• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shingrix Vaccine

BarbmC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Marriott BeachPlace
Marriott Vacation Club points owner
I had my first dose of the vaccine which was very painful - but nothing compared to the shingles which I had this summer. So I'll be getting the second vaccine when I am eligible!!!

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Got lucky when I walked into Walgreen yesterday. They had the Shingrix in stock and no waiting line at the Pharmacy. The way they explained it to us is that it’s a two part shot and between two to six months of receiving the first dose to come back for the second. When asked about the possibility of them being out of them again was told since it’s a two part vaccine that the second half is stored for our return! Not sure I’m believing that but not much more we can do until the time comes.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...When asked about the possibility of them being out of them again was told since it’s a two part vaccine that the second half is stored for our return! Not sure I’m believing...

The CVS-Minute Clinic told me the same.
They had my name on a vial when I returned for #2, so I'd say chances are good.

OTOH, Walmart did not save shot #2 for my DW, and she had to wait almost 6 mos.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just at my doctor yesterday and she recommended it, but she was out. I told her to please put me on the waiting list.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was just at my doctor yesterday and she recommended it, but she was out. I told her to please put me on the waiting list.

I spoke to two different docs about it -- both said they did not carry it.
Hence my surprise to find that CVS Minute Clinic had it and my copay was -0-.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I spoke to two different docs about it -- both said they did not carry it.
Hence my surprise to find that CVS Minute Clinic had it and my copay was -0-.

My bil was able to walk into a CVS minute clinic and get a Shingrex shot on the spot as well.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband was able to get the new vaccine, but I have not. The nurse who gave my husband the injection was telling us about a shingles patient she had while working in a hospital. It was an elderly woman who had dementia, and a terrible case of shingles, on her torso, in her eyes and in her genital area. She said the poor woman was in horrible pain and all she could do was scream. They kept here heavily medicated but she still moaned and screamed anytime she was awake. The nurse said she would never forget her screaming and urges everyone she knows to get the vaccine.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

When my doctor recommended it he stated his practice did not and would not carry it. He said due to shortages of the vaccine most doctor offices would not carry it since it would further exacerbate the shortage. He recommended my pharmacy.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When my doctor recommended it he stated his practice did not and would not carry it. He said due to shortages of the vaccine most doctor offices would not carry it since it would further exacerbate the shortage. He recommended my pharmacy.
My doctor's office does not offer any shots any longer. I got used to going to a pharmacy as even when they were offering shots it seemed they were always out of whatever it was I needed.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My doctor's office does not offer any shots any longer. I got used to going to a pharmacy as even when they were offering shots it seemed they were always out of whatever it was I needed.

Our docs also. Has to be pharmacy.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that doctors weren't offering shots. My doctor does...I've gotten three immunizations there in the past six months. I just got a tetanus shot the other day bc I haven't had one in years and years.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Last year, I got a tetanus shot and a week later, cut my hand.with a knife.
Cause and effect? :ponder: I managed to stop the bleeding with "Wound Seal."

Maybe they don't have the time to give shots. Seems to me that banging everything into their laptops takes precedence...

I just left an assembly-line corporate-practice for a small 4-doc office.
No computer in the room and the doc didn't use one, just his assistant.
Also, I didn't wait in the exam room for MT 5 minutes.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I didn't realize that doctors weren't offering shots. My doctor does...I've gotten three immunizations there in the past six months. I just got a tetanus shot the other day bc I haven't had one in years and years.

My doctor still offers the flu shot and other vaccines. He only doesn't offer the Shingrix vaccine due to the shortages and that's why he recommended a pharmacy.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think it depends. Our doctors in California is where we always got shots. I was kind of shocked when we moved here and were told to go to a pharmacy. And until I was on Medicare I could only go to CVS for shots since that was where my prescription coverage is.

I think that maybe it's more than they just don't have the time. I think it might be stocking all of the various vaccine and shot "stuff". I do know that dh got a shot of lidocaine at the doctor's office.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Interesting. I get most of my vaccines at my pharmacy, but i was on the waiting list for year or so. Tried a different pharmacy and they added mt to their list... Finally gave up and checked with my primary care doctor and they had Shingrix in stock. I was able to get my first shot last week.

My Dr is part of Sutter Health which is big network in this area, so maybe that why they offer it. It was more of hassle than the usual drug store shot, had to schedule an appointment etc.. They billed my insurance $245 for the shot, and Aetna paid it all.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think doctor offices offer most shots. The shingles shot is the one referred to here. I just had pneumonia and diptheria this week (at doc offices, efficiently administered by nurse.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
My doctor (Birmingham, AL) gives the flu shot but not shingles. I have been checking with my pharmacy (CVS) for several weeks and they haven’t been able to get the Shingrix. I stopped by this afternoon for another prescription and asked about Shingrix and they had received some this morning. I got the first shot and am waiting for my arm to start hurting. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think doctor offices offer most shots. The shingles shot is the one referred to here. I just had pneumonia and diptheria this week (at doc offices, efficiently administered by nurse.
Again, it depends on the doctors office. Ours used to, but a few years ago they stopped.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband has his name put on a waitlist at CVS for a while but they still don't have enough to clear the waitlist. We called Costco and they said they had some and we headed over. He got his shot done and we will need to call again in 2 months to check on their stock.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We went to the pharmacy for the second dose of shingle vaccine. My wife had her shot in her right arm and did well with no side affects. I had my shot in the left arm and have had a severe headache since last night.

Bill

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have been checking with my pharmacy (CVS) for several weeks and they haven’t been able to get the Shingrix. I stopped by this afternoon for another prescription and asked about Shingrix and they had received some this morning...

For anyone who has trouble getting it from the pharmacy, check with CVS' Minute Clinic.
They're in a closet-like room, but gave me both Shingrix shots (reserved #2 for my return).

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We finally got the call from our pharmacy.i put my name on waiting list in June last year and received my first serum yesterday. Pharmacist mentioned 58% protection which will increase to 93% after second shot in two-months. Our first vaccination effect was down to 18% after seven years.
Yes, my arm is sore and I have flu like symptoms, but nothing can stop me from vaccination after I watched my dear mother to suffer for five years...
We paid $47/each with Humana card.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Take an Tylenol or something about an hour before the shot. That worked for me. I got the flu and the shingles on the same day.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
DH and I finally got #1 of the Shingrix protocol last Friday night. He almost immediately had side effects . . . chills, nausea, headache. It didn't really affect me other than it seemed I was on the verge of headaches, for a couple of days afterwards. Both of us experienced soreness in our upper arm in the muscle where they injected.

As for where to get the shot . . . our insurance does not cover it at a doctor's office. Thankfully my primary care doc warned me when I was in last week, suggesting I double check and utilize a local pharmacy. After confirming what he told me, I had to call around a little to find a pharmacy with it in stock, because many only had enough on-hand to administer the second dose. Fortunately, the nearby Walgreens had inventory, so we went in after dinner Friday.

We will return near the end of March or early April for dose #2. I hope they are holding for us too!

Last edited: