• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

James and Emma meet again?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Emma, the Chicago librarian who put an end to James winning streak on Jeopardy, has made it into the finals. She has been impressive in the tournament. Two more semi finals will determine the other finalists.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Emma, the Chicago librarian who put an end to James winning streak on Jeopardy, has made it into the finals. She has been impressive in the tournament. Two more semi finals will determine the other finalists.

'Jeopardy!' contestant almost makes Alex Trebek cry by betting 'We love you Alex'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...moves-alex-trebek-close-tears-bet/2570900001/

"Grab the tissues."

"On Monday night's episode of "Jeopardy!," contestant Dhruv Gaur put his heart on his screen, writing "We (heart) you Alex!" instead of a Final Jeopardy answer.

The gesture caught host Alex Trebek, who is currently battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer, by surprise. The 79-year-old's voice caught, noting the contestant bet big on the sweet note.

"That's very kind of you, thank you. It cost you $1,995. You're left with $5," he said, his voice trembling. "OK."

The emotional moment came during an episode of the annual Tournament of Champions."

It was indeed a touching moment that all the fans of the show could relate to. :thumbup:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Alex and all the contestants are wearing purple ribbons. Alex said they were in remembrance of Teacher Tournament champion Larry Martin who passed from pancreatic cancer shortly after his shows aired. I don't think it's lost that the contestants are showing their support and affection for their host, Alex Trebek.

And, yes, a teaser from the tournament's opening scene shows James and Emma shaking hands, so I suspect the final will once again feature them competing head-to-head.

Jim

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
James is on tonight and unfortunately this is opening nigh5of duplicate bridge.
Larry Martin the teachers tournament champion is the one that died of pancreatic cancer.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Having just lost my brother to pancreatic cancer, I can say it is sudden, and can be devastating. He went from “I have a stomach ache” to deceased in 10 weeks.

Larry Martin did a great job winning the Teachers’ Tournament. It was sad to hear he’d passed.

Last night’s contestant who said “We (heart) you Alex” is my hero. He said what a lot of people are feeling. I’ve grown up watching Alex Trebek, even before Jeopardy. He has been a fixture in my home since I was a kid. I hope he can beat this cancer.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having just lost my brother to pancreatic cancer, I can say it is sudden, and can be devastating. He went from “I have a stomach ache” to deceased in 10 weeks.

Dave
Dave, Deep condolences for the loss in your family. Damn pancreatic cancer seems to be one that very rarely can be stopped. We've lost friends and passing acquaintances and ALL of them are devastating and sorely missed. The world will be a better place when all cancers can be wiped out.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dave, Deep condolences for the loss in your family. Damn pancreatic cancer seems to be one that very rarely can be stopped. We've lost friends and passing acquaintances and ALL of them are devastating and sorely missed. The world will be a better place when all cancers can be wiped out.

Jim
That is what we lost my dad to. He'd had open heart surgery twice, but it was the damn cancer that got him.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what we lost my dad to. He'd had open heart surgery twice, but it was the damn cancer that got him.
Condolences. I can't think of anyone in my family that has succumed to cancer. It's heart disease that gets us. It's gonna be something.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeopardy contestants have proposed that viewers for the finals in the Tournament of Champions on Thursday and Friday this week play along and keep track of their own correct questions. They have asked that viewers send $1 for each correct question to the Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research www.lustgarten.org/ or whatever they felt comfortable contributing.

Jim

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last night’s contestant who said “We (heart) you Alex” is my hero. He said what a lot of people are feeling.

Many, many, people feel that very same way.

By the simple act of placing his heartfelt words on a screen, Dhruv Gaur touched so many hearts.

I understand James is very popular with most of the viewers, but it struck me strange that even after making the game a runaway and no chance of being caught, he didn't feel the same sentiment as Dhruv. Instead of some meaningless wager, a few kind words for Alex during his struggle would have meant so much.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many, many, people feel that very same way.

By the simple act of placing his heartfelt words on a screen, Dhruv Gaur touched so many hearts.

I understand James is very popular with most of the viewers, but it struck me strange that even after making the game a runaway and no chance of being caught, he didn't feel the same sentiment as Dhruv. Instead of some meaningless wager, a few kind words for Alex during his struggle would have meant so much.
Maybe you missed this: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nat...ic-Cancer-Donation-Alex-Trebek-511621101.html
This was just after James' run, and done while it appeared that Alex had beat the disease, before tests showed he needs more chemotharapy.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’m also sure they didn’t want to have an on-air pity party for Alex. The one expression was enough, and everyone is wearing ribbons. If James had done what the first guy did, it would have been perceived as a copycat thing.

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I didn't get a chance to watch. What was the result of the Tournament of Champions?

James won rather easily . . . Emma was second and Francois went out in a blaze of glory.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dhruv Guar appeared on 'Ellen' yesterday and explained why he wrote the costly tribute to Alex Trebek. He may have lost the game, but he showed that he (and the other contestants) have heart.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like he’s finally going to compete against Ken and Brad. Bragging rights, anyone?
Makes one wonder how long Sony can milk this. Mooooo!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm one who has cut cable. I'm not a regular watcher of Jeopardy, but my friend got me hooked on James earlier this year. When I heard he was he do be competing this week, I could not find a way to watch (didn't need to be live) without paying something. Had this happened to anyone?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Makes one wonder how long Sony can milk this. Mooooo!

But if they can do new competitions, in this case the top three winners, they can claim an Ultimate Champion, or some such, and go out in style. If this will be Alex’s last season, it seems like a good way to end things.

Dave

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like he’s finally going to compete against Ken and Brad. Bragging rights, anyone?

If this does come to fruition, I think it's going to be a matter of which of the three contestants times it right for ringing in first. One thing I notice when watching Brad play is that he always jumps as he's buzzing in. I personally find that kind of distracting but, I guess it works for him and has earned him literally millions of dollars playing on the show.