• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Some things I've learned about medical insurance this year

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is sorta long. Just a warning!

Background: I live in Ohio and have the Cleveland Clinic healthcare for 2019 (called Oscar). The fine print says you can only go to a provider in their network in order for insurance to be used (an in-network provider) EXCEPT in an emergency (I read this as emergency room visit).

In Florida in February, 2019 and having some chest pains (I'm fine - they found nothing). Husband took me to emergency room. Pain left after about 20 minutes in waiting room but kept being told, 'should get things checked out.' Emergency room doctor said I needed to stay because it would be nearly impossible to see a cardiologist in the next six months without seeing one while at the hospital. I was incredulous and she (emergency room doctor) said, 'you sound surprised?' I was.

I shoulda left (1st lesson) but everyone there kept insisting 'better check - you don't want to take any chances.'

They put me in a room in the cardiology wing. Had several doctors come to visit - 2 hospitalists and the cardiologist. People also woke me up during the night to take blood pressure and occasionally blood.

Next morning there was a stress test (which the cardiologist said I should have before I left the hospital - just to be sure).

Left late morning. No diagnosis except that I seemed fine medically. Blood tests fine (except for high triglycerides - which didn't get treated except to have them say, 'get retested when back in Ohio).

Bills start rolling in. Over $14,000 for the hospital bill (Oscar knocked it down to just under $7K). My deductible is $7,900 per individual and $15,800 for family - network only.

Got a bill from a non-network doctor (even though I was treated through the emergency room). I believe it was the emergency room doctor (the one who told me to stay). That's separate from the hospital bill but was not written up as 'emergency' but as a consult. Denied by insurance. Talked to insurance. They said it was not coded as an emergency so denied. 'Just tell them to change the coding.' Talked to the third party billing office and told them insurance company said to change the coding to 'emergency'. Said they couldn't do it as the doctor didn't say that. Transcript says 'female presented through emergency department ....'. Billing company wouldn't budge. BUT they would talk to higher ups and call me back. No calls. I got a collection letter from a collection company. GRRRR. Called them and told them I was expecting a call back - not a collection company contacting me. Woman I talked to saw they had not followed through (notations on account). She applied Medicaid discount and then, because I was paying the bill instead of insurance company, took 20% off of that. Bill was less than half of original. They took it back from the collection company and I paid that lower amount. 2nd lesson (persistence is important - although it is almost like talking to a cell phone company or cable company).

Had previously paid $3,000 on the hospital bill (from HSA account) and then set up a payment plan with them at $100/month (my plan was to pay more but that was the minimum per month). Asked for an itemized bill in the meantime.

When I was 'barking' at the hospital for having this non-network doctor bill me like they did (see 2 paragraphs up), the woman at the hospital mentioned to me that since I was paying their bill (not insurance company) I could take 20% off. Huh? She explained to me that anytime someone is self-paying (even if insurance has knocked it down) there is a 20% discount to pay the entire bill. Hmmm. When I was first making that $3,000 partial payment, no one mentioned that I could get 20% off the bill if I paid it in full. Nor when we paid an additional $1200 over 4 payments. 20% of $7K is $1400 BTW. 3rd lesson (ask about a discount for self-paying early on).

Last week (mid-November) got a bill for the cardiologist for close to $1,000 for an office consultation, a follow-up office visit and the stress test (I'm guessing for his time at the stress test). Hey-I didn't go to his office for a consultation or visit. Because these were not listed as 'emergency' the claims were denied. AND this is the first time they sent a bill. I called them and they said because of Medicaid and Medicare rules regarding coding properly for insurance, since I was being held for 'observation' (as an OUTpatient even though I stayed overnight) they couldn't code it as an emergency so it gets coded as a consultation or a visit. My contention is that I would never had been seeing this doctor except for the emergency. They say they understand but 'this is the way it works.' They will check and see what they can do (probably NOT change the coding). Lesson 4 - use other lessons to get this bill reduced.

I hope somebody learns some things from my experience.

