friend who recently could not get her real ID and it had something to do with her marriage license. It was apparently never recorded - 35 years ago. I'm not sure how they are getting around that.
DW wanted to get an enhanced ID drivers license, which is the same as the Real ID except it can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. For the enhanced ID, you have to provide proof on any name changes, such as marriage. We brought our marriage certificate, but they said it wasn't acceptable because it didn't have an embossed notary seal. They wouldn't let her get the enhanced ID, but they did let her get the real ID license without proof of the name change. I had to call the state where we got married and paid $42 to get a copy of our marriage license that is notarized.

I don't know if all states do it, but Minnesota lets your start the real ID application process online, and prompts you for the different kinds of documents you'll need to meet the requirements. The social security card I had wasn't the right one. The real ones have pillars on the sides. The one I had must have been the tear off copy, which wasn't acceptable. Fortunately, I had my 1099-R that showed my social security number, and that was acceptable. It's good to take backup for all the required documents in case one won't work.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our state, Washington, has what is called an " Enhanced Driver License". It is Real ID compliant and allows land and sea travel across the norther and southern borders.

It took about 20 minutes to get these at the DMV. We used our passports, social security cards and concealed weapons permit. Easy peezy.

I had my Washington State drivers license memorized as it had been the same until now. As of now I have to look.

Bill

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
DW wanted to get an enhanced ID drivers license, which is the same as the Real ID except it can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. For the enhanced ID, you have to provide proof on any name changes, such as marriage. We brought our marriage certificate, but they said it wasn't acceptable because it didn't have an embossed notary seal. They wouldn't let her get the enhanced ID, but they did let her get the real ID license without proof of the name change. I had to call the state where we got married and paid $42 to get a copy of our marriage license that is notarized.

I don't know if all states do it, but Minnesota lets your start the real ID application process online, and prompts you for the different kinds of documents you'll need to meet the requirements. The social security card I had wasn't the right one. The real ones have pillars on the sides. The one I had must have been the tear off copy, which wasn't acceptable. Fortunately, I had my 1099-R that showed my social security number, and that was acceptable. It's good to take backup for all the required documents in case one won't work.
The funny thing is that my friend was married in LA but the marriage license was not recorded there. They also checked in San Diego county where they live (even though it seemed unlikely) and it wasn't recorded there either. I'm having dinner with her tomorrow night. I'll ask what happened.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We rarely fly anywhere anyhow, so when we do we use our passports.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
mpumilia, you may not fly often on an airplane. But I feel you are going to need This new Real ID, if you are going to operate a vehicle in the USA.

Plus, it is a excellent ID for the individual.

Also, having a valid passport is document proof you are a US citizen. Things are changing in the our country and the world.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
mpumilia, you may not fly often on an airplane. But I feel you are going to need This new Real ID, if you are going to operate a vehicle in the USA.

Plus, it is a excellent ID for the individual.

Also, having a valid passport is document proof you are a US citizen. Things are changing in the our country and the world.
Unless things change drastically you will not need a real ID to drive a car.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I got tired of waiting for my (sometimes) backward state to get around to offering Real ID on Drivers' Licenses, so I got a Passport Card that functions perfectly well. Problem Solved. FWIW, they've finally implemented it, so the next time I renew my DL the star will be on it. Whooppee!

Jim

Are you sure about this or is this state specific? I got a passport card with the last passport renewal several years ago as we travel to the Caribbean quite a bit. I assume I still need to jump through my state's hoops to get a real ID when my DL comes up for renewal early next year. Would be nice if it were automatic.

Ingrid

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Not only do you need a real ID to fly but also to enter federal buildings and ?. It's a good thing to have or in its place, a passport card.

Ingrid

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about this or is this state specific? I got a passport card with the last passport renewal several years ago as we travel to the Caribbean quite a bit. I assume I still need to jump through my state's hoops to get a real ID when my DL comes up for renewal early next year. Would be nice if it were automatic.

Ingrid

Our state allows us to renew our license one year in advance of expiration, and I believe most other states follow the same.

With that said, if you license expires in 2020 then I would go this year and get it renewed with the "Real ID" status. Next year the licensing authorities will be crushed with application requests by those who have no idea of the new requirements. It well may become very time consuming for application processing when everyone tries to do it all at once!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
With that said, if you license expires in 2020 then I would go this year and get it renewed with the "Real ID" status. Next year the licensing authorities will be crushed with application requests by those who have no idea of the new requirements. It well may become very time consuming for application processing when everyone tries to do it all at once!
This is good advice. When the state finally nailed down the process of getting the Real ID Star on our DLs, they pled with residents to 'DON'T WAIT! DO IT NOW! and outlined -and set up online- the process and said what was acceptable to produce to minimize the delay.

Jim

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Our state, Washington, has what is called an " Enhanced Driver License". It is Real ID compliant and allows land and sea travel across the norther and southern borders.

It took about 20 minutes to get these at the DMV. We used our passports, social security cards and concealed weapons permit. Easy peezy.

I had my Washington State drivers license memorized as it had been the same until now. As of now I have to look.

Bill
So Washington doesn’t have the name based DL number any more? I’ve been gone 20 years from Washington but still know my WA DL.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
So Washington doesn’t have the name based DL number any more? I’ve been gone 20 years from Washington but still know my WA DL.

Nope. It was easy to remember the name based drivers license that included part of the last name and numbers base on date of birth. Now it looks like they start with WDL with 9 random numbers and letters. I could memorize this if I wanted to and maybe I will if I get bored enough. :D

Bill