This has been soooo frustrating. The words that come to mind are 'racket', 'locked-in', 'trapped' and 'bait-n-switch'. The hospital KNEW I had out-of-state insurance and still assigned doctors that would be out-of-network. I had no choice and no say in the matter. I'm gonna see if there is ANY insurance that doesn't penalize you if you travel. I will definitely think 2-3 times before going in (even though 'they' say you shouldn't mess with chest pain - 'they' are probably hospital people).

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your experience was pretty much exactly the same as ours a couple of years ago. It was crazy!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many familiar experiences in this story. Except you got to see the cardiologist the next day. After 24 hours in a hallway outside the emergency desk, they told us we would have to wait a few more days to see a cardiologist. No food or water allowed during the wait.
Yesterday in the mail I received two letters from the insurance company. The first was a bill from 2016 that was just submitted and denied and the second was a denial for two medications given to me in the emergency room saying they were self administered. So I guess I was supposed to make the nurse put them in my mouth to get them covered

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Again- the nightmare that is the USA healthcare system. Had a similar situation with my hubby a few years ago- though locally. Chest pains continued into the night. I call 911 at 2am. Ambulance comes. Says he is ok- but doesn't mean he did not have some kind of heart episode earlier- and they should take him to the emergency room just in case. Me- working in healthcare- knows- since they say he seems to be ok- I will take him to the emergency room myself as the bill for the ambulance will not be covered. So we are there the whole day. I am a terror- "bothering" the practitioners- how are they coding what, etc. Then the cardiolgist finally comes like hours later- want to observe him overnight and run tests- stress test in morning. Hey- I am not a doctor- better do what he says- this is my husband's lfe we are dealing with.

Next day- all was thankfully ok and he went home. But honestly, the whole time I kept thinking we should have just stayed home the night before after the ambulance left like my husband wanted. High deductible health insurance and we had a bill of something like $4000 out of pocket.He had a POS plan with Aetna through his job. You use in network providers for a lower rate, but can go to out of network providers for a higher rate. But also- the Aetna plan is nationwide so there is a pretty good chance they also have in network providers in another state. So when we move to NH- they have in network providers there as well. Same if we travel somewhere.

This kind of thing is one reason why I would prefer to stay on the POS plan for ME through COBRA instead of going to an HMO or EPO when my husband retires, and why he is going on a Medigap plan (F) instead of an Advantage plan.

So sorry you had to go through this hell. One of your lessons- yes- always ask for discounts should you know you have to be a self pay. Usually you will at least get the Medicare rate which is most often times lower than a private pay rate.

There's an issue in the system right there. If they can give you that Medicare rate- why is it just not the rate for everyone/everything? Why do people have to jump through hoops?

Another lesson- don't pay anything you think you shouldn't. Come and get me! Fight fight fight...don't let collection agencies scare you.

You know, a lot of what they do has to do with liability so always keep that in mind as well. They are afraid of being sued. Also- they treat you based on insurance. Pathetic.

Just think- people without insurance can just walk in the door and be taken in and treated and released with no bill. Give that a consideration....

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Teresa Wow. It's bad enough to worry about your health but then to get the double-whammy of bills you thought would be covered.

This sounds like a practice called "Balance Billing" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_billing. Since you were in Florida, it appears you may be covered and they should not be charging you extra at all.

"In 2017 and 2018, six states passed a variety of laws to limit surprise balance billing bringing the total to 25 states with at least some protections.[12] The six states with a comprehensive approach were California (A.B. 72: Out of Network Coverage and A.B. 1611 Emergency Hospital Services: Cost), Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, and New York.[15] A comprehensive approach had laws that applied to both HMOs and PPOs, provided protection to emergency department and in-network hospital settings, and prohibited providers from balance billing by creating payment standards or outlining a process for disputing medical bills between providers and insurers.[15] Congress gave the issue serious attention in 2018-2019[16] with both the House and Senate passing substantive bills out of committee in the summer of 2019[17]."

You might want to check with your insurer and approach the hospital and doctors offices with this information and if they don't budge, then take them to small claims court. It might be helpful to also speak with a Florida healthcare lawyer for an hour on a service like RocketLawyer to fully understand the law.

Last edited:

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
That was a bad situation but the lesson should not be to ignore the doctors and go home as some people will die by making that decision.

The lesson is to evaluate all the insurance options and pick the optimal one to account for all expected contingencies at a price you can afford. Also, as was said above, ask questions to make sure you are not paying for more than you should (of course if you are in pain hopefully you have someone with you to advocate for you).

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I too am in an EPO (Exclusive Provider Organization) here in Milwaukee. The insurance company and provider (Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin) are pretty much in bed with one another, and often to the detriment of the patient (financially).

Last year I was diagnosed with a serious genetic heart condition. My cardiologist wanted me to have a 48 hour holter monitor on me. The device was strapped to me in office and I returned it back to them at the end of the readings. The initial visit to put the thing on me was less than 10 minutes, including all of the questions, etc.

They billed my insurance company $250 dollars, but they (the insurance co) said it was a $700 procedure. So because I hadn't met my deductible I was on the hook for the full $700 (which I fought!). This was especially insulting because the monitor device with my data had to be sent out for reading and interpretation, which was out of network . . . and billed by the device company over $400. Since it was not covered at all, I was on the hook for that full $400.

I do not think it was a coincidence that the original amount billed ($250) plus the added out of network expense of $400 equaled just about what the insurance company said the procedure was worth and what Froedtert ended up billing me for ($700). I had no way to know they would be outsourcing a portion of the medical process (the reading of the device) and had no "in network" options. Further, if Froedert got the full amount from me, they should have paid the damn outsourced provider.

I fought it through the medical billing/coding department and my insurance but to no avail. WHAT A JOKE!

Bigger joke . . . a year later, my cardiologist has ordered another holter monitor test and I've refused because I don't want to get caught with the full expense again, while they get more $$ than what they are billing the insurance company for.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was a bad situation but the lesson should not be to ignore the doctors and go home as some people will die by making that decision.

I disagree. Take the time to make your own rational decision. Then act. I have ignored the advice of Cardiologists three times with no negative ramifications. First, 30 years ago I was told I needed a pacemaker. I refused. Second, 7 or 8 years ago Cardiologist wanted to put me on Multaq, a drug I considered dangerous as I was on a blood thinner. I refused. And Third, about 3 years ago I was advised to have an ablation (where they deaden part of the heart) for my A-fib. After study, I refused. I'm still here. 84½ young and doing fine. My cynical opinion is that some (maybe much) of the advice given patients is to gin up income for Doctors and Hospitals...

George

geekette

Reaction score
I am sorry for such an ordeal, from medical to administrative to financial.

I do want to highlight that True Self Pay is a thing. The discount can often be much more than 20% off.

I have consolidated all of my care within one hospital system that offers more like 60% off for true self pay (obviously, this will vary by provider/procedure). Since I can't afford insurance in 2020, I will be presenting as True Self Pay, and they will work with me on payment plans when necessary. Since my status is known, and payments, even small, keep coming, they do not send me to collections.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This is sorta long. Just a warning!

Background: I live in Ohio and have the Cleveland Clinic healthcare for 2019 (called Oscar). The fine print says you can only go to a provider in their network in order for insurance to be used (an in-network provider) EXCEPT in an emergency (I read this as emergency room visit).

In Florida in February, 2019 and having some chest pains (I'm fine - they found nothing). Husband took me to emergency room. Pain left after about 20 minutes in waiting room but kept being told, 'should get things checked out.' Emergency room doctor said I needed to stay because it would be nearly impossible to see a cardiologist in the next six months without seeing one while at the hospital. I was incredulous and she (emergency room doctor) said, 'you sound surprised?' I was.

I shoulda left (1st lesson) but everyone there kept insisting 'better check - you don't want to take any chances.'

They put me in a room in the cardiology wing. Had several doctors come to visit - 2 hospitalists and the cardiologist. People also woke me up during the night to take blood pressure and occasionally blood.

Next morning there was a stress test (which the cardiologist said I should have before I left the hospital - just to be sure).

Left late morning. No diagnosis except that I seemed fine medically. Blood tests fine (except for high triglycerides - which didn't get treated except to have them say, 'get retested when back in Ohio).

Bills start rolling in. Over $14,000 for the hospital bill (Oscar knocked it down to just under $7K). My deductible is $7,900 per individual and $15,800 for family - network only.

Got a bill from a non-network doctor (even though I was treated through the emergency room). I believe it was the emergency room doctor (the one who told me to stay). That's separate from the hospital bill but was not written up as 'emergency' but as a consult. Denied by insurance. Talked to insurance. They said it was not coded as an emergency so denied. 'Just tell them to change the coding.' Talked to the third party billing office and told them insurance company said to change the coding to 'emergency'. Said they couldn't do it as the doctor didn't say that. Transcript says 'female presented through emergency department ....'. Billing company wouldn't budge. BUT they would talk to higher ups and call me back. No calls. I got a collection letter from a collection company. GRRRR. Called them and told them I was expecting a call back - not a collection company contacting me. Woman I talked to saw they had not followed through (notations on account). She applied Medicaid discount and then, because I was paying the bill instead of insurance company, took 20% off of that. Bill was less than half of original. They took it back from the collection company and I paid that lower amount. 2nd lesson (persistence is important - although it is almost like talking to a cell phone company or cable company).

Had previously paid $3,000 on the hospital bill (from HSA account) and then set up a payment plan with them at $100/month (my plan was to pay more but that was the minimum per month). Asked for an itemized bill in the meantime.

When I was 'barking' at the hospital for having this non-network doctor bill me like they did (see 2 paragraphs up), the woman at the hospital mentioned to me that since I was paying their bill (not insurance company) I could take 20% off. Huh? She explained to me that anytime someone is self-paying (even if insurance has knocked it down) there is a 20% discount to pay the entire bill. Hmmm. When I was first making that $3,000 partial payment, no one mentioned that I could get 20% off the bill if I paid it in full. Nor when we paid an additional $1200 over 4 payments. 20% of $7K is $1400 BTW. 3rd lesson (ask about a discount for self-paying early on).

Last week (mid-November) got a bill for the cardiologist for close to $1,000 for an office consultation, a follow-up office visit and the stress test (I'm guessing for his time at the stress test). Hey-I didn't go to his office for a consultation or visit. Because these were not listed as 'emergency' the claims were denied. AND this is the first time they sent a bill. I called them and they said because of Medicaid and Medicare rules regarding coding properly for insurance, since I was being held for 'observation' (as an OUTpatient even though I stayed overnight) they couldn't code it as an emergency so it gets coded as a consultation or a visit. My contention is that I would never had been seeing this doctor except for the emergency. They say they understand but 'this is the way it works.' They will check and see what they can do (probably NOT change the coding). Lesson 4 - use other lessons to get this bill reduced.

I hope somebody learns some things from my experience.

This has been soooo frustrating. The words that come to mind are 'racket', 'locked-in', 'trapped' and 'bait-n-switch'. The hospital KNEW I had out-of-state insurance and still assigned doctors that would be out-of-network. I had no choice and no say in the matter. I'm gonna see if there is ANY insurance that doesn't penalize you if you travel. I will definitely think 2-3 times before going in (even though 'they' say you shouldn't mess with chest pain - 'they' are probably hospital people).
It is crazy. There are a million "gotcha" exceptions to the rules. The providers know all about them but we - the patients/customers - don't even receive a "copy" of the rules, we get a summary and find out about the actual rules after the fact.

At a minimum, I would call their billing office and ask for that 20%. The wiggle room is there for sure, and you never know, they may knock some additional off for the bill. Sorry that you have had to go through that.

Brett

Reaction score
Again- the nightmare that is the USA healthcare system. Had a similar situation with my hubby a few years ago- though locally. Chest pains continued into the night. I call 911 at 2am. Ambulance comes. Says he is ok- but doesn't mean he did not have some kind of heart episode earlier- and they should take him to the emergency room just in case. Me- working in healthcare- knows- since they say he seems to be ok- I will take him to the emergency room myself as the bill for the ambulance will not be covered. So we are there the whole day. I am a terror- "bothering" the practitioners- how are they coding what, etc. Then the cardiolgist finally comes like hours later- want to observe him overnight and run tests- stress test in morning. Hey- I am not a doctor- better do what he says- this is my husband's lfe we are dealing with.

Next day- all was thankfully ok and he went home. But honestly, the whole time I kept thinking we should have just stayed home the night before after the ambulance left like my husband wanted. High deductible health insurance and we had a bill of something like $4000 out of pocket.He had a POS plan with Aetna through his job. You use in network providers for a lower rate, but can go to out of network providers for a higher rate. But also- the Aetna plan is nationwide so there is a pretty good chance they also have in network providers in another state. So when we move to NH- they have in network providers there as well. Same if we travel somewhere.

This kind of thing is one reason why I would prefer to stay on the POS plan for ME through COBRA instead of going to an HMO or EPO when my husband retires, and why he is going on a Medigap plan (F) instead of an Advantage plan.

So sorry you had to go through this hell. One of your lessons- yes- always ask for discounts should you know you have to be a self pay. Usually you will at least get the Medicare rate which is most often times lower than a private pay rate.

There's an issue in the system right there. If they can give you that Medicare rate- why is it just not the rate for everyone/everything? Why do people have to jump through hoops?

Another lesson- don't pay anything you think you shouldn't. Come and get me! Fight fight fight...don't let collection agencies scare you.

You know, a lot of what they do has to do with liability so always keep that in mind as well. They are afraid of being sued. Also- they treat you based on insurance. Pathetic.

Just think- people without insurance can just walk in the door and be taken in and treated and released with no bill. Give that a consideration....

Actually people without health or medical insurance get a bill from the hospital, they just don't pay it .... (give that a consideration)
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/this-is-the-real-reason-most-americans-file-for-bankruptcy.html

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Actually people without health or medical insurance get a bill from the hospital, they just don't pay it .... (give that a consideration)
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/this-is-the-real-reason-most-americans-file-for-bankruptcy.html
Hospital gown that looks like coverage, until you have to wear it. Indeed.

I would dispute your assertion that people without health insurance do not pay their bills, there is nothing in this article to support that statement. being out of network is often same as no insurance and I have paid every one of those bills that my insurer denied. I will be going without insurance and paying over time bills generated at my hospital system.

Not fair to paint insurance-holders as helpless victims of a mean system and uninsured as unsavory people. Seems to me that people go bankrupt on the basis of Trying To Pay, regardless of whether an insurer was involved or not.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of years ago my Daughter was going to have a baby C Section and had no insurance. She went to one of the hospitals in Houston about a month before scheduled delivery date and gave them a check for $1,000+ (I don't recall the exact amount). The contract she had with them was they would cover everything regardless of complications. I personally never saw the contract so I don't know exactly what it said. All went well...

George

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Actually, many of the providers' offices/billers don't know what they're doing or how to play the game. DW had breast cancer surgery in May, and Medicare will cover reconstruction of the affected side, and even reworking the other breast for symmetry. Amazingly, the plastic surgeon correctly billed and got paid for the "other" side, but has billed, and been denied, three times on the side that had the tumor. And he does this all the time!

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I disagree. Take the time to make your own rational decision. Then act. I have ignored the advice of Cardiologists three times with no negative ramifications. First, 30 years ago I was told I needed a pacemaker. I refused. Second, 7 or 8 years ago Cardiologist wanted to put me on Multaq, a drug I considered dangerous as I was on a blood thinner. I refused. And Third, about 3 years ago I was advised to have an ablation (where they deaden part of the heart) for my A-fib. After study, I refused. I'm still here. 84½ young and doing fine. My cynical opinion is that some (maybe much) of the advice given patients is to gin up income for Doctors and Hospitals...

George
I agree with you George that you should make an educated decision as to whether to agree with a doctor but the decision should not be based on cost along because some people will die based on that decision. I don't always listen to doctors either but you have to know your body, know your doctor, do your homework, assess if the doctor is being motivated by kickbacks from drug companies or other 3rd parties, etc.

Even doing all of the above there is still a slight possibility that a condition one thinks is minor turns out to be major and life threatening.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Take the time to make your own rational decision. Then act. I have ignored the advice of Cardiologists three times with no negative ramifications.... I'm still here. 84½ young and doing fine. My cynical opinion is that some (maybe much) of the advice given patients is to gin up income for Doctors and Hospitals.

I concur.
18 months ago, I was given a scrip for a drug to deal with acid reflux. Then my creatinine levels started to rise (1.0 > 1.5), indicating issues with my kidneys. A CT scan was inconclusive, but a nephrologist said I had Stage 3 kidney disease. My online research pointed to this new drug (a protein pump inhibitor a/k/a PPI)) as having a relationship with kidney disease. I stopped taking it and within weeks, my creatinine levels returned to normal and at my last follow up, the nephrologist said I didn't need to return.

My GP reamed me out for doing my own research. "You don't have access to the right research. That's what we have doctors for. It's how patient's like you make mistakes." My reply: "I realize that my experience is anecdotal, but for me, I consider it conclusive."

As for insurance: The problem is the quality of the insurance.
When DW had a TIA (mild stroke), she was taken by ambulance to the ER.
The hospital kept her 3N, gave her a ton of meds, and ran a battery of tests.
Our insurance paid them $25K. We only paid $100 (ER copay).

For $25K, you'd think a hospital could provide decent food, but no.
I had to bring in burgers & fries.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My GP reamed me out for doing my own research. "You don't have access to the right research. That's what we have doctors for. It's how patient's like you make mistakes."

Insanity. Both my Cardiologist and Primary Care Physician are comfortable with, and even encourage me to do my own research and are more than willing to discuss same with me...

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I concur.
18 months ago, I was given a scrip for a drug to deal with acid reflux. Then my creatinine levels started to rise (1.0 > 1.5), indicating issues with my kidneys. A CT scan was inconclusive, but a nephrologist said I had Stage 3 kidney disease. My online research pointed to this new drug (a protein pump inhibitor a/k/a PPI)) as having a relationship with kidney disease. I stopped taking it and within weeks, my creatinine levels returned to normal and at my last follow up, the nephrologist said I didn't need to return.

My GP reamed me out for doing my own research. "You don't have access to the right research. That's what we have doctors for. It's how patient's like you make mistakes." My reply: "I realize that my experience is anecdotal, but for me, I consider it conclusive."

As for insurance: The problem is the quality of the insurance.
When DW had a TIA (mild stroke), she was taken by ambulance to the ER.
The hospital kept her 3N, gave her a ton of meds, and ran a battery of tests.
Our insurance paid them $25K. We only paid $100 (ER copay).

For $25K, you'd think a hospital could provide decent food, but no.
I had to bring in burgers & fries.
I have stage three kidney disease al o, but they don’t think any of my drugs are the cause. But the doctor yesterday said my husband’s blood pressure is too low, and if we take him off the diuretic, he may also be able to stop the three times daily potassium and if the blood pressure goes up, prescribe a different drug.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
One of the reasons I will probably go with traditional Medicare in February. No such thing as out of network (at least if you stay in the US).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now thinking when I turn 65, I will buy a supplement plan so that I don't need to worry about whether a hospital or doctor is part of a Medicare Advantage PPO or not. My husband's Medicare Advantage Select PPO plan (no referral needed) allows him to see doctors everywhere in the US as long as they are part of PPO's doctors and hospital network which exists in all 50 states. It also covers urgent care/emergency care outside of the US.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My husband was on a blood pressure med for years and slowly he started to have some issues with his white blood cell count. He researched it and discovered this was a side effect. Between that and donating blood a lot (which I made him stop doing). So the doc didn't know what med to put him on. I researched it and sent all the info to the nurse to switch to Ibersarten. He's been fine ever since.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One of the reasons I will probably go with traditional Medicare in February. No such thing as out of network (at least if you stay in the US).

It also pays for limited emergencies overseas supposedly but I would never just count on that and get travel insurance with good medical coverage.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am now thinking when I turn 65, I will buy a supplement plan so that I don't need to worry about whether a hospital or doctor is part of a Medicare Advantage PPO or not. My husband's Medicare Advantage Select PPO plan (no referral needed) allows him to see doctors everywhere in the US as long as they are part of PPO's doctors and hospital network which exists in all 50 states. It also covers urgent care/emergency care outside of the US.
The other caveat is that the doctor has to accept Medicare patients.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
However, the doctor(s) still need to accept Medicare patients